Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited October 2013

Zenful ..that's exactly how my stage 2 was . I wanted a post-op also and it was on a Monday. We left Tuesday.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2013

I did not have any compression after my diep but have been in compression 24/7 since March when I had my gap....complications yada yada yada....

Just got back from our mountain vaca. Had started my "period" 2 weeks ago and it was light...no biggie...but then when we got to NC I started to gush...mind you that was 10 days after I started. The gush lasted for 3 days and I am now so weak and tired. It was hard to enjoy the trip much as my energy was zapped. I have an appt for an US this Wed as the blood work I had done now shows that I am not in menopause but my cycles are messed up and irregular. Gyn wants to find out what is going on and I am glad I made this appt 3 weeks ago before the flood began. Just hoping that if I need a hysterectomy that maybe we can postpone my Dec 4th surgery with DR M and combine the 2 in NOLA...we shall see

Maggie

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited October 2013

Maggie :-(. Sorry to hear about your trip flow! I had a hysterectomy 2 months before my cancer was found. It was using the DaVinci robot and I kept my ovaries. It wasn't a bad surgery, but if you can combine the 2 that would be great. The docs work with Dr Van Almen (sp?) - he called me at home when I was considering having my ovaries removed at stage 2. Seemed like a great doc. But I decided I wanted to keep them.

Zenful. My preop was on Tuesday, surgery was Wednesday, released on Thursday and I had a flight home on Saturday. My stage 2 was so minor (don't get me wrong lipo is painful but not like stage 1!) that they would have let me fly home on Friday had I been able to change my flight.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2013

Pat, I had stage 2 DIEP Aug 14th (Wed), stayed overnight, post-op Friday & flew back to PA early Saturday morning. I had a lot of lipo in my back & hips & a little between my thighs, fat deposits in the breasts and a lift & probably could've flew home earlier but really wanted the post-op since I live so far away. Kept 1 drain (hip) for about 4&1/2 weeks or so but I was in no hurry to get rid of it after pulling it too early at stage 1 & developing a seroma. I made sure I stayed fairly active & my numbers were well below 20 cc for 3-4 days in a row before I pulled it. I actually flew to FL for a week with friends and ended up pulling it there.

Taking it easy does make your fluid less but you want to be sure your numbers are low AND you're fairly active before you pull.

I didn't wear compression after stage 1 but have been in it almost 24/7 since (even with the drains). Im like Marty J & will focus on the 6 month mark. I wear a pretty heavy compression Veronique breast to knee during the day & switch to a Spanx & bra to sleep in. Early on I did try to go without any compression & my skin got all swollen, red and painful. They said get back into compression, put me on an antibiotic & within 1-2 days I was soo much better. It's kind of a love/hate relationship.

Hope this helped a little.

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2013

Hi Ladies,

I have been reading these comments for weeks and now have a few questions. I am currently scheduled with Dr. Trahan for DIEP surgery on Dec 18th. I have had a mastectomy to my right side. Completed chemo and radiation. I plan on having my left breast removed and get some new tata's. Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone used Dr. Trahan? Your experience with him?

2. What has been the experience with how long drains stay with DIEP?

3. My insurance is out of network, so I have to pay 20%. Has anyone been able to get them to work with you or lower the out of pocket expense?

4. I have seen numerous people post about 2b, 2c surgeries. Why so many? I was hoping to do Stage I and Stage II and be complete.

I have a son getting married in June and I just want to make sure I am physically able to enjoy all of the events that will run from late January - June.

Any and all advice is gladly accepted and very much appreciated!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited October 2013

vwbordelon,

I think my drains were in about 3 weeks, some have them much longer. I don't think there is any way to tell what to expect with that.

When you work with Nola on the cost after doing your financial statement, whatever you agree to is what you will pay. It will be affordable. I also had an out of network insurance that paid 80% of what they think is acceptable.

The surgery will slow you down for a month or 2. I found I could socialize and take care of what I needed to, but I had to conserve my energy. So I think if you prioritize what you spend your energy on you will be ok. But I wouldn't plan on hosting any holiday meals or doing anything too strenuous for at least 6 weeks. I've been doing chemo for 4 months so I can't say how I would feel after 2 months with just the surgery. You would be able to do stage 2 in 4 months if you aren't doing chemo, so you need to plan that downtime too--but you could do that later if it's not a convienent time.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Vwbordelon - I flew to DC at 8 weeks and walked a fair amount. I was okay. You should be able to enjoy all of the wedding events, just don't push yourself too hard. I met Dr. T several times during rounds and post op. He was very nice and very patient.

