Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2013

Hello everyone, finally checking in after my stage 2 yesterday. Dr. D worked me over pretty good and I am feeling it today! Now I know what y'all were talking about when you said the toilet seat is a torture device!!

I'll be staying an extra night, because I am still fairly lightheaded and woozy. I did manage to walk two laps on the floor today, but that's it. The shower will have to wait until tomorrow-- just can't stand up that long right now.

I have 5 drains and 2 of them a giving some serious output. They are the ones in my hips and they are getting 70-100 cc's every two hours. So now the nurses have me in the surgical vest, the compression garment, six ABD pads stuffed in the compression girdle AND a super tight binder to try to slow down the drainage. I am trussed up tight as a drum!! No part of my body is exposed, so I have no idea what all this looks like. I can tell, however, that my breasts are much smaller than they were....and this is a good thing!

Hope everyone is doing well!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

I know this subject has been talked about so I apologize in advance for not paying close attention. Dr. Massy said that the compression I need does not have to go to my knees since i had no lypo from there yet. however she wants the compression to go high. She suggested two pair of Spanx at one time. Would you still recommend the Marena over that. If so, how do I get a coupon for this. I do like the ope crotch of the Marena.

By the way, when I asked Dr. M about length of time in compression she said "forever". I love her sense of humor. The longer you wear it the better the results. She knows most girls will not make 6 months.

She visited me at the hotel today. That amazes me. I love her darker hair and she looks great.

Pain is intense and is taking 2 Dilantin? at a time every 4 hours. I am the one who hates narcotics, but this is the only thing that helps.😄

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

20 percent off marena until Feb 28 enter the coupon code VALENTINE on the checkout page.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

Good to hear from you Dianne. Hope your output slows down quickly. Cherrie I am taking the narcotics too. Lipo area is so tender.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Of course I didn't take measurements before surgery, so I don't know what size to get. I am 5' 2 and 140 lbs. I wear a size 10 pant/12. Any ideas on this??

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2013

Which Marena garment do people wear?

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Cherrie - my Veronique from Dr M was an XXL.  I got my marena in an XL.  I also got an L, but it was a bit too tight for comfort.  I am only an inch taller than you are.  Otherwise sizing is the same.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

Cherrie.. My Veronique was XXL and I wear a M and L in Marena. I actually prefer the M.

Dianne... Glad you are on the other side... I was also woozy and wanted to stay another night, but the nurses discouraged me because they feared my insurance might not cover it... Although after my first stage I, I did stay two nights and it was covered. Rest up.

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013

Marcy, I too am in agreement with all the ladies here gently discouraging you from the Lat.  I am so happy with my DIEP and those that have had the Gap are happy as well.  I hope some of this helps you decide.  Marty is so right about other PS that don't do this type of flap reconstruction, so can't and won't recommend any other reconstruction but what they can do.  

Cherrie,  Hooray! So glad all is over and you are home in your own bed and that the trip home wasn't too bad. Sounds like you had A LOT done.  You are going to be awesome. Take care and rest well

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2013

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I just got off the phone with Dr. Massey she is wonderful.  Just wondering what is the average hospital stay in New Orleans and do you travel once the drains are removed or do you go home with them?

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Hi Marcy!  Dr M wants you in town the day before your surgery for pre-op testing - an all day affair so you will need to arrive the day before.  Then you are typically in the hospital for 4 nights.  She had us stay for 10 days.  So, my surgery was on a Friday.  I arrived in NOLA on Wednesday, had pre-op all day on Thursday.  Surgery Friday with hospital discharge on Tuesday.  My post op was on Friday and we flew out on Sunday.

The drains stay in while you travel.  Typically, the breast drains come out first.  Mine were removed at 15 days.  My helper doctor pulled them for me.  My hip drains stayed in longer.  My husband pulled them for me.  Actually, pulling the drains was painless, but I was so nervous I took dilauded and ativan.  Slept for the afternoon.

The drains are a scary thought if you have never had them, but in reality they were no problem to take care of and to pin inside clothing.  

Did you schedule a date?

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited February 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm jumping on the DIEP train. I've got surgery scheduled for March 26. I'm surprised they could get to me so soon. But I'm wanting to get started so hopefully I can get it all done within this year for insurance purposes.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Marcy, you will love Dr. Massey. She is a perfectionist. My hubby calls her Picasso.

