Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited January 2010

I asked Liz about the necklaces yesterday, and she said that they have no more. As I recall, they purchased 40 of them to give out during the "show and tell" at the FORCE conference last year.  Maybe they can be found online somewhere.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited January 2010

Hey anybody...How do I find the "Ask the Dr. forum for NOLA "?

Bettye

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited January 2010

Bettye~on the previous page I posted the link to it.

Minn~So glad it went well and sending you healing energy for good results and no more headache! 

MargtN~YAY!  Sorry you are in pain and having nightmares...but so glad surgery went well and you are home.  Take it easy and rest lots and lots. 

Nordy~ ACK!  I can't believe they didn't even clean her up.  Holy cow.  

To all the gals getting ready...you are going to do great!!!  Someone was wondering about having the packet before buying tickets.  You don't need to.  Call Katie and she will tell you when you have to be there and when you can leave.  I bought my tickets way before I had my packet.

I did have a CTA.  I know they don't do it for all DIEP's.  I don't know what the criteria is.  I'm sure you could ask.  I was one of the 'unlucky' ones who was there before they had their chef.  The food was HORRIBLE...LOL!  But is was still the best hospital experience ever.  And I would just send my mom to get me corn grits from Zea's.  YUMMY!  

Glad to see so many of you are getting to be drain free!  YAY!  Pam, I think you hold a record no one wants to break! 

In reading the past week or so, you can really see the difference in recovery for Stage 2.  Stage 1 is pretty much standard, but Stage 2 is so different for each person.  I was out of compression at the 2 week mark and enrolled in a hard core exercise class at 3 weeks. I didn't have any drains, so that played a huge part.  Dr. S did lipo the holy heck out of my mid section, but I hardly had the swelling.  But Liz did warn me that most women do and to expect it.  So be patient ladies!  It will come.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2010

margit - Sorry I didn't address you before! Hurray for being on the other side of stage 1!!! I hope that you get a decent night of sleep tonight and are feeling better soon.

Oh, yeah... fun at the gym. The girl never reported the incident - she was supposed to write it up - nothing. I think some heads are going to roll... or at least one head. The manager was NOT happy. AND the manager of the kids' club said this is not the first incident with this particular attendant not following protocol. Which makes me happy that I said something because I contemplated letting it go! And makes me even more leary to take my kids there! Why is she still working there if this is not the first time??? 

Okay, for the necklace - I have researched to see if I could find even anything similar. This is the best I could come up with: 

www.b-native.com/product_view.php?id=77

Not quite the same and a little pricey, but... It was all I could dig up! 

It is good hearing everyone's stage 2 stories since I am seriously getting cold feet for stage 2! I just feel like I love things now and am scared to mess with success! Except that I DO want my butt fixed!!! I think it does not help that my hubby does not want to go back to NOLA - he is my rock to lean on even if he is a PITA sometimes... AND my sister who had said she would go is now back peddling, saying that they spent all their money on a water softener and a new floor in the laundry room... blah blah blah. Never mind that she would not have to pay to stay - I already have to get a room for ME! And that she has a free ticket on SW... Just the usual family fun... Jenn I know you are so relating right now... SO, you may just be taking a trip... LOL  I keep thinking, what the H am I going to do by myself in NOLA??? Yet, as I say this, I know I am pretty good at keeping myself entertained so there should be no worries there... Okay, sorry, needed to blow off some steam or something! Have a great weekend all!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2010

PJ, did you have the belly muscle stitching done? I had it below navel and there is NO WAY I can do sit ups! I am doing gentle yoga and a few leg lifts. I am no where near sit ups! Dr. D suggests "crunches" anyway. 

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2010

Greetings - doing better!

Thanks for your emails. I was feeling very low and knew that posting was selfish in a way, and very unlike me, but I never felt there was a group in fron of whom I could find so much acceptance.

We arrived back in Phila around 3 and by 3:30 noticed that my left two hip drains did not keep any suction. Getting rid of hip drains is usually a day of joy, but I knew I needed them to do their draning first, so I was in panic.

We headed for the local ER and found a 4 hour wait. We went to another ER and were seen more quickly, by ER docs who had never seen a bilateral SGAP. The ER surgical resident talked on the phone with the Hopkins resident and they decided to pull the one drain that was completely out. He taped the other drain and said that even though it would not maintain suction, it would still drain by gravity.  We got back home about 7, to find that our first floor toilet was completely stuck (we are expert pulngers, so this was really stuck), which meant I needed to use the second floor bathroom (our bedroom is on the first floor_.

The good news is that the remaining left hip drain started to keep suction (about 300/day). Right now, I am thrilled wth that!

On the fun side, since my youngest son is 24, I have few memories of sonograms, but I loved hearing the sound of the blood flow in the flaps. It really felt like listening to new babies. I brought my twin girls home and found a mylar balloon saying "Twins are twice as nice."

