Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2013

My insurance refused to pay for a large portion of my stage 2, & even asked for money back later for work they decided was experimental. After two denials, the center asked me to get involved and write a letter. After that denial, their attorneys took over. I've been assured repeatedly that I will not have to pay anything because that it what I was told at the beginning. It's been over a year and I have seen no bill.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2013

Shoot, the Center billing folks have been arm wrestling with my insurance for bills from 2011 & 2012! Though I am kept up to date by both the insurance company and the Center, I have no other payments (other than office visits) that I have made out of pocket other than what was quoted. I was told that if I have my tats done at the Center (which I did) then I will pay less than if I had Vinnie do it in his studio as that is not a "clinicial" place. I probably will have to pay something towards Vinnie, but they will bill for costs and I sure don't mind because the work he did is priceless!!

Maggie

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2013

Hi all,

I'm a NOLA grad, though I haven't posted here in quite a long time. I've kept up with some of you here on Facebook. I had a great experience with Dr. D and Dr. Stolier when I was there and think the new girls look splendid.

After all was said and done, I wrote a one-woman musical comedy about my experiences called "The Mutant Diaries: Unzipping My Genes" which I have been performing for the past year. I hear from women all the time who want to know when the show is coming to their area, but that is a slow and difficult process.

But I'm very excited to let you know that my last performance in L.A. was professionally videotaped and I've launched a Kickstarter campaign to create a DVD, which means anyone will be able to see the show.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evamoon/the-mutant-diaries-unzipping-my-genes-dvd

I hope you will check it out! I'm also going to be presenting a session at the FORCE conference on using humor to cope with stress. Excited about that too!

Keep the faith!

Eva

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2013

I have been to NOLA 2 times (3 different surgeries) and have huge outstanding bills with them as one of the stays was 12 days. I have received notifications from my insurance that they have refused to pay more than they already had and have also gotten paperwork to sign for NOLA allowing them to go after my insurance for more $$ I feel bad that the insurance was not really fair in what they paid but I just do not have 6 digits laying around to help either. Nothing was owed or asked for on the second visit and it was even a new calendar year with a new deductible. They are truely amazing

Maggie

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2013

Had my post op this morning with Dr D.... He pulled two drains but left the hip drain. Apparently my left fluid filled thing that was aspirated before my trip was a pseudo bursa.... And had already started to refill. He removed it and I should have no further problems. Everything is looking good. Tats with Vinnie next I believe..... I just love Dr D and all his staff. I will miss them.

• mags20487
    edited November 2013

take it easy Betsy...those pseudo bursas are nasty creatures. Did he recommend compression too? Seems like you and I have followed a similar path...just you had gap first then diep and me the other way around. Happy healing!

Mags

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2013

vwbordelon, I added your Dec 17 surgery. Looks like it will be quiet there !

Betsy, what exactly is a pseudo bursa?

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Happy Thanksgiving week everyone. I am in Seattle visiting my son. It will be quiet here. I am thankful for you all.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited November 2013

here is a link about psuedo bursa. Warning "icky" photo at end.

http://thetummytuck.blogspot.com/2008/09/what-is-pseudo-bursa.html

Pat

• mags20487
    edited November 2013

thanks Patty..that it just how Dr M described it to me...had a big one on my butt!!! She removed it when I went for the lymphnode transfer in May...yuck

Maggie

• celtic_antique
    edited November 2013

Ok don't know about the rest of you recent surgeries, but this 10 lb limit is raising havoc with Thanksgiving dinner plans! I always cook at least a 20 pounder! Just have to have more hands in the kitchen this year, I guess!

OTOH, feel that this Thanksgiving in particular I have so much to be thankful for, including all of you. Will remember you at the blessing time ... along with Dr. D. and the Center and SCSH folks. Blessings to all ...

Maggie1

• Springtime
    edited November 2013

Sydgrace (Heather!) I added your Stage 2(b) with Doc D on Dec 10th. :)

So it sounds like this pseudobursa thing is scar tissue that forms in reaction to a sernoma. The picture was icky!! Thanks for the warning!! LOL.

Cherrie, My daughter is in Seattle and will be with us for Christmas but not Thanksgiving! sniff sniff!!