Stage 2 can be done as one procedure, but it depends on your body and what is needed. Sometimes they like to stage fat grafting as you generally lose some. If your abdominal incision needs revision, they may not want to do all the lipo and fat grafting. With time, things change as they settle in. Swelling can come and go for quite a while.

This is one surgical procedure that requires patience and time. Be easy on yourself and don't expect too much. You will be pleasantly surprised.

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

I had Dr. Trahan assist on my Stage 1 and 2. He also was my post op doc after Stage 2. He is great!!!

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited October 2013

Dr. Trahan has been my doctor since I started this journey in March.  He has been great.  He even brought my new antibiotic(changed since old one was making me sick)  to me at the Hope Lodge during my Stage 1 most doctors wouldn't do that. 

I thought I would only have a Stage 1 and Stage 2 and then get tats, but it didn't work out that way.   I was scheduled to get tats in Sept., but I wanted Dr. T to look at me first since one side was just a tad  lower than the other.  Well I ended up having a unplanned surgery while there, so that would be my Stage 2a.  I am now scheduled for tatts in April.  At least I should be well healed by that time.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2013

Wow, Judy -- that is really impressive! What a good guy.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

Vw-I had drains for 4 weeks. Some have them longer, some less. They have a job to do so don't be in a hurry to lose them. When they are gone it is a big relief however. Many of us here do a freedom dance for one another.

TheCenter will work with you on the cost. They asked for a financial statement and we settled for an amount over the phone. It was still a lot, but this is something I really wanted.

I had different things addressed in 2a,b,and c. Some women are done after their first stage 2. I had a lift, scar revision, fat grafting, dog ear removed, etc. everyone is different. See how you heal and then make decisions about what needs to be done. I got surgery weary. I just couldn't go in again.

You will be in great hands with Dr. T.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

Dr. Trahan assisted on my Stage 1 and made the hospital rounds while I was there. I agree with Russell and Cherrie, you will be in good hands and he is great! The doctors, nurses and everyone are top notch, and they all love working there, which bodes well for the patients. There is little to worry about once you get there. They take care of all the details.

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2013

Judy

When Stage 2a was done I assume there was a charge for that also? I'm sorry to ask so many financial questions, but I am having to pay 20% out of pocket so I would like to have an idea of what I am looking at. The un-forseen costs could add up quickly. I have a call in to get some clarification.

Thanks

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2013

Zenful... I had hip drains for 8.5 weeks... so be patient. My DIEP drains were out after two weeks. As to compression, I wore compression from the beginning, and wore it as long as I could tolerate it. After stage one that was for almost 10 weeks.... after stage II, it was 6 weeks.

VW.... Dr Trahan assisted my stage I and made rounds. He is a great guy. He also was the doctor I spoke to on the phone when I had a complication, as the on call doctor. And yes, all surgeries are separate. I tried to have my surgeries in the same year so that I didn't have multiple years of paying my OOP. So I had 4 surgeries in 2011 and 2 surgeries this year. Don't be concerned when I say this, as I had a complication and it required a minor wound surgery and then DIEP (so three in one month) and then my stage II 3 months later. I then chose to have a stage IIb and IIc, because I am looking for something just a little better, but most people would probably be very satisfied with where I am. For me, it has been affordable, but mine is basically in-network.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited October 2013

I guess I have been lucky since the hospital and Drs. are in network with my insurance. I've paid my out of pocket early on my stage 1 so now my insurance pays 100 percent. I have had to pay a co pay at the center for the Dr T. pre op and a co pay for the hospital. But that's just a drop in the bucket compared to what my insurance has paid. I've had three surgeries and each were billed to my insurance separately. This includes hospital, doctors charges, anesthetist and any nurses that help the anesthetist, each bill separate or anyway they have on mine. Hope this helps some, but when you talk to the insurance ladies at the center they can help you further.

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Hi ladies - thank you again for all the feedback. I am really hoping that I will be up to doing a bit of site seeing. When I had my TT I also had muscle repair, and was soooo sore, but, I was back at work after two weeks. So, I am hoping the hip flap won't be as bad. I generally have a high tolerance for pain, so my biggest issue is usually staying still (and out of trouble). Though lately I am so tired. My bedtime seems to be getting earlier and earlier.

