Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2014

I absolutely could not agree with you more tlbradyful...she is truely amazing as is the staff at ST Charles.

Cherrie...congrats on turning the page to a new life...you have been in this much longer than I and you have endured so much.  So happy for you!!!  See you soon once you get settled down here

Maggie

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2014

What a truly amazing person and great surgeon! We had a great visit. 

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2014

Great pic, Cherrie!  

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2014

Cherrie - It is so inspiring to those of us still recovering in the recliner to see such a beautiful representation of "finished"!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2014

like!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2014

has anyone had their belly scar lowered?  I am pretty sure this is what DR M has on the agenda for me.  How long did you have to keep the drains?  Was it as painful as the diep itself? 

I have just started physical therapy for the gap donor site.  Tomorrow will be the second of 24 treatments to try to get relief from the daily pain along the scar incision.  Dr M thinks that the scar tissue is adhering to the muscle causing the constant pain and burning.  I hope it helps as I am just done with it!!! 

My next check up with the ONC is coming up in a few weeks...getting close to the three year mark which for a TN girl is a milestone...finger crossed that it all comes out ok

love my sistas!! you are all my rock

Maggie

• Rivkyw
    Rivkyw Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2014

hey all, 

What are the top things I need for after stage 1? Surgery isn't till July but I have a lot to do between now and then!

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Maggie - Dr M lowered my scar.  No problem.  I had drains in for about 10 - 14 days, but the pain was nothing like Stage 1.  Some of the work she did on the boobs required drains as well, but only for a few days.  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2014

LAST SURGERY June 26. Its an outpatient tweak.

• Ashira
    Ashira Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2014

Feeling gorgeous Betsy? Smile

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited May 2014

Mags, good luck with your appointment.  I'm sure all will be fine. Then I will celebrate big for you!  From one TN to another.  

• bdavis
    edited May 2014

Ashira... Looking forward to being done done. Although I will go to Maryland to see Vinnie again as well. For a tat touch up.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2014

Betsy,

So glad your looong and difficult recon journey is nearing an end. Won't it be great to go back to NOLA for a real vacation and not leave black n blue!  

May I ask why a tattoo touch up?  Will Vinnie charge you for that?  

• Ashira
    edited May 2014

I can only imagine Betsy. Remember though, even in these challenging times, to appreciate yourself the way that we here appreciate you. I haven't seen your pics, but know you well enough to know you are gorgeous!

• bdavis
    edited May 2014

Pinkheart... When I went for tattoos, I knew I wanted Dr D to tweak one area, and so the two of them consulted with me at my tattoo appointment, and their plan was that I'd get tattoos, then a tweak, then Vinnie will go at the tattoo again to adjust color and shape (if needed) and add Montgomery Glands. My tattoos look great, but after Dr D tweaks, there may be adjustments needed.... So I will go to MD for that. Not sure about the finances. And I used to live in NOLA, and have been back for pure enjoyment, always a good time. When I was there in April for tattoos, it was like a vacation, no surgery.

Ashira... you are very sweet.

• Ashira
    edited May 2014

Thanks Betsy, I really don't think I'm that sweet though. Just saying....

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2014

congrats, Cherrie, for reaching the end. I had stage 1 in April 2013 and stage 2 in September 2013 with Dr Sullivan. I look good but the swelling has gone down and I'm not symmetrical anymore. I could definitely use some more fill but it's a new insurance year so I'm done. Maybe someday I'll make it back. Don't place all your hope in losing weight to get rid of your swelly belly. I'm pretty thin (5'6" and 116 lbs) and I hate how my belly swells up. I'm convinced that it would stop if I stopped eating, but food is kind of important. I'll have to try some lymph massage to see if that helps.  I've changed my diet to no gluten and no dairy but that hasn't seemed to have made a difference. 

• lastar
    edited May 2014

I'd like to know more about this swelly belly. Is it over the scar where the tummy wasn't "tucked?" Or is it surgical swelling?  As an upcoming DIEP gal,  I'm rather curious. 

• bdavis
    edited May 2014

Leigh Ann... It is more like a distended upper abdomen. I don't have it bad, but it used to be. It is always better in the morning, and when I eat less. I did get more lipo of upper abs and I think that helped. I also think massage helps.

• lastar
    edited May 2014

Thanks, Betsy!  And you look about 20 in your photo! 

• bdavis
    edited May 2014

Oh Leigh Ann.... I wish. And I wish I felt 20. Lately I am feeling old... creaky knees and hips. Maybe it was kickboxing that I don't usually take, but I don't like it.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2014

I'm very disappointed that the bills from NOLA keep rolling in.

I have a bill from the breast surgeon that was brought in for my DIEP, for the mastectomy.  I was told it would cost me $1,000, I was told this by Vicki..  This bill is for $3,058.  That's on top of the $396 I already paid out of pocket for the office consult with him.  The biller is Oschner , the center that doctor works for.

Just last week I received a bill from the breast center, for each office consult, (stage 1 and stage 2) for a total of $723. (This is out of network).  

What happened to "the price we quote is the price you will pay?"

Anyone have a positive experience getting these bills reduced?  I cannot plead poverty...but I do have a large family and many other expenses to cover.  Shoot, the anesthesia people had been sending bills to some woman in Kentucky (how they got that address!??) and they finally got a hold of me...now I'm looking at a few thousand for that!

Help?!

Pat

• betny22
    betny22 Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2014

My surgery that was scheduled for tomorrow is now cancelled. Im glad I didn't get on a plane before we realized. My hemoglobin levels have dropped quick. Almost didn't catch it, there was a mixup but I had other bloodwork from Sloan to compare and after me looking that up Dr. M agreed that there is no rush for elective surgery that we should first figure out what the reason for the blood loss is. So frustrating and of course scary. I just keep thinking that my belly is so crazy bloated on top and I still have this open incision that it must have a relation. I have a phone call in to my oncologist to see what she thinks. 

Patty, I have gotten a few unexpected bills myself, Im thinking that insurance hasn't cleared them yet. If they quoted you a certain price that should be what you pay.

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2014

BetNy, I am so very sorry. I do not know what to say that will comfort you. I will pray for answers for you and peace as well.

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Bet - so glad you caught it.  Waiting will be good as everything is still changing.  Up that protein to help heal the little spot.  Keep us posted!

• betny22
    edited May 2014

Thank you tbradyful :) I hope you are recovering well and feel good!

• betny22
    edited May 2014

thanks Marty! How did your race go?

• Cherrie
    edited May 2014

Betny- I had a surgery canceled the day before. It was not a great experience, but you will move forward and all will be well.

Maggie- my incision was lowered and was 10 times easier than DEIP. My drains were in for 7-10 days. Much quicker than stage 1. 

Klanders- yah, I am beginning to accept this swelly belly. Dr. M said there are many factors involved: lymphatic fluid, things being pushed up during stage 1, and more noticeable as my tummy is gone. She is right. It is worse later in the day. 

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Race went very well.  We took a bronze in the survivor's division (of course I think there were only 3 survivor teams).  Here is a link to a video of the day.  It was amazing.  They raised $140,000 for Dragon Boat Charleston and keeps the activities free for survivors for the year.  http://lizoakley.com/

Re swelly belly - I had to wear a particular skirt to an event last week so I pulled on the Dom to be sure I was svelte and didn't risk a sudden explosion.

• Cherrie
    edited May 2014

Marty- I looked at that video of the Dragon Boat races. It looked like a lot of spirit and energy. Way to go.