Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited November 2013

Betsy...that's what I appreciate about Dr. Sullivan too. They know what they can fix and no ego gets in the way!!!

I booked my hotel at the JW Marriott and got 129 a night! Yay!!!! Contracted rate was 179. I had to pay up front with no cancellation or changes allowed. Please pray that all goes as planned!!! Thanks so much!!!! Went online to get this rate. I have a gift card for the hotel and plan to use if for dinner, massage...fun...hehehe

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2013

Ok Ladies,

As I am planning for my DIEP Stage I surgery on the 17th I have a few questions. I am sure more will follow as it gets closer:

1. Dr. Trahan told me I would wear compression garments for 2 weeks. I was shocked (and happy) about this. Is this the norm for Stage I?

2. I know I will be leaving the hospital with 2 compression garments and 2 bras. Should I buy any more, different, etc. I have seen a lot of mentions on here about Marena. Are they generally more comfortable then the ones the hospital provides?

3. I will be re-couping at my parent's house in NOLA - so have my old room from childhood back. Bed is good, bought the wedge, have many pillows, tv, shower chair, WIFI. Any other "things" I can do to prepare for now?

4. My daughter-in-law to be is an RN and it scheduled to stay with me the first night in the hospital and the next day. My 22 year old daughter, 2 sisters, and parents will then pick-up the slack. I am sending my husband and sons home (hunting season) and they will come back to NOLA when I am out and through Christmas. I plan on going back home (Central Louisiana-3 hour ride) after Christmas. Does this sound practical? Any input is welcomed!

5. We have a neice getting married exactly 1 month later, Jan 18th. Any chance I'll be able to go and "sway" to the music for a little while?

6. Dr. Trahan said I will most likely leave the hospital with the 2 hip drains and then within 2 weeks lose them. Has this been the "norm", considering (and praying) that there are no complicaitons?

This is all I can think of for right now. I am a planner and take great comfort in getting all of my "ducks in a row"!

Hope you all have a great day!!!!!!

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

Just read an article on Breastcancer.org about chances of getting lymphadema with your nodes taken and also getting radiation. You all should read this. http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20131107-2

Very interesting and so glad this may save women from getting lympahdema.

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

Wow Vwborelon! You have more than got it covered! Love it! The only thing I can say is that the drain time is different for everyone. You should be fine with the car ride and going to the wedding. It also depends on how good of shape you are in now. We all heal in our own time. I didn't buy any other garments. I only wore compression for 2 weeks as well. I believe Dr. M has a recommened longer time to wear them. I had Dr. Sullivan and Trahan. You are going to be just fine!!!! Wishing you the very best outcome!!!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Vwbordelon-

Each doc is different. My compression was on for 8 weeks. My hip drains were in for 4 weeks, but this is different for everyone too. I didn't buy any other compression for stage one. What they give you will do just fine. You can make that drive, but you need to get out each hour and walk around a bit. They will give you compression socks for the trip.

You should be able to make the wedding and sway a bit, but be careful.

You will do great.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2013

I went to a wedding about a month after my 2nd stage 1 (DIEP). It was mostly okay, but I got tired very fast and felt bloated after sitting all evening. You'll probably be okay but I would plan on not making it a late night.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

And don't wear a skirt with a waist unless it is elastic. 1 month after DIEP I went to a holiday party. After about 90 minutes my waist had bloated 2 inches and I couldn't bare the tightness of the waist though it was loose when I put the skirt on.

Betsy - thinking of you this week. Hooray for finales!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2013

Thanks Marty!!

VW: Here is my response:

1. Dr. Trahan told me I would wear compression garments for 2 weeks. I was shocked (and happy) about this. Is this the norm for Stage I? Compression for GAP flaps and drain time is much longer, so if you read about 8 week drains, this doesn't apply to DIEP flap gals. Compression is usually for the duration of the drains plus a week... but Dr Trahan may have his own schedule.... I know Dr M wants compression for months. I have Dr D.

2. I know I will be leaving the hospital with 2 compression garments and 2 bras. Should I buy any more, different, etc. I have seen a lot of mentions on here about Marena. Are they generally more comfortable then the ones the hospital provides? No need to buy anything else at this point. For your stage II, you may choose to buy a Marena though.

