Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2013

At first it was swollen, but when I touch it, it feels a bit water bed like. I had a lymphatic massage last week hoping it would go away, but no. I have two more massages before surgery and the ultrasound... So by the time I get to Dr D I should know what's going on. If its a seroma, I will try an aspiration and compression. I can't help but think that sitting on the spin bike has created the issue. That is the only time I could feel my butt incision.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited November 2013

momof5 -- glad that Dr. S can work with you. That's a relief I am sure.

Russell -- I think if it was bad news they would have called you back in right now. No fun waiting I agree, but try not to let your mind go THERE you know?

When I went out for my first surgery my direct report was placed into my job to manage my team, and as it turned out I was out for 5 months when I thought I would be out for 2-3. When I returned to work they kept her in the role until I could return full time, so for 1 month. It was a little weird for me, but it was review time and I was sort of glad not to have to be responsible for this task -- no one likes writing reviews. The plan was for me to resume my role as manager on November 1 (tomorrow) when I return full time. So today my manager tells me that they want to keep my direct report as manager until after my second surgery which is January 22. Apparently it was a lot of work to get HR to move her into the role and give her a pay increase during this period, and they didn't want to have to do that again. I did not take this well at all.

I told him I wasn't happy with this and I wanted my job back, and I was only going to be out for 2 weeks. How was this different from taking a 2 week vacation and having someone cover me? He said that he and his boss agreed on this, and I said well you have the right to make that decision but I'm not happy about it. Then I stewed for a while and went to his boss to express my concern. I told him that I felt like I was being discriminated against because of my medical history and what "might" happen. Yes I did not handle it well. My director said that they have been very supportive of me through all of this, and I agreed that yes they had and I said that I felt sort of like a jerk right now.

They decided to go ahead and reinstate me since I did assure them that I was only planning on being out for 2 weeks, and by that point I was like, well it's OK if you want to do it your way. (A little nervous myself about the unknown, since now I'm committing to be well enough to work!)

What if it does take more than 2 weeks to recover from stage 2? I sent photos in and Dr. S said we probably do not need to revise my abdomen at all, but I have a little spot of necrosis and he said I might need a small flap to fix that. Well I don't think I would agree to another flap because I don't want scars on my butt -- I'm happy with how that looks and don't want a flat butt. Really I might rather live with this little hard spot than take another flap. So we are most likely just talking about fat grafting to plump my radiated breast up about a cup size to match the size of my other breast which is exactly the size I want, and moving my naval. I know there is no way to know what exactly will happen until I'm there in person.

Please tell me I'm likely to feel fine in 2 weeks or sooner even? I work in an office, so nothing strenuous. I know I might be returning to work with drains.

Marsha

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Marsha... My stage II revisions have been extensive since I had DIEP and GAP... So lots of lipo, scar revisions, breast revisions, butt lift etc etc and I was fine at two weeks. Maybe tired, but fine. My stage IIb was supposed to be a tweak but lasted 7 hours. I was out of work one week.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

5 weeks seems so far and just around the corner. Betsy thanks for reminding me to get the EKG and Chest out of the way now. I will wait to get my blood work til closer as I will be near the hospital then. Sure hope the little "thing" is a nothing, Betsy!

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited November 2013

momof5, I have Cigna insurance and they have paid good on all my surgeries. Although this next year they are changing up our plan, high deductibles and higher out of pocket.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited November 2013

Thanks Betsy...that helps a lot.

• Lulu2012
    Lulu2012 Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2013

Dear Russell1,

I am thinking of you and sending you good energies for your MRI.

I was also wondering if you or anyone else knows what the protocols are in terms of surveillance after bilateral reconstruction with flaps?

At the Centre in NOLA I seem to recall that the only thing they were suggesting was followups with the physician and then self monitoring, I mean manual breast examinations.

Was the MRI or ultrasound suggested to you as part of your routine and how often do you get those tests done?

Thank you kindly,

Lulu

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Lulu- I was told MRI's. No mammograms! I did have skin and nipple sparing BMX though.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited November 2013

lulu, I asked the last time I was there, which was in Sept., and they said no mammograms, they suggested mri's and also said they would leave it up to what my oncologist suggested having done as to do a MRI or not.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited November 2013

Marsha...sorry about the work situation. I think you will be able to be at work at 2 weeks. I do think you will be more tired than usual, so up your protein for sure!!! I hope you are right about MRI results:)

Betsy...I find that riding my stationary bike makes my behind sore too. Especially when I first get off, but then it's fine. It so sounds like you have a seroma. Is it on your hip bone by where the drains were? I hope you are doing well with all the support from family & friends...Hugs!!!!

Lulu...Thanks for your positive thoughts:) My onc wants me to have a breast MRI yearly. No mammos.

