Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited July 2013

Chelle - I have never done ducolax.  I know they make a stool softener (like colace) and a laxative.  I don't think you will run the same problem with miralax since you are only taking one dose a day.  For pre surgery, I have taken a stool softener in addition to the miralax.

I am not a good water drinker.  Just don't like the taste, even filtered.  I have finally been able to drink happily by squeezing the juice of 1 lemon into a 32 oz container and adding 3 packets of SweetLeaf Stevia.  I set a goal of doing at least 1 - 32 oz per day, but end up doing more.  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2013

Sharon... I had hip drains for 8.5 weeks, and can't remember the color, think it was straw, but I had a breast drain once that was red, and it was nothing... Could be a hematoma or something that was just draining.

Melanie. The butt lift is probably what is causing the pain. I know sitting on the toilet was a delicate event. But it improves quickly. I also have the incisions that meet. Initially at stage II, he didn't do that but at stage IIb he did. I suggest getting LE massage of the incision and back to encourage Lymphatic drainage.

Chelle, I used ducolax, and miralax... did it all.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2013

This may seem trivial but I have a question about weight and stage two. I am ashamed to say I gained about 15 lbs since my stage 1! I am an emotional eater & with all the trouble with this seroma (yes still have it) I seem to have lost all control. Anyway it is what it is & I'm going to try to not beat myself up & I know I won't be judged here but I need some honest opinions. Other than jump back on the weight watchers wagon & get more aggressive with exercising what should I do? Would any of you cancel stage 2 until your weight was where it should be?

Oh & 6 months prior to my stage 1 I had achieved a lifetime membership at weight watchers so I really am embarrassed. Surgery was such a big thing I hope I haven't made a mess of things.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited July 2013

Thanks Betsy. One is the color of straw. Dr. M. was not worried in the least. She said it was normal and ok. Whew!

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2013

Good morning ladies... Just checking in and so good to hear updates from you all.  So glad recent surgeries have gone well. Poor Mags still with drains... gosh darn it.

Barb don't beat yourself up, my God.  Dr. D didn't seem to think I needed to bother losing weight before Stage 2 and I am well overweight. Jeanine told me that it is her experience that ladies tend to lose weight easier after lipo.  I'm not sure at all what the pathophysiology is behind that... but who knows. I know your Stage 2 is coming right up.... I'm proud of you for doing it all in one she-bang... I'm grumpy about having to go back in September... I prefer to wait and am still considering canceling... but mine is more about my state of mind.  I do not want to revisit surgery so soon.

FWIW, Miralax for me was not helpful... or I guess toooo helpful.  I only took a little... a little before surgery and a little after... just a couple doses... and I almost didn't make it on the plane back home.  I was in the bathroom constantly at the airport and was miserable.  So I'm planning to stick with Colace or Peri-Colace this next time around...

It's so good to read about everyone's progress! :)

• bdavis
    edited July 2013

Barb. My opinion is that for me I wished I had gone into stage II at a lower weight. My goal was to lose 10 pounds before stage II and I didn't. It's hard to Lose when you're recuperating. So I had stage 2 anyway and then lost a few pounds. Then went back for IIb. Again I have lost a few pounds. So my goal before stage IIc is to lose 10 more. Dr D said he is running out of places to lipo me but that only means that grabbable fat has already been used but I have plenty of internal fat. So my goal is to work on losing some of that.

It's hard to say what to do. I think best results can be achieved if you go in at your optimal weight, but if you are willing to return for a tweaking, then go now and consider a IIb later.

For the record, if I lost 20 I would be in awesome shape. 30 pounds and I'd be nearing skinny. I would be thrilled with the 20.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited July 2013

Barb-after my stage 1 nothing no change at all in weight, after stage 2 I went down a little over 20 pounds.  Went to the oncologist in May and had gain 3 pounds, my oncologist was amazed , he said from his experience with his patients most gain weight while on Tamoxifen.  I do not have an appetite at all, my husband reminds to eat, and I had no desire to exercise which is a shame because I use to LOVE exercising. So don't beat yourself up it may be the medication.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2013

