Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2013

Gosh... now I need to go back to NOLA soon... Never even heard of Revolution.

So ladies. Question. Dr D asked me to leave my hip drain in til it turned straw colored in light of the pseudo bursa. Things were progressing nicely until this afternoon. I just stripped 12ccs of very dark fluid. What's up with that? I have texted Jeanine, but thought someone might chime in.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2013

when my pseudo bursa was healing the color changed a couple of times. watch out for any signs of redness or increased pain. I threw a clot around 3 weeks out and right after that I got an infection and the fluid went to a cloudy yellow color. Always on a weekend...WTH! Sorry Betsy...praying it is NOT an infection or anything to worry about. Did he give you any indication how long the drain would b there? For me it was 8.5 blissful weeks....have had no issues since then.

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

He thought that I could pull it last Wednesday, once the fluid went yellow. But it never went yellow, so I kept it in.... Then this. Jeanine thinks maybe a hematoma? I did add extra compression last night, trying to dry it up. She thinks maybe that encouraged it to move along? Anyway, I am to call on Monday, get more antibiotics and keep the drain. Maybe I have been too active? I have been pretty good about lifting stuff... running no marathons, but have been out and about with my kids home. I will bring it all down a notch. I was cleaning, vacuuming, shopping etc.... no more for a bit.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2013

I've never heard of Revolution either. Thanks Vinnie! However, I think I am done and may not be back for health reasons.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2013

I can't stay away from Cochon -- rabbit & dumplings, hamhock skillet -- lawdy!

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

Betsy....you do indeed need to slow down a bit! Maybe then the fluid will calm down too.

2 days til I leave for Charleston ...Dr M is going to start working on my butt...body lift time I believe. I will know more Tues when I have my preop...ready for the blue marker

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

Wow Maggie, this time has flown by. I am so happy you are nearing the end of this. I will be thinking of you in Charleston. Will you be seeing Marty?

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

I would love to see anyone who wants to come see me. Will be at the main Roper Hospital. Let me know. Planning a 1 night stay again so out on the 5th. Really hoping for no drains but I know better Loopy I am really not that nervous this time. I think it is the hope that when she does the backside it will finally stop hurting. I am tired of the constant pain in the butt LOL

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

Maggie - I would drop in after my pre op on the 4th, but would kill anyone who came to visit me the day of surgery. If you are up to it, I can drop by Homewood on the 5th. Letting you take the lead.

• Pamiam45
    Pamiam45 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2013

I am new to the boards. I am scheduled for a hip flap with Dr. S on January 22. I have a ton of questions about what to pack, what to expect, where's the best place to stay....and on and on! I am a 2 time survivor and had a TRAM in 1999 that went great. Re diagnosed in opposite breast in 2010. I had a failed TE (most likely due to rads). Not wanting to go through that ordeal again! Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance:)

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2013

Hi, Pamjam -- you are in good hands! There are some links above in the header, one of which is what to pack. I think every one of us brought 4 times the amount of stuff we needed. They have most of it taken care of in NOLA at the Center. I had a hip flap in October 2012 and there was surprisingly little pain in my hips. If you've had a TRAM, then you know what to expect for the recovery. The Center will take great care of you, and you will love Dr. Sullivan!

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

sounds good Marty...I will PM you my cell #

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2013

Pamaim45, I added your stage 1 date (Jan 22) to the list. Welcome!

Betsy, I have heard that extra tight compression can dry it up. Hope that works.

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

Bags are packed and I am ready for stage 2b!  By this time next week I hope to be lookin good.  

Mags

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

You will look great Mags! I will be thinking of you. Give Dr. Marga a squeeze for me.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Beverly... The compression garment is a little too loose in the butt, so I have been adding all sorts of extra compression... washcloths, pads and flexees. The output is reducing, but still dark red.

• Pamiam45
    Pamiam45 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2013

Thanks for the info LAstar! I will check out the packing list...didn't even see that earlier! I am hoping since I've been through the TRAM, I will have some idea of what to expect. What hotel do most of you stay at? I'm so glad I found this group, having you ladies to help me along the way will be great! Any info you can share will be much appreciated!

Pam:)

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

Pamiam45- Many women here really enjoy The Homewood Suites. They have a hot breakfast each morning and a light dinner on Monday - Thursday. Many girls also stayed at the Hope Lodge at no cost. I can give you more info on this if interested.

We are here for you so ask any questions that you may need.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited December 2013

pamiam45, looks like we are having surgery on the same day with the same surgeon. I imagine I may bump into you, however I'm only going to have one overnight and you should have 3 at the hospital. I am staying at the Hope Lodge Jan. 20-26. It is very comfortable especially for the extended stay. I'm also a 2 time survivor, but I didn't have reconstruction the first time. Just lumpectomy and rads.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Pamiam... The Homewood Suites is great for stage 1 recuperation. Lots of room, big bathroom, living room, kitchen... plus the breakfast and dinner. The only down side is you really need to cab it to the restaurants in the Quarter. Its walkable, but you'll be fatigued. But the cab will be like $5 so no biggie.

