Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2013

I had them last week with my 2b because I didn't need any revisions close to the tattoo spots. Also, my revisions were relatively minor, although I did end up with lipo & grafting not planned until my pre-op. I was scheduled with Vinnie in May, then realized I was not level Embarassed so inquired about a little lift and was told they could schedule them together.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited July 2013

Congrats Marty! And great advice too:)

Betsy..yes someone on here had the tats the day after their sugery. Just can't remember who. I would assume if they aren't dealing with anything in the nipple/aerola area that tats could be done.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited July 2013

I'm still thinking I may need more surgery on my stomach and not the breasts so they said I could go ahead and get tatt's. I am going to have hair lasered off my right where the flap is at.. Don't want to be shaving my boob and also having a mole taken off that got pulled from my side to up underneath my left, when they did a lift in stage two. It's right where my bra sits and it's bothersome.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2013

Thanks for the advise on vinnie, I agree about wanting the best :)
    Marty, Congrats on 28 years and for coming back and inspiring all of us newly diagnosed!!
    It sure helps 😀

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited July 2013

bdavis,  I was told when I called the Center that they would not do tattoos at the same time as a revision.  Maybe that has changed.

Congrats MartyJ......that is truly something to celebrate.

Preferences

§

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

/

shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Any helpful info on wearing the bra you wake up with and nipple protectors would be much appreciated. I am wearing the brown nipple protectors and then the bra they gave me over it. When I shower I remove everything. When I sleep, I am wearing the np and bra also. So basically around the clock. I pulled my only drain today:) it was so easy..thank goodness because I was having anxiety over pulling it myself ! Lol

I have this stabbing burning pain on my right hip incision (where incision begins closest to front of me) when I try to lay on my right side or lift up my right leg in a certain way. I didn't have this after Stage 1. I'm thinking its a nerve thing. Hoping it goes away. It's almost like an electrical stabbing burning pain. Anyone else have this? Thanks ladies!!! Oh, 1 more thing...one nipple is more horizontal and the other is more vertical shaped. Does it matter? Should I try anything to make them the same?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2013

Melanie... For 3 weeks, I wore the nipple guards and the black bra with holes cut out and then wore a padded oversized bra over all that during the day. With the padded oversized bra, it gave the illusion of a smooth breast all the while not pushing on the guard.

• bdavis
    edited July 2013

Also, I think I get it about tats and stage IIb/IIc. As long as the surgery doesn't involve the nipple area, tats are ok. My IIc will involve that area, so I am looking at a spring 2014 tattoo party!

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited July 2013

What an inspriation, Marty.  Congratulations!

Great news Melanie that you are already drain free.  You're doing amazing!

That stabbing pain definitely sounds like nerves.  I had a similar sensation in my DIEP incision and wowza...it was bad, but it did go away after a few days.  Hang in there!

I would leave your new nips completely alone (other than doing anything you've been specifically instructed to do) until it's time to remove the protectors  It's tempting, but just let them heal.  I recall wanting to smash mine down they were so big, but I refrained and am glad I did because they shrunk a lot!  Vinnie will fix up anything that doesn't look just right. 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2013

yeah Melanie...no drain for you...so brave to pull it yourself.  me too chicken...yesterday 32 today only 25 so far so oh baby...it is close...so close I can taste the drain free life!!!

Maggie

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Thanks Betsy..good ideA with the padded cups. Why 3 weeks? He told me 2:/

Audrella..thank you sweets!!! Ok hope the weird pain goes away!

Mags.. You are getting so close! Pull it yourself when it's time ! It is so liberating!!! The words I was saying in my head as it was coming out....lol It didn't not hurt one bit!

Klanders..saw your pics on the forum and I wouldn't doubt it if they use you in their website when they update pictures!!! I think you look even perkier than before! Happy for you!!!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2013

Mags you are sooo close! I will practice that FREEDOM dance for the big day. I pulled most of my drains myself. It really is nothing. I agree with Melanie that it is liberating. It won't be long now. Two days?????

• bdavis
    edited July 2013

Melanie.. Dr D is my doc... so it may be different opinions.

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Betsy..ok but you would think since they work together that it would be the same. Dr. S also told me I can wear the girdle for 1 week then I can switch to spanx after that. I wonder if it applies to how much lipo was done. My ps here says wear compression for 4 wks. I think I will meet in the middle and do 2wks of compression.

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Ladies...how long were you told to wear nipple protectors after Stage 2? Just curious because I now know each Dr has their own opinion. Thanks:)

• Judy_63
    edited July 2013

I was told 2 weeks compression by Dr T, but Amy said that most women like to wear them longer and I can understand it makes my stomach feel better, but this hot weather is making me wear it less and less.