You will learn so much from this site. This is where I got all my info. I consulted with two other PS's who wanted to do a Lat and the other my stomach muscle. No way was I losing core muscle. Then I stumbled onto this thread, consulted by phone with Dr. M and it was a great decision.

I was in the hospital 4 days and stayed for 12 in all.

Ask questions as they come. You will get tons of support here.

• marcypt
    edited February 2013

Thanks MartyJ

Yes i did have drains before and didn't care for  them... but how was the flight with drains??? I would be a little freaked out about that.  I guess that is what everyone does after their surgery.

They are looking in getting me in in the next few weeks

• marcypt
    edited February 2013

B davis.. i see that you are in the princeton area.. i live in that area as well.  Did you have all of your reconstruction at NOLA or did you have some done in Princeton?

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Welcome Judy!!

Dianne it is nice to hear from you. Are you staying in NOLA for a few days? Sounds like you had a lot done. Take care and keep on your drugs. It is how I am functioning right now.

• marcypt
    edited February 2013

Also did most of you stay at the Homewood suites?? and did any of you get insurance to cover some of your hotel?

• Kim_L
    Kim_L Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2013

Hi everyone!  I'm leaving in about 12 hours for NOLA.  I imagine I will be able to check in again before my BMX and stage 1 reconstruction surgery with Dr. D. on Tuesday, but I really don't know for sure.  I hope that I have all the things I need (including lots of courage, loose enough fitting pants, robust blood supplies everywhere, and a strong capacity to heal).  Please wish me well (silently and invisibly if you prefer!).

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Kim, you will do very well. Enjoy NOLA.

Marcy, flying with drains wasn't too bad. Dr M will give you a medical letter, but be aware they are easily forged so TSA can be rightly suspicious. I shudder to think what could be carried in those drain bulbs. I just took an open approach. Told them right off that I had drains and a medical letter, then offered to let them swipe the drains with the special pad that they check for chemicals. They did check. I wasn't offended, I prefer safety and knew it wasn't personal. I also had the zippers on my compression garment set off the alarms on a flight several weeks out.

We stayed at Homewood and it was perfect. They have a light supper on weeknights and breakfast daily. Insurance won't pay, but it would probably count as medical travel for itemized deductions. Dr M's office can also help you get into Hope Lodge, which is free. It is like a Ronald McDonald House for adult cancer patients. The lodge in NOLA is a bit isolated and I understand many like to have a rental car.

When scheduling flights, if you must change planes try not to have too tight a schedule. On the return, especially. We had 45 minutes, but with a late first leg arrival and every 80+ year old woman wanting to ride the handicap shuttles it was the most difficult part. I think Betsy has mentioned direct flights from Newark.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited February 2013

Marcy, my cancer policy paid a benefit for my hotel for all 3 stages of DIEP as well as my trip to NOLA for tattoos. Also they paid for my flight. If you have a cancer policy, you may be in luck!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited February 2013

Marcy,

If you don't have a cancer policy, you can write off medical expenses such as airfare, mileage/gas (to any doctor appt, chemo, rads, PT, driving out-of-state for surgery, etc.), lodging, parking, tolls, insurance premiums, copays, deductibles, OOPs, prescriptions, etc. 

No meals though!

Here is IRS link I used for my 2012 medical expenses.  Having breast cancer and all these endless treatments and surgeries have added up easily to be written off at least in my situation. 

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf 

• motherandchild5
    edited February 2013

Good luck Kim... I'm nervous with you but you'll do great.

Judy, You took my March 26th date!  I had it for a bit of time before I decided I just couldn't be away from my 5 kids on Easter.  I'm passing all my good luck and positive vibes to you!

Dianne that seems like a lot of output for the drains on a Stage 2.  I didn't realize that Stage 2 was such a big surgery.

OH... and what was everyone's Merena outfit of choice and should I buy ahead of time since there is a sale?... or is there always a sale going on?

• motherandchild5
    edited February 2013

MartyJ.... Also, is it the consensus from most post-op patients to stay at the Homewood Suites?  I know I've heard that hotel name float around for a bit.

What about for the 2 nights pre-op?  Any "must stay" recommendations?

