Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

springtime, I'm wondering if that's my problem. My compression garments seem to feel a little looser than they used to. It's definitely not compressing much in the butt area where my drains originate. I'm going to head to the store tomorrow to see if I can find something more compressing. However, I think it will be a challenge because my waist is not proportionate to my hips. I always had narrow hips, but now I have narrow hips with a flat butt! Could make the waistline uncomfortable, but I am willing to give it a try.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Zenful - don't buy something new, just use clean washcloths to pad under the dom. Like Maggie said, tuck them around the drains and across the suture lines. They will add the needed compression and save $$.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited October 2013

has anyone had UMR insurance that was covered by NOLA?

Please let me know

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

thanks, Marty (and Maggie). I guess I missed that concept the first time around. I will give that a try.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2013

Toomuch --

Will try to put a visit to the Center on the timeline for the 7th or 8th! Which day is the surgery? Will just be taking some time to enjoy and bid adieu to NOLA as I am not scheduled till the 13th. Lemme know. I will PM my cell number to you!! Staying at a condo on Decatur Street.

Maggie1

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2013

I have a question for the DIEP girls. I realized after seeing some DIEP pics on the picture forum that the post-DIEP drains are in the crotch area. Good heavens! I have a large numb swath on my hips from the SGAP. Do you have a lot of numbness down there, and I am really curious about "down there." Does anyone have numbness that affects you sexually? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it here. Thanks!

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited October 2013

lastar-it's a weird numbness, well at least for me. The only spot that's still really numb is right underneath the new belly button on that section of the the scar. Hope that makes sense, and its not really totally numb it's like when your foot falls a sleep and you get that heavy numby feeling minus the pins and needles. And there's no numbness at all in the nether region so for me that's not a problem sexually.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

LA - not all DIEP drains are in the crotch. Dr M put mine at the hip ends of the ab incision. I didn't know the NOLA docs did the crotch drains. Hmmm.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2013

Dr. M doesn't like doing the crotch drains. The other docs do it, she doesn't.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2013

No crotch drains for me either. I had two sets of drains on each hip, one for the DIEP, one for hip flaps. No numbness you know where. I will be one year post op stage 2 next month and my numbness has really decreased, just a bit below the scar on both hips and below my new belly button. The feeling I have right around my scars is not totally normal feeling, though - but at least I can now tell if my pants are up or down! That was strange after surgery to have to LOOK to see if my pants were in the right place!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2013

Zenful... In the end when I was like 3 days from pulling drains, I wore the DOM, and put pads in, AND wore a flexee over the DOM... super compressed. It helped a lot

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

thanks ladies! I already notice a difference. But now I am wondering what happens when I get the drains pulled because the über compression has woked, and then I go back to work, not over-compressing? Will the fluid build back up?

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2013

you need to keep it compressed a little while after the drains are gone. I would talk to your doc about it. It may only need a few days or a couple of weeks to get you into the clear..everyone is different. In my case I am still in compression and my gap was in March with a pseudo bursa fixed in May. Dr M does not trust my body and so we just keep it compressed til she can put some of the stuffing back into that side :)

Maggie

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

Dr. D. Wants me to continue with compression at least one week after the drains come out, but I will probably continue beyond that. My concern is whether normal compression will keep the fluid down if it takes "over compression" to reduce the fluid enough to get to a point where I can remove the drains? I am concerned that the fluid will build back up after I pull the drains, regardless of remaining in compression. I guess I am wondering if I am being silly thinking I can rush this.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Zenful - you're not being silly, just hopeful. The drains are a PITA wherever they are placed and we do want to get them out. An amazing feeling of freedom. But, please don't rush it. I waited a few days after my drains got to the appropriate "level" before I asked to remove them. Just to be sure.

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

I kept it stuffed for a week after the drain was out. I sent a pic to Dr M with a caption "does this compression make my butt look big?"

Mags

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

Maggie, too funny! Actually, since I lost most of my rear, I kinda like the way it looks with the extra padding!

Marty, I have been so patient thus far, but I have to admit that this is the REAL test of patience. I know it's for my own good...