3. I will be re-couping at my parent's house in NOLA - so have my old room from childhood back. Bed is good, bought the wedge, have many pillows, tv, shower chair, WIFI. Any other "things" I can do to prepare for now? Sounds perfect! Where in NOLA do they live?

4. My daughter-in-law to be is an RN and it scheduled to stay with me the first night in the hospital and the next day. My 22 year old daughter, 2 sisters, and parents will then pick-up the slack. I am sending my husband and sons home (hunting season) and they will come back to NOLA when I am out and through Christmas. I plan on going back home (Central Louisiana-3 hour ride) after Christmas. Does this sound practical? Any input is welcomed! All sounds good... the time you need the help most is the first few days out of the hospital... whoever is helping you will be helping with getting your compression on and off, helping with bandages etc... so someone who will see you in the buff... take that into consideration. A three hour ride is a piece of cake at that point.

5. We have a neice getting married exactly 1 month later, Jan 18th. Any chance I'll be able to go and "sway" to the music for a little while? One month after my 2nd stage I (DIEP flap) I drove to my 30th HS reunion 3 hours away and danced the night away all weekend long. Enjoy... and loose clothes or elastic!!

6. Dr. Trahan said I will most likely leave the hospital with the 2 hip drains and then within 2 weeks lose them. Has this been the "norm", considering (and praying) that there are no complicaitons? Very likely with a DIEP!!!

• vwbordelon
    edited November 2013

Betsy,

I grew up on the Westbank of the city (across the river). All of my family is still there, except me. I hope your travels to NOLA are un-eventful and that you are able to enjoy a little bit of our city while you are there. Best of luck with your surgery, I'll be right behind you!

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

I was actually at the Gretna Fest last year... that was a ball.... I lived in NOLA for 5.5 years back in the eighties... and have been back many many times (especially in the last 3 years). Always a good time.

Heading out tomorrow... Will anyone be there?? Or just me?

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2013

vw sounds like the ladies have it covered. My friend in stayed with lives in Harvey which I think is considered West Bank right? I could totally be wrong with that one. It was only 8 miles but we just had to cross the river.

They will give you everything you need when you leave the hospital including the medical supplies etc.

Your going to do great and are in great hands!!!

Betsy, thinking of you!!! Almost there :-)

Hugs to all those upcoming and recovering now. I think of all of you everyday and you all are in my daily prayers!!

Chelle

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited November 2013

vw-I grew up in Harvey! Small world two wanker on the board!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited November 2013

Celtic - I hope that you traveled home safely and that the lipo pain is under control!

Betsy - I hope that this final tweak makes things perfect! They said that SGSH was full when I was there but I never saw anyone when I walked my laps. Thankfully, Maggie stopped by to see me! Who's traveling with you this time? I hope that you get to enjoy the city a bit too.

VW - It looks like you've covered everything! I hope that you're up for dancing at your neice's wedding!

• vwbordelon
    edited November 2013

mstrouble16,

I sent you a pm

Betsy - travel safely and recover quickly - hope you get to have a good po-boy while you are there- prayers going out to you!!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited November 2013

good luck Betsy. I hope everything goes perfectly for you.

Vwbordelon, while I enjoyed my visit with my mom during the day I also looked forward to the down time alone in the hospital at night and a peaceful nights sleep. My mom slept in my room at the hope lodge. They have a nice guest bed in the room if you want company but the nurses will take good care of you. After my surgery I found I was more comfortable in compression and the thing they gave me was very bulky so I bought some girdle briefs. I wouldn't have known what size to buy before the surgery because I was a different size afterwards. I wouldn't buy any bras or compression garments beforehand. One thing I did buy that was very handy was a zip up coverup from lands end. I wore it every day in the hospital instead of a hospital gown and it was much more comfortable and modest.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited November 2013

vwboredelon,

Use the compression they give you, that should be enough. One to wear, one to wash.

I did not leave the DIEP in compression on the stomach, just bra. I had two breast drains and one hip drain removed at post-op visit one week out of hospital. So went home with one drain, which lasted another week! Then I was told to wear compression for one week, and after that "only if it helped me feel more comfortable". I had. dr. Sullivan. I think it really does depend on the patient as well as the doctor.

