Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited October 2013

momof5kids, Dr S was my primary surgeon and I was very happy with his bedside manner and results. I'll be returning for stage 2 in January. I don't know anything about the implants. I hate being turned away by a doctor, it's not what you expect, but you really need to respect when a doctor does not think they can give you the result you deserve.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2013

Momof5kids - I started my journey to NOLA like you with a phone consult with Dr. M. I was also sure that I wanted a female surgeon. Because of other medical issues that I have, she recommended that Dr. S be my surgeon. I was so incredibly impressed that a surgeon would pass a case to a colleague that she felt had the experience necessary for a case. I scheduled a consult in New Orleans with Dr. S. He was the 4th PS that my husband & I had met with. Ten minutes into the consult, my husband & I knew he was the one! Dr. S is an incredibly skilled surgeon. I think that he & Dr. D have completed more flap surgeries than all but the founder of breast flaps. Many women meet the docs in NOLA at their pre-op the day before surgery. It's a leap of faith but these docs listen to you!

There is a nurse at NOLA who had Dr. S as her surgeon. She had a flap with an implant. She actually had me feel it. It felt like breast to me! And her breast looked beautiful.

Don't give up yet!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2013

mom... Dr S was my assisting surgeon, and we have met as well.. He is a great surgeon. You can't go wrong.

About implants, initially Dr D (my surgeon) offered a small implant in addition to the flap, but in the end I used two flaps (GAP and DIEP)... and then later tdap flap. But if Dr D told me that I would need a small implant to make things perfect, I would trust their opinion. The implant that they would use would be super small, not like the implants you have now. and they would be sandwiched between the muscle and flap, so your breast would look and feel natural as if the implant isn't there. I would ask them (Dr S) when they call how often if ever does the implant need replacing? And how do they monitor for leakage? I believe Dr D told me that in this case replacement and problems may not be necessary... Not sure if he meant ever??

Also soccermom4force has a small implant... PM her.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

momof5, I recall reading on the "Ask the Doctor " forum that having an implant under your muscle will eventually thin out the chest muscle, causing less projection than desired when it is replaced by a DIEP flap. This is probably why she was suggesting you would need a small implant with the flap. The NOLA surgeons really are the best, and most likely have encountered your situation many times. You will be very happy with Dr. S, and the Center is very responsive, so you should hear back from them soon.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited October 2013

momof5...I was thinking of placing an implant for more projection. I didn't but once you have the flap in place it's a much better scenario with the implants. It will look more like an augmentation because there is fat and tissue in there. However you will need to replace implants every ten years or so . As far as Dr. Sullivan goes...my hubby and I loved him. He makes you feel so comfortable. Trust me you can't go wrong!! Don't give up. Go to the ask the dr. Above and click on the link and you can look at my question about implants and flaps .

• Lulu2012
    Lulu2012 Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2013

Hello Russell1

Can't locate your question to Dr D about implants and flap.

Do you remember when you asked him the question?

Thank you,

Lulu

• Lulu2012
    Lulu2012 Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2013

Found it! thank you for sharing.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited October 2013

your welcome lulu:)

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited October 2013

mom - I'm so sorry your talk didn't go as planned. I had Dr Sullivan and I have no regrets. He is an expert and I trust his judgment explicitly. If that's who Dr M says is the best for you then you have to know that she means it as she wants the best for each of us.

Barb... I'm just guessing the lump I'm feeling is fat necrosis. It is right where I had some fat injected in stage 2. I have a lump in my rear that is new, too. It is a couple inches below the end of my diep incision. I will mention them to my oncologist when I see her in November.

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Thank you once again for all the great feedback. I would think if the implant is over the muscle, that alone will alleviate a great deal of the discomfort I have now; although I don't relish the possibility of having to replace them every 10 years or so (and I am thinking I will have to continue to see the same team to replace them as I would be afraid of another surgeon messing up their work). It seems that this is not done very often. I DO like the projection/volume I have now...I just don't like how wide the base of the implant is and how it feels. So, I guess if they can combine the best of both worlds, I would be happy.

Secretly, I am really worried that Dr. Sullivan's office is going to call and say "oh sorry, can't help you". I mean, I really didn't expect to hear the "sorry" from the teaching hospital up here, and then to hear it from Dr. M. I will get over my surgeon being a male. I mean, most of my OB/GYNs have been men, my BS was a male...but I just had this thing in my head that a woman would understand this reconstruction thing better.

Does Dr. S do phone consults like Dr. M? Or will he just look over what I had sent to Dr M and then convey his message through his office?

So, I guess I will try really hard to wait patiently for his office to call this week.

Totally OT...is was a bit cooler here this weekend, and the air smelled different...it had that "winter is coming" smell (plus the smell of wood burning...LOVE IT) :) I so want some snow this winter. I am a transplanted NYer and the lack of snow in the DC area these past few years has been killing me :) I think I am the only one in my office that prays for snow days!

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2013

momof5kids.

I love the snow too!

I had dr. s. very nice and personable and gets it.

When the NOLA people call you, if you feel the need to speak with him now let them know that...I don't know if he typically does phone, but I imagine he would if you request. Good luck!

Pat

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Mom - you may not have to replace the implants every 10 years. Since it is above the muscle it won't have the same stresses as under. Mine were under and when I flexed my pecs, I flexed my implant. Really weird. Today's implants are designed to last much longer.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Hey Pat....finally, a fellow snow lover! When I mention that four letter word around here, everyone says "noooooooo" LOL.

