Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2014

So my Stage 1 is scheduled for August 20, I am doing Gap flap. We have a trip to Disney scheduled for November 11 with our grandsons, do think 12 weeks out I will be ok? We also have tickets to Mickey's Christmas Party that are non refundable.  Also how will my butt look? Lol!! I want to wear shorts or Capri pants. Give me your thoughts. Thanks, Gram

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2014

Hey Gram, we're neighbors!  Where in La. are you?

One love,

tp4ever

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2014

Thinkpink- I live in Metairie! So not far from you! So glad NOLA center is so close for me!!

• thinkpink4ever
    edited June 2014

Gram, I lived in Metairie for a few years, and lived in the metro NO area for 18 years total.  It's my second home, for sure!  I'm also happy that I live so close to those amazing docs at the Center.  We are blessed in that regard...

One love,

tp4ever

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited June 2014

finally got a call to schedule the MRI yesterday.  I am set for Thursday morning.  UGH!! hate them...so loud and on my belly that long makes me antsy!!! 

Maggie

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2014

Beverly... we love you and appreciate all that you do for this site. I will PM you.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2014

has anyone ever had to go back and add an additional flap to an existing flap. I am preparing to have radiation to my right flap that was added in jan of 2010 and they said that I may have significant shrinkage. I just was wondering if another flap would be an option. 

• bdavis
    edited June 2014

I have had additional flaps.

• Rivkyw
    Rivkyw Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2014

can anyone tell me how to see the pics in this forum? Are there requirements? My surgery is July 29 and I am obsessing.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2014

Follow the instructions given in the first post of the following forum: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic...

It may take a few days to get the log-in info because TimTam isn't on this web site daily.  

• thinkpink4ever
    edited June 2014

Got my second followup with Dr. Sullivan tomorrow.  All in all, I haven't had too many issues.  I did see one small spot in the incision under my left breast right at the intersection of the anchor scar, where it's opened up just a little bit.  Other than that, I'm hoping to get Stage 2 scheduled for sometime in September.  Oh, and yesterday I was able to get a dress over my head.  Whoop whoop, it's the simple things!  

One love,

tp4ever

• Rivkyw
    edited June 2014

can someone tell me about the numbness you apparently get at the donor site? Also the shark bites. Thanks.

• Rivkyw
    edited June 2014

thank you, lastar

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited June 2014

Rivkyw - when they make any incision, there is nerve involvement.  Depending on what is involved, some nerves may regenerate and some may not.  For me, the numbness is in a triangle from the belly button at the top point with the legs running down to points about 4 inches from the center on each side.  After 18 months, it is a bit less numb and I am more used to it.  I had my Mx 29 years ago.  They did a "modified radical" and I was left with numbness down the back of my upper arm.  The numbness is disconcerting, but not a problem.

• Jaimieh
    edited June 2014

Betsy,

Did they add additional flaps after stage one ??  Sort to ask so many ?'s I am just trying to be prepared for after rads. 

• sgcam
    sgcam Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2014

I am about 9 weeks post-op NSP BMX / DIEP. I'm having a difficult time determining if I have gained weight (and if so how much?) or if "all or most" of this is just fluid/swelling. My breast are still swollen and uncomfortable- (especially the right non radiated non cancerous one) Anyone try losing weight between stage 1 and 2? How did that go? Also did you still have swollen breasts when you went back for stage 2? That seems like a very uncomfortable proposition. It seems as though waiting until things return to pre-op status (or nearly normal) - if they ever do! -would be beneficial in trying to obtain optimum aesthetic results in stage 2. I had originally wanted to have stage 2 in September but I'm now reconsidering and looking at December ( my stage 1 was April) - obviously I would like to get stage 2 in for this year's deductibles, etc.  Any insight would be appreciated :)

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2014

Jaime, I had rads on one breast after I was finished.  It took about 1 year for swelling to go away, per the numerous scans for my other breast.  That breast has kept the shape very nicely.  The skin has recovered well.  I still do have a 'tan' line on it 1 1/2 yrs post rads.  I have lost only about a half cup of volume.  The skin does not feel tight or leathery.  I did have about 2/3 breast radiated and some supraclavicular nodes radiated.  So not my ribs, axilla, etc.