Barb, I didn't lose weight between my stage 1 and stage 2, but I did gain a good 5 lbs though. My surgeries were about 3 1/2 months apart. I wish I could have lost weight before surgery, but honestly wasn't up to excercising like I had before stage 1 and I honestly think I was a bit depressed too. Now, I am 17 lbs down, excercising again and look better than I have in years. I can a see difference in my breasts with the weight loss, but for me, if it wasn't for my other issues, I'd be good with how they look now and I wouldn't be going for another surgery.
    Don't beat yourself up and remember this journey is different for everyone. I am a very slow healer and my body is reacting different than everyone else's and I am trying really hard not to beat myself up for that. It's very easy to think about the "what if's", but try not to get caught up in all that and do what you think is best for you. HUGS!!!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2013

well dang it all....drain was doing good...and then yesterday afternoon the output went up and the pain is back.  errrrrr!!!!!!

One day at a time I guess...antibiotics have been filled for 2 more weeks so we shall see.

I have lost 12 lbs since my surgery in May.  It is really hard when you cannot exercise but my appetite is down which helps.  Had blood draw today for my ck up with Onc next week.  I hate the feeling of impending doom these tests cause.  It is so not me to be such a hypochondriac but it just goes with what we have all been through I suppose. 

Maggie

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2013

I admire those who have lost weight. Being 58 I find it very hard. I walk 4-5 times per week from 2.5-3.5 miles. I eat pretty healthy but have problems with portion control. I have two months before next surgery and would love to drop 10 pounds. I get dejected because it is HARD. I weigh the same as I did before DIEP. I am down one size because of no rolls on my tummy. Lol.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited July 2013

Cherrie,

It IS possible..my mother in law has recently dropped 40 lbs, she had joined over eaters anonymous. She is swearing by it. (She just turned 69)

Hubby has lost close to 50 lbs, he is doing Medifast...google it, but you eat their food....except one meal you prepare yourself. It's working for him, I hope he can transition it to "real life" when he is ready.

I did weight watchers and had dropped 25 lbs...that was just prior to my diagnosis, lets just say I haven't weighed in recently and it isn't going to be pretty! hubby and I are both 48.

If you don't want to join a program try those apps out there. There is so much info available it is amazing. Good luck on your journey.

Pat

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited July 2013

Cherrie, the way I see it is that it's inches that count the most.  If you've dropped a pant size, you've obviously lost inches.  

Barb, I wouldn't put off a surgery due to planned weight loss.  That planned weight loss may or may not ever happen.  Regardless, though, it's still a good idea to do what you can for health overall.

• Cherrie
    edited July 2013

Recommitting to watch the portion sizes and keep walking. Baby steps!!

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

1 pound at a time. Meghan told me Dr M looks even better now!  cannot wait to see her next month...inspirational

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited July 2013

Wow! How has she done this. I think she told me but I was under the influence of pain killers! Every time I see her she has changed more. She looks great.

• Barbmal5
    edited July 2013

Thank you guys for your thoughts. Each of you made me feel better. Are there apps where you can work out with others...does that make sense? It's really easy for me to throw a pity party (with real wine!) & not work out.

Mother don't you cancel! Just go & get-er-dun. Hear Stage 2 is much less invasive & a little easier to heal from than 1. Besides you'll look great & not have that hanging over your head.

Michelle I think of you often. Positive juju your way for your upcoming surgery. You may have hit on it. I do believe I very well may be having some depression going on. Big clue should have been sitting on the kitchen floor & bawling when Finn from Glee died (yes watch it with my dtr).

Audrella what you say makes sense. If I put off the surgery until I lose the weight I may never make it back.

So I'm just going to call my Dr about a possible anti-anxiety/anti-depressive, keep more focused on portion control & get a walking/work out buddy. Thanks for the support.

• chellehump
    edited July 2013

Barb, I was in the exact same place as you. I don't think you should put it off and it may even give the extra push you need. But again the decision has to be yours. Thank you for thinking of me. I'm in a really kinda panic/anxiety state of mind right now. I did two hours of serious workouts tonight and I feel much better than I did when I left the office (it was a rough day).

Barb, I will PM my cell phone number to you and please call me for any support/advice you need!!

It's is baby steps and I even forget that at times. I don't want to go backwards, but I am fully determined to get back to this point as soon as possible!!!!

Hugs to you all!!!!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited July 2013

I'm home and resting. I made my appointment with Vinnie for Dec.3. He is booked until then. Should I wait even longer?

