Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Didn't have a chance to read any posts but wanted to mention my journey this morning, on my way into general dr appt for pre test to be sent to nola( I like my dr but he isn't in favor of me going to Nola) on my way here josh groban song brave came on the radio and I thought of all of you holding my hand and in my pocket, just wanted to say thank you 😘

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Didn't have a chance to read any posts but wanted to mention my journey this morning, on my way into general dr appt for pre test to be sent to nola( I like my dr but he isn't in favor of me going to Nola) on my way here josh groban song brave came on the radio and I thought of all of you holding my hand and in my pocket, just wanted to say thank you 😘

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited March 2013

Feeling a little blue.  The hard spot in my left breast is not resolving and my oncologist today said it feels like scar tissue necrosis.  It's about the size of an egg and seems like it may be getting a little larger.  Dr. D. said he would try to deal with it at Stage 2 but it was just the same after surgery.  At the time he gave my belly a jiggle and said that we would hang onto that in case we need it later.  He was lucky he didn't get a knee to the chin -- that's about the last thing anyone wants to hear when preparing for what would hopefully be the last surgery!!!  I am not inclined to have more surgery to fix dog ears and other small things, but I don't want a small hard breast.  I think that the fat grafting did not take as well on that side because of the restricted blood flow due to necrosis, so it is at least a size smaller than my beautiful right side.  Bummed.  The thought of starting over with two more surgeries and more what-ifs is depressing.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

Leigh Ann. I had the same thing and he did the tdap flap ( google it). It has resolved the firm necrotic tissue with soft tissue. Also got rid of the side boob. I think a little quick revision is in my future but compared to a display this was easy. Just store that somewhere in your head. Not so bad

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2013

Marcie - Hang on Hunnie - the other side of the tunnel is bright!

LAstar - I too had an egg sized hard scar area.  Completely soft now post stage 2(a).  The doctors deal with these small issues very nicely.

Good thoughts to you ladies!

Paula_Kay

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2013

I am having residual issues with rash on neck, upper & lower back and hips - but not at incision sites. I stopped Cipro 2 days ago, but the rash persists.  Could this be a heat rash from compression and night sweats? Now at 7 days post stage 2 and trying not to over do it as I feel better than expected.  Still sore and some difficulty sleeping esp since I am a side sleeper and the hips are too sore on rest on them long.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013

LAStar, did Dr. D say he thought it was necrosis?  I had a hard area as well and he   told me  he didn't think it was necrosis, but rather residual swelling.  Did something at Stage 2 that helped, but its still hard and definitely noticeable....which makes me believe that it is swelling.  He said it could take a year to resolve.

Glad to hear you are doing better than expected Paula...always great news!  I'm not sure on the rash.  I was getting a rash from Cephlex and it cleared up in a day or two after I stopped taking it.

I'm 4 weeks post stage 2 now and Laura said I can take the nipple protectors off!  So, do I just take them off and resume wearing a regular bra?  My right nipple hasn't changed at all in these past 4 weeks.  Starting to worry I'm going to be stuck with this huge thing.  I've been tempted to just poke it down myself...but have exercised restraint :)  Left one looks pretty good...but right one is as big as a gumdrop!  Definitely not the little m&m I wanted to end up with.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

GMP300, I added your Apr 9 surgery date. 

If anybody else has dates, please PM to me! 

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

Tracy... After I took the protectors off, I wore a larger padded bra that had its own shape and didn't compress my breasts... I wore this for a couple of weeks. The nipple will go down almost immediately... Give it a couple of days.

Leigh Ann.... I believe that most people's firmness is swelling and what isn't swelling is addressed at stage II.... My problem persisted, and was still firm 14 months post stage II... Dr D would want a significant amount of time to pass before jumping into something drastic... P.a.t.i.e.n.c.e...

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited March 2013

Thanks Spring!!

• lastar
    edited March 2013

Thanks, Betsy -- this spot is sore and doesn't respond to massage.  I have another firm place on the outside of the same breast, and it changes over time, softens with massage, and doesn't ever hurt.  The spot near my cleavage is always hard and sore.  It feels like it is getting a little larger too.  I'm sending pics in tonight.

I was going to consult with a local PS that does autologous reconstruction about this, but he refused to see me!  His secretary said that has a "problem" with women going out of state for their reconstruction, and then wanting him to check other surgeons' work.  I talked with two people in his office, and they were both so rude.  One said she was sorry she couldn't help me and hung up!  I was livid.  He is new to this small town and is trying to create a practice and acts like this.  Our children go to the same small school.  What an ass.  Did anyone else encounter this issue?  

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

Wow Leigh Ann. No. But I didn't try. If it were me, I would make it clear to everyone I know how his office behaved. You wouldn't want your friends under his care if they behave like that. It's one thing to not treat patients for one reason or another. It is quite different how one handles that. Customer service to everyone. Patients or not. That is key and a window into their approach. If they behave like that with you whose to say how they would treat someone who is dissatisfied or had a problem as their own patients.

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2013

I had the same experience and consider myself lucky to have had my surgery elsewhere!

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2013

@Paula... I'm an RN and also allergic to Amoxicillin... When I took it I had a rash ALL over my body for at least 10 days afterwards.... I think it could still be your medication reaction for sure.

@LAStar... Get yourself on YELP/Google Reviews and leave a review ASAP. Maybe those sites aren't used as much in a small town but the word will still get around. There is no excuse for such rudeness.  Many doctors can't see an inch past their big ass egos and it's absolutley a travesty.  That kind of response demonstrates nothing but true insecurity and ego... unfortunately, you see that kind of thing everywhere.