Before I found out I needed rads, I had a Stage 2b to fix a seroma/pseudo bursa I developed at Stage 2.  In order to refill in that volume, Dr Sullivan used some fat from my back.  He called it rotational flap and I've seen it referred as d-tap flap.  It's the latismus flap without taking muscle.  The vein stays attached to the fat and is just rotated around.  I found no difference in my back/armpit area and my infra mammary fold scar extended only one or two more inches.  

I found it surprising to see that my radiated breast was consistently more inflamed than my IBC breast on scans.  The scans started about 2 months after rads and continued for the next year. I was glad to have no inflammation on that rads breast, per my last scan.  If it were me, I would wait a full year before doing any tweaking.  

• Jaimieh
    edited June 2014

thanks Cinder :). I. Plan on waiting some time after rads to let things calm down. I am just trying not to hit my max out of pocket for three years in a row. :(

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2014

I'm on my 4th year in a row!  Dr S always has options.  Have you let them know what is going on with you?  I keep in touch with Laura.

• Jaimieh
    edited June 2014

they know and are waiting to hear from me after rads. I lost some during my lumpectomy. 

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2014

sgcam - I am 11 weeks post DIEP today. I have no swelling in my breasts anymore. It was a gradual change. Are you wearing a cotton sports bra or the surgical bra? That helps me not swell. On days that I need to look really good, I put on a molded cup, non-underwire bra, but most days I wear one of the NOLA surgical bras or a cotton front hook cotton sports type bra. My belly still swells with activity (and sometimes without activity). I am going for stage 2 next week (exactly 12 weeks). I have had almost zero complications. I'm a big rule follower so I am sure that helped. I have commitments in Aug and Sept that prevent me from going in those months and Dr. Massey is in Charleston in July. I just couldn't bear the thought of putting it off until October and luckily they are able to accommodate me. I am hoping this leaves late fall for any complications to be handled. I have a goal of being done by 1/1/15, two years after my diagnosis.

• MartyJ
    edited June 2014

TBradyful - I can't believe it has been 11 weeks already.  Give our doc a big hug!  She will be seeing me in August in Charleston for my final.  Do you need to get on her schedule in the fall in NOLA just in case you need a touchup?  Sometimes she can book up.

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2014

MartyJ - I am so excited to see her! I am dying to know what she will do in stage 2. I will ask if she thinks I need to be on the Nov schedule. I am able to travel if she is not in NOLA. Is August your 2b surgery? What type of things do they do in the stage 2b?

• MartyJ
    edited June 2014

actually it is my 2d.  Should be mainly nipples with some fat grafting.  2b included fat grafting, breaking scar tissue, generally refinement.  2c she tried to even my breast incisions. They were placed during my original MX 29 years ago and the right was high on my chest.  She lowered the right and raised the left.  Also trying to fill a divot that stubbornly doesn't want to change and an odd dent near the cleavage on the right that involves the incision.  Just odd stuff from years of scar tissue building up.  

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited June 2014

mri is tomorrow morning...took forever to get them to set this up....I keep telling myself that it is just scar tissue or necrosis...better safe than sorry.  will keep ya posted as to the results. 

Maggie

• thinkpink4ever
    edited June 2014

Praying for you, Maggie!  Stay encouraged and please give us an update as soon as you get the results...

One love,

tp4ever

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited June 2014

Has anybody had Earleen from North Carolina Do their tattoos?  Vinnie is too busy. I can't  even get them to return my phone calls.  If you did and your on the picture forum... please let me know who you are?

thanks much

• Ally2345
    Ally2345 Member Posts: 96
    edited June 2014

Stix-  I hope you get responses.  I emailed Earleen and she got right back to me, which was really nice.  She told me to contact her a bit later (at that time I did not even have an exchange date).  She was very nice and her website looked great but I would love to have some feedback from people on this board.  I am quite a few months out from the tattoos but I wanted to use this time to find a great artist. 

Ally

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited June 2014

I hope so too.  I know Vinnie is great- but, he seems so busy.  Further, it wouldn't be bad to visit north Carolina either. I am glad she got back with you. I would love to hear from others that used earleen.

You can PM me also

• bdavis
    edited June 2014

Jaimieh

Sorry it's taken me til now to reply. I am actually in Nola now. Had a tweak today with Dr D. 

I had a bilateral gap flap initially. Then had an issue with one side and a month later had the diep  flap. Then 18 months later had a tdap flap ( as cider explained) to replace some necrosis that was bothering me. So, yes, they can add flaps after the fact.