Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

Welcome back Marty!

Harmony.. open wounds suck, but it is true that they heal from the inside out and cannot just be re-stitched. When my wound opened up, the first thing they told me to do was apply betadine and cover with pads and compress a little. When that didn't work, they had me use sterile solution on gauze and stuff it inside the wound (but my wound was huge, yours sounds small) and when that didn't work, I had a wound vac and debridement. I would try the betadine and pads/compression for a day or two, but start looking into a local wound care center. They may advise you to just do that, and no vac needed...

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

I made it! When I woke up I wasn't in much pain at all. I am more sore toady. Dr. Sullivan is wonderful. My hubby was realling impressed by him. Everyone is great here and I'm happy . I haven't seen my backside yet. That will be tomrrow. I posted pictures on the forum.

From here to new boobs in Nola...

These meds are making me loopy and my vision is blurry.

Thanks for every prayer and thought!! xo

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

Russell and Marty - we will always remember where we were on 4/12/2013 - glad you are doing well.

Harmonysun - I had the same sort of problem week 3 and week 7 (one side first then second). IT is all a pain in the butt (lol) but doable and the Drs know what they are doing.

I had a wound vac for a while before my first side dehissed (sp) but it still came open, I heard a loud POP and then put my hand to my back to find bloody stuff that looked like it came from the drain although the drain sat higher on my hip. My stitches on the left side just came apart on the stitch line, on my birthday!!! Freaked me out. Dr. K said the best way to fix it was to go back into the OR so he could clean it out and put barbed wire type stitches and the wound vac again. At 6 weeks, I saw discharge in th middle are of the right side where the stitches were looking like they were healing very well. Dr K made a house call to check it out and it was a small outer openig but went in a good 4 inches. Again, surgery to clean it out, and cauterize etc. By this time I was freaked abut another surger, but when he said he could do it local but couldn't cauterize, I went for the surgery. My BMI was pretty high, so I just collected lots of fluid in the SGAP areas.

Drains again, and developed seroma on both sides. But now, stage 2, seromas are gone and hopefully won't happen again.

The wound vac is more of another nuisance, doesn't hurt and is easily doable. Seromas are about the same. It's all doable and Wound Care docs probably can do the stuff needed whether it is wet to dry or whatever. I just trusted Dr K and would consult with him before I did what the Wound Clinic doc said. It helps if your Dr that did the surgery for you can communicate wth the Wound Clinic doc. Mine called the Wound care and spoke to him at length and then again when i was there. So it all worked out, maybe not as you wanted, but it all really did.

I may not be making sense as I'm medicated big time - just wanted to reassure you that you got this far, you will be able to handle it all. I made th mistake of looking wound vac with Dr. Google and was scared as can be- for no reason at all. You have great Drs too, so they can walk any Wound Care clinic doc through what they want.

Please excuse my mumblings!!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

well I have done almost nothing for the last few days and so far today the drain has already produced 50cc... I am just not seeing the end here.  I have the ultrasound for monday at 3:30..maybe an answer will lie beneath the skin.  I really do not think there is any fluid collecting back there as I have to symptoms of that just a nagging burning pain just above the incision and in my cheek.  My body reacted similar to the port when it was placed.  Maybe my body just does not like foreign visitors that over extend their welcome

Maggie

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

Oh harmony you were right that stuff wanted out! Hope this is the beginning of the end of this!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

Glad you are feeling okay, Russell!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2013

Mags,

Is Dr M still in Charleston? It's not exactly close but can your DH drive you up to have her see you there?

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Pinkheart...yes She is there...it has not come to that yet. Once the us is done we will go from there to see what to do next. I should have had it checked a couple of weeks ago. Just thought it was normal to have pain after surgery...who knew that waould not be the case

Maggie

• Catie2013
    edited April 2013

Mags, can't remember what kind of pain meds you are taking -does that make a difference in the pan, does it go away with something like Ibuprofen or the pain meds you were given from surgery?