Mom and girls are tired but doing fine.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited January 2010

Margit- glad to hear that you and the girls are doing well. I hope you continue on that path.

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited January 2010

Margit welcome to the other side. Now that you are home things will improve and you can get some rest. Take it easy and keep that last drain in.

Nordy I know what you mean about not looking forward to stage 2. Although I had a really good recovery from stage one, I just don't want to go under the knife again. Too bad we are just missing each other.

Hey Jennifer take it easy at work this week, take it slow.

Jaimieh looks like you are up next.

• Jaimieh
    edited January 2010

Okay silly question can I take ativan when I get myself in a frenzy before my surgery ??  I go for pre-ops on Tuesday and my sister is going with me because she has to get a mamogram and I need a new chest x-ray :(   17 days to go....

15 days until I see NOLA for the first time :)  I am a number fool sorry.  I actually counted hours during chemo....too much down time.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2010

I checked out the necklace you found on line, you are right, rather pricey. I think we should all keep looking for the original, perhaps on Ebay...keep your eyes open if you see any of them out there. I think we should all get one as our special memento.

• Jaimieh
    edited January 2010

Does anyone have a picture of the original necklace ?? 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2010

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36835183

This necklace doesn't look like the one Nordy is wearing in her pics, but it's kind of cute ...just something to keep in mind.

• Trishia
    edited January 2010

Yes you can take Ativan.  I had valium with me and they told me to take it if I needed it.  Miraculously, I didn't.  Not for Stage 1 or Stage 2.   I am a numbers freak too.  Things I count off in my head...just weird.

MargitN~I LOVED the dopler!  I would grin everytime they hooked those wires up.  And I love the balloons.  So glad you are the twins are home and doing well.  

• Jaimieh
    edited January 2010

Thanks Trishia :) 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2010

Margit,

I felt the same way about hearing the "heartbeat" of the flap! It reminded me exactly of a fetal heartbeat. And then each time the nurse would check the flap it would get a little stronger. Music to my ears!

• Trishia
    edited January 2010

Here's another NOLA necklace:

https://hb-secure.com/b-native/product_view.php?id=334 

Altough I love the one Nordy posted above...because that's what I feel going there did for me....healed me, mended that part of my heart.  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2010

You know Trishia - I kind of like that one too (I mean the one I posted). I might just get it! The one you posted looks alot like the one I have - but I like my chain better.

Margit - sorry to hear about your drain fiasco! I hope it all works out!

Stephanie - I am SO with you... Yes, to no more surgeries after this! I have had enough! I finally booked my flights today... really I am just dragging my feet. Like I said - I am just done having surgery! Now have to book my hotel. I am deciding between the Hilton family and the Marriot.. We have Hilton rewards - so that may be what I do - but I LOVE the Marriot! I know everyone has their favorite... any suggestions again? (Homewood Suites is the Hilton family - which you probably already know, but please refresh me again!) 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010

Nordy...............Let me know....I'd love to...actually send me dates or call me as I may need to request time off now....no pressure,not a big deal can trade w/ people too BUT.....It would be FUN to go and YES I GET you!  I DO know what my DUTIES would be!....but as soon as I get your pain meds down you I am OUT to party...................NOT............

OK on the hotels............LOVE the points BUT DO check FB and Sandy took some lovely view pics from the Marriott....Post stage 1 we had an awesome corner room w/ 2 walls of windows overlooking the river and the lights at night were JUST unbelieveable....that's why I liked the marriott plus I have points from there and of course location was good.  Had some service issues but my next door neighbor works for marriott so she helps me out!

Spring YES had stitching....pretty sure just below the umbilicus.  Good info re: crunches......is that from ask the Dr? Or?

Margit......Congrats on your new twins!  Love the balloon!  That is what I told people;  "Oh I adopted twins!". 

Ok, have enough to-dos today to put this body to the test and get a preview for tomorrow.

Have a lovely Sunday.

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited January 2010

Well, darn..I was hoping someone would have the answer for me and I would love to take my bra off at night. I will call the center tomorrow. Its been almost 4 weeks and I still have all of the surgical glue on my breast for the flap, but it has all come off on my hip. Probably because of more friction there. My scar on my hip looks really good, very thin.

Margit....I am happy to hear you are doing great.

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited January 2010

ccbaby I think that you are OK to stop wearing the bra but I would check with the center. Personally I wore the bra and domimatrix outfit for weeks after. It was like a security blanket for me.

Re: the doppler. Everytime they hooked me up to that thing I got so nervous. Please let me hear that thump thump sound.

OK Nordy I have to get off my butt and book my fllight too.

Margit I hope you are resting comfortably today.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2010

Hi everybody...happy Sunday!  Well, I found my picture software, so I hope to be able to get some photos later and send them to Liz.

Would someone please post the link for Dr. D's question/answer forum?  Since my operating system was reinstalled, all of my 'Favorites' are gone.  Thanks...I would appreciate it.