I believe my friends and family think I am nuts doing a phone consult, and committing to fly out of state to have major surgery with a doctor I have never met. I try to explain that she comes highly recommended (from an online board, they don't get that either!) and that not many doctors do what she does. My DH has not questioned it though. He just goes with the flow...no questions ask. Most of the time it is good, but sometimes I wish he would speak up and ask questions. I asked him how come he will spend weeks researching the best TV, computer, etc, but when it comes to anything cancer/recon, he really has no clue. He says that he has me to tell him...argh....

Pattysmiles - NO DRAINS...WOO HOO!!!! I know that is one of the best feelings!!!

I have my consult with Dr. M this Saturday...very nervous :) Becky told me she has one opening in November. Otherwise she said I would be scheduled for January, if I like. I think I will pass on November, as I don't want to ruin any of the holidays for anyone.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2013

momof5kids....plenty of people thought I was nuts too. Oh well. They should also realize I am a "researcher" by nature and if THEY ever had something that needed looking into they should come to me! Btw, at least your hubby researches TV's, computers, etc....mine is like a 5year old "I want that one"...NO research...so yet again it falls on me. Hubby likes to tell me I suck the fun out of things by researching! That's okay, I save us the money (which helped to pay for my surgery! Lol). January sounds like a good plan...you can eat your way through Halloween candy, thanksgiving pies and Christmas puddings and put on some belly "boob"! Go a day or so early to see those sights, I don't know how "up to it" you will be. New Orleans is a walking town, walking is difficult after the DIEP, please keep that in mind.

Judy...lucky indeed! I paid a hefty sum for my new girls (and would do it again). Now I am receiving the bills that were billed to hospitalization as opposed to where they should have, the doctors themselves...it's a process. It will be interesting to see how much more I will be paying.

I finally reached out to my accountant to ask about medical bill write off on taxes...10% of gross income must he reached in order to do that. Im sorry to say that I might actually meet that. I can add to it kids braces, medical garments, cost of my airfare and lodging for NOLA, pharmacy costs...at least that is what he told me when I asked, so I will be getting out the statements and starting up my list. Anyone know what else i can add to it? Tax time will be here before I know it! I am also pushing hubby to get some medical things done this year. I managed to get a child tax credit one year (years ago) when I took an unpaid leave....I had everything figured out to fall within the income guidelines and we were going to be cutting it close....then hubby did overtime ...we were within a hair of losing the 2,000 credit for the paltry OT he had done! Plan wisely!

Pat

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited October 2013

That's great, Judy! I think there is only one insurance company that they are in network for, all the rest they are out of network for. Lucky you!

Patty, I actually just filed my 2012 tax returns and did meet the income requirement. I did a spreadsheet and boy was I shocked when I added everything up for the year. I had eye surgery, hubby had some dental work, my daughter had a retainer, it was a VERY expensive year to say the least. I'm guessing since I've had two surgeries also this year, we will meet it again for 2013. Hoping for a non-eventful 2014 medically speaking!

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

Haven't heard from Michelle (chellehump) in a while...wanted to know how the injections are going. Check in soon. I still have daily pain on the gap donor cheek....sigh. May be needing hysterectomy next so no fixing going to happen there unless I get some good news tomorrow. Today is day 17 of the "period" from hell! Feeling weak and tired. Started to take multivitamin with iron....ugh!

Maggie

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2013

I researched like crazy, too, and kept coming back to NOLA. Glad I did. My college friend from Washington state thought I was nuts to go so far away and to go alone for the initial appointments and surgery day and so she made a snap decision to join me in NOLA just two days before I left (my hubby was scheduled to join me on post op day #2). My friend was overwhelmed at how wonderful the Center was in all ways. She visited NOLA two weeks ago for a vacation / convention because she loved the place so much!

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

I was fortunate to have plenty of time for research - several years. I kept circling around DIEP and then where. Listened to a local doc's presentation and listened to one by Dr. Marga. Half way through, my DH leaned over and said "she's the one". We shook hands after her presentation. I had lunch with some of her staff after. We did a phone consult a month later. And that was it. My girls will celebrate their first birthday on November 9th. Love them!

