Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2013

Teddybear, where is your seroma and how did things come out? I am one that developed a seroma in my breast after stage 2. It was large (i think 240cc drained the first time) and distorted my breast. Fixed up at 2b. Dr S couldn't believe it and said he'd only had one other patient develop a breast seroma at that point. And hers had gone undetected behind an implant. My scenario was very peculiar, though. It just proves how not everyone is the same and the human body will continue to surprise even the most experienced.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2013

There's a scar treatment called Invicible that also works on the color. it might be worth a try. http://www.inviciblescars.com/

Most of my scars are quite good except for a couple inches on the outside edge of my left breast. I think some suture knots just didn't dissolve well (I was able to pull out one). That part is thicker, more red and lumpy. My skin is fair so some redness on all the scars have lingered.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2013

Mother...I had Dr. S.  When I had the drains  after stage 1 there was no compression garment worn.  When the drains came out, (10 days for the abd. ones to be pulled), I wore the black compression garment during the day and the white, less intense binder while  sleeping.  I can't recall how long I was supposed to wear that for but it was either one or two weeks, I think one.   After stage two I wore the black compression garment they gave me, (same one as after stage 1)for a total of two weeks, I had no drains, and I wore it 24/7 except for the half hour or so I took a shower.  I am no longer in it.  I am 3 weeks and three days out from stage 2.  I no longer need to paint betadyne on my abodominal scar, the glue is all off.  The glue is off the scar in the inframammary fold, but still on the area from the aureola to the inframammary fold so even though it looks closed to me I am putting betadyne still on that area.  Today I wore my own bra with no underwire for the first time.  I have four days of tennis planned next week and a five mile hike.  I took them literally when they said back to activity in four weeks.  Hope this helps.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited February 2013

My stage 1 hip flaps with Dr. Sullivan & trahan is scheduled for Mar. 1st. & I woke up yesterday with body aches & slight headache :( I thought it was a flu, but woke up today with some red on my only remaining right breast. It was not radiated. I still have expander in it. It feels like fluid is building up. I sent a picture to my ps here in ca. & he immediately called me and put me on Cipro. He is in Canada, but will be back to office on Monday and I will see him at 4:30. He is thinking I will have to cancel surgery in Nola and have expander removed here and heal before rescheduling. I called center and talked to pa Laura. She said to wait until Monday to see if antibiotic works. I can't believe this is happening!!! Originally, my surgery was supposed to happen today, so I guess this could be a blessing in disquise. My body is achy! Please pray that I can't get rid of this or should I not gamble and just cancel? Ladies any input would be helpful!!! You are all my sisters! Xo

• Russell1
    edited February 2013

Pamela I'm so glad you are ready to get back in action!!! :)

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Russell - my heart goes out to you.  You don't need this challenge.  But, I really think waiting is not a bad idea.  By Monday you will know if the Cipro works and with Laura's help, make the decision.  There is nothing you can do over the weekend, but rest and take Cipro.

• Russell1
    edited February 2013

Thanks Marty! You are so right:) I am trying not to stress...it's not worth it:)

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

Russell... After my first stage I I developed a bacterial infection at my port site. My whole chest was swollen and red and I had a fever. They put me on an antibiotic on a Thursday (Bactrum) and I had emergency surgery to remove the port that day. The following Wednesday (6 days later) I was on a plane to NOLA and had unrelated surgery on Thursday. So Stage I July 19, emergency surgery August 11, wound surgery Aug 18 and DIEP flap Aug 23. Don't rule anything out.

• Russell1
    edited February 2013

Bdavis..thanks for sharing that info:) I'm hoping for antibiotic to work and get me over this . I really would like expander removed and flaps placed all at once. Laura did say they won't place a flap with infection going on.

• Pamela44
    edited February 2013

Don't cancel yet. See how it goes over the next couple of days and then between Nola and your local ps make the decision. So sorry to hear this is happening now.

• Russell1
    edited February 2013

Thanks Pamela:) Monday will be the day. I wish I could go to sleep and wake up on Monday! Lol.

Laying here, feeling yucky and can't get anything done.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

I am out and back at hotel. Definitely feel the pain more this time. Dr. M is thinking A 2b in 3 mo and then a 2c. Today: breast lift, fat grafting from flanks and back, dog ears, reduction of what she calls the "pushin cushion"! Ha ha my 2c will be scar revision and fat grafting from inner thighs. Too much for out patient surgery that lasted 5 hours as it was. Just wanted to check in. Time for pain meds.

Magna in Chicago was great. Everyone! Dr. m is coming to see me at the hotel tomorrow. Bye! Time to sleep. I just got home one hour ago. I haven't peed yet. Walk tomorrow as I am still very dizzy. Nighty night.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

Sleep well Cherrie. Good to hear from you.

• Russell1
    edited February 2013

Cherrie glad you get to rest and take your meds! Hugs!

• Pamela44
    edited February 2013

Cherrie, happy to hear that all went well.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

So my king cake arrived today from the Center.... So I had an impromptu post Mardi Gras party... Sharing some New Orleans Mardi Gras traditions.... Thinking of you all....

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Cherrie, glad to hear you are doing well and happily tucked into the hotel.  Enjoy those pain meds!

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2013

Cherrie - glad it went well and now you know the whole plan ... Despite the snow!

