Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited November 2013

bdavis...are drains "standard" at this stage? Glad you aren't loopy and you are resting comfortably.

Pat

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2013

Well this is my third stage II, so I think Laura assumed that he wasn't doing a ton so probably no drains. But they aren't producing a lot, so hopefully will be removed Monday at my post op... Drains at stage II usually don't last long. But in January I did have drains for 3 weeks I think...

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2013

Good to hear from you Betsy. It sounds like a lot, but hopefully that seroma thing is gone for good. You are going to look fabulous!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Betsy

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2013

Glad you are on the other side, Betsy! I love hearing how happy Celtic is too. Hooray for satisfied customers! Rest well, ladies. I don't recall a check-in from TTay since her stage 2. I hope she is doing well.

Lots of ladies up next week! Good luck with planning and packing!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited November 2013

Hey ladies I wanted to post a link here for you all to read. I use a PS group out of San Antonio, TX PRMA. Dr. Ledoux is my PS. They are one of the top in their field in the United States. This year they have published a couple of studies that have to do with DIEP flap that I thought you all would be interested in. The most recent is they they are using a superficial vein along with the main vein to increase success rate of the transfer. The study has a 99% success rate. The other two studies are using the Vascular Lymph node transfer for those suffer with Lymphodema and also a study for obese patients using DIEP successfully. The group does over 500 DIEP flaps a year. Here is a link to their news media and articles you can check out. Hope this is helpful to someone. http://prma-enhance.com/useful-resources/media

• Sherryc
    edited November 2013

Well seems that I am being questioned about my motives here. I am a breast cancer patient and I do not work for PRMA. I just happen to love my PS. I had a very bad experience with my first BS. Although I did not have DIEP flap because I was not a good candidate not because I did not want to and I have been lucky not to have lymphodema but I do not let my guard down because I am aware it can happen years down the road. I think the work my PS group is doing is amazing and I am passionate about spreading the news of new work being done out in the breast cancer world. I have always thought knowledge is power and if it can help someone else then it is worth it. Sorry if I offended anyone with the multiple post that I had.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

Betsy, you are sounding great! Those drains will be gone so fast you won't even remember having had them.

Looks like my surgery will be delayed until December 16th. I will still have my pre-op on December 4th, but Dr. M wants to personally look at the darkened area of the left flap and the rather painful fat necrosis lumps on the same side. By delaying 11 days, she will be able to treat anything that needs treating. Oh, well . . .

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited November 2013

Betsy you sound good ! Sorry about the drains.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2013

Had two drains, Betsy, but Dr. D. pulled them at post-op. What a treat to fly home drainless!! Sending along healing thoughts!

Maggie

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2013

Betsy, wow, that is a biggie for a third stage 2! Hopefully you will be nearly perfect and good to go!

Eve (aka Minnesota) I put your Tat appt up there!!! There are a couple ladies there when you go. have fun! I hope it's Vinnie!

• Sherryc
    edited November 2013

Besty sorry to hear you have had to have another revision. I remember when you were going through your other. Hope you don't have the drains long.

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2013

Hey B, when will you be ready for tattoos? I hope sometime soon... I have been looking forward to it for some time now. I think when you are ready I will schedule a few hours for your tatts so we can get lunch or something so we can talk a bit without me having to worry about the schedule and such... hope you are feeling well with everything going on!!! GOOD LUCK! see you soon?! vinnie

• Pattysmiles
    edited November 2013

woo hoo! Booked my Stage 2.

I'm going during Mardi Gras!

February 26 is surgery....the parade will go past the hospital that evening...gee, I hope I get a room with a view!

Hotels are VERY pricey, but, this time around I am bringing friends...so when it is divided up it is actually a pretty decent deal!

Anybody been in New Orleans for Mardi Gras? What are we in for?

Pat

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

Pat - we took our son for Mardi Gras about 5 years ago. He wanted to spend his last spring break with his folks. We stayed just outside the quarter in the Hilton Garden Inn. Things were manageable. The crowds were so polite, it amazed us as it wasn't that way in the past. It was fun. If your crowd wants to be crazy, they will find a way. If they are tee totalers, they will be fine. It is pretty flexible. Glad to hear you are scheduled. Don't let them expect too much from you. Stage 2 is nowhere near what Stage 1 was, but depending on what is done you may not feel like partying for a few days.

• Pattysmiles
    edited November 2013

thanks Marty...I figure looking out the window and watching the parade go by on the surgery date will be as good as it gets for me. Anything after that I will consider a bonus. Wow, that must have been great to spend that time with your son. I joked with my hubby that I don't know if I want my kids to discover New Orleans! Lol

Going along is my childhood friend, another I have for 26 years and my wonderful MIL who is so young at heart (she is turning 70) I know all will have a blast...withor without me. If I can find 2 more people to go it would lessen the cost of the room for all...but honestly $2,000 divided by the 4 of us makes it very reasonable.