In regards to stomach compression...I was unsure of my size, they gave me a 2x and a 3 x AND the compression "belt" as options and they gave them ALL to me. I never used the "belt"..it was similar in appearance to a back brace I used when I had back issues...I wasn't interested.

They were only gong to give me the 2 x, but I hesitated and THANKFULLY I was given the 3 x as well. Turns out I needed the 3 x. I needed to alternate it with the 2 x (as I hand washed and dried the 3x) and the 2x was too constricting. I am typically about a size 16, and I had a 2x garment from kohls that fit fine before DIEP (wore it for a wedding) but was too tight after DIEP. Those garments run "small" or they just to,d me that so I wouldn't feel bad! Lol. Anyhow, I tell you that so if you know your size, go one size bigger and get 2 garments the same size and you won't suffer like I did!

Make sure you mention the 3 hour car ride to NOLA, they will likely give you compression to wear. They gave them to me to fly home.

I did not need help with compression bra, didnt have compression til later, but I DID have hubby help "paint" my incisions with Betadine.

3 weeks after DIEP I was on a plane to Vegas. No dancing, but lots of walking. I don't have any problems (except sitting on the plane that long in compression! As it was my week to wear compression!).

Expect you might be a little more tired than usual, but you will probably have the energy you need to celebrate and then SLEEP well later!

Pat

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

All settled at hotel monteleone. Mom is with me. Pre-op later today

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2013

I hope you have some fun today, Betsy! Wear something tight and blue to match the marker!

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Got my blue on. And my black body by Victoria bra. Last time my beige bra turn blue.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited November 2013

Betsy - I hope that the blue is in places that you expected it! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending healing thoughts!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2013

Sending all kinds of positive thoughts and energies, Betsy!!

Back home, kinda wistful, having had my last surgery and tats. Post-op check-up Monday right on the mark with a teary me and a smiling Dr. D. who says getting women to this point is what keeps him in the game ... great sense of satisfaction as he watches not only the wounds heal and the body transform, but the woman heal as her body does. Thanks somehow seems so lame ...

I am truly amazed. If I can figure out how to post a photo, will do so. You would never know that I am a uni-lat!! Between the amazing work Dr. D. does with the flesh and Vinnie's artistry ... well ... DAMN, ladies!! DAMN!!

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

yay Maggie 1

Thinking of you Betsy!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2013

Yea, Celtic! Heal well Betsy!

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2013

So happy for you Maggie! It's great to see you so happy now that you are all finished. What a journey.

Good luck today Betsy!

• KaseyAnne
    KaseyAnne Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013

Just giving a little update on me----I had my diep last Tuesday (Nov. 12th) and was realeased from the hospital on Saturday.  Had my follow up on Monday and was lucky to get all 4 drains removed! Drove home Tuesday.  No major issues--just some unexplained blistering of my pinky that happened during surgery lol.  Recovery has been alot easier than I had planned, thank God!

Celtic (Maggie) was a doll and came to see me in the hospital :)  The hospital staff was awesome as well as Dr. Trahan!  Top notch!!!

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

KaseyAnne-so happy you are home and things are going well for you. Take it easy on yourself to prevent later problems. Drink lots of fluids and continue the stool softners.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2013

Thinking of you Betsy!!!

Maggie you sound amazing!!! So very happy for you!!!

Kasey, sounds like you are doing well but still go easy on yourself!!!

Hugs to you all!!!

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2013

WOW Kasey! You sound like you are doing GREAT! All 4 drains removed at post-op? You are one lucky girl. That's fantastic.

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

So glad for you Kasey! Betsy...can't wait to hear from you!

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Ok. I am not so loopy... Had my surgery at about 12:30 today. Into room at 5:30 or so. Had a yummy grilled cheese and tomato soup. Now relaxing.

So... I have 3 drains. Was hoping to have none. Laura didn't think I'd get any. Oh well.

Here's what he did:

Revised left hip scar and drained a seroma. My thing that was aspirated last week still wasn't great. Dr D suspected it was a pseudo bursa. Will learn more when we speak.

Left breast revision including fat grafting, lifting, unadhering skin from fat where I had an indent, nipple revision and centering.

Right breast revision incline partial flap rotation to move fat from lower outside to top of breast to address an indentation. A little lift. Removal of some of my patched skin. Fat grafting.

Lipo on flanks, inner thigh, around belly button and lat area.