Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2013

Marsha, since I don't know yet if I will need radiation, I asked NOLA that exact question. I was told the DIEP could be done 3-4 months following radiation. I imagine the answer is different depending on the PS.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited September 2013

Melanie, that's kinda what I was afraid of. The hole on my right hip started about a week ago and I sent pics Friday and now it's doubled in size. Laura said something about sutures coming to the surface, but honestly it doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like its a process, but Laura made

It out like its no big deal....

Marty, my surgery was about 4 hours and it took me 2 hours to wake up this time. I had a rough time. They had to open up the backside incision and take out the cording I had and he tried to pull the scars up some so I wasn't sitting on them, but my skin was so tight he was only able to pull them up a little bit. I'm thinking my skin is so tight around my hips and I am really swollen maybe that's causing it? I don't know....

I went back to work last Thursday and had to have someone drive me home and someone else follow in my car. I worked from home on Friday and today I left at 1 to go to the doctor. I was having issues with the disability company and I told Kim in NOLA to put me back at work and now I regret it.

I can't wait to actual feel like walking much less working out.

I'm bad about drinking water much less fluids, but I've been trying really really hard!!! I know it's key to healing. I've just never felt like this and I have to drive etc.

Thank you all for the kind words, prayers and opinions :-) I really appreciate it ladies.

Klanders, so glad this will be easier for you!!

Hugs to you all!!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2013

chelle...I had a spot open on my Diep belly scar...I did the wet to dry bandage too for a few days but mine decided to open up a little too much for Dr M's liking and I ended up with a wound vac.  I was already going to Hyperbaric Oxygen tx everyday so that extended the duration I had to do that.  Many times the bandage works and you do not have to do anything else.  The wounds do take longer to heal as it is from the inside out that it must heal.  Rest and take it easy.  Keep a close eye on the wounds and make sure they are not getting bigger or getting a whitish overgrowth that requires debridement by a doctor.  Hugs to you--you have been through so much and it is overwhelming.  Our bodies sometimes revolt with fatigue and weakness to make us slow it down. 

Maggie

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited September 2013

Marsha - I was told by NOLA (I had Dr. S) that they require at least 4 months after rads to do a DIEP. Mine was done at 4 1/2 months, and I had a few complications. I still wonder if I had waited longer if I would have had a better outcome -- partly for more recovery in general to overcome fatigue, and also to let the radiated side heal longer.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited September 2013

Chelle, I have no words of wisdom, just wanted to say I'm sorry you're having a hard time right now. Hugs to you!!

• chellehump
    edited September 2013

Thank you Maggie for sharing. I just took the bandage off and it had "goop" on it for lack of better words. I guess I'll have to wait and see how this goes. I just wish I didn't have work and do the whole go go go thing, but I do hear it as my body saying to slow down.

I forgot to mention he opened up both breasts and moved the flap over on my left side and lipo and fat grafted from my lower and mid stomach and some from my upper knees. Dr D told my hubby though, this would be a very easy recovery...well that didn't turn out to be right :-(

I have an appt with the dermatologist on Thursday for the consult on the kenalog injections im supposed to start at 6 weeks, but Laura told me today that I can't do the injections with open wounds....ugh!!!!

Sorry ladies, I'm just frustrated and putting on my own pity party I guess. You are all so strong and thank you for always being here to listen and offer support cause there are so many out there that just have no freaking clue what we've gone through.

Hugs & love to you all and I mean that with all my heart!!!!

• chellehump
    edited September 2013

Thank you Diane!!!! I will take all the hugs I can get tonight!!!!

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2013

Michelle, there is nothing wrong with a pity party once in a while. Besides you've got justifications to pity & party! We've all had one or two of our own and what better place to have one than here! We get it & were here for you so party away!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2013

Michelle, I don't like that you are experiencing dizziness and low blood pressure over 5 weeks out, especially given that you went into surgery so strong.  I second Marty on the fluids.  Do you feel anemic?  I'm not much for red meat, but a few servings after my surgeries really pepped me up.  I hope you turn the corner soon!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2013

Chelle- wish I had some advice to give, but I am sending positive thoughts and healing vibes your way.

Kristen- you've got this! Have a safe trip home and hope to meet you in a couple of weeks.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited September 2013

Chelle..try protein shakes:) that helped me alot. The lipo wiped me out! You will get through this. Hugs!

Klanders..thinking of you:)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2013

Chelle, sorry. :(

Ann, Dr. D made me wait 6 months after rads to do stage 1. But this was in 2009 (!!)

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited September 2013

Chelle - I hope you can get some more rest to speed healing. I empathize with wound troubles and allergic reactions -- and fatigue. Praying it will get better soon.

Spring - It was early 2012 that I inquired at the Center, and also on Dr. D's forum (same answer: 4 months after rads). After a rocky year, I'm rethinking the timing. I wasn't expecting the complications.