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Hi ladies...all this talk about drains is making me nervous LOL. I would not care so much (well, I would care because I know how annoying they are) if I were home, but I really don't want to be going into the office with those things. I had a FTT and muscle repair several years ago, and was lucky to lose the drains prior to going back to work (two weeks post op) and I think for my BMX I had drains for three weeks...I hope my butt does not collect more fluid then the rest of me Winking

Well, Dr. Sullivan's office called me on Tuesday, just to get a bit more information. Then yesterday I got a call from Liz. She told me that Dr. M had spoken to Dr. S, and that I AM a candidate for the hip flap (she said they stopped doing true sGaps in 2008), but in order to get the projection that I have he would need to use an implant. Unfortunately, the implant does indeed go UNDER the muscle again. However, she said it would be a least a 1/2 of the size of my current implant, and that they don't have the same complaints with the smaller sizes plus a flap as I have now, with the larger implant only. So, I am waiting for a call today from the lady that handles the insurance. All the doctors, as well as the hospital, are in-network on my insurance plan, so hopefully there are no surprises when they call. Once the insurance is verified, it looks like I will be scheduling for late January/early February.

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

momof5 - that is great news! As many have stated, if anyone can make you whole, the NOLA docs can. Each of us are a little different so hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones and lose your drains sooner. I have my Stage 2 scheduled for February 6. If we happen to be there at the same time, I would love to meet you.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Hi Zenful! I will definitely share my date when I know it. I would love to meet you as well!!!

I just got off the phone with the lady who does the insurance and, as I thought (hoped), all the doctors and the hospital are in-network. I just have my deductible to contend with, but she said the hospital will usually work out a payment plan. Now I am just waiting to hear from Liz to schedule a date. I am very nervous and excited. But, when I woke up on my stomach this morning, and felt like I was lying on two rocks, I knew this was the right thing to do.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2013

congrats momof5! You're making a good choice, most doctors wouldn't be as motivated to be creative as these docs in coming up with a solution for you. They probably want 100% flap for you as much as you do, but they also want you to be happy with how you look. I'm sure they'll do right by you. Being in-network is also great news! I'm sure many of us are jealous of you on that front.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Yes, apparently I have one of the few insurance companies that the doctors are in-network with. My DHs company changed to CIGNA this past January, after years with another company, so I just lucked out I guess.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited October 2013

Yay Momof5!!!! We are all happy for you!

I am waiting for my results from MRI that I had on Thursday of last week. I'm afraid to call. I'm hoping that no news is good news!

Mags..thanks for the laugh about the butt!! :)

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Russell1 - waiting is the worst. Fingers (and toes) crossed that you have good news.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

Newbies, I have 3 sleeveless, button down blouses that I would love to give to someone. I also have a brand new compression bra that has never been out of the package. (L) Just PM me with address and I will get them to you.

Maggie- loved you comment to Dr. M. I am sure she got a chuckle out of that.

Mom- I am so happy for you. You will love Dr. S too. I am soooo jealous you are in network. My insurance company has paid my doctor so little. Dr. M is appealing. So far no good. I had BCBS of Michigan. (Retired teacher)

Zenful- Drains are a PITA for sure. It won't be long. I also stuffed washcloths in my compression. You are doing great.

Melanie- call for those results. They have them by now. You shouldn't have to wait. Unfair!!!!!! I think many of us have been through the US/MRI after DIEP. We have all been fine. You will too dammit! Lol

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2013

Melanie, What Cherrie said!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2013

So surgery is three weeks from today... I lost track of time, and when NOLA called yesterday to confirm stuff, they asked if I had my pre-op tests done yet. Oops. But I got in my EKG and Chest xray today. Will get blood work at my oncologist on Nov 12. In addition, I have this perhaps seroma on my left hip right at the scar. So I am going for an ultrasound on MOnday to see if its fluid or what. Seems to have come out of nowhere. It was flat and fine until about a month ago. Seems odd that these many months after surgery I would develop a seroma. I guess the good news is that I will be under Dr D's care in three weeks. So I guess I hope its seroma?? Not sure what else it could be. Mags... what is a bursa?

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

Bdavis, you must be excited. It will be here before you know it. Gosh, I agree with you, I wouldn't expect to see a seroma so many months out from surgery. Is it squishy or hard?

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

A pseudo bursa forms when you have a seroma sometimes.  Your body recognizes the fluid and creates a sac encasing the seroma...the bursa.  It can only be repaired surgically.  Dr M fixed mine when I went in may for the lymph transfer.  I hope it is nothing Betsy and just an irritation or something Dr D can just take care of for you...that reminds me I need to make an appt for my tests in the next week..5 wks out for me

Mags

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

wow! Time flies. Hopefully this is it Betsy. I am sure Dr. D will take care of whatever you have. It is strange that something could happen this late out.

5 weeks for Maggie and Marty. GHEEZ!!

Thinking of all of you!