Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited November 2013

I sure hope this brightens everyone day!!!Nerdy

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2013

hi ladies! Met up with Amy this afternoon at SCSH. She's doing great and was ready to leave the hospital after a somewhat bumpy start to the day! Hope we will have time for a coffee before she leaves Tues.

@ Betsy - that is terrific news and I hope brings you a little peace of mind at this difficult time. Prayers answered once again!

Maggie1

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2013

Betsy your post makes me happy...such great news!

Maggie-2

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited November 2013

Haven't been around for a while so catching up was a little like riding a roller coaster. Scary news for a few of you that made my heart drop & then good news that made me smile. Hoping all seemingly bad news continues to be followed quickly by good!

I think of you brave women nearly every day. Thanks for being there & inspiring me even if you don't know it.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited November 2013

Betsy, sorry you've had such a rough time lately, I'm glad to hear you son's condition sounds like it may have an easy cure.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Betsy- great news!

Zenful- FREEDOM DANCE!!!!! What a great feeling that is. You hung in there girl. Way to go.

The appeal to my insurance company was for my DIEP. That has been almost a year ago! I have had 3 touch ups since then. Haha! I don't believe NOLA will be asking for more. You have met what they asked. I know my doc does not balance the bill. I refuse to waste time worrying about it. The girls before me always said that it will work out. I choose to believe that.

Marty- hey DIEP sister.....one year today for you.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

you bet, Cherrie. Happy Boobday. First birthday for the girls.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2013

Three years ago today (Nov 9), I had a mammogram/ultrasound when the radiologist told me my lump that I felt was concerning.... And my life changed forever.

And thank you ladies for your support, again.

• mags20487
    edited November 2013

congrats on 3 yrs out ....bet you remember it like it was yesterday Betsy.

Marty....hooray on 1 year out!. Mine are Irish Twins :)

3 weeks to Charleston and another round of magic from Dr M. She plans to start on the gap donor site...anyone know what that might entail? Since it is only on one side I am not sure what will happen.

Maggie-2

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2013

Hi all,

I want to commet on the posts about tattoo pigments and tattoo dyes...

The contents of most tattoo pigments, while not always made available for the reading or wondering public, are pretty simple. Most are (but not limited to) metal oxides, glycerin, propylene glycol, alcohol, which hazel, water and/or others. Vegetable dyes used for tattooing are not all that common but are less safe and can cause more reactions and problems then traditional pigments. In the past mercury and lead were used in tattoo inks but are no longer used for the obvious reasons.

There is a pathologist in Georgia... Dr. Kris Sperry, who has done extensive biopsies of lymph nodes and liver tissue of heavily tattooed people postmortem. He has found pigments particles in these tissues but no adverse reactions or tissue changes because of it. These individuals were HEAVILY tattooed and in some cases completely covered with tattoo ink. So while the ingredients of tattoo ink is not organic or vegan it is for the most part harmless to the wearer. There are a few people that have reactions to inks... mostly red and brown. This reaction usually causes itching and longer healing time ( 2-3 weeks as apposed to 4-5 days) but no long term problems. The act of tattooing or over tattooing has a far greater risk of problems to the skin of reconstructed breasts than the ink. Organic or vegetable dyes are not safer or better and should be avoided.

From what I have seen and experienced with the women I have tattooed ... the psychological impact of having nipple tattoos outweighs the risks of damage to the body of the wearer. This is simply what I have seen and everyone who is considering this procedure needs to think about what is best for them individually because the tattoos, for the most part, are permanent. When done correctly the health risks of tattooing are very low, far lower than almost all other procedures a BC patient will go through.

I hope this helps in some way... if you would like any more info please PM me and I will try to help. THX Vinnie

• MartyJ
    edited November 2013

Wow, Vinnie, thank you so much. Great analysis. Can't wait to see you next year.

• drdolittle
    drdolittle Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2013

Sitting in the airport in Tampa on my layover to Nola - oh I wish the time would just go faster. Betsy- congratulations on the three year mark but I know those anniversaries are overwhelming..... How much all of our lives have changed. And mr vinnie thanks for all the info - I will be there one day

• drdolittle
    drdolittle Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2013

Oh and cherrie - I'm celebrating your anniversary with my own surgery lol - happy anniversary !!! :)

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited November 2013

3 days post stage 2b, just wanted to check in. It was so nice to meet Maggie. She came to see my a SCSH and it was really nice to sit and chat. I had more blue ink at this stage then at my Stage 2. Dr. S validated my concerns about symmetry, saying that one side was 30% smaller then the other. So, had leg lipo to harvest the fat for my breast. But he also thought that I had too big a concavity above my hip flap scar and suggested he lift it again. I wasn't expecting to have my incisions opened and wasn't prepared to not be able to stand up straight. I'm pulled really tight! I have to admit that even with the swelling, I can tell the contour is better. In another week, I'll be happy that I had it done. Now I'm spending time with old friends, enjoying this city which has really given me back my life. I can't  say enough good things about the center and the care I received again.

Betsy - you've been on a rollarcoaster lately. I'm glad that there seems to be a simple fix to your son's heart issues. I hope that being in New Orleans brings you a sense of peace. You'll be traveling into town the same day I travel out. I'm sorry we miss each other this time.