Did anyone buy one of those shaped foam recliners someone posted a while back?  I am wondering about sleeping after surgery.  I don't have a recliner and really don't have the room for one so I was think of one of those foam beds or just a foam wedge pillow.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!  Hope everyone is having a nice, relaxing Sunday!

Suzanne

• sassie62
    sassie62 Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2010

I just can't catch up after being off for a week.  Can't seem to find time while working to get on this site.

Had acupuncture on Tuesday and it hasn't seemed to help the headaches.  Very disappointed since it has always helped in the past.  Going to try a massage next.  But of course I can't lay on my stomach.  Just a constant dull ache in my head.  On the list for PT but they don't have any late appointments at this time. 

I found it very interesting to hear that you can ask what two doctors are going to do the surgery.  I never asked but it seems real obvious that there were two different hands at work.  My left side is about as perfect as perfect can be in size and formation.  My right side is smaller and has a problem area by the cleavage which would make it impossible for me to ever wear a push up bra. Of course in the scope of things I realize that is not the most important thing.  Just want to show them off now that I have breasts for the first time in a long time. Anyway, I have asked several times for my surgical records without any success.  Sure would like to know who was in the operating room besides Dr. D. and who operated on the right side.  Although, I don't think the records would address that.

Sandy would like to order a shirt from you.  And thank you for all the info.

Warrior sorry you are still swollen.  I know that all will be well soon.

Sassie

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited January 2010

My op report did not say which surgeon did what. And I think the breast size differential may be due to the depth of the donor site each surgeon removed. Even though both gluteal mounds were about the same weight for me, one buttock wound seemed much deeper...Fortunately, in Stage 2 the breasts should get evened out. But I know what you mean, Sassie, about wanting to flaunt 'em!

Anne

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2010

Suzanne,

I have the "back max wedge" and used it a lot for sleeping right after surgery, and about a month after. I found it really good once you leave the hospital (the hospital beds are wonderful, and I missed it!)

Spring. 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2010

Sassie...so sorry you are still in pain. Did you know Beaumont has an "alternative med" dept at Troy and R O? They may be able to help, too. It won't hurt to ask. Hang in there. My prayers are going down the street to you always!!

As for the drs, I requested my second dr. I don't know if they will always let you or not. But, my original surgery was delayed a week to accomodate my second dr's schedule.

Today is the anniversary of my diagnosis..January 10th. We ALL know the day we found out is a day we don't forget. It is important to me to do something POSITIVE on this day. Last year for my one year, my hubby surprised me and took me to New Mexcio for a hot air balloon ride. It was great. This year was much more low key..lol  Hubby and kiddies and I went to Lunch in Toledo, Ohio at the infamous Tony Packos. (It became famous from Klinger in MASH) and we finally saw Blindside..great movie. Ending my perfect day with ice cream..(and I wonder why I am still swollen? lol)

• plainjane64
    edited January 2010

Agreed Suzanne, the backmax by contour living.......do a search......I could become a salesperson......very cheesy ad BUT mine has more than paid for itself and I bought 3 more- for a sister , BIL, and brother who was post op quadruple bipass....I bought mine 2 years before all this fun to watch TV in bed BUT it was perfect- esp post stage 1 but of course I used again post stage 2 and continue to use....all the time.....very adjustable, very washable and just really comfy w/ the memoryfoam......I'm a big fan...................

• plainjane64
    edited January 2010

Warrior!  Happy anniversary....................You are SO much more now than you EVER thought 2 yrs ago.......HERE's to MANY better January10ths in your future my dear!.......and ps.. your pink FB video is funny! 

I Got the cheesiest pink nail polish for fingers and toes...but we are getting into valentines season!

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2010

Awwww...thanks Jennifer !! You are a doll. And you are right...I am a friend to so many MORE than I could of ever asked for. Each of you are and always will be a part of me....

As for that video..very interesting story there. My college roommate wanted to find a way to honor me and all us warriors as I went thru treatments. She raised thousands of dollars and had the entire town in northern Michigan(Ludington)...GO PINK for Christmas, hence the name..Pinkchristmas.org (check it out girls..) Our hopes is to spread it to other towns through out our country. They even had the shoppes compete in who had the best Pink Storefront. In my facebook video, I was the special speaker at their Pink Beauty Paegant..after, I took a tour once I finished off the bottle of celebration champagen...this is why I am a bit over dramatic ..lol But GREAT for laughs!! lol

• LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2010

Ladies - These posts have been a tremendous help to me as I finalize plans for reconstruction surgery (tentatively scheduled for bilateral SGAP at NOLA with Dr. M, but still working on insurance). Spring & Plainjane -  very interested in the recommendation for the backmax by contour living (never heard of this before).  Do you think it would be helpful after bilateral SGAP?  Did you use it just for relaxing or also for sleeping?  Thank you!