Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Lulu2012
    Lulu2012 Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2013

Dear Russell1,

I am so happy for you that it is just oil cysts.

Those are innocent and can be left there from what the Centre told me unless they grow and bother you cosmetically but otherwise can be left alone.

On the subject of tattoos, I was wondering whether the dyes, ink Vinnie will use are organic/vegan?

When I asked him that He never replied back so I think he does not offer that service and so now sadly I am without tattoos. :-(

My biggest concern is not agreeing to have any dyes/ink used for the tattoo that could cause cancer as many of the dyes used contain mercury, heavy metals, and other scAry-heavy duty cancer causing ingredients and given all that us women have already been through in terms of breast cancer the knowledge that the ink could be cancerous would make me run for the hills BIG TIME.

What are your thoughts?

Lulu

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2013

time sure flies...it has been 1 yr today that I lost leftie for the second time. Where does the time go.

Russell...why not trust em....we have put our lives in their hand over and over agian for sure. I have complete trust in my team that this is a cyst and nothing more....granted I do want Dr M to have a peekie see when she is going in on Dec 4th :)

Maggie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

dr M has asked me to get an ultrasound to determine what is going on with the lumpy bumps. Hoping to schedule quickly.

Maggie I am so glad that you kept going with this. I remember your loss. I felt so badly for you, though it scared the heck out of me. We had just arrived in NOLA for a playday before testing began.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited November 2013

mags...so hard to trust with this darn ILC...but I so think it's oil cysts...

Lulu..good question about the dyes..I have no idea what he uses! Did you ask him over email?

• Lulu2012
    edited November 2013

Hi Russell1,

Yes....I asked Vinnie and the answer was disappointing.

To all the other ladies on the blog: have any of you asked Vinnie before getting the procedure done?

And are you also concerned about the cancerous ingredients in tattoo inks?

Lulu

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2013

What a relief Melanie! I am so glad you got good news. If it would make you feel better, why not ask if Dr. Stolier would take a look as well? A second opinion NEVER hurts as we all know all too well.

Care to share what this awesome bra is? Inquiring minds want to know!

Lulu...I am not worried a bit about the ingredients in tattoo ink. There's so much to worry about these days that I just have to pick my battles and hope for the best. Tattoo ink just isn't one of them. That's not to say you shouldn't seek out someone who can or is willing to use vegan ink if it's something that is important to you, just saying for me it's not even on my radar.

Looks like I'm headed for a CT scan of my abdomen sometime in the next two weeks. Since the area on my abdomen I've mentioned before hasn't improved Amy suggested a CT scan to see exactly what it is. She suspects seroma or a hematoma, IIt's firm, not squishy at all so probably a hematoma, right? What if anything can be done for a hematoma? Any harm in just leaving it? t's huge, but it's not really causing me much issue other than being a tad bit sore.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Maggie, I so remember this loss as I visited you and your DH at the Center. It really shook me up and I sent a lot of prayers your way. You have come so far. I am so happy you decided to stick with this. What are you having done in Dec. ?

Coming your way in February. Can't wait to see you again.

• mags20487
    edited November 2013

Dr M is going to start working on the gap donor site. My butt looks like a chunk was taken out of it...oh yeah it was :) I am going to talk with her before the surgery too about looking at the "cyst" just to be sure that is what it is. Perhaps she can remove it and send it to pathology. I look forward to seeing you when you are here Cherrie....the weather should be spectacular in February too!!

Melanie...I hear you....mine is TN and it scares the bejesus out of me when I have to place my trust in their Opinion sometimes but alas I have. I know they would be proactive for you also. The docs at NOLA and my MO are so great...I really do trust them completely...that is why we went there right?! Are you going back soon to see them again or are you done now?

Maggie-2

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2013

Maggie-2, mine is also TN, and yes, it scares the bejesus out of me, too. I try to think positively, and not dwell on it, but I will breath easier once I reach the three year mark. Looks like you are well on your way to that mark. Let's stay positive together and kick its a$$.

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

Zenful...I'm trusting in that the center uses him for tattooing so it's all good.

Audrella...it does sound like a hematoma. I had one after masectomy and it was sore to the touch like a bruise. Would an ultrasound show that? I hate scans!!! But if you have to you have to :/

The fabulous bra is body by Victoria padded perfect coverage. Love it! I got the nude color and the lilac color. I should post in the bra forum!!! Fun fun fun!!!

Mags...I see Vinnie on Dec.3 for tattoos unless Dr. Sullivan says different . I have a consult with him before seeing Vinnie:)

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

just got call from onc. Dr. Results are benign cysts. Wants me to have follow up ultrasound in 6 months. Never-ending story but am happy hearing the benign word always!!!!!

