Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

Yay Audrella!! Thanks for posting. Am on for tomorrow and don't know what is being done. My pre-op is before surgery at 1:30 Chicago time.

Sounds like you are doing great and will continue to do so. The anesthesia got me last time too along with pain meds and antibiotic. Hoping for an easier time too!!!!

Wow you had a lot done. Were you an out-patient??

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited February 2013

It's been a while since I've checked in, but everyone seems to be doing well. It's nice to see that many of the women who were had there stage 1's around the time I did are now doing their stage 2's. Wishing you all the very best.

A friend of a friend just called after returning from a consult with Dr D. I was glad to be able to pay it forward and answer her questions like many of you did for me. She's quite thin, about one hundred pounds and has had failed lat flaps, and then implants that aren't working out. Dr D is talking about doing what I think is the body lift -- is that the procedure that is a combination of abdominal and hip fat? He did mention to her that if there was failure, she really didn't have a donor site for another flap, so I'm sure she's nervous about that. She's a pediatrician, so obviously savvy about medical procedures, just wants to talk to some more actual patients. It would be great if I could introduce her to others who were in the same situation, no fat to spare if another surgery was needed. Please let me know if you'd be willing to correspond or chat.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Great news, Audrella!  Good to hear you are doing well.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2013

I didn't really have a plan going into the pre-op consult with Dr. D.  I just let him mark me up how he wanted to and he then showed me in the mirror what the marks were for.  I was delighted when I saw all the lipo he was going to do!  It was a LOT.

It was planned from the beginning that I would have 1 overnight stay at the hospital.

Good luck tomorrow Cherrie!  I will be thinking of you.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

Hello ladies and Cherrie I think I hugged Dr M a few times at least! I just love her so much.  She always comes to work loaded with compassion and humor.  I love her new brunette look.  She has some gold tones highlighted through and it looks so pretty.  She has really lost some weight since my 2a and looks fantastic. My 2b was very smooth.  I am home and was only at Magna for about four hours total.  I think surgery was probably less than two hours.  I came out of anesthesia very well and feel pretty good so far.  Holy hallelujah for nipples!! I am so happy to have them back. The nipple guards make me look like I have torpedo tits lol! They are HUGE. The only lipo was on my inner thighs and was grafted to righty for symmetry. It's looking pretty good so far.  I am taking the narcotics for pain - dilaudid and oxy for break through.  My thighs feel like I have been horse back riding and forgot to get off the horse. It's a cramping kind of pain. I don't have any discomfort with my breasts or nipples.  I am getting around fine and my husband even told me to go sit down and quit prancing around here.  About Magna - what a nice little intimate setting it is.  It is similar to going to a doctor's office and then they cart you away to an operating room.  The preop and recovery room is very similar to a doctor's office setting.  The staff was wonderful, the nurses were really genuine and caring and took care of any little thing I passed there way.  I liked the anesthesia staff too.  Everyone was personal and down to earth.  It was a nice little place and I would return without question or consideration.  Very good overall experience.  Cherrie you will be in great hands tomorrow.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

Jenifer... I'd be happy to talk... I in essence had the body lift, just in more than one surgery... Of course after using butt and abs and needing a little fix on my left breast, I was concerned as well... and I still need a little more projection on left IMO... All flaps are done for me. He has used hip, abs and now aux/lat. Sounds like your friend may just need to bite the bullet...

Judy, you need to arrive two days before surgery and can leave one week, one day after surgery. So if surgery were Thursday, arrive Tuesday, depart Friday a week later. That is the minimum.

Audrella... You sound great!!

Cherrie... good luck.

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Anita you sound wonderful. So close to being done. Thanks for the update on our doc. Sounds like she is working hard and having fun!

Cherrie I am thinking about you. Not worried about your surgery, just the snow.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited February 2013

Thanks Betsy, I'll send you her contact info!

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2013

Well, it looks like I am next up! Had a great visit with Dr. D today. He is going to work his magic and do a little bit of everything. I told him I wanted him to remove the 30 pounds I gained this year and he said "no problem!" I think he thought I was kidding!!!! :) my surgery is 7:30 tomorrow and I am ready!

Audrella, I think you were gone before I got there today! I didn't make it over to the hospital until 4:30. My post op is Monday, too, so maybe I will see you then!

Glad everyone has had a smooth week...hope I continue the trend!

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2013

Wily glad to hear you are done and doing well.

Cherrie good luck tomorrow!

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Dianne... you are funny... When I told Dr D to just go ahead do whatever, he did... HE IS AMAZING!!!! Good luck. The trend will continue.

