Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited July 2014

Thanks, guys.  I think I'll go for Homewood.  I am a Hilton Honors member so maybe that will help me to get a renovated room.  I'm torn between that and the Residence Inn.  The newly renovated ones like the one in NOLA are very nice.  I stayed in one in Ann Arbor when my sister was having medical treatment there.  We seem to be medical travelers!  She will also be with me in NOLA.  

A little nervous about going off Femara for 3 weeks in advance.

• Kb33
    Kb33 Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2014

well.  I spoke to ps this evening and he apologized that I was scheduled so quickly and actually agreed I should push out surgery to after Labor Day.   Yikes.   Now to see how upset my family will be when I tell them they have to change all their up refundable plain tickets.   Yikes.  I think the stress of how long not to smoke is making me want to smoke.   One hour at a time.  

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2014

I have been to Nola three times--I stayed at the Homewood Suites the first time and the Marriott-Iberville the second and third time. I liked it so much. It was clean, new, quiet and in the FQ. The staff was great too. It is attached to the Ritz. I had a king room which I preferred--it had a sliding door that separated the bedroom from the living space. There is not a bathtub-it is a single shower. I was happy there and I would stay there again if I was having another surgery. I think the nightly rates at both hotels were comparable.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited July 2014

kb33 - good decision.  Quitting smoking is really hard both physically and emotionally.  Giving your body at least 6 weeks before DIEP will give you a much better outlook.  Then the challenge will be to stay quit - at least through the entire process and hopefully forever.  I quit 22 years ago and yes, still want a smoke but more often don't even think about it.  You can do this!

• eloqui
    eloqui Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2014

Has anyone else gotten hit by ridiculous anesthesia and pathology bills after surgery?

I just got bills from Parish Anesthesia and Delta Pathology totalling >$7,000, AFTER my insurance paid.. which I have no idea how I'll pay. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to afford Stage 2 now. Can anyone help with advice?

• mary625
    edited July 2014

Anyone who had Dr. Marga, can you help me with some questions?  What were you required to do as far as physical therapy and lymphedema wrapping post-surgery?  Also did you already have lymphedema at the time of the procedure?

Thanks re: hotel info.  I might do the Marriott Courtyard Iberville.  It looked really good online.  

• MartyJ
    edited July 2014

Mary - Dr. M is a recognized expert in lymphadema.  Before my Stage 1, she had her person meet me and do extensive measurements (in NOLA).  She prescribed gloves and sleeves which she had me wear on the plane to NOLA and home.  Although I get swelling in my hands, it has never been considered lymphadema.  My arms measured so closely that the lymph therapist was surprised.  Dr. M is very cautious.  If you have lymphadema, Dr. M will talk you through everything you need to do and her office will help you find a specially trained lymphadema therapist.  She was one of the first doctors in the US to do vascularized lymph node transplant which has given relief to countless women with lymphadema in their arms and legs.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2014

Gramof2boys, I added your Aug 20 Stage 1 surgery with Dr. T above in the list. 

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2014

eloqui, I've gotten a bill from Delta Path and it wasn't much left after my insurance paid.  They are in network for me, even though the CRBS and the SCSH are not in network.  I haven't gotten a bill from Parish Anesthesia yet, but it may be pretty high because I don't think they're in my insurance network.  Were there any write-offs on your statement?  Are either in network for you?

One love,

tp4ever

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2014

I am a DR Marga girl...I had lymphedema when she performed all 6 surgeries on me so far.  LE is the trickiest thing.  She will wrap you for surgery and you will see a therapist after the surgery while still in the hospital.  Depending on your LE you may or may not have to see a therapist upon your return home.  Some patients can manage it on their own...others like me need the surgical intervention she provided too.  The lymph node transfer surgery is the one that really requires so much therapy afterwards....weeks...and months of therapy to be sure the new lymphs start to work.  I actually now know how to wrap my arm as well as any therapist I have seen :)

So far my Le is now under control quite nicely...I almost hate to say it out loud...might jinx it or something.  I have my next round with Dr M on Aug 27th....4 weeks away...woohooo!!!!   Get these girls looking good

Maggie

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2014

mary625--I stayed at the Marriott-Iberville last August and I got a good rate through the travel coordinator at the Center. I liked the King room better than the standard room and the price difference was minimal. Best wishes to you!

• mary625
    edited August 2014

Mags--6 surgeries?  You're scaring me.  I barely want to have one! 