Mags....I would blow that drain up when it comes out! Hang tough like you always do:)! Hugs

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2013

Barb do call if you are feeling depressed.  So understandable... try not to beat yourself up... These surgeries are difficult.  I am sure the seroma has you down also.... creeping up a few pounds can be depressing too.  As a lifetime WW member you know how to do it... and you'll do it again.  I agree about moving forward with surgery... waiting just because of weight is a toughie... If it's more than weight issues than that might be another story.

I lost 65lb prior to Stage 1... and now I'm at impasse... I insisted I wanted to lose 40 more before the next surgery but I am burned out.  I feel like this summer I am taking it easy... trying to maintain... and enjoying the life around me.  I regret that I'm not working harder at it since September is right around the corner... but trying not to beat myself up.  Summer is never a good time for my weight loss (too much beer, too many margaritas, and too much macaroni salad!) :)

That said, If I wasn't worried about health insurance and my husband possibly changing up his job I would absolutely be waiting until next year.  I want to wait... but shouldn't and so I am not.... I hate going in to this surgery with such negativity but I'm emotionally not feeling ready.

Michelle is a great insipiration right now for all of us.  Everytime I read about a 2 hour workout I think I need to get my ass in gear.  

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2013

Melanie, I can't believe vinnie is booked up until dec 3rd, are you going to Nola or Maryland for your appointment?

I want to do it before the end of the year but my stage 2 isn't until the end of August, should I call the center and book him now?

Is it possible to not take a lot of time off work and make it a 3 day weekend?

• chellehump
    edited July 2013

Melanie, so glad you are home and resting!! Take it easy Smile

Mother, thank you for saying that!! That is very sweet and I love being an inspiration to others. It is not easy and I have struggled for years with my weight going up and usually not going back down. Honestly, I do not know if I would have been like this now if I had put stage 2 off and I think it was my Stage 2 surgery that really got me motivated to get in shape. It is very hard in the summer and I work full time, which makes it even harder. I really like how my body has changed and my weight has gone down and I hope after this last go round, it will be even better...Praying really hard!!!!

Sharon, hope you are doing well and resting easy. I know it's hard with those darn drains...Sending well wishes your way!!

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

cherrie...Dr M uses the Americsn heart Association diet.  She cooks all day Sunday and portions out the servings so all she has to do is grab the containers for the day...says she has a freezer full and ready to go all the time.  very disciplined

Maggie

• Barbmal5
    edited July 2013

MartyJ - HAPPY CANCERVERSARY!! I read your post on another thread, 28 yrs & heading for another 28 with a kick butt bod. Go cougarlicious!

Thanks to those who have PM'd me. I very well may take you up on the phone calls. So far this morning I went for a lovely early morning brisk walk & left a message with my Drs nurse. Going to forge ahead with work out plans & keep stage 2 Aug 14th. I start back to work full time tomorrow.

I really like the idea of cooking & freezing for portion control. Worth most of a Sunday for me.

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Marcie...I'm going to Nola. I would schedule it to be sure you get in before end of year. Ask for time after surgery to schedule. I think it's 12 wks. after your surgery. And Yes, make it a 3-day weekend! No need to take off work...depending on the day you can get in with Vinnie:)

When I tell people I'm going back for tatoos, they always tell me anyone here can do that. Um... not...Why would I get the best, and not finish it with the best? Right?

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited July 2013

I'm getting mine done by Vinnie, Sept 12 and it is 12 weeks after your last surgery. I made a appointment before I even had my stage 2, which was June 17. I had heard he was getting booked up and I wanted to get it done before the end of the year so I made it right after my stage 1.

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Smart thinking Judy:)

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

Barbmal - thank you!  28 years cancer free! Whew.

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

wow that is an amazing thing MartyJ!

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

It truly is and I want everyone going through this that there really is an end.  That you forget about a lot of the bad and yucky stuff.  It is my hope that you will keep with you the funny things as those are the memories that you will cherish.  

• bdavis
    edited July 2013

So I want to book tattoos too.... but assumed I need to wait 12 weeks after last surgery, but then read how some people get it at the same time as a stage IIb or IIc. anyone know the rule here? I can't imagine having surgery and then the next day getting tats.