Hope you are doing better soon.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Maggie-I hope there will be nothing needing Dr. M, but at least it's not too far. A plane ride may be easiest.

Wow, this Stage 2 is miserable. Dr. M changed game plans once she got me on the table. When she went to lower the ab scar, she felt that a plication was required. To remove the dog ears, the incision line got linger, wrapping abound to the back. She also took 2 liters of fat from the top of the hip flanks. Plus fat grafting the boobs and rotating one into place. I have only seen peaks. Won't take off Dom til tomorrow. Sitting is fine, laying down is fine, I walk hunched over. But, I can't get up without help. DH is gonna have a tough night since I will have to get up to go potty. I may put a rope on the foot of the bed to pull up. Thank heaven for drugs. On oxy now as the Target doesn't carry dilaudid. Tomorrow we will find that drug as I prefer it to oxy.

Russell & Catie - so very good to hear from you. Glad we are on the other side of this. Yes, April 12 is a big day.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2013

Mags, going through drain pain and hematoma aspiration. Not expecting, but at least I'm staying in Charleston a month. Otherwise I would be in same boat as you going to docs at home that have no clue what an SGAP is and filling out another medical history form that i hate doing. I have my own patient info sheet that has my long list of surgeries that i just attach instead of filling out.

Hope your seroma gets resolved quickly!

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

thank you all ladies for thinking of me.  today was 65cc  down from 100 and 70 the 2 previous days.  I am avoiding pain meds....maybe some ibuprophen is in order....take ambien to sleep nightly. 

MartyJ--sorry this was worse than you thought...the results will be awesome!  Hope you find the meds you want

Maggie

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Marty, Russell, Catie- so glad everyone is on the other side and letting us know how they are.

Marty- Why did Dr. M end up doing a plication? I don't even know what it is and it scares me. On May 10 I am having my scar revised and lowered. I can't handle another big surgery. 😱

Wow! 2 liters. You will love that. I am 7 weeks out and love it already. Still in compression 24/7. I cheated just a little as it was near 90 here for 3 days and it was just too hot. I slept without it for two nights. Shhhh...don't tell.

I am leaving VA tomorrow morning so probably will miss a few days here. I will catch up later. Heal well everyone!!

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

klanders... PM springtime with your surgery details and she can add it above.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Oh baby?.only 15cc overnight and not much coming out now....this is exciting

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

So. I think I have cellulitis. Anyone else get this? Yesterday my fever was 101.7 and I had no energy to research. But today I did. It says I need immediate medical treatment. I have called my doctors office. Of course it's Sunday. I am 10 weeks post surgery. Seems a little late to get an infection. It is on my lower back on my incision.

• Catie2013
    edited April 2013

BDavis-

By all means call your Dr! I have my Drs and PA cellphone numbers! Call!

Of it were anyone else on this site you would very much tell them to do the same !

With all you have gpne through you need to know exactly what you are working with - and that is why you picked your Dr AND WHY THE get the big bucks.

Who knows it may just be something else - but for your peace of mind call! Or email or both.

The least that can happen by talking to your Dr he can give you items to tell the local doc.

And he/she can be prepared to speak voice to the local Dr you wind up with.

So sorry for this new development hope it grits gpne quickly

Big hugs

Catie

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited April 2013

Betsy- I have nothing helpful to say other than I am so sorry to hear this!!! Did you call your local doc or NOLA? I had to call SCSH on a Sunday before, and someone was able to call in a script fairly quickly. Sounds like you need to get an antibiotic ASAP, so hopefully you will hear from someone soon. Take care and I'll be thinking of you!

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Cellulitis spreads very quickly and needs immediate attention to keep it out of the bloodstream and avoid hospitalization. You can go to er...when I did they gave me iv ab and gave it a good headstart to healing. Then I got script for two weeks oral ab...please Betsy do not wait. Feel better soon!