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Hi Melanie... Its on my backside, about 3 inches from the drain, and extends about 5 inches along scar line. And yes, I have lots of support.

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

oops.. that's probably too many inches

• Lulu2012
    Lulu2012 Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2013

Many thanks to Cherrie, Judy, and Russell1 for your replies. My doctors have confused me so much on the matter telling me that it is hard to image a reconstructed breast, but I completely agree that at least for reconstructed breasts mammos are definitely OUT. Continued blessings to all of you, Lulu.

• KaseyAnne
    KaseyAnne Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013

I don't post here too often....but read a lot.  ONE more week until my diep! We are driving to NOLA next weekend, testing monday and surgery tuesday! I am getting nervous now!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2013

KaseyAnne, I think we all get a little nervous beforehand. Some wise women on these threads say that you don't need to be brave, you just need to show up. That phrase really stuck with me and helped me understand that it's okay to be nervous, just turn yourself over to the experts when you get there and they will do their magic. They really are the best at what they do. We will be thinking of you and sending positive energy your way.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2013

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/07/opinion/la-oe-0407-silk-ring-theory-20130407

A friend of mine posted this and it reminded me of some of the past comments we have heard. Makes sense to me!

• MartyJ
    edited November 2013

Wow, Jane, that article is fantastic. Thank you so much!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2013

KaseyAnne --

I will have my surgery on the 13th! Perhaps we can link up! Heading to NOLA tomorrow for a week of fun & games prior to this last surgery. I will look for you. You ARE in the best of hands!

Maggie1

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Happy, happy Monday! I am already looking forward to the weekend Happy

I heard from Liz in Dr. S's office. I will find out today when I will have surgery.

Judy_63 - we just changed to CIGNA this past January with one of those high deductible plans. Luckily they allow us to set up an HSA (in addition to FSA account) and DH's company contributes some $$ to it as well. I met my deductible for the family by February of this year. I guess I will be meeting it again for 2014.

KaseyAnne - best of luck!!!!

Russell1 - thinking of you. Hoping you get your MRI results today.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2013

Jane, thank you! That will be useful for many situations in life. I think I will share it with my kids, too. I remember my stepdaughter complaining to me how bad things were going for her after learning of my BC diagnosis because her mother had also recently received a medical diagnosis. I was speechless. Now it makes sense...she should have dumped OUT not IN.

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Jane123 - good article. I remember seeing it before, but forgot about it. In addition to dumping OUT, not IN, I personally would like to remind people to not offer to "help" if they have no intention of doing so.

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

Kaseyanne...Thinking of you! Hugs!

Momof5...Yay!!!! Getting closer:)

I'm going to read that article now.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

KaseyAnne, we are all thinking of you. It is so normal to be nervous. Hope you can meet Maggie 1. I met her there before my surgery last year. 😄

Melanie- Have you found anything out yet?

Mom- hope you get that date real soon.

• KaseyAnne
    KaseyAnne Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013

I think what I am most nervous/anxious about is the iv!  My arms are off limits.  Nurses have tried to access my feet before and that hurts! While I do have a power port, I assume they can not use that since it is in the area they will be working on?

Maggie--i would love to meet up with you! Are you staying at the hope lodge?

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

So I had my ultrasound... It is indeed fluid filled.... And runs all along the incision on the left butt. So aspiration is next unless Dr D just wants to work on it during surgery... I'll keep you posted.

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

Sorry to hear this Betsy. Wonder why it's happening.

Got my results and am numb. Right breast- 8mm focus of abnormal enhancement in the upper outer aspect near the axillary tail. ultrasound evaluation for potential ultrasound guided biopsy is recommended.

I'm fighting the tears as I type this bullsh$$

Left breast 1.3

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2013

(( ((Russel)))) I am hugging you as tight as I can! I am so sorry.....this was not what you were expecting I know. We are all here for you. I am sure that with our history the docs like to err on the side of caution. Please keep us posted as to what you find out.

Betsy....also big hugs for you. A seroma this far out? How bizarre indeed. Dr M had kept me in daily compression since March until she gets a chance to work on my backside.. I think that is the plan for Dec's surgery.. I hope that they can get this taken care of soon for you.

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    edited November 2013

Melanie - big, big hugs! I am so very sorry to hear this.

Betsy - you are so close to your last meet-up with Dr. D. I hope this can wait.

I wrote to Becky (& Dr. M) today as a bruise has developed on the upper pole of the left breast (chest). It is a dark shadow, but is very painful and there is a lump under it. There is also a dark area in the center of the breast (about 2" dia) that has been there since 2b. I refuse to panic - can it come back after 28 years? It has to be necrosis.

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

thanks Mags.. They already called and scheduled ultrasound for tomorrow at 2. I want to sleep until it's over .

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

MartyJ..can it be a hematoma? I had one after Masectomy and it went away on its own. Hope it's nothing serious along with mine!