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Thanks Judy...I didn't have anything done to my stomach, maybe that's why he told me 1 week with garment and then switch to spanx.

• Judy_63
    edited July 2013

I had a plication done on my stomach along with some lipo. Also like having stage one all over again except I didn't have drains in the breast just in the hips. I do have the flat stomach now just have to be patient about the swelling.

• bdavis
    edited July 2013

Also Melanie, Dr D doesn't use the brown nipple guards. He uses the ones for nursing moms (clear silicone ones)... They just have different approaches. Dr S tells his patients to use betadine on all incisions, and Dr D says just to use it on drain sites, unless there is a healing problem... Dr M tells her patients to wear compression for months, and Dr D says 2 weeks, but more is better. They may all work together, but they have slight differences in products and duration.

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Bdavis..so interesting! I woke up with the clear silicone protectors on. They were left on 3 days. At post op, they put on the brown ones.

Judy....yay for the flat tummy!

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited July 2013

Judy, I'm jealous of that flat tummy!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2013

I have no idea what to expect this time around, so that makes me a bit nervous.

I am trying to get packed to leave. A few months ago I moved those free flowing Target pants I bought for my surgeries last year out of my drawer. I just didn't want to see them anymore and I now I went to where I thought I put them and they are no where to be found. I spent over an hour looking through totes and storage and still no luck...LOL
    Guess I'll have to find something else to take, but I have no idea if I will be in compression or not or if I will have drains...I am guessing yes to all the above.

My son is flying to Florida early tomorrow morning, so we are planning to go out to dinner tonight as a family :) I am trying to close things out here at work and tie up some loose ends even though I will be doing some work from home while I am out. I have to work on Monday, but want it to be an easy day. I can't believe I am almost up.

I believe in the power of prayer and if it's not too much, please pray that this will work & Dr. D has some tricks up his sleeve to help me & my body heal the way it's supposed to and that the pain I have will be gone. So very anxious!!!

Hugs to you all!!!

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited July 2013

Michelle, hugs and prayers for a successful journey!

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Just got a check up call from Laura at the center:) She did tell me to wear the nipple protectors for 3 weeks total. Glad she called. That was nice. Fairway hospital called also. They are great there. I forgot to tell you all that on the day of my surgery (July 12th) the nurse told me that it was a good day for surgery because all the best breast surgeons were there. She said Dr. M was there too. I was originally scheduled at 7am. Got moved to 9:30 am the day before. I arrived at hospital at 8:30. I didn't go into surgery until after 12! However , they gave me some cocktail of drugs around 10ish that was so good that I didn't even care how long I was laying there!!! Lol Someone came in to tell me they were giving me something to relax and that's all I remember! Didn't even get to see the operating room. I only remember waking up in my room with some big nipples! Lol

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited July 2013

Chelle - my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Melanie - Generally if there is a procedure day scheduled at Fairway, there will be two of the NOLA docs there.  I seem to remember that one may be doing a Stage 1 while the other is doing a Stage 2, but they can help each other and be in the room for the times when 2 surgeons are required.  When Dr. M did my Stage 1, Dr. S was there and assisted her thought I didn't meet him.  I only know this because she repeated a conversation that they had had during the removal of my implants about the weird nipple implants.  Neither had ever seen anything like them before.  Actually, I never met a doc that had seen them.  They sort of resembled one of theose suction cups that you use to hang stuff from without the hanger part.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2013

Well that's it...DrM said pull and by gooly if I did not listen!

I am drain free and will not be holding the title for longest drain duration on bco! She says limited activity and compress tbe heck out of it and pray for no seroma!

Michelle have a safe trip!

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited July 2013

YAHOO Maggie....

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Happy dance & cocktails all around Mags!!!!!

Chelle ... Thinking of you!!

MartyJ...yes I believe the case before me was a bmx and flap reconstruction. I know they were assisting each other. I also saw Dr. Trahan .

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2013

Whoo hoo Maggie, Sooo happy for you!!!

Chelle, you are in my thoughts and prayers, relax and see you on the other side, enjoy dinner with the family :))

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2013

Chelle- my thoughts and prayers are with you. Safe travels.

Melanie- Dr. S was at Fairway assisting Dr. M with my surgery. Marty was two or three days before me. Fairway was a great place. Dr. M doesn't go there any more.

Maggie- doing the FREEDOM dance for you. Take it easy and compress the poop out of that site.