Maggie - Let us know what Dr. M does to create symmetry after a single hip flap. I'm sure that you'll be happy with the results!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited November 2013

so relieved for you Betsy!!!!!!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2013

Ha Amy... I am missing both you and Maggie. You are both leaving the day I arrive. Bummer. Will anyone be in NOLA between Nov 19-26th?

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited November 2013

Hi Vinnie- What is the brand of ink that you use?

What are the consequences of using vegan ink?

Thanks

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited November 2013

ok my experienced ladies of DIEP Reconstruction I have a question. Let me first start by explaining what happened, yesterday in the kitchen cooking spilled grease on the floor, squatted down to wipe it up, when I went to get up I had what felt like a charlie horse spasm in of all places my stomach, right at the middle of the scar. I literally couldn't stand straight, I had to bend back down and very slowly work myself back up in a standing position. Since then I've had the tender, weak feeling just like you would have after a charlie horse. Have any of you had anything like this? I'm almost 2 years out from my stage II. Just seems weird, but then again this is me and weirdness is my best friend!!

• KaseyAnne
    KaseyAnne Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013

In nola now. ...cant say I kove the town lol, too many people for me haha. But had preop appts today and love the hospital and nurses! Surgery at 7am tomorrow! 

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2013

Betsy, so glad your son's issue is minor. It's so much harder to watch our kiddos go through something than to go throught it ourselves. When my daughter was being monitored for a heart condition, I would have given ANYTHING to switch places with her. Broke my heart to watch her suffer.

Thanks for that information Vinnie! I can't wait for my tattoos! Hopefully next Spring!

Good Luck tomorrow Kasey!

My CT scan is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it's just a massive hematoma that will resolve on its own over time.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2013

Thinking of you, Maggie, Kasey and Audrella and sending you positive energy and hugs!

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

DITTO!!!! Keep us posted.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2013

kasey,

Have my pre-op tomorrow afternoon late. Will check in the hospital to see how you are doing before I head out for my final night before surgery. I have my surgery on Wed morning, tats and all!

Amy, you sound great! Hope things are easing up. Still planning on a flight out tomorrow?

Betsy, glad things are looking up! Really sorry I will miss you this trip.

Trying to get my head ready for the last surgery. Will be very curious as to what Dr. D. has in mind. Hoping for no drains like Amy (too much)! Will report in when I can ...

Maggie1

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

One year ago today I was in surgery having my mastectomy and DIEP surgery. I bought my first "real" bras, without underwire as I still want to be careful. Happy Birthday girls.

You will all get there at some point. It seems like time is dragging when healing, but it does move on and so do you. Have patience and faith that you will!

I have a great outcome and am so thankful for my skilled surgeon, whom I adore, and most of all all the girls on the DIEP 13 and NOLA thread. I could not have done this without you. THANK YOU!

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited November 2013

Happy "boobyversary"!

I have a lousy memory when it comes to dates. However, I think I just might remember my DIEP anniversary in years to come.

Congrats Cherrie!

Pat

• mags20487
    edited November 2013

Cherrie....congrats on the twins b-day!! Time sure flies

woke up today and cannot move my LE arm at th elbow...crap and crap. No redness so do not think it is cellutlis....fingers crossed or sugery will be a no go for Dec 4th...bleh

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    edited November 2013

Cherrie - Happy Boobday to you, Happy Boobday to you (twice for twinsWinking)

Maggie - darn! Keep us posted. Fingers crossed for you!

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Cherrie - congrats on your boobday!!!! 

Maggie - I am so sorry :(

To the rest of you ladies, happy  Tuesday!  I am trying to catch up on the boards since I was busy cleaning out the garage, cooking, and shopping (yay to shopping) this weekend.  I love long weekends, thought they never seem to be long enough :)

I finally heard back from Liz in Dr.S's office...my official date for surgery is 2/5.  I am excited, and nervous.  I am hoping that I can get into Hope Lodge.  Would save us some $$$. 

For those that have Dr. S, do you guys pull the drains yourself once the cc's are low enough? And traveling by plane with those nasty things....did you have any issues or do they supply a note for the airport security?

Zenful - it looks like you will be in NOLA on the 6th.  Maybe we can meet up :)

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited November 2013

momof5kids...yeah, you got your date!

Dr.S pulled 3 of my drains at my 1 week post op. I had stayed there the extra week just for the follow up visit as recommended. When it came time for hip drain to be pulled I asked that he let hubby do it as he would be the one pulling it at home. Dr. S obliged happily. It was NOT painful at all, it was easy for hubby to do. They sent me home with sterile tools for when the big day would happen at home. (Be sure to put that scissor package into checked luggage, don't know if you can bring on carry on.)

I don't know who is in charge of lodging at this time (Katie used to do it and changed jobs) ...they should have an answer for you within the week, if not call and ask who is in charge of lodging and speak to them. It is pretty much a shoe in you will get hope lodge. Also, ask the person setting up the lodging to request the hospital bed...BUT when you do check in there ASK AGAIN for the hospital bed room. Turns out we were not scheduled for hospital bed room, but when I asked it was available, so we were changed into it! VERY HELPFUL for after surgery.

Very excited for you. Plenty of time to get yourself organized and the holidays are all yours.

Pat

• MartyJ
    edited November 2013

mom congrats on your date. Although they will give you papers about the drains, TSA may insist on swabbing them or your hands. Don't be offended by this, it is easy for the bad guys to forge the document and fill fake drain bulbs with dangerous materials.