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

So... I read the article about psuedo bursas... The way Dr D explained it to me is that I must have had some fluid after my January surgery. And some of this was probably what caused my cellulitis, even though the pocket of fluid wasn't evident to me then. Since then, for whatever reason, the pocket was filling with blood, and had started to refill after my aspiration two weeks ago. So he removed the whole thing. He said now the tissue should adhere to itself, and to avoid my lymphatic massage for 6 weeks to allow for proper healing. If I jump into massage too soon, it will keep the adhesion from happening and I could have the problem again. Also, he asked me to keep my drain til it runs straw colored. The output is minimal (10cc per day), but wants to be sure nothing gets trapped in there. He said my PB was about 5 inches long and elliptical shaped. Glad its gone.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

Spring- This is my first time out. My flight was 4.5 hours. It's beautiful here, but I wish they were much closer to home. I miss my son. How often do you see your daughter?? My daughter lives in VA. Coast to Coast. Our retirement will be spent coming to see them both. Sniff! Sniff!

• celtic_antique
    edited November 2013

All --

Had the most wonderful e-mail from Vinnie Meyers today that brought me to tears. I had sent one to him thanking him -- I was under sedation when he did my tat, so hadn't had much chance to talk with him other than when he marked me up. What a tremendous talent ... and very special person. One more thing to be thankful for ... for myself, for all of his clients, and all of the women he helps. Blessings are building up!

Maggie1

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2013

With more surgery in my future, I really appreciate posts like yours, Maggie! I can't wait to be a finished and satisfied customer. I'm glad you are so happy with your results! How are you recovering, Betsy?

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

I am doing well. Still toting a drain, but otherwise feel well. A bit itchy though. I do think Dr DellaCroce slammed this one out of the park...(that's a good thing)... I am a perfectist and so is he. I love that.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving. And for those who celebrate, a Happy Chanukkah! Tonight we are lighting the lights and skipping the latkes - substituting caramelized onions in bone broth (they were cooked in oil). My special thanks to all on this list. You have made the past 14 months so much easier. Just knowing that there were women ready to answer all of the silly and serious questions greatly eased my mind and helped me keep everything in perspective. The end is in sight for many of us as others begin the journey. Life is indeed good!

• Springtime
    edited November 2013

Cherri, we got to see her a lot this year because two of her friends got married !! We always get together for Christmas time though. :) Once, we all went to New Orleans and I got tattoo'd! That was a fun trip... :)

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

My compression came off after dinner today. LOL First time in 10 weeks and it felt great! I notice NO difference in my thighs at all. :0( I know, it takes 4-6 mo. But I want it now. Just had to say that.

Like Marty, I am so thankful for you all!!!!!!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited November 2013

I had alot of catch up reading to do.here....I am so thankful for all of you here (my sisters) ! Had Thanksgiving at my house as always. Really enjoyed it this year!!! Me and Hubby leave Monday for Nola. I get my tattoos on Tuesday with Vinnie!! So darn excited. I can't believe this has all happened to me in the last 2 years. It all seems unreal. This is so crazy but the scar the bugs me the most is my hysterectomy one. :( I will keep you all posted. Where should we eat Tuesday night for dinner?

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

Cherrie...yes it does take that long to see results!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

Melanie - love the new picture with the cleavage. You are so close to being done. Have a wonderful time in NOLA with Vinnie (and your DH).

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited November 2013

looking for expensive high end? Mr. B's Bistro. http://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-bs-bistro-new-orleans

Pat

• bdavis
    edited November 2013

Commander's Palace!!

• Russell1
    edited November 2013

Thanks Patty and Betsy for dinner places! I think Dr. S. said to go to Commanders Palace..hmmm....

Thanks MartyJ...I'm loving the cleavage!!! Lol

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

Commanders Palace!!!!

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2013

Commanders is good but I think they are riding on reputation more than quality. I have eaten there with my family and alone 4 times in three years and while all the meals were good they were not great. I think Revolution in the Quarter is the place to go! Mr. B's is ok too but not The Rev. I eat out in NOLA 4-5 nights a month... sometimes 9-10 nights a month and Revolution is the best... kinda expensive but if you are celebrating the end of your BC journey go BIG! The Rev is in the Royal Sonesta on Beinville between Bourbon and Royal... it is really amazing. Chef Folse is a La. born guy that has really done a great job of putting it together. I can get the Manager to give you a tour if you want ... its awesome. Bayona and Sobou are also good choices. There is a place near Jackson Square called Sylvain that is also good... and in The Le Petit Theatre is "Tableau" which is a Brennans new place that is also very good.

I will be there obviously for your appointment on Tuesday so we can talk about it... but The Rev is .... YUMMY!