Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2013

Melanie: big hugs. I would want to sleep until biopsy, too.

Betsy, having fluid this far out is surprising, unless it was hiding well all this time. I'm curious to know what Dr D has to say.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2013

Melanie... Sorry you are worrying... I am thinking of you. I agree that docs are wanting to be cautious. Try not to worry.

Jeanine tells me to go ahead and get it aspirated, so I have an appt for the 13th. Then a week later I will see Dr D, and we can discuss any further treatment. It is odd indeed that it showed up in late September since surgery was in January....

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2013

Melanie, good luck tomorrow. Hugs.

Betsy, so sorry you have to deal with the seroma. How long do you think it has been there? I had another drain pulled today, and Amy said they want me to pull the last drain by Friday, even if it hasn't met the requirements. My concern is that the fluid will build under the skin, just as yours has. How long was your drain in that hip?

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2013

Zen, I pulled a drain per Jeanine's instruction even though it did not meet the requirements. All was well. Hoping the best for you.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Russell- after my MRI the radiologist recommended an US also. The wording was similar. Dr. Massey called my oncologist and they agreed that many radiologists have little experience reading our MRI's. After the US the radiologist thought it was surgical changes and necrosis. Dr. Massey agreed so I did not do a biopsy. I am thinking this could be your case. I still took a something for relaxing. I am so thinking of you.

Marty- NO- keep us updated!

Betsy-damn! How does this happen so far afterwards?

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Lynn... I had surgery in January, and have been fine... This sort of popped up about September. I was feeling a little puffy and called the lymphatic massage PT, but didn't pursue it til two weeks ago when I felt very puffy. I cannot explain why it is happening so far out past surgery, but if I had to guess I would say perhaps from spin class. When I sit on the bike, it may put too much pressure on the butt check, pushing the cheek toward the incision. It is in the same location I had the cellulitis, so I am being cautious. Perhaps it is lymphatic fluid. Perhaps it is a seroma. Perhaps a bursa. Whichever way it goes, it needs to be drained. The right side is totally flat. And I guess if aspiration doesn't work then I guess Dr D will have to do something on his end.

Cherrie... no clue. And not happy that it did. But I am optimistic a little aspiration and compression and I will be good to go.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited November 2013

yes Cherrie..that's what I'm hoping also. Does anyone think I should call the center and let them know about this ?

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

thank you Zenful!

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2013

Russel - I just sent you a PM.  I had a somewhat similar experience and called the Center.  I am actually in NOLA right now and was just  evaluated by a radiologists they recommended.  I thought the evaluation was very helpful so I recommend you contact the  NOLA docs. (Also the NOLA docs want to be kept in the loop.)  The bottom line is that local docs don't have a lot of experience evaluating radiology results of flaps.  MRIs results can be very confusing.    It looks like in my case what I am dealing with seems to be fat necrosis and surgical changes. Wishing you B-9 results....

• drdolittle
    drdolittle Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2013

I read but I tend not to post - perhaps denial that I actually part of a breast cancer group. I was purchasing my flights for NOLA last Friday and suddenly realized my surgery was in 2 weeks - Yikes, I thought I had 3 weeks. I have my preop on the 11th and surgery the12th with Dr. D and Von almen. Panic is setting in trying to get everything in order before I leave. I have procrastinated and denied this is for too long. :) crunch time

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2013

Melanie, I would send the images to Dr. Stolier and get him to have a look. I had a few lumps this summer on my chest wall well above my breast and he reviewed my MRI images. He quickly identified the lumps as oil deposits that had formed from the necrosis in my failed flap. The lumps were so far from the necrosis that I didn't expect them to be related, but he was 100% sure that's all it was. (He again used a cooking-with-chicken-meat analogy. He has one for every occasion.) Dr. Stolier is uniquely qualified to assess what is going on and he's like a kid in a candy store with MRI images. I hope you get this resolved and behind you very soon!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

drdoolittle - you have reached the required point right before surgery. We all have flurries of activity and panic that we won't get everything ready. Just remember that you really only need to show up. You will be fine as you are in great hands!

Melanie - def call the Center!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2013

drdolittle --

My surgery is the 13th ... if you are still in SCSH, perhaps we can meet?

NOLA bound today for a little r'n'r before surgery! Last dance with Dr.D. We'll make it a good one! :-)

Maggie1

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

keep us updated Maggie 1. I met you one year ago n NOLA. Have fun!