Bailey--thanks for the info on the hotel.  I think it might be a Courtyard by Marriott.  It looks really nice.

I have spent far more time researching and investigating hotels.  Still somewhat undecided.  I was told by Homewood Suites that all room renovations are to be completed by 9/18, ahead of my surgery, so I booked there for after surgery.  I may book Hotel Indigo for before surgery, if I can't get the good rate at Hotel Monteleone.  Or I may change again to the Iberville.  

• MartyJ
    edited August 2014

Mary, I stayed at Monteleone's sister hotel The Bienville before surgery. It was great!  Got a good medical rate through the Center.  Just remember that Dr. M is a perfectionist and likes to take things slowly.  I am having my 5th and final on Aug 19th.

• Kb33
    Kb33 Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2014

well finally made the decision with ps to move my stage 1 date out three more weeks to take most advantage of me not smoking anymore.   Looks like surgery will now be 9/9.  Will get to see the girls off to school and spend first few days with them before I leave for NOLA.  Now to hold it together that long

found out today... My mother had 6 biopsies between both breasts.  She is 63 and they found lcis on her breast last month after giving her the once over due to my diagnosis.  Some days... I just wonder if the medical community is digging to deep... Sigh

• Springtime
    edited August 2014

KB, I switched your date in the listing above. Good for you quitting smoking! You go girl! 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2014

Mary..sorry do not want to scare anyone...I am a special case. Had diep but left side failed and had to be replaced with gap flap.  Then had complications from that surgery and that led to the LNTx and removal of a pseudo bursa.   Extremely rare indeed.  Many ladies get by with the main surgery and then a couple of tweaks

Maggie

• koalabear
    koalabear Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2014

Hi all,

I've been MIA for a little while. I had stage 1 with Dr S back in late May. The new breasts are gorgeous, very symmetrical. Since I nave never had children and didn't have too much fat, I was very tight. It took almost three weeks to stand up completely straight. I have a little part of my incision that wasn't healing right and just recently started to look better (docs sent me some kind of cream).  I'm going to PT 2x week. 

Stage 2 is scheduled for Sept 10. I'm pretty happy with the shape and size of the breasts - did anyone not get fat grafting and just lipo? I'm afraid of messing with good results. I do, however, need the small dog ears smoothed out and perhaps some scar revision. Also, did anyone have their scar moved lower? 

Any other general advice in prepping for stage 2?

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions for Stage 1! I felt so prepared due to all of you wonderful ladies!

Kb33 - looks like we may overlap. I'll definitely come by to visit you!

• Springtime
    edited August 2014

Koala, I had my ab scar significantly lowered. I am so glad I did, it was way too high up! Really bothered me. 
    I think you should share you feelings about your breasts, maybe he will leave them mostly alone, and focus on the other areas. Stage 2's vary widely, from very little, with no drains, to very significant, with drains and all. It really depends on what you want to have done. I will add your date above. 

Spring.

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2014

mary625 - I had DIEP in April and stayed at the Hope Lodge. I am happy to answer any questions you have. It worked very well for me. I, too, was nervous. I am a bit picky about hotels. I called the NOLA Hope Lodge directly (504-219-2200) and they confirmed well before the 2 week period you were told. The money you save may be well spent renting a recliner. I had one brought in after the first night I was released from SCSH. I have been addicted to sleeping in a recliner since my mastectomy. We left the recliner when we checked out and told them it was free to anyone who wanted it. I'm not sure if they had any takers. You may ask about it. Some nice things about the lodge include cooking a real meal, having favorite foods in the fridge, handicapped shower/bathroom having a washer/dryer right outside the room to wash the post surgical compression garments that need washing every day, and the peaceful tv room and meditation room. The entire two weeks I was there, there was never another person in the tv room with a nice leather sofa. My husband loved watching golf in there. I drank coffee on the meditation porch every morning and we ate our meals at the table in there; very serene. I am scheduled for stage 2b with Dr. Massey on 9/26 so I will be in New Orleans at the same time as you. I drive over from Mobile so if you need me to bring you a wedge, I have one I do not use with a brand new cover. Will you have a car? It is a 15-20 minute drive to the hospital. That was never a problem because we had a car. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2014

