Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2014

2d is a little disheartening

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2014

My stage 2 with Dr. Sullivan is scheduled for September 18th.  I'm excited!  Oh, and I just recovered from true shock when I saw my payroll direct deposit.  Since I'm on short term disability right now, my check is short $800!  I just about died.  OMG, I have no money!  Lol!

One love,

tp4ever

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2014

It is best to just laugh and do the best we can. Good job with your great attitude. 

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited July 2014

thanks for all the emails for those who used Earleen.  I have a ways until i get tattooed.  So... not sure what I will do?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2014

On the way home, at Heathrow Airport now and got the wifi. I added these dates.

July 2 -tlbradyful - stage 2, Dr. M, NOLA

Sept 24 - Kim_L - Stage 2 revisions, Dr. D., NOLA. (had BMX with SGAP)

Tlbradyful - hope all went well!

ThinkPink, I added your date above too.

• Stix
    edited July 2014

I would advise EVERYONE to get aflac insurance. It helped me out soooo much.  I got it when I was 36 and needed it when I was 40. They gave me no hard time with anything. They just sent me checks with my first surgery..I LOVE AFLAC

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2014

oooo stix....you are rubbing salt in my wounds....only a month before I was diagnosed someone that I know sells Aflac and showed my some options and I turned her down for the policy...just could not justify spending the money monthly when I was so healthy.. if only I had known LOL

mags

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited July 2014

I went on-line to check out reviews on aflac insurance.   Terrible reviews.  Why do you suppose that there is such a difference in pay-out results?

I took out US Life catastrophic insurance. The did pay co-pays as laid out in the policy.

I would add aflac, if reviews were more consistent. What type of policy do you recommend?

Eileen 

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2014

I got an Aflac cancer policy the year before diagnosis, what a blessing! They have been wonderful! The first 2 years after diagnosis, my AFLAC payments more than covered my $10,000 out of pocket both years! Probably saved us from bankruptcy!  I still receive a monthly payment every month for Femara! They paid my airfare and part of hotel for all 3 DIEP surgeries in Charleston. Paid for my trip to see Vinnie in NOLA! I have had only outstanding service. 

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited July 2014

Thanks for adding me, Springtime!  Are you returning from vacay?  

One love,

tp4ever

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited July 2014

I have the Allstate cancer insurance and they just paid for my chemo, I called about reconstruction before I got started and they don't pay on that which was too bad since they paid good on the chemo.

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited July 2014

Judy-I researched prior to redoing my BR.  The policies I looked into did not cover reconstruction, so I purchased insurance to cover co-pays. Thanks, Eileen

• Stix
    edited July 2014

Jacee- they paid for your trip to see Vinnie???? Did they pay for your lodging also? I didn't submit that.  How did you submit it? I will have to go through my past bills.

They covered my cancer surgery - but a year and a half later I had atypical in the other side- from what I read they don't cover atypical surgeries (prophylactic). Having a revision of the atypical side in July- imagine they won't cover that either. 

Need your advice on the above Jaycee. I don't even think I have my receipt when I saw Vinnie- My insurance declined it.

thanks,  stix. 

• Stix
    edited July 2014

Just found all my receipts Jaycee.  I PM'd you... :).  I love Aflac!

• Stix
    edited July 2014

Eileen, some people try to get the insurance and suppose they have accident insurance. Sometimes its exaggerated by the patient Is the only thing I can think of.  Everytime I had a mri- they sent me $200.00.  I didn't have many - but, it did help. I had a wonderful experience with Aflac.  If they had another policy which I thought would fit my lifestyle then I would get that also. I get accident from my work so don't need that policy. It really really helped with my cancer leave in 2010.  They don't cover atypical or the prophylactic side that I know of.... if anyone knows differently then please let me know.

thanks

• jacee
    edited July 2014

stix.....My policy is a cancer policy, not a medical policy, so surgeries/procedures aren't covered, rather they may or may not have a benefit that is payable.It is usually a nominal payment for my policy, but every bit helps.  My policy doesn't have a large initial payout for a cancer diagnosis, like some do. Mine paid $1500 for the diagnosis. But, my policy pays a benefit for  almost every aspect of cancer, such as, Chemo, rads, nausea medicine, surgeries anesthesia , etc.  Forr my trip to see Vinnie at NOLA, I was paid mileage to and from and a $50 a day lodging benefit. There was no benefit paid for the tattoos.   I didn't receive a PM yet:)

• jacee
    edited July 2014

Also, my AFLAc policy did have a benefit payable for reconstruction. I guess policies vary within the same company, so do your research. 

• Stix
    edited July 2014

yes... they paid for part of the  2nd half of my reconstruction also...

• Springtime
    edited July 2014

Tedwilliams, I added your Sept 3 surgery to the list. Hope all are doing okay here! 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2014

got my biopsy results back and woo to the hoo....it is b9!  There was a small cyst which she was able to aspirate...kinda cool seeing it disappear on the US screen.  Now on to stage 2c in August!

Mags

• Springtime
    edited July 2014

Yay Mags!

• Ally2345
    Ally2345 Member Posts: 96
    edited July 2014

Mags-  Luv hearing such great news!!  Woohoo!!  Happy dance!!

Ally

• ucfmom
    ucfmom Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2014

Just last week I made my appointment to see Vinnie in NOLA on 2/10/15.  I never even considered that AFLAC would help pay for that trip!  I also have an AFLAC cancer policy and have been amazed at how much it's paid off this year.  I have been very lucky not to need radiation or chemo, but did get large checks for the first occurrence benefit when I was diagnosed in February and after my surgeries.  I've had the policy for a few years and I know the one they now offer at my firm has lower benefits than my policy has.  It's kind of crazy that I got a larger check for my implants than I did for the BMX, but I wasn't about to turn it down.  Winking

Is there still a Facebook page for NOLA?

Beth

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2014

Maggie--so happy to hear your good news.

I hope all of you are enjoying summer--it is going by too fast!

• Stix
    edited July 2014

Yep I love aflac ...it saved me so much...

• AflacPhyllis
    AflacPhyllis Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014

Hi Stix, I'm so glad to hear Aflac was able
    to help. Here’s to your health!!!

• AflacPhyllis
    AflacPhyllis Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014

Hi UFCMOM,
    I'm so glad to hear that we were able to help! It's nice to see positive posts where we've been able to help. Hear's to your health!!!

• Kb33
    Kb33 Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2014

I am very interested in this supplemental insurance discussion.  I too bought insurance when I was pregnant with a multiple birth and luckily I didn't need to use it and let it expire after 6 months.  My question is are you elidgeable for it when you have a cancer diagnosis?   Planning my surgery (first) in NOLA  in the next few weeks.  DX was dcis in only one breast.. So for now.. No talk of rad or chemo.  Just the surgeries.   Which of course are out of network for me and will cost over 10k.  Which of course I don't have... So I am very interested in type of policies people purchased and when you purchased them.. Before or after diagnosis.  Thnx much.  Now eating the financials this week.. Single mom of 3 girls... Thought I was worried about funding college... Now I am worried about funding surgery.  Yikes

• ucfmom
    ucfmom Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2014

I've had my Aflac cancer policy for several years, well before my diagnosis.  I signed up for it the year after one of my coworkers was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She had told me how lucky she was to have the policy and it made an impression on me.  I believe the policy that is offered in my office now requires new enrollees to be cancer free for five years.

• Springtime
    edited July 2014

UCFmom:

There is a Facebook Group. You can see this in the listing above. 

PM BDavis (See member list in the left navigator)