Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2013

Fingers crossed for you, zenful!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited September 2013

Thanks Marsha, I feel this has to be from all the surgeries combined and just overall fatigued. My blood levels are a little low and my blood pressure is also low. They gave me a B12 shot and I feel a little bit better.
    I went to the dermatologist and had my consult. First, she said since the scaring is underneath the skin, I could develop indentations on top of the skin because fat and scar tissue act the same way when injected. Meaning I could be helping one problem, but ceating another. She also wouldn't even start until I am at least 3 months if not 6 months out of surgery. She looked at my open incision and said some surgeons like the wet to dry bandage process but this is so much better and heals much faster. Its called aquaphor. I already have a call into Laura about that. If it was so great, I would think the docs at NOLA would use and recommend it right?
    Anyway, Just getting up, showering etc. going to the doctor and running to Kroger for a handfull of things...I'm exhausted. So, I am working from home again today.

Kristen, hoping you are feeling better this morning!!
    Zen, prays for you!!

I see a nap in my future...

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2013

Michelle - lots of dermatologists love aquaphor.  It is a simple over the counter like neosporin, but doesn't have the same ingredients.  Dr. Oz loves it too.  I have tried it for some things, but not open wounds (only those with stitches).  Can't wait to hear how it works for you and if the NOLA docs like it.

• chellehump
    edited September 2013

Marty, I haven't heard back from NOLA yet, but am curious if they will be offended that I asked about it. If it's great and so many recommend it, then why don't they? They sent a box of supplies to do the wet to dry bandage(s) so I would think there is a reason behind it...

Guess we will see

• chellehump
    edited September 2013

HA, well I just heard back and she said it won't hurt it, but they don't recommend it for these type of open wounds. She said she specifically showed Dr D my pics and he wants me to do the wet to dry bandaging. It's a perference thing and the wounds tend to heal better and scar less doing it this way. It's a pain and the bandages are bulky, but I trust Dr. D :)

• MartyJ
    edited September 2013

So glad you heard from NOLA.  My derm recommends it for on top of stitches, but not open wounds.  She usually tells me to use Aquaphor or Vaseline on stitches and that is because using Neo often causes allergic reactions.  I would totally trust Dr D on this one!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2013

Zenful-🙏🙏🙏🙏

Sharon- you will do great on Monday! When do you leave?

Kristin- have a safe trip home and keep healing.

Did my pre-op bloodwork today. Two weeks for me and I will be done!!!!!!'nn

• MartyJ
    edited September 2013

Cherrie - Soooooo jealous!!!  Can't wait for you to be finishedSealed.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2013

Thanks Cherrie. We leave in the morning. Pre-op tomorrow and stage 2/hysterectomy on Monday. I'm not as nervous this time, just ready for it to be done.

Zenful, saying prayers for negative nodes. Keep us posted.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2013

ssla...you will do great!

Zenful....praying for a great result for you

Maggie

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2013

Good luck Sharon!  I will be thinking of you.  Is Dr. Von Almen doing your hysterectomy?  I'm still wondering how the finance side of things is going to work out. Nobody knows what my co-pay is and that's got me really nervous.  

Chelle, chin up, you'll turn the corner soon.  Just follow Dr. D and Laura's instructions explicitly

Zenful, hope you get good results.  Please keep us updated!

I'm right on your heels, Cherrie once again :)  My pre-op bloodwork, x-rays, and EKG are all done.  I'm not nervous about Dr. D's part, but I am very nervous and emotional about the hysterectomy/oophorectomy that Dr. Von Almen is going to do. And really, I'm terribly worried about my hormones more than anything.  I'm 36 and nowhere near menoapuse, so I hope we're doing the right thing here :(  Touch choices.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2013

Ladies, thank you, thank you for all your prayers. My lymph nodes are negative. No radiation...yaaaayyy!!!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2013

Yay!!!!  Congratulations!!!

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2013

Zenful - yay!!! Celebrating with you!

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Zenful- what great news for you!!!

Audrella-If you have come to this decision then it is right for you. Are you BRCA +? Don't second guess yourself about this. You have added years to your life. I understand what a difficult decision it must be at your young age.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited September 2013

Zenful!!! doing the happy Dance for you girlfriend!!!!!!!!!

Audrella...Do what your heart tells you:) Hugs!!!!!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2013

Wonderful, Zenful! 

Audrella, Thinking of you and wishing you peace with your decision.

• mags20487
    edited September 2013

Zen...that is fantastic news!  Happy dancing around my kitchen

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2013

Zen Congrats!