I stayed at Hope Lodge before surgery and a VBRO rental after. The rental was very nice and close to pharmacy and groceries. However, both my hubby and I wish we had continued our stay at the HOPE LODGE as it was nicer than I had imagined. People from the community even brought dinner a couple of times. The only downside was we had to rent a car but, the rental company came and picked my hubby up so it was never inconvenient. Also, no food in rooms. Most people have agreed that this didn't end up being an issue. The price is right and the place is nice. If we had stayed there we could have eaten out much more. Lol

• mary625
    edited August 2014

Thank you for your responses.  I am going to call Hope Lodge on Monday and find out if I can confirm now that I've heard such good things about it.  I'm looking at Hotel Indigo for before surgery and for my husband and sister while I'm in the hospital, although one will probably stay overnight.  I know how difficult it is to stay in the hospital full-time with someone, so I want them to have somewhere to go.  It is difficult though getting the reservation confirmed with the sales department.  

• tlbradyful
    edited August 2014

Mary625 Your husband and sister can stay at Hope Lodge while you are in the hospital. I found it comforting to move in before I went to the hospital so when I was released, the room was all set up like I wanted. It was a help to know what I needed in advance. Even if they do not stay there, you may want to check in before surgery day. Visit, at least, if your schedule permits.

Also, the hospital has a family room for when they need to get out of your room for a while. There are restaurants within walking distance.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2014

Are more than one caretaker permitted to stay at Hope Lodge?

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2014

I checked in three days before surgery and my room would have been held after surgery had I not gone to our rental. My husband stayed in hospital full time. It would have been nice if he had gone back to the lodge while I was in the hospital. He would have slept better. 

I don't know if you can have more than one caretaker. 

• MartyJ
    edited August 2014

Pink, in Charleston the Hope Lodge rules are different from NOLA.  Space is very limited at the Charleston Lodge because it is in a combination of 4 early 1900s houses.  

• tlbradyful
    edited August 2014

In New Orleans, two people are permitted at the lodge. If you are in the hospital, you can have two people stay there. Once you are there, you can have only one additional person.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2014

For those of you who either live locally or are traveling to NOLA or Charleston (such as Dr. Massey patients) and need rides to pre-op/post-op appointments, hospital drop off for surgery, treatments, etc., please know that you can receive rides free of charge through the American Cancer Society.  This is for patients with any kind of cancer.  (The patient must be able to walk.)  I was told that they have provided rides for patients and their caregiver to and from airport, too. 

Two years ago, I personally used this ACS service, Road to Recovery, when I had to have one month of daily HBOT treatments (due to severe radiation damage to my breast/chest wall) at a hospital 45 minutes from my home, and my friends and family could only drive me to about half of my daily treatments.  I still could not drive because I had just had bilateral SGAP surgery with drains still in, and on oxycodone.  The two volunteer drivers that I had were so nice to chat with on the drive there and back.  I was hesitant at first about using this service and having strangers drive me, but the strangers turned into friends the moment I got in their car. 

I live in Indianapolis, but can use this service in any city that offers it.  If you are in need of a ride or know of other cancer patients that may, here is the link to the info, and the phone number to call to get registered so the ACS can schedule volunteer drivers.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/road-to-recovery

800-227-2345

One of my volunteer drivers was a retired doctor that I knew from community activities and as a patient of his.  So he really wasn't a stranger to begin with and surprised when he came to my front door.  He drives cancer patients to appointments in his Bentley when weather is good.  A couple of months ago, our local TV news did a segment on him as a volunteer for Road to Recovery to help get the word out that ACS needs more volunteer drivers to help cancer patients.  Volunteer drivers cannot accept money or gifts, but they can write off on taxes.

Here is the news clip for Dr. Bob and a patient he is helping with rides to her treatments.  It's only a few minutes long if interested in viewing. 

http://www.wthr.com/story/26015970/2014/07/14/road-to-recovery

• mary625
    edited August 2014

Just a quick note for everybody...called Hope Lodge to check on my stay around 9/24/14, and they will not call to confirm until 1 week prior.  Maybe this is a new policy.  So everyone will have to have a back-up reservation at a hotel if planning to use Hope Lodge.  

• MartyJ
    edited August 2014

Mary, sounds like the NOLA Hope Lodge is getting busier.  In Charleston, they only accept patients in active treatment.  They like having us recon gals there, but don't have the space.   This is all a challenge!

• MartyJ
    edited August 2014

Ummm, I also learned recently that the ACS has an arrangement with Extended Stay America and can provide free rooms there.  I know of several women who have used that service.  One in Seattle and one here in Charleston.  You might want to talk with ACS again about this program.