Sorry for the heated response but that kind of thing frys my bacon.

Oh, I have a question... I hear so many things about gals with hard spots, etc... Is that still a risk for me since my surgery is prophylactic?  I'm not sure if it's a radiation issue... or what... I'm just trying to be fully aware of what to expect.

Thanks ladies and happy Friday....  Fast healing wishes for the post-op girls!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2013

Fat necrosis can happen with any flap reconstruction, it's not limited to those who have had radiation. It seems to be more common with GAP and hip flaps, but certainly not limited to them.

LAStar: while I too have lamented the egotistic attitude I've gotten from local surgeons, I have to point out that there's likely nothing he could do about the issue anyway.  There's nothing anyone can do except wait to see if it resolves or address it at the next surgery.  I know it's frustrating, but that's how it works.  Even if you were local to NOLA and could see them in person you'd probably get the same response from them... not sure what it is, let's wait and see if it resolves, if it doesn't we'll address it at your next surgery.  

It's likely both necrosis and swelling, especially if you've been massaging it (which doesn't actually help necrosis). How your body deals with it (whatever "it" is) over time remains to be seen. You just have to be patient and continue to trust the surgeons you've already put your trust in.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Mother - the hardness may come from a number of reasons, not necessarily related to rads.  In my case, I had a hematoma that required a second surgery 2 days after the first DIEP so I didn't lose the flap.  I had a roll of hardness about 4" long and 1" in diameter just above the inframammary fold.  Dr M said she couldn't predict what would happen, but would deal with it at Stage 2.  Over the past 4 months, much of it has softened.  She indicated it could be necrosis due to lack of blood flow, or a fatty necrosis or some blood left over from the hematoma.  I think the reasons vary from patient to patient.

• lastar
    edited March 2013

jeskachi, your comment that necrosis is more common with hip/GAP flaps is interesting. Is this your own observation or did you read it somewhere?  

Good idea to leave a review about the PS!  I'm definitely spreading the word.  We have a tight sisterhood of well-connected NOLA sisters in this small town, and he doesn't yet know that he's messed with the Mammo-Mafia!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

I had several hard areas after stage 1. Knowing I was getting a reduction, I wasn't terribly worried. They were spots of swelling. They got a tiny bit smaller each week. I think by the time I had stage 2 10 weeks after, some of it was necrotic. But then they cut it all out and there was never any again. For those who need every bit of their flap, they need to try to fix the hard spot. If you are pretty big and hoping to go smaller, which they don't do until stage 2 (blah), there is flap to spare so to speak and they just shape it up and remove it.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2013

It's my own experience as well as something I've heard in casual conversations with a surgeon. But I have an area of necrosis in my DIEP side as well, it's just smaller than I had in the SGAP flap that it replaced.  The other SGAP side doesn't have any obvious necrosis that I've noticed, but it is much firmer overall.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2013

My new gap leftie is hard across the entire top of flap area. This is where the infection was and it has only been a couple of weeks so not worried yet. The 2/3 week blues have hit. I am in the I hate life mode right now. I know that it will pass.. I remember it last time. At least this time I do indeed have two breasts again. The drain is in such an awful place and my butt hurts. The thigh on that side also burns..is this normal? I just want to fastforward a couple of weeks because I know roses and sunshine are waiting for me

Maggie 2

• lastar
    edited March 2013

Roses & sunshine!  I love your attitude, Maggie!  Even in the week 3 blues, you are positive.  :)  

My thighs killed me after lipo.  It was more of a stabbing pain for me.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

Right drain has been killing me. Left drain has been producing little. Now today right drain is producing little and leaking on compression garment. As expected, Laura said to pull it. Yay! But I can't seem to get some alone time without my seven year old and I don't think she needs to see that. So it is hurting me. I don't want to get an infection.

• lastar
    edited March 2013

Did they give you any of the antibiotic ointment with a numbing agent?  That stuff works wonders.

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

About necrosis and firm spots. In my experience, much of the firmness resolves with time. Second round of defense is stage two manipulation by the doctor. Round three is flap replacement. I have done it all. And tend to agree that in my case the necrotic tissue was on the GAP boob. But I am not 100% sure my firm area was truly necrosis. Dr D referred to it as something else. Either way it was firm and what had softened also seemed to have shrunk. So had the baby flap.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2013

LA, some docs are so good, others are complete asses. I like Mother's idea to leave a #$$^&*#$ review! 

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

It seems like having hard areas in the flap is quite common after stage 1. This is making me freak out a little. I know with any surgery there are many risks, but I have been through 8 surgeries in the past couple of years. I've also had radiation to the left side so I'm thinking the that side will be firmer. The last few days have been hard for me because I'm on the drug Femara for the cancer and the side effects have hit hard! My feet and hands are so stiff. My hips and shoulders have been really achy as well. I have to take this for 5 years!! I've had to stop Flaxseed, chia seed, and fish oil because they are blood thinning and my surgery is less than a month away. Anyone having bad side effects from Femara?

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

I developed very achy joints in my hands. I felt like an old lady. I had already been on Tamoxifen for 5 years, so my MO had me stop the Femara.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

Cherrie..that's how I'm feeling...and tired. I'v also noticed weight gain and I eat very healthy and exercise:/ I keep as positive as possible but it's getting to me:(

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited March 2013

Hi ladies. Thank you to all who have shared their experiences on this board. It is very encouraging!

I contacted NOLA this week,got emails from Liz and Laura, &faxed them my information. Hoping to get a call soon.

Sharon

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

Welcome Sharon. You will get a wealth of information here.