Ssla01 & mtpeteacher lots of luck with your upcomings.

Michelle, how are things? Thinking about you & sending prayers your way.

Audrella, I can appreciate your feelings of being nervous and uncertain about the after effects of a prophylactic oophorectomy/hysterectomy. I also had this done and hadn't started menopause yet but was a lot older. My experience was pretty rough. I felt like I was thrown into the deep end of a pool (a very hot and cold pool) & left to "figure it out". Unfortunately I didn't think to get any help. Honestly I didn't even think there was any help available. What a doo-doo I was. You are definitely on the right track with this site. You'll need to ask, ask, ask & find out what type of HRT (hormone replacement therapy) or other tricks that will help you with your specific needs, what to know about bone loss, etc.

I am BRCA1+ so there were some options that were not appropriate for me. There are answers out there and believe me even though you are opening a new door and entering an unknown it is all doable & far outweighs that other doorway.

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Sharon and mtpeteacher- we are all thinking of you! You will do great. Have a nice dinner and drink!

• mtpeteacher
    mtpeteacher Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2013

Thank you for your positive thoughts.....headed to NOLA at 5:45 am tomorrow. I really appreciate all the posts from many of you re what to take with me. Zoemom is getting ready for her surgery in NY this week. May this be a good week for healing, hope and moments of joy for us all.

• chellehump
    edited September 2013

Sharon and Mtpeteacher sending prayers!!!!

Sroberts, hope you are doing & resting well!!!

Hugs to you all!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2013

Good Luck, mtpeteacher. Sending positive energy and thoughts your way.

• Cherrie
    edited September 2013

Mtpeteacher- Make sure you start Miralax right now. You are in such good hands. Give that doc of yours a hug for me. I am after you, in Chicago, same doctor.

• mags20487
    edited September 2013

to all the ladies up this week...happy new boobies!  Safe travels.  Healing vibes

Maggie

• MartyJ
    edited September 2013

Sharon & Mpeteacher - hoping you have a wonderful week.  Sleep well and let us know how things go.  Big ((hugs)) to you and please give big ((hugs)) to our doc.

• chellehump
    edited September 2013

Said tons of prayers last night for the ladies upcoming and those that are trying to heal like me and to then for everyone who knows how I'm feeling inside.

I got into a discussion with one of my dear friends last night that upset me on so many levels. I don't ever compare what I have gone through to what anyone may be going through. I'm always available to listen and offer support and do whatever I can. She says to me I want you to know how strong you are and you need to "man up" to this and move on. What???? Ahhhhh!!! You don't laugh and joke anymore she said and acted like its been a year since that's happened when in reality it's been a week or two!! Comparing your cramps to what I've gone through the past year just rubbed me the wrong way after several other comments she made. I am trying to work through all this and heal and yesterday I slept on and off literally all day.

I love her and I always will, but telling me to man up really pushed my buttons. We literally went back and forth (we werent yelling) for almost 45 minutes and she just made me feel horrible like all of what I am going through is no big deal. I actually started to lose my voice, which I thought was very odd. Maybe cause I am weak, but i can talk for hours and hours and never lose my voice. We ended the conversation cause I was tired and couldn't talk anymore and then she calls my husband. Sorry, I just needed to get that out cause I'm sure someone on here can relate.

I know I'm strong and I will get through this too, but right now I need to concentrate on me and my family and getting my life back on track. I just don't know where our friendship will go from here. I didn't put everything that was said, but some wounds are pretty deep :-(

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

Chelle..sounds like she may be going through something herself!!! Sorry you are having to deal with this on top of just having surgery. Rest, relax, and Recover!!! Sending huge hugs!!!!!

• chellehump
    edited September 2013

Thanks Melanie!!! She called my husband again this morning and asked how bad it was. He explained how angry and hurt I was and she wanted to know how to fix it. He kind of went off a little bit and told her like it was. Every surgery I've had something has gone wrong and my body continues to work against me and its frustrating. They talked for a while and she called me and worked some stuff out. I really can't handle anymore negativity in my life right now. Sorry for my rant earlier, I was just so angry and emotional. It still just blows me away how many people just have no clue :-(

I'm going to lay down and take a nap. I've been up and doing some stuff around here today and I'm just exhausted.

I know this wasn't really surgery or recovery related, but knew someone on here would understand. You ladies are just amazing!!!!

I prayed hard for all of you last night and you are always in my daily prayers!!!!

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

Im glad she called back and wanted to make things right. That means alot! We know your pain and thats why we are here for each other:) HAPPY NAP TO YOU!!!!