Arrive Monday, pre-op Tues, Wed surgery, Thursday released...I'm guessing Friday post op and Saturday I leave...not too much time for fun for me! Lol. But at least my 3 cohorts will get to take it all in.. I don't feel cheated in the least. I enjoyed myself prior to stage 1.

There will be parades on Wed, Thurs, Fri AND Saturday! My MIL says she wants to go home with the most beads! I love that woman!

Pat

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Vinnie. I can't wait... Dr D says it'll look fabulous once I have my tats.... I need to wait three months after this surgery and then I can get inked....March is pretty hectic for me.... So my goal if I can swing it with work is to come down in April or May for a long weekend and get my tattoos then. I hear you are booking into May, but maybe that is just hearsay....And I'd love to have lunch or something. I was asking someone yesterday if you were in town, but they didn't think so.... I was hoping to at least meet you.

So I am at the Monteleone Hotel til Monday then at the Omni one night cause the Monteleone has to shut off their electricity for repairs for the night.... I have all my dinner reservations lined up. Court of Two Sisters, Commanders Palace and Irene's. And happy hour at the Columns... May hit the Oak St Poboy festival Sunday. Planning a facial, riverboat ride and horse/carriage ride to fill my days. I will be dodging some rain though.... Oh well.

So I know my third stage II sounds extensive. It was about 4 hours. But aside from the bruising I feel pretty good.... No nausea this time. Yahoo! And Laura thinks the drains will go at my post op. That would be great. As much as I love New Orleans and my absolutely wonderful surgeon, I hope this was the last surgery. I know I can always come visit for fun, and even pop in and say hi to this great staff of doctors and nurses. I loved catching up with all the nurses last night and today. After a total of 23 nights in the hospital and 6 surgeries, I have met some wonderful staff and many fellow patients. So hopefully just some tattoos a la Vinnie and it's complete!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited November 2013

I haven't been here in a while buy had a question about billing and "arbitration on our behalf"

I received a letter saying that my insurance company did not pay what they should have and I signed the form allowing them to go to arbitrate for it on my behalf, i am very concerned that if the insurance company still doesn't pay them that I will have to pay the medical and also the arbitrator. Has anybody been in this situation? I am going for stage 2a and very concerned that I am getting in WAY over my head, as if this diagnosis and last 2 years wasn't stressful enough!!!!

Hope someone can shed some light.

Betsy you sound fabulous and are having a great time on this trip, enjoy and heal up soon.

Thank you to all you girls for always being here sharing and caring :))

• Pattysmiles
    edited November 2013

Marcie, I had a bill for close to 150k...then I was called to book stage 2. I spoke to billing and said I can't possibly book a stage 2 when "you all" are going to own my house! Anyhow, I was reassured many times that I wouldn't have to worry, they will fight for what they can get, but do want us to support them in that right, and that would be the end of it. Hope it's true.

Pat

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Marcie. Don't worry. They have you sign that so they can be aggressive with the insurance company. I have never paid more than I was quoted.

• Marcie47
    edited November 2013

thank you for such quick reassurance, it sure helps to calm my anxiety to know that others have been there, thank you doesn't feel like enough to say but it is from the heart :)))

Have a great weekend :))

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2013

I've had a few bills go into arbitration. I've not had to pay any additional and I've not been worried about paying additional. I still have a bill from Sept 2012 going on. I've also had delay of payment take almost a year but I kept close contact with billing and talking to insurance. Some of that stuff does NOT have a quick turnover!

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

My doctor is appealing my insurance company. I have never had to pay more and Dr. M told me not to worry about it. They would like our support. I was interviewed by my insurance co. and apparently they have agreed to pay my doc more. I haven't heard from them since.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited November 2013

I got a letter from my insurance company denying the request from the hospital to pay for charges the insurance turned down the first time and this was for my first surgery which was in March. I have had two others since then and on all the insurance has turned down some charges. I don't know if the hospital will try to appeal all or not. I didn't know they had sent in a appeal to the insurance till I got the denial letter.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

Our appeal is for my first surgery one year ago. I have had 3 since then. Should be interesting.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

Marty, sorry to hear of your delay. Heal well my friend.

• Marcie47
    edited November 2013

You girls rock!!! Thank you for the honest feedback, it has really helped to calm my fears.

Hope everybody is having a beautiful weekend :)

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited November 2013

Marcie-I've had four and never paid more. So don't let it bother you.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2013

I never paid more than I was quoted either, though for years the insurance company kept sending paperwork asking all sorts of questions about how much WE personally paid the docs, etc. (which was zero because we were in network and had met our out of pocket max each time). My husband just threw them out. We now have a different company!

Betsy, you sound DONE to me! It feels good!

Vinnie, if you see this, where else beside NOLA to you practice? And if you want insurance to pay, do you need to book through and have them done in NOLA?

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited November 2013

my insurance would not pay for Vinnie at his shop in Maryland. I don't think

it really matters where you go because from what I have read on here NOLA charges more and

your insurance likely won't cover all of it so you will have a bill anyway... hope that make sense.