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013

Cherrie,  Everyone and every surgery is different.  With my stage IIa  (ab revision) and IIb I recovered with out any bad nausea and stayed the 23 hour out patient limit in the hospital.  I left the hospital with my GF and we drove to get my meds then took a walk on the beach somewhere around Mt. Pleasant (I think).  I did this with both II a & b surgeries.  Not long walks but maybe 10-15 minutes.  With my stage II c I was very nauseous, but was better after they changed my med and put me on Finnegan for the nausea.  It makes you really drowsy, but that was good because I slept it off.  Felt refreshed in the morning.  

Betsy,  Was the brown tape  and kelocote given to you by the NOLA Docs or can you get it with/without a prescription?  I'd like to try some.  

Cherrie and Dianne, will be thinking of you both. Good luck and post when you can!

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Linda.. The NOLA docs did give it to me, but you can buy them OTC.

Brown tape 3M Micropore Paper Tape - Tan, 1" wide -1 roll is sold at Amazon

Kelo-cote http://www.kelocote.com/

• Lulu2012
    Lulu2012 Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2013

Thank you Betsy for the advice.

Sounds like you are blessed with great genes as for my part nearly 1 year later and the scars are still there, reddish/purplish completely visible.

Pity NOLA never told me about the 3M tape, just the Kelo-cote gel to which I had a reaction.

I presume it's too late for me now but I am still curious: what is it about the 3M tape that works? Is it the coating in the tape that stick to your skin or is it just the fact that it holds the scar together?

Cheers, Lulu

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

Good morning. I don't report to Magna for 4 1/2 hours yet. I need things to do so I don't think about my growling stomach and coffee headache that is sure to come.

Anita thank you for telling me about Magna. That helps. It sounds like you are doing great. That is what we all like to hear. It looks like we didn't get too much snow. I hear the trucks plowing now. Hopefully the freezing drizzle will back off too! I don't want this canceled.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I slept well and am quite calm. See you on the other side.

Cherrie❄⛄🏩

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

Cherrie I was early to arrive by 30 minutes and they took me back right away anyway. To kill another hour, take a nice long shower and try going back to sleep for a couple hours if you can. Please share how you are doing when you can. Thinking of you!

Audrella, happy things went well. Rest and take it easy. Lots of work you went through!

Harmony, thinking of you too. I hope your recovery is going smoothly.

Dianne, good luck today. Thinking of you.

I feel great this morning. Thighs might feel a bit rougher than yesterday. Planning to spend the day with lifetime and plenty of lil naps.

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2013

Anyone else going to be at the center today? I will be there to have Laura do an aspiration of a seroma I have. I was surprised that after 4 months after my stage 2 I would develop a seroma.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

lulu... The 3m brown tape is something they gave in 2011, but I had to ask for it this year. So I think they are more into Kelo-cote... The brown tape seems to wrinkle as you wear it, so I am not sure how it works, but appears to "massage" the scar. My opinion is never too late for scar treatment.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited February 2013

Lulu...The center sent me some mepiform which is like a brown tape with gel on it. I find it does wrinkle mainly when I wear jeans, but I am doing the best I can with it. I've only been using it for about a week or so, but haven't seen a difference yet.

Willy & Audrella glad you are both doing well!!

Harmony hoping you are recovering nicely!!

Good luck to Cherrie and Diane today!!!

Chelle

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2013

So wonderful to hear the chatter and the updates... Everyone sounds so positive..... I love hearing about everyone's surgery and recovery.... I wish the best for you all.

I need to make notes about the brown tape and silicone gel.  I know for my robotic hyst I had 3-4 incisions... All healed invisible excpet for the larger incision above my navel.  I think that's where the camera goes in etc... but not sure.  Anyway, after recovery I remembered when I would get up from the couch I would pull it terribly and almost feel like it was tearing... my scar now is this big ugly keloid looking thing.  I'm not sure if it's from it pulling apart and wonder if the brown tape would have helped?  I certainly don't want the DIEP scar to look like that.

I've heard you all talking about compression garments.  Could someone expand on that... Is that ONLY with stage 2 after lipo?  I so hope that I won't need that after Stage 1... it will be a miserable summer if so.   I also heard someone mention "merena" I think... I know you must not be talking about the IUD... but I have no idea what it is... Is it a bra?

Thank you ladies... I hope you all have a Happy Healthy Weekend....

• Lulu2012
    edited February 2013

Hi Teddybear71,

Sorry to hear about your seroma post 2.

When I left NOLA after my Stage 1, I was worried myself about a seroma and in fact I got 2 on each gluteal side that needed aspiration. 

With that in mind, the first thing I asked Laura after my Stage 2 was will I need to watch out for any seromas? She said absolutely no, just doesn't happen.

But frankly, I am so happy I saw your post as there is a little pocket I have on the right end side that looks like a little seroma and had no clue what it could be as I had it in my head as Laura said "that seromas don't show up after Stage 2".

When you see Laura, could you please ask her how is that possible that you developed one? Was it  really obvious and painful?