I have had DIEP, GAP and Tdap, and GAP was the easiest to recover from. Virtually no pain. Enjoy your restful time at SCSH in its spa-like environment. Definitely have their grilled cheese sandwich! Yum.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited December 2013

Tears of complete JOY!!!! Vinnie you are amazing!!!! Thank you so much!!!!! We are sitting in the Revolution on your recommendation. We just had beer battered crab beignets...unmm yummm. Eric is waiting on the death by gumbo ( per your recommendation Vinnie:)

Ladies..I having a couple tweeks in the morning.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

tweaks?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2013

beer battered crab beignets - oh my!

Betsy, you can get them to mail you a smaller garment. I've heard lots of ladies doing that here! You deserve it! Have you asked about the dark red? hmmm.

Pamaim - I really liked the Homewood for all stages. it's close enough to walk to the French Quarter, and I like the extra space, free food, etc. :)

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Hi Beverly... I just put on my M Marena... Still not super tight in the buttocks. I could ask for a smaller garment, but I am guessing that by the time it comes, I won't need it. The dark red blood is (according to Laura) from a hematoma. She said that hematomas form from surgery, but are viscous and don't initially drain through the drain tubing... after a few days, it becomes more liquid and can drain. So that is why it showed up on Saturday. Saturday I had about 20cc of fluid (after a week of about 5cc) and now I am at 10cc or so per day. So... I keep the drain until the color changes or runs dry.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited December 2013

Betsy - I had that with my hip drain at Stage 1, straw colored and decreasing and then dark red. It never did clear, turned pink and then finally just stopped draining. With what you've been through, I'm sure you just want to be sure it's dry before you pull the drain...even if it is a pain.

Maggie1 - It's so nice to read how thrilled you are with your results! I have to admit that, although Dr. S did more then I had anticipated, he was right. Everything looks better already. I'm still a little swollen on the right but I anticipate almost perfect symmetry! And the lift that he did at my incisions has improved the way it looks. Unfortunately, my LE has flared and I have a lot of swelling in my back and at my waist. My fingers are crossed that it's transient!

Maggie2 - I hope that your surgery goes smoothly!!!

Russell1 - so glad that you're thrilled with your results! I've never heard of Revolution but I will add it to my list of must eat at while in NOLA! Enjoy the rest of your time there. I hope you have an easy recovery after the tweaks!

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Yes, I will let it run dry. I have always had the philosophy of short term pain for long term gain... thats why I wear compression weeks longer than they require, and hold drains longer just to be sure... I can tell already that this last surgery was just what I needed... Everything looks great. So I would really like to stay out of the OR and move on to TATs with the VIN-man... Thank you Dr DellaCroce. You are a Godsend!!!

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

All marked up and ready to go.  Surgery at 8am.  She is going to lift right side, remove some necrosis from leftie, start working on left hip from gap donor and lipo out some on my diep site as one side has a small pooch, remove a rad tatoo under leftie and redo my port scar.  I am gonna be sore.  She said she may not start lipo on flanks or thighs yet...probably next time.  I told her I trust whatever she decides but she is right on with what I would like.  Only thing that may not ever be fixed is a small "dent" under left armpit on side of flap but with lymph transfer that takes preforance as it is not something anyone will see and it may make the le worse so will live with it.

Betsy...hoping for quick recovery for you...so happy you love the results.  Gives me hope

To others just coming on...you will not regret the choice

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

Well, for someone not having surgery until the 16th I am marked up enough to go right in. Saw Dr. M this afternoon. This won't be my last surgery. We will be fat grafting to increase cup size; filling hollows; removing dents; revising both breast scars to reduce their size, thickness and try to even them up by raising one about a half inch and lowering one about a half inch; lipo to outer thighs for fat grafting; and moving/lifting the left. She said that it won't be too painful this time and that we will go for nipples next time. Can't do them this go because of the scar adjustments. I am really excited about the scar adjustments - they are the original incisions and were never in great locations. Of course, going up a cup size will also be great.

Will check in on Maggie tomorrow. We had hoped to get together, depending on when she is released from the hospital.

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

Marty- At least the end is in sight for you. Hope you get to see Maggie. Please say hi to her for me.

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2013

Hi It's me. Just wanted to update before lights out. The drain has not drained all day so I am hoping it comes out but hubby said he was told if it stopped draining, they would put a larger drain in. sigh Also, cultures are not back yet so we don't know anything. And to confuse you all, my INR was down too low due to MO giving vitamin k so now it is to the injections. Geeezz, what next. Other than that, no fever and not as angry red. For laughs: 3 year old grandson gets on google talk and wants to play with Snickers. Mommy had to explain it twice about being in hospital. Talking to my daughter and boys make my day!!

There are a lot of gals going into diep surgery and many are recovering. Ya'll are in my pockets and prayers.