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

dodo little- if you have questions ask a way. One pointer: pain killers and antibiotics can cause constipation. About three days before surgery start Colace and Miralax. I wish I had known this as it could of saved me some real problems a week later. I did do this on following surgeries and did fine.

It is normal to be scared. Trust your doctor. All you have to do is show up! It isn't easy, but it is doable. Take one day at a time and have patience with yourself. Things really picked up for me after 3 weeks. Make sure you have lots of help. You've got this girl.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2013

Betsy, lymph disruption causing it?

• drdolittle
    edited November 2013

Thanks ladies for all the encouragement - I have to get to work but the encouragement made my day and i will think of that when I get frazzled today Thanks gals

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

DrDolittle... what's your date?? I am the 21st. Breathe.

Beverly... lymph disruption? I did go for a lymphatic massage a couple of weeks ago and go again tomorrow... but it didn't drain, so I have no idea why I got whatever I got... If it is lymph fluid, there is no saying it won't just return and fill again.

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

just got back from ultrasound and was told that it looks like oil cysts!!!! I have like 2 or 3 of them. Results will go to my onc by Friday. They just leave those alone I'm hoping? The tech said she hoped she was going to be able to see because of my implants . When I told her they were not implants & my own fat, she was amazed & couldn't believe how good they looked. She wanted the radiologist to come in and look at me! Lol

I am beyond relieved that this is over. These tests are so exhausting!!!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2013

Russell, so glad to hear you had a good result. You were due for some good news. If you are like me, I don't hesitate to show anyone who wants to see them. It's really strange, because I was never that open about showing my chest before. I am just so anxious to let people see what great results can be obtained from this procedure. There is no one in my city that does this surgery, so I guess I am the self-appointed ambassador in my area for the NOLA surgeons.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2013

Russell....super de dooper news!!! I am so happy for you.

Zen....I too am a flasher for anyone in the medical field who wants to see em...too funny

Maggie

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited November 2013

saw my BS yesterday, here in NY. She was very impressed with the NOLA job. She was so impressed she called in her nurse to "check em out". The nurse has been very good to me through the course of my treatment and asked if she could feel them...sure, why not.! She had implants years ago, I think she is jealous.

Russell, congrats on the good news!

Pat

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited November 2013

I have appointment with my ob gyn tomorrow just for a yearly checkup. She doesn't know I have had reconstructive surgery, I think I'll surprise her when I open my gown and she sees all my scars.

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Melanie... phew! excellent news.

• drdolittle
    edited November 2013

Betsy, my surgery is the 12th with preop the day before. I am having symmastia repair and alot of other repairs from my original surgery. I should have headed to NOLA long before now.

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

drdolittle I guess we will miss each other. I fly in the 19th.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

drdolittle- Your surgery is the day I celebrate " my girls" 1 year anniversary. Thinking of you.

Melanie- I am sure you have a big smile on your face today. What a relief!!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2013

Yay, Melanie! Glad to hear!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2013

Wow, looks like a lot has happened since I've been on here last.

Melanie, that is great news!!!! Sending big happy hugs your way!!!

Betsy, wow a seroma so far out....How odd. Sorry you have to deal with that before surgery.

Thoughts and prayers to all the ladies coming up. It's crazy it's already November!!

Question: The side that my incision opened up and I did the wet to dry bandage for weeks for it to close up. About 3 weeks ago I had a small opening (not deep) open up and it's just a small scab. It's enough that when the scab comes off it bleeds. It's small, but won't go away. Any suggestions?

Chelle

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

Thanks everyone!!!!!! Why am I still so guarded about being overly happy? ugh!!!!

Chelle....Call the center but it sounds like you are in the clear. How are the scars now? I'm hoping it is way better for you. I wonder if there is a small piece of stitch in there that wants to come out. That happened to me in several places.

Well I guess its Tatoos with Vinnie on Dec. 3rd :) I have a consult with Dr. S right before. I have become pretty content with the size due to an awesome Victoria Secret bra that makes them look the size I want them!!! lol Seriously though, hubby said "No wonder that bra was expensive! IT was well worth it! I can't keep focused" Anyways...I want him to look at my backside which I still see a little bunnytail..and possibly fill in fat where nodes were taken. I should have addressed this before. On my backside, it's like my butt crack is extended up more than it was...Anyone have this? It could just take time for it to settle more. Just want him to look at it. I need to post on the forum to show you ladies. I can't believe it's November either!!!! I am thankful for each breath I take!!! I am thankful for this family of sisters I here:) Hugs!!!!