Looking forward to hearing from you and all the best for now,

Lulu

• Lulu2012
    edited February 2013

Hi Betsy,

Thank you for your response regarding scars. My scars did really widen unfortunately post Stage 2 and I keep on thinking the 3M tape could have really helped. I feel really down now to know that there is something I could have done if only I had known.Frown

In any event, I appreciate you sharing your tips.

All the best,

Lulu

• Lulu2012
    edited February 2013

Hello Chelle,

Thank you for you input about the mepiform. Hadn't heard of it when I was in NOLA.

Please keep me posted as to your progress with it and how long it takes to see a difference?

LuluSmile

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Mother - whether you wear compression after stage 1 is up to your doctors.  If your surgery is in NOLA or with Dr Massey, you wear a compression garment from knees to underbust for several weeks (the length of time depends on your doctor).  This is to help prevent seromas and give your abdominal inscision support while healing.  It has hook/eye and zipper closures and they cut slits in the front for the drain tubes.  It really isn't so bad and I found it comforting to have the support.  It is also used after Stage 2 liposuction.

Marena is a manufacturer of compression garments (marenagroup.com).  It is an alternative to the Designs Veronique we are given out of surgery.  This is a personal purchase.  Many of the women find it more comfortable to the skin than the Veronique.  Personally, I like both.  Good thing is the Center will provide you with the compression garments so don't buy ahead of time.  I wanted a second garment for after my drains came out and purchased from Marena.

Your DIEP will take care of the bumpy scar remaining from your hysterectomy.  Some of my abdominal incision is thin and some wider.  I also have several small knots or lumps under the incision line.  I believe that Dr M will take care of this at Stage 2.

The biggest thing to remember is that Stage 1 is all about getting the tissue in place and the blood supply flowing.  Stage 2 is aesthetics and symmetry.  I keep having to remind myself of this.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited February 2013

Lulu, I will let you know. I didn't hear about this stuff after my surgeries either. When I sent pictures back in January, she mentioned it and sent me a few sheets. I didn't start wearing it until about a week ago. I used the Kelocote, but it didn't help my hip/butt scars at all. My breast scars look pretty good in comparison and I used the kelocote on those too, so who knows.

Keep the faith and remember I am hear if you ever need to talk.

Mother, I bought the Merena after stage 2 once I was drain free. The one you receive from the center is much better while you still have drains. After stage 1, I didn't use anything other than what the center provided me.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2013

jenlee, I sent you a pm.  I would be happy to speak with your friend.  I ended up with four flaps in two different surgeries.  Happy to help.

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italian

• lfk04
    lfk04 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2013

Hi- Jen- thanks for posting this... My name is Linda and i did just come back from NOLA . Consulted with Dr. D and he suggested body flap.. Really conflicted because i had Lat Flap reconstruction in 2004 and it was horrible! Noone should ever even consider it. But, i went on to have many implant failures and now contemplating the body flap... Have horrible memories of my surgery and postop care. Dr. D said he would replace my implants if that is what i wanted... Has anyone else been in this situation? Has anyone had Dr. D put in implants and how did it go? any advise, counsel would be appreciated. I know the Breast Center is the place for me, Just cannot decide what to do... Looking forward to talking to Betsy.. thanks!

• Lulu2012
    edited February 2013

Dear Chelle,

Thank you so much for your words and continued support! I really appreciate it. 

I had the same experience with regards to the Kelocote: it didn't work.

In fact, it burnt my skin. So after a couple of tries, both on the breasts and on the hip flap scars, I decided it definitely wasn't for me. Not sure what ingredient in the gel I was allergic to but it frankly scared me and I think in my case it actually made my scars a lot worse.

Hugs to you and I am here for you too whenever you need to talk,

Lulu

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

About scar treatment... I don't think there is any one treatment that is a miracle product... I just think certain circumstances and genetics along with some form of treatment is the key... But if you have non-elastic skin, or multiple surgeries in the same location you will not have as much success regardless of the treatment.

That said, I will use the tape and gel, and will inquire about the mediform... sounds interesting.

Linda... I look forward to our talk... Dr D is amazing and whatever he thinks is probably the way to go.

Mother...Compression. Yes, compression after stage I is what they will put you in. I had surgery in July and had drains for almost 9 weeks, so I was compressed in July/August/September and much of my time was in NOLA... SO. hot doesn't even begin to describe it. BUT its short lived and you make do. I am now three weeks post stage IIb and wearing my marena. I don't have to, but for best results, I am... Its not a problem. It is also February. Come mid March, I will take it off and head to the Caribbean. Now THAT will be liberating!!

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited February 2013

My PS didn't recommend compression after my stage 1...what is the benefit?  I couldn't imagine wearing something like that but I know many of you do, so i am curious!