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2013

Cider......what was thought to be a seroma turned out to be swelling. The large lump was right above my incision on my waist. Laura tried to drain it but no fluid came out. I was told to wear some compression garment and that should help. I had a seroma under my arm that had to be drained 3 times and had gotten infected after My stage 1 so I wanted to make sure this lump wasn't like that. Janine reminded me that even though I look healed on the outside the inside is still healing up until well after a year. So needless to say give it time and remember that I am still healing.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited February 2013

Cherrie....horray....heal well and get some rest

Joellelee--I had no compression after stage 1 with DR M.

Russell--crap crap crap...what awful timing.  Rest up this weekend and I hope that you feel better by Monday.  Be careful.  I had a cellulitis infection 2 weeks before my diep and was on antibiotics up to the surgery.  Still not sure if we should have gone ahead as planned as that was the side that ended up failing with no explanation as to why.  Just something to think about.  Always best to errr of the side of caution for some things.

Maggie

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2013

Wow, so much happens here when you don't check in for a few days!  So glad to hear so many on the other side of surgery, feeling positive and healing well!  Russel, I hope this infection clears quickly.  It sounds like you were on it.  Betsy, king cake sounds great!  Who got the baby?  

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2013

Hello everyone... I have not been on this site for a long time... I have had a local recurrence and I am now looking into a flap reconstruction. Currently I am booked for a lat flap but cannot get my head around taking muscle. I have a phone consultation with Dr.Massey tonight. I may be a candidate for the gap but I know I am not a DEIP one. Only problem is that I need to get this surgery done soon so any feed back regarding the lat flap vs the free flap would be great .

Thanks

Marcy

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

Betsy I am grateful you shared the "can't go #2" issue after your 2b. This time I started the stool softener 3 days before surgery as was suggested by someone on here when you had issues. It worked and I am regular this time. Last two surgeries it was 7 days before I could get any thing to work, even Miralax for a few days. Passing the tip along for all coming up next . Much better recovery when we don't have constipation discomfort too.

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Marcy - welcome.  I am sorry you have had a reoccurance.  Dr. Massey is great and will really help you with your decision.  She has been on all sides of this issue.  She does Stage 1 in NOLA with one of the Breast Center docs as co-surgeon.  They all play very nicely together. They are perfectionists and know how to create a wonderful end result.  I am 3.5 months out from my Stage 1 with Dr. M.  Just remember that so many PS recommend lat flap as it is the only procedure they are comfortable preforming.  I looked at lat flap many times during the 27 years I had implants and never could justify the loss of major muscle with the outcome.  Also, I wasn't comfortable with scars that I couldn't cover with a bathing suit or bra and panties.

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Anita - thanks for the reminder on the stool softener.  Miralax takes a couple of days to work, but is effective.  I have a gi tract that responds poorly to travel or life in general.  I think I better make a note on my calendar to be sure to begin both at least 3 days out.

• Pamela44
    edited February 2013

Marcy, I nixed lat flap which was presented to me first by a ps. I play tennis and swim and it would effect that.  In addition I would not be happy with the back scars which could not be covered.  As long as it is "below the panty line" I'm ok with any scars. I would vote for gap flap.  Get all the info from Dr. Massey and then make your decision.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Leigh Ann.. No one got the baby, but only a third was eaten... then this morning I see the baby next to my sink. Apparently my husband had some cake after I went to bed... So the husband is now on the hook for the next cake.

Marcy. I just spent an hour on the phone with a woman (who is also reading this thread) and she had a lat flap many years ago, and said it was the single worst decision she made. Lat flap was first offered to me as well but a PS who doesn't do DIEP/GAP flaps, and I too didn't want the muscle loss or the back scars... I have had both GAP and DIEP flaps (and also rotational flap, using lat fat without the muscle taken), and using the butt or abs is by far the best option IMO. I realize you need to decide quick, so that's what I would do... either with Dr Massey or Drs Dellacroce/Sullivan... Perhaps you should see about insurance and availability and choose your doc that way.

Anita... It all worked out in the end, but I did have a few days where I was just waiting for something to happen.

• netty46
    netty46 Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2013

I never had a MX in 2000 he could clearly see I had a partial breast with no nipple in fact he first tried implants on me but they turned hard due to radiated breast another error I understand. Another surgeon told me he should have known not to even attempt implants on a radiated breast. So after it turned hard he removed them and did the diep flap on me. I think he had eyeballs and saw 2 breast on my chest and should have known this breast with no nipple needed to be removed before connecting the flap.he thought he did himself. For years telling me not to do mammo on the breast. Only to be discovered by another surgeon in 2010 that it was never done. When confronted by my new surgeon and reviewing reports Chang was confused himself and realized in fact he connected flap to my breast. Tissue that was removed and sent to lab was all labeled and even on that report not one mention of right breast tissue removed. That's how this was all discovered. But when I would email or call with concerns he always said I could never get cancer there and all the hard necrosis would go away in time and it just got worse.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Wow Netty... I am so glad I didn't go to him.. I am so surprised cause he gets accolades from so many.

• lfk04
    lfk04 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2013

Hi Marcy- The best advice i can contribute to this conversation is whatever you do, DO NOT HAVE LAT FLAPS.. The plastic surgeons really dont tell you your limitations and there are plenty!! I cannot swim the crawl stroke, cannot play tennis without pain and really cannot ski anymore with poles... I have limited range of motion of my arms and i am always uncomfortable ( 8 years out!).. I wish i had known about DIEP flaps in 2004 but they were not very popular then and not one PS in Philadelphia or New York at the time suggested it to me.. Live and learn... If i can help in any way let me know