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Jane123 - that is so good to hear! I am nervous, but I hear such good things about the surgeons and the level of care down there. Fingers crossed that Dr. M says I am a candidate for the hip flaps when I talk to her this weekend.

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

Momof5...You answered my questions that I sent you in Private message;) You will have enough on your hips!! :)

Mags...ugh!!! I just want to send tinkerbell over to you and sprinkle you with some magic dust!!! Hoping things get better asap!!! hugs!!!!

Everyone thought I was crazy for going to Nola without meeting Dr....etc.....Best decision I made!!!! Researching always pays off:)

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited October 2013

Hugs to you Maggie! I know how it feels and am SO glad that I don't have to deal with 3 weeks of bleeding with a week off every month. I couldn't get my uterus out fast enough! Will your upcoming surgery be a big one? I combined a big 2b with a laparoscopic hysterectomy/oophorectomy and the recovery was a bit more than I was expecting. I sailed through stage 1 and 2, but 2b with the hysterectomy/oophorectomy was REALLY tough on me.

Momof5...it's a leap of faith, but it's not an uneducated one. You'll be so happy with everything about your experience!

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

Audrella...I am guessing that Dr M had many things planned for me this go round as last one in August she went really easy on me just to show that complications can be avoided LOL. She has recommended Dr Terry in Charleston as this is where I will be having stage 2 but I may have to change the date if it is needed. Fingers crossed...hope I know something tomorrow after the US. Not looking forward to that for sure but at least there is no pain involved with US

Momof5kids...NOLA is so amazing. I did the phone consult thing too and no one at home could understand. I am so glad I went as I know no other Docs would have wanted to even attempt doing diep on me. Even when complications came up they just know exactly what to do and if it stumps one surgeon they are not too proud to ask for another opinion from the others there. I had three docs involved with my diep. We kindly have dubbed St Charles Surgical as "the spa" Before going I knew exactly what I had to pay OOP as it was agreed upon after I sent in the financial form with Vicky. They are truly amazing. Ask anything here and we will help anyway we can.

Maggie

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Maggie - Dr. Terry was involved with my hysterectomy 18 years ago. She is a very, very well respected doc here. Very early on, she and her first partner (who is now retired) set up a women's clinic with only women doctors and would not allow residents to follow them because that often creates discomfort in the patients. Delinda Terry was the doc on call when I had bp problems the evening of surgery and rounded on me a couple of times. She was also the GYN for many of my friends. You will be in good hands with her!

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

It surely is a leap of faith! I am counting the days until I can get these silicone things out. I can't imagine another 40 or 50 years with them in.

I have to say, it is pretty amazing the reconstruction that they can do these days. When I was a kid in the 70s my mom had BC (age 28) and my grandmother, who lived with us, was stage 4 (bc in her mid 40s). My mother worked with the ACS and had all these books and booklets with photos of ladies that had mastectomies...some with reconstruction, some without. I remember how scary it was. Years later, at 23, I had a lumpectomy. I refused tamoxifen, and profy BMX was discussed over the years, but I could never get over some of those images. When I was diagnosed with IDC I had had enough of the monitoring and biopsies; I had dense breasts and frankly I had lost faith in screening (u/s and mammo never found it). I opted for BMX. I was amazed when I saw photos the work that some if these doctors were doing. It is truly amazing.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2013

momof5... I actually had no pain from the hip flap surgery... It is a much easier recovery than DIEP (had that too), so don't worry about pain. And it is a leap of faith to get on a plane, but these docs have the whole thing figured out, from the limo that picks you up at the airport to the spa-like setting at the hospital... I did fly down to meet with the docs, but I had the time to do so and stayed with a friend. I too am a huge researcher and I also had a ton of people think I was crazy...One of whom was my husband... in the end, 2.5 years later I am getting to the bottom of how he felt out of my loop during my research period. Needless to say, he is leaving me. And I thought having cancer was rough.

Pat... you can include airfare, miles driven to all doctor appts, hotel, copay, dentist, glasses, bandages, compression garments etc. If you have ever had Turbo Tax it lists things you can include which might jog your memory. Also, in NJ the threshold is lower. So even though I have never met the federal threshold, I almost always benefit at the state level.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2013

I hope you are hanging in there, Betsy.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Betsy, I am so very sorry. This is such a difficult time in your life with the kids gone and your H being a jacka$$. You seem to have a great group of supportive friends. I hope that you are able to take comfort in them.