• Zenful
    edited November 2013

Yay Russell! Wonderful news..

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited November 2013

Russell I've been catching up and glad to see that your scare had a happy ending.

• mags20487
    edited November 2013

woo to the hoo for you Russell...this is fabulous news!!!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2013

Melanie... I just bought a Body by Victoria (black) last week... I went in to buy a pink collection and ended up buying both. I think Body was $43???

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

So, when it rains it pours... Marriage is in the toilet, headed out for surgery in two weeks, and today my son (who has a recent issue with elevated HR) called and said that his doctor called after a visit to the cardiologist said he has cardio myopathy. I seriously hope this is not as bad as it sounds when I read about it. My son is having a hard enough time adjusting to college, and now this? I am devastated.Scared. And so very sad for my son. He doesn't need this extra stress... Please say a prayer for him.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2013

Betsy, I'm so sorry to hear this news about your son. I hope it's not a serious condition. Sending hugs & good thoughts to all of you.

• Lulu2012
    edited November 2013

Hi Betsy,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I am sending well wishes and prayers your way.

Stay strong,

Lulu

• Zenful
    edited November 2013

Betsy, I'm so sorry to hear the news. You have had so much to deal with this year, but you are a strong woman and the kind of mother your son needs to get him through this. Keeping you both in my prayers.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2013

am in NOLA ladies and surgery AND tats next week! Wow, got here fast!

Betsy, my ex was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, and fortunately his was the kind caused by a virus -- sort of an über-flu. Some meds and monitoring, some restrictions with activities but in a couple of months he was just fine -- like nothing had happened. This is the more prevalent kind. We went to Cleveland Clinic, the #1heart place in the country. It is really good that he had heads up docs to diagnose correctly as in young men it can be very dangerous.

Am sending up prayers for strength for you. If it is true things come in 3s, all should be looking up soon! Keep the faith!

Maggie1

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Betsy- you have so much to deal with right now. I am so sorry. This is when you can only take one day at a time and do the best you can . ((((((Hugs)))))) my prayers are with you and your family.

Melanie- I too have to redo an MRI in 6 mo. We will be fine. 😘

I had great news today. Dr. Massey has appealed to my insurance company because of the low reimbursement she has received from them. They called and interviewed me. It was so stressful. They called today and said that BCBS of Michigan has approved more reimbursement. Dr. Massey's office said this is the first time ever that this has happened in Michigan. We have slowly opened a door here in Michigan. Yay!!!!

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited November 2013

Yey Cherrie!

I received a denial of payment from my insurance. I already paid my portion (20%). I sure as heck hope NOLA wont be looking to me for the rest. Vickie had said In the beginning my insurance paid really well (which shocked me because it has a crap reputation). Now I wonder if she had someone else's file on her desk!

Sigh.

Pat

• Zenful
    edited November 2013

Cherrie, great news! You gals have me a little nervous about insurance denials. How long before you received your denial letter? I haven't seen anything come through my EOB yet, so getting nervous.

• Pattysmiles
    edited November 2013

my surgery was October 2, received my denial within 30 days.

I'm not even blinking yet, I'm dealing with other testing. Sooner or later someone will send me something saying approved, appeal, denied, you owe, whatever. Once my testing results are back maybe I will have a mind to look into this bill denial.

Pat

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

ultrasound done. Who knew that fat necrosis could be so painfu. Now I wait til December for Dr. M to take care of it. Too bad it is on my chest where the seat belt presses against it.

• Pattysmiles
    edited November 2013

sorry to hear MartyJ. Can you use a small pillow to alleviate the pain. My Girl Scouts had stuffed little 10x10 pieces of cloth to make 8x8 sized when sewn pillows (stuffed with polyfil). I used two after DIEP, one for belly,one for chest when using the seatbelt.

Pat

• Zenful
    edited November 2013

yay! Happy dance! I just got my drains out after 7 weeks and I'm free from all tethering! Now I finally feel like I am on the road to healing.

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Thanks ladies for your prayers... It is MUCH better than I had feared. Apparently, cardiomyopathy is a big umbrella... and my son does not fall under the typical definitions - which is good. Apparently, he has tachycardia induced myopathy, most likely caused by his ADD meds which he started in August. The doctor said he should lay low for a couple of weeks, no meds, activity etc and then they will re-test. He should have a full recovery. But OH BOY what a 13 hours I had worrying.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2013

Whew! What a relief, Betsy!

• Zenful
    edited November 2013

Great news Betsy. That 13 hours probably seemed like forever.