Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited March 2013

Paula -- I have to admit to the initial horror and feeling somewhat "Frankenstein" when I had my first and second surgeries. I heal well and was diligent about treating my scars, so they are barely visible. Still have one to go -- not looking for perfection but balance (I am a unilateral), and know that Dr. D. will make it so. It is always breath-taking (one way or the other) when we get a load of our bodies right out of surgery ... Betsy is right ... as Dr. D. would say, the "tincture of time" does wonders. Not only that we heal, but that we become accustomed to the "new" us. Cancer (or the threat of) forever changes us and eventually, IMHO, the mind catches up with the reality of the repaired body and we are beautiful in our selves once again.

Sounds like you are doing so great, Mags. Had us worried there with the fever and possible flap failure, but faith, will and good medicine pulled you through! It all gets better every day now ...

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013

Paula, you're just 4 days post op.  You've still got so much healing to do.  I recall after my stage 1, my scars looked awful.  I was pulled so tight that I had puckering above and below the scars.  This all resolved with time.  In time, I'm sure your scars will look so much better.  Remember, they are all stitched and glued right now.

So glad you are doing well Maggie! 

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2013

Paula Kay- you are reacting now to a change in body image and the trauma associated with it.  You were not prepared with the knowledge of what exactly was going to happen so it came as a shock.  Lifting the breasts IS a different look then the droopy natural ones but it may actually be a better look once you get used to it, or at least a "different" look that you will internalize and come to appreciate.  I suspect that they will look great and with time they will seem and feel like "yours". It's amazing how when I look at mine I no longer "see" my old pair.  It feels like I always had them- to a degree.  The scar from the breast straight down was the old one that will heal again.  The scar at the bottom will likely not be seen since its in the fold once it's healed.  The ones around the aureolae I am told fade to practically nothing.  Please keep your spirits up and await the beautiful transformation you will have!

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited March 2013

Celtic -

I love your words:

Cancer (or the threat of) forever changes us and eventually, IMHO, the mind catches up with the reality of the repaired body and we are beautiful in our selves once again.

How hopeful and beautiful ! Thanks much!

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2013

I could name you individually, (but would leave someone out).  You inspire me daily. Life is a bag of mixed blessings. Like the Book of Ruth, something bad/negative happens to the ladies, but wait good prevails.  I know I sound down, I really am not.  I am grateful that I did not have cancer and I had options most of you angels did not.  Sure I am anxious.  But I have faith in the Lord to work all things toward good.  I know the skill and compassion of these doctors ~ and the experience and wisdom of you ladies!  Recipe for success in my opinion.

Hugs and Prayers to you all

Paula_Kay

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

Paula, I am 3.5 weeks out of stage 2a and have to admit that I had many of these feelings. I too had a breast lift with a vertical scar and nipples cut out and moved up. I did cry and my husband does not know this. However, I kicked myself in the butt because I know that I have to heal and I would be happy with the end result. Not there yet. I have one breast smaller than the other and scar revision to do yet.

I appreciate it when others remind us about how great it will all turn out. Thanks for that. I think it just catches up with us sometimes.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Cherrie - thank you for answering my unasked question - you did have additional scars.  I know that they will fade, but now I need to focus on how Dr M is going to make these hamburger buns look like boobs.  She used the breast skin that had contained the implants so the shape is really wonky.  I will convince myself not to expect much from Stage 2a.  That really helps!

• Catie2013
    edited March 2013

A question about clothing after stage 2 and before going back to home ( staying in a hotel without laundry :( )

Do you have leakage from fat grafting areas ( holes) or do the drains contain that leakage? I saw a MTV program about PS and the girl had wet/leakage on her hips where lipo was done.... Just wondering

Thanks much

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

I know you. You will plan this all out with Dr. M and you will look great. I was an outpatient and she did the breast lift and lipo of my flanks. That took 5 hours. I have to decide if I am separating the next surgeries. I have scar revision with a hooha and more fat grafting from inner thighs for symmetry. I may wait to fall and do all at once. Still deciding this.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2013