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2013

Mother, for my Stage 1 I stayed at the Hope Lodge pre-op to save money. Note that you can't check in past a certain time, so if you fly in to MSY late, you will need to have other lodging arrangements. The Hope Lodge is far from everything and we didn't have a car, but we worked out with the Center's car service to have a block of time after the pre-op appointment for my husband and I to walk to the Quarter and have some sight-seeing time.  It was nice to stretch our legs and you walk by several nice museums en route.  You can also take the St Charles trolley.  For Stage 2, we stayed at the Bienville House pre-op.  It's right in the Quarter and the Center has set up a discount for patients.  Have you seen the Accommodations listing on the Center's web site with all of the hotels where you can get a discount as a patient?  Some have discount codes that you can use when setting up your reservation online.  I think Homewood Suites worked this way too.  Homewood Suites is nice post-op because the bathroom area is big for drain and bandage care (although those floor-to-ceiling mirrors provide a bit of a shock at first) and the breakfast and dinner buffets help the pocketbook.  Any breakfast buffet with a big bubbling pot of grits is fine by me.  The suites are very affordable and it's nice to have separate living and sleeping spaces so your caregiver can be more comfortable.  We had groceries delivered from Whole Foods and used our kitchenette quite a bit.  

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Mother... Homewood is great post op because of its proximity, all the food they give you and the size of the suite (including kitchen), but pre-op you could try the Monteleone... You can also get medical rates there.

I would not order the Marena prior as you really don't know your size... and they do always seem to have a discount. And you MUST call them for proper sizing. Their online calculator was way off.

Marcy... Yes, I live in Princeton. I had my lumpectomy and chemo locally, but traveled to NOLA for GAP/DIEP/revisions and all consults... 5 trips in all... but my consults were my choice, and I stayed with a friend, so it was cheap... You can get flights directly out of Newark, but very recently Frontier has very cheap flights out of the Mercer airport, with free parking... I would be happy to meet up with you and even show you my scars and boobs. Do realize that I had surgery just 3.5 weeks ago so my scars are a little fresh. It was a 2b surgery. Where do you live?

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Oh.. and good luck Kim... You'll do fabulously!!!! Say hi to Dr D!

• motherandchild5
    edited February 2013

LAStar...

Wonderful info.... Thank you so much for the heads up on the Homewood.  That sounds like a good choice and I had no idea Whole Foods would deliver foods!  I think it would be great to have a kitchenette within the recovery room....

Thank you so much for the info.... I'll check out the website on the center's webpage.

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Mother, because you will be having Dr. D as your primary, the center will provide the car service for you.  Marcy, with Dr. M, you don't get to use the car service.  It has to do with the separation of practices.  It really is not an inconvenience, but may effect decisions about where to stay

Do go to the Breast Center website and look at their travel and lodgings info.  There are discounts available at many hotels.  My DH wanted to stay at Monteleone as he hadn't stayed there in 40 years, but it was unavailable.  We stayed at the Monteleone's sister property Beinville House for 2 nights before surgery.  It is lovely, has a great rate for the Center patients.  In the Quarter, but on the edge.  Parking rates in the quarter can be a bit stiff.

We moved to Homewood Suites after surgery.  It is located in the Central Business District right on the edge of the Garden District.  I wanted to recuperate and take walks without fear of running into people having too much fun in the French Quarter.  As a Charlestonian, I am very familiar with uneven sidewalks in Historic Districts and didn't want to give myself any more challenges than necessary.  Having the suite was very helpful as it helped force me to get out of bed and sit on the sofa for periods of time.  Lovely area for walking with parks and cemeteries not far away.

Because my surgery was at Fairway in Covington and not at the Center in NOLA, we had a rental car for the 2 days pre-op and while I was in the hospital.  I did some fancy talking when we picked up the car at Budget at the airport and convinced them to let me drop off the car downtown on Canal Street at no extra charge.  Once my DH got me settled into the hotel, he returned the car thus saving the parking fees and one less thing to worry about at the airport.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

And welcome Judy.. I see you were diagnosed the same month as me... What surgery have you done already?

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

OMG... I was taking pictures for the picture forum on my phone and emailing them to myself... And there is some cross wiring with my phone and my son, and my latest pictures went to HIS phone... I just found out... He said he was in class when they came through and he just deleted them... but OMG... how awful.