Maggie

• PerryDawnB
    PerryDawnB Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2013

Well, I am recuperating from Stage 1 hip flaps and I have to admit that this surgery was harder than I had anticipated.  I don't have a great deal of pain but I am experiencing a good deal of discomfort. There is, of course,a tightness and heaviness, like someone is sitting on my chest and I realize that since I had hip flaps that I'm sitting on my own chest Wink. My backside is actually kind of painful and tight. During my surgery I had to be intubated twice due to a bleed that was discovered immediately after surgery and it has left me with some lingering respiratory issues.  The first night after surgery I could barely swallow or catch my breath.  I was barely able to talk the first two days and now have a cough that I haven't been able to shake. I have done the breathing excercises but I still have the cough. Another thing that I have found very difficult is sleeping in one position all night.  I am a side sleeper and sleeping on my back is the most uncomfortable experience if not extremely painful.  I wake up several times a night, despite pain meds. Has anyone found a comfortable solution to back sleeping for the next 4-6 weeks? I bought one of those sleeping wedges from Brookstone but it is still not that comfortable.

Everyone at the SCSH has been incredible; I can't say this enough. I have my post-op with Dr. Sullivan tomorrow and hope everything goes well.  Thank you everyone for your positive thoughts and I hope my SIS's (Sisters in Surgery) are doing well. 

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Sorry to hear of all the troubles we are suffering today, I say "we" because I know that I feel your pain as do the other ladies on this sight.

This too shall pass and you will look back on this as a journey that showed you your strength.

I am preparing to board my flight for Nola as my journey begins on Tuesday and I know I have a crew of you accompanying me this week, and for that a want to say "Thank you from the bottom of my heart" 😘💋😘

Love this group of women that have shown me what women are made of !!!!

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Oh Perrydawn I'm sorry you had to go through all that! My throat was sore and I coughed up some phlegm. They have been giving me breathing treatments and it has helped. My hips hurt more than my chest. I'm off Iv meds and taking Vicodin. Im going to try and walk around in a little and take a shower . Everyone at Fairway is wonderful!!!! The only complaint we have is the food:/ Hugs and healing to all! Betsy take care of issue ASAP :)

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Ok. The update is my local doctor deferred to the Nola docs. So I got dr Trahan on the phone. Sent him a photo. And he said to get myself to the hospital. So I am at the hospital. He said I will need Iv antibiotics and will need to spend the night. Waiting now for the er doc. Never a dull moment.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

I'm so glad you are getting medical attention, Betsy. Way to go for acting fast.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

I am sorry Betsy that this is happening.  I am so glad that you are getting treatment now.  you will feel better really soon!!!  iv antibiotics work work very quickly.  Stay strong my friend

Perrydawn...hang in there

Maggie

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Praying for you Betsy:)

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2013

Oh Betsy, so sorry to hear about your troubles.  Get that antibiotic working!

Perry Dawn, It is very difficult for us side sleepers to adjust.  Eventually it got better for me.  I just had another stage and I feel your pain.  Sometimes it is my back that hurts the worst.  Are you taking the flexeril?  I think it helps me. I promise everything will get better.  Are they giving you the breathing tx?  That helped me with the cough, fluid, and congestion.  Sending healing hugs your way.

Russell1, sounds like things are going pretty well for you......keep on healing and walking those halls.

Mags, great news about your drain output.  Keep doing whatever you are doing and soon that drain will be a thing of the past.

Healing wishes to all.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2013

Betsy, I'm so sorry to hear about this complication.  Hopefully it will be just one day in the hospital and then on to oral antibiotics.  Please update us.  

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

Betsy totally shocked about a cellulitis at this stage....

PerryDawn... what an ordeal... but you should good... I'm glad that's behind you...

So wonderful hear all the chatter about the most recent group of ladies passing through... I'm about 2 weeks out... It's gettin' real.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited April 2013

Betsy!! Big hugs! I'm glad you got to the ER!

Maggie I'm glad output is low.

Everyone else, don't let the pain meds get away from you too soon. I did once! It took me a while to 'catch up' to where things were manageable.