You'd be surprised how creative & resourceful Dr. M can be in the first stage 2. That's where she does her best work (aesthetically, anyway).  I think you get diminishing returns from subsequent surgeries, and eventually you get to a point where you just have to admit that tweaking any more may make things worse, not better.  But I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after stage 2a!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited March 2013

Catie2013, I never had that problem and haven't seen any mention of it.  My spots were stitched and glued so they couldn't leak.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2013

Hi ladies

I had a breast lift and reduction at stage 2. I have the vertical scars that go from my areola to the fold and then the horizontal scar in the fold that is all the way across. Right after surgery this scar was very noticeable but now that my breasts have relaxed some I can't really see that one as it really is in the fold. The scars around my nipple have faded nicely and I actually like my smaller areolas. The vertical scar needs a little help as I had an issue after surgery so the scar is much wider than I'd like but overall my breasts look great!! The initial shock after surgery was a lot, but I'm 6 months out from stage 2 and things look and feel much better.

I'm looking at a stage 2b for my hips, butt and maybe breasts scar revision. Has anyone just had the scar revised on their breasts?

Glad everyone is doing well and mags so glad you are home and healing :-)

Elizabeth hope you are resting well!!

Hugs to you all!!!

Chelle

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2013

Catie, no leaking here either. I believe there are different lipo techniques used depending on the individual situation/person. I have read however about others who had to put a plastic sheet in the car for the ride home!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

Betsy- had the arms done a little last time and there was a small scar and didn't seem any different ti me. Jiggly before jiggly again. This time the scar is quite a bit longer. So I will keep you posted.

Paula- I too was surprised by the nipple moving at stage 2. And sure enough, they healed and looked wonderful. I was also shocked when I got undressed this time to shower (and drugged and emotional and freaking out) and thought I had made a mistake. But a sober me, a few days later hopes that I will once again be very happy. I hope you will, too.

• Catie2013
    edited March 2013

Whew- was trying to figure out how to deal with leaking all over my hotel room!

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited March 2013

I have never had a scar revision on the breast- but I would sure like one.  It

would be great if someone could answer this questionEmbarassed

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2013

I had the breast lift in December and honestly I cannot tell it made any difference except now I have additional scars.  I am a b cup in one boob and c in the other.  Did any of you notice a big difference with the lift?

• chellehump
    edited March 2013

Yes I noticed a huge difference. My original girls were saggy and now they are up where they should be...lol

I don't have to wear a bra, but I still do and I get compliments on my perky breasts. I am so pleased with the lift and reduction. Again, my only complaint is the vertical scar and hope to get that revised if possible.

Catie, I see you are from GA. So am I :-) Where about? There is another lady on this board Ttay (Tara) who is also from GA. I know one more who isn't on this board but she is also a NOLA grad.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

I did some lipo leaking. It was one arm. Quite a bit on th hospital bed. They a little from the butt on th hotel sheet. Definitely couldn't rewear those pajamas.

• Catie2013
    edited March 2013

Chelle, south of the airport, Peachtree City - if you know where that is?

Kbodie, thanks much, so will have to figure stuff 'just in case'. Dang, I always overpack! But will be driving, so will just push extra clothes in the trunk!

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2013

Catie2013

As far as what I experienced at stage 2(a) ~ I did have a small degree of drainage onto the hospital bed and a very minuscule amount onto the sheets the next night at the hotel. But it was very minor. As far a pj's - you're in the compression garment and a soft bra so you may choose to skip the pj's all together.  I wore my undies over the compression garment for modesty (you have a rather large pee hole in the hospital compression which is quite exposing)  Told Dr. S I looked like Batman minus the cape!

• Catie2013
    edited March 2013

Thanks , Paula. Good idea!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Ok, from my sewing days - shape = darts. Darts = scars.

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited March 2013

Hello Everyone!

I want to thank everyone for sharing.  Although I don't get on here as much or post much but I read everyone's posts weekly and I get a wealth of information from everyone!!  Thank you!