• chellehump
    edited September 2013

Well I woke up this morning and I couldn't muster the strength to get up and go to work. I texted my boss and explained and laid back down and didn't get up until noon. I am working from home this afternoon. The supplies arrived from NOLA and I applied my first round of wet to dry bandage on both hips. It's so bulky, but it's better than the hip drains ;) Laura is predicting 3 weeks maybe for the wounds to heal. My boss is being great and says he understands and knows that if I could be at work I would be. As long as I stay available by text, phone and email he's good with me being home for now. I told him when I get done with the doctor in the morning, I'd let him know I felt and whether I could make it in or not. I am thinking this will only be for the remainder of this week, but we will see.

I am keeping my consult tomorrow morning for the kenalog injections to at least have a plan in place when I am able to start them.

I explained to Laura how I was feeling and she said I don't think it's from the surgery....
    Joking to my husband I told him a little bit ago that I am just crazy I guess...lol

Thank you all for all your support, prayers and hugs!!! It really helps to know you aren't alone with all this.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2013

Michelle, sending hugs and prayers your way!

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Chelle-We are all thinking of you. Eat that protein at every meal and hydrate. Hopefully everyday brings you more energy and healing. (Hugs)

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2013

Back in my room around 1pm. Doing great. Haven't seen anything yet - compression down below and bra with nipple guards. (Dr S pointed me in the right direction.). Eating an apple and kettle chips and waiting for my steak dinner to arrive. What a difference from stage 1. I had some dilaudid early and might again soon just so that pain doesn't get away from me. Right now I feel sore but not really in pain. Glad to be on the other side. Dr S said we could fly home early (currently scheduled for Saturday) but it cost too much to change so we are going to hang out at Hope Lodge after they discharge me tomorrow.

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Yay Kristin. So happy to hear from you. Have a safe trip home. Healing hugs coming your way.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2013

Klanders...fabulous news

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited September 2013

Klanders...great news!!! Dr. S just makes you feel so at ease:)

• chellehump
    edited September 2013

Yeah Kristen!!! I love hearing great news!! Rest easy tonight :-)

Thank you all again. I just changed me bandages again and I'm turning in for the night.

Sweet dreams my sweet friends!!!

Hugs to you all!!!!

Chelle

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2013

So glad you are feeling well, Klanders!  Careful with the dilaudid -- it was great for me after Stage 1 but knocked me on my @ss after Stage 2!   Rest well!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2013

MIchelle - Sleep Well!

Kristen - You sound wonderful!  Yippee!

• Zenful
    edited September 2013

Klanders, glad to hear you are doing so well with Stage 2. It gives hope to those of us who have yet to go through it. I pray you continue to do well and heal quickly.

• ssla01
    edited September 2013

Congratulations Kristen. My Stage 2 is Monday. I hope I do that well.

• ssla01
    edited September 2013

Zenful, was your sentinel node surgery today?

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited September 2013

Kristen, welcome to the other side. If you are up to it go visit city park. It's pretty and then you can say that stage 2 was a walk in the park! Glad it's not too painful.

Chelle, of course it's from the surgery. These things add up. I hope you can get back to your old self soon. What are these ken along injections for?

Anyone do laser scar removal? I'm impatient and quite bothered by the bright red scar around my waist. Just exchanged emails from the center and the doctor thinks he wouldn't need to reopen my abdominal scar so I'm thinking of seeing what I can do to make it less noticeable. I do the cream but that really does nothing. I tried the silicone sheet and I'm allergic, of course. I saw an add for it at sona med spa where I got my laser hair removal, but I assume there I'd have to pay for it. I'd like if I could get insurance to pay for it. Any recommendations are appreciated. Also do you think I could do this on chemo?

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2013

2am - Spoke too soon! Fair amount of pain now. I think it's mostly from the tightness of the compression girdle. 1 dilaudid a few minutes ago - still hasn't kicked in. Long night but I'm trying to be quiet because my husband is just a few feet away on a Murphy bed.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2013

Marsha - I did lasar scar treatments several years ago on one of my original MX incisions.  It was painful as they do it, but it did help.  It was not inexpensive, though, and not covered by insurance.  I believe that I required about 4 sessions, 6 weeks apart.  The results were good.  Before you explore that, try to find some patience.  Dr. M told me that I need to give my incisions 2 years before they reach their final coloration.  I totally understand your frustration, but I can assure you the scars do change over time.  From my original BMX until DIEP, I had those incisions reopened at least 7 times.  We all get very impatient in this process and want to be "back to normal" as soon as possible - which is definately not soon enough.

• Zenful
    edited September 2013

Ssla01, yes had sentinel node surgery yesterday. I am meeting with the surgeon on Tuesday morning to get the results. Praying they are negative so I can avoid radiation. Either way, NOLA will then be in a position to schedule my bmx once I have the results and they know which surgery to schedule. I'm a little nervous about the surgery, but reading all your posts helps me to prepare and know I will get through this just as all you lovely warriors have done.