I am happy to hear you like Dr. S as well. I will see how it goes when I speak to the folks in his office - if they are as great as Becky in Dr. M's office, I should be fine. All the ladies here, with their feedback and votes of confidence, have me feeling ok about this. And, as many have said, I am sure I can't go wrong with any of the doctors in NOLA.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Hi MartyJ - Never thought about that. I know that flexing all too well...gosh I hate it LOL. But, what you said makes lots of sense. I know the cohesive is relatively new. I have the Natrelle 410s currently, so it will be interesting to see how long they really last. I have heard of women going 20 years (with the old ones) with no issue. I guess it is just something to be aware of. And, I would imagine I would be getting MRIs regardless of the implants, since it is the only real way to screen reconstructed breasts.

• bdavis
    edited October 2013

mom... As Marty said you probably won't need to replace every ten years, or ever. Dr D implied to me that its like an augmentation, not recon... The implant (and it would be small) is all nestled amongst the fat, all protected.

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

Well, Thursday will mark six weeks from my Stage 1 surgery, and I still have two drains! I have tried to be very patient, but I have to admit that I am now more than annoyed with these tubes coming out of my hips. I could hardly feel my other drains come out, but I'm afraid with these being in so long that my skin is healing around them. Amy seemed to think they would come out this week. Sure hope so, as I was planning on returning to work next week. That's a whole other issue, as I'm trying to figure out how to fit this compression girdle under my clothes. Did anyone switch to Spanx? If so, what style? I want to make sure I have enough support for the swelly belly.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Zenful - so sorry about those hip drains. Good news is that your skin won't heal around them and they will slip out easily. I didn't switch to spanx, but ordered a Design Veronique (the dom) without the zippers. Not fun to wriggle into, but sure was supportive and slimming. Several of the girls have ordered from Marena, which I also did, but didn't really like.

• bdavis
    edited October 2013

Zenful... be patient with the drains... I had my hip drains for 8.5 weeks... UGH.

And I was one who switched to Marena after stage II (I stayed with the regular compression after stage I for a week post drains). I found the Marena very comfortable. I tried switching to Flexees, but found that they rolled and were uncomfortable.

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

Thanks Marty and BDavis. I will check out both suggestions. B, 8 1/2 weeks? Please, no...I'm going to start meditating on this. Must.....lose......drains.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2013

zen...so sorry..like Betsy I also had hip drain for a long time (8 weeks +). I am also one who first go round the hip drain got taken out a wee bit premature and developed a large seroma that then developed into a pseuso bursa that then could only be fixed surgically-- although it really goes back to the complication which led to me being out of compression initially after surgery but that is a long story :) Please try to be patient. I asked Dr M around the 6 wk point about using my emla cream I had leftover from the chemo and it really helped as it numbs the skin. That and a little ibuphrphen when it got really bad. I also have been on Ambien to sleep as I still cannot sleep on my side just flat on my back since the gap surgery in March and my natural desire is no be on my side to sleep but my Gap scar says NOOOOOO, and my left side is out the the question as it is my LE side. MEH... Compression really seemed to be the key to getting the fluid down and keepiing it away once the drain was pulled. Try some rolled up or folded washclothes under the compression and around the drain holes to ease the fluid output and also make you more comfortable. You will only have them at most a couple of weeks so hang in there!!!

Maggie

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

those darn drains are our worst enemy and our best friends! Be patient it won't be that long now. We will all do the freedom dance when it happens. Hang in there sister.

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

Maggie, I will take your advice. I'm sorry you had such a rough time of it.

Cherrie, I am going to start practicing my dance now!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2013

That's the spirit, Zenful! I had to have 4 needle aspirations after one of my hip drains failed, and I was an 8.5-weeker too. That drain's just fine while it's still time. But there is NOTHING like getting those suckers out and putting on a slim-fitting skirt and a cute top! Soon!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2013

A week from today, I will be on a flight to NOLA ... have to say that though this is the "last hurrah", I seem to be even more anxious that with any of the previous three. This is totally tweaking, and I should be just fine, I know I am in the best hands, but stomach in knots anyway.Must be the drain talk! LOL! I had my drains after Stage 1 for more than 8 weeks, too! Between those and the "dom" ... well, good thing Halloween is here!!

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Maggie - maybe the nerves are because this is the "last"? I am 5 weeks out from my "last" and find myself thinking all sorts of odd things. What if it is not finished? What if not my level of "perfect"? What if, what if, what if? Separation anxiety? I am ready to be done with surgery, but I couldn't even settle on a date for surgery. Kept offering to change if someone else really needed early December, later in the month would be fine with me. Really strange, though I am looking forward to swimsuits next summer.

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

Celtic, that's funny that you mention Halloween. When I was being discharged, I slipped in a pair of black and white striped panties over my compression garment, and Yvette said she thought it would make a great Halloween costume. Beetlejuice immediately came to mind.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2013

What a hoot, Zen -- Beetlejuice!! ROTHLMAO!!!

• bdavis
    edited October 2013

With my approaching last hurrah, tweak, I also feel apprehensive... What if perfect isn't perfect? What if I feel I need another last hurrah? How many last hurrah's can a girl have? I am aiming for this to be it... then tattoos. Maggie and I will be passing ships. As she leaves, I arrive. Sorry Maggie. Need to go to work or I'd come earlier. But we'll have that weekend in Upstate NY at some point to celebrate!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2013

Celtic - I'm flying into NOLA a week from today too. Did you date get moved back? I'm scheduled for the 7th for final tweaks too. If you're at the Center on the 7th or 8th come say hi. I've been sad that there's no one else on the list for those dates!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2013

Betsy, I bet you will feel "done". :)

Zen, I had a friend who had her hip drains for 9+ weeks. They finally told her to compress the heck out of herself (she wore really tight compression garments) and she felt that was what finally did the trick in the end.