I'm going back for Stage 2b -NOLA- Dr. D - April 9th!!!  I was going to get tattoos at the same time I was there for revision but Vinnie's dates that are available in April don't work for me and the others are to close to summer.  I NEED to be healed before then so revision now and tattoos later!  Oh well...guess I'll have to go back again!  I don't mind cause I like to make a vacation out of it!  Maybe with the girls next time for tattos and some fun!

Can't believe I'm going back again but the girls still need some work and I'll need an implant under the flap for more volume, a lift, lipo - you know - the usual!.  I don't want another flap now anyways but I will ask if it is an option in the future - WAY future just in case I ever need the implant out.  so many problems I have been through (not at NOLA) that I hope this is the last revision!

Springtime - Put me down - April 9th - Stage 2b -  Nola - Dr. D!  Thank you :)  

Chelle - Maybe I'll see you on the 8th when I go for my preop!  Would love to meet you!

• chellehump
    edited March 2013

Catie, I know where that is. I am north of you in Gwinnett County.

I don't remember having leaking issues from the lipo sites, but to be honest the first 3-4 days after surgery are still a blure to me. I remember somethings, but others I just draw a blank. But, I know after I left the hospital nothing leaked onto my pajamas :)

Gmp300, I'd love to meet you too!! What time is your pre-op appt at the center? My consult is at 9 am?

• gmp300
    edited March 2013

Hi Chelle!

My Pre Op is at 9:30am on the 8th!  With Dr. D - We'll be passing each other in the lobby!!  I'll be looking for you!  My surgery is on the 9th but we are going down early - Probably get there the 3rd or 4th to have some fun .  I always try to make the most of things! HaHa!  PM me your number and I'll let you know where were staying and give you my cell.  I am making all the arrangements today.  My DH wants to stay at the Hampton Inn - Garden District on St. Charles Ave. again. I would like to stay at Monteleone.  Usually I book 2 hotels one before surgery and one after in different areas to get a tase of both worlds but this time I am leaving right after surgery so no need for 2 hotels.

The Hampton in the Garden District was real nice.  They have a pool and lobby and you can sit outside.  Breakfast every ,morning and snacks in the aftenoon.  they always have coffe, and ice tea.  And there is a computer and printer I can in the lobby I can work on and the street car is right out front so its easy to get downtown.  And a great Mexican Restaurant right next to it.  Thats were we'll probably stay.

Hope we can connect!

Geralyn

• gmp300
    edited March 2013

Hi Chelle!

My Pre Op is at 9:30am on the 8th!  With Dr. D - We'll be passing each other in the lobby!!  I'll be looking for you!  My surgery is on the 9th but we are going down early - Probably get there the 3rd or 4th to have some fun .  I always try to make the most of things! HaHa!  PM me your number and I'll let you know where were staying and give you my cell.  I am making all the arrangements today.  My DH wants to stay at the Hampton Inn - Garden District on St. Charles Ave. again. I would like to stay at Monteleone.  Usually I book 2 hotels one before surgery and one after in different areas to get a tase of both worlds but this time I am leaving right after surgery so no need for 2 hotels.

The Hampton in the Garden District was real nice.  They have a pool and lobby and you can sit outside.  Breakfast every ,morning and snacks in the aftenoon.  they always have coffe, and ice tea.  And there is a computer and printer I can in the lobby I can work on and the street car is right out front so its easy to get downtown.  And a great Mexican Restaurant right next to it.  Thats were we'll probably stay.

Hope we can connect!

Geralyn

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Didn't have a chance to read any posts but wanted to mention my journey this morning, on my way into general dr appt for pre test to be sent to nola( I like my dr but he isn't in favor of me going to Nola) on my way here josh groban song brave came on the radio and I thought of all of you holding my hand and in my pocket, just wanted to say thank you 😘

• Marcie47
    edited March 2013

Didn't have a chance to read any posts but wanted to mention my journey this morning, on my way into general dr appt for pre test to be sent to nola( I like my dr but he isn't in favor of me going to Nola) on my way here josh groban song brave came on the radio and I thought of all of you holding my hand and in my pocket, just wanted to say thank you 😘

• Marcie47
    edited March 2013