Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2010

Jennifer - I love your avatar! I hope they don't charge as much for the juicy perfume as they do for the juicy sweats!!!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited January 2010

Anyone have this happen?

I was going through some EOB's and came across one for a Genzyme Genetics Corp for a immunohistology on 9/11/09....so during my stage 2.  I figured it was for some sort of pathology.  So I called the clinic and sure enough, Dr. Sullivan removed a skin lesion from my hip and sent it in.  Great!  I'm glad he is observant.  I have several skin lesions.  Have for years.

However, I didn't know he did that!  And no one called me with results or sent me the results.  I had them fax me the pathology report and it shows 'atypical benign fibrous histiocytoma'.  All good.  But it also says the margins were not clear and reexcision of the lesion with clear margins is recommended.  I'm a little bummed that no one told me any of this. 

It says they called Stacy on 9/18/09 with the results.  Not life altering by any stretch.  But because of my genetics, I like to be on top of my own health and want copies of all testing and results.  I did and do the same thing with Tre.  You really have to be your own health advocate.

Like I said, I am really thankful that Dr. S sent something in that looked suspicious to him.  But someone should have told me that they did that and provided me with the results.  I will call tomorrow to find out exactly where the lesion was taken from ( I have a pretty good idea ) but want to be 100% sure.  And then I need to decide if I want them to take another chunk out of me.  

I guess that even the best can't be perfect all the time!  They still are the best though!  :)

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited January 2010

I hear you. I had an inframammary node removed during Stage 1. Got an EOB from a pathologist, but it didn't say what they looked at. I ignored it till I got my op report from Dr. Massey. They found the node and it was enlarged and they wanted to rule out mets--of course. But no one ever told me about it. I decided it was just as well--my mind goes into dark corners sometimes, and I know I would have fretted till I heard the results...

What's a little thing to them is so big to us sometimes!

Anne

• Trishia
    edited January 2010

Yep...it's all good, so they are like no big deal.

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2010

Wow, whew, Trishia! So glad that all is well. That is a bit frustrating that a follow up call wasn't placed. Thanks again for the delivery..wink winkWink

Jaimeh and Bayyyy....Prayers and Gentle hugs out to you both!!Laughing

LouAnn!! Yeah...so close now girlfriend!! If you need your nerves calmed down, please call me!! Thinking of you constantly!! xoKiss

I am happy face happy today! lol

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010

Hi everyone.  Trishia, thanks for the answer.  Ya know I'm not gonna worry about it.  Think I just got a bit freaked yesterday buying smaller size bra when I know I'm going to be losing 20 lbs or so.  I'm still going to go for it, and see what happens.  Have always been a weight fluctuator.  Just really need to get into better shape, so I will.  We'll see what happens!

Had to call in sick today....I really feel fine, just hardly any voice....very squeaky, coughing last pm-I sound horrible.....grrr....to MD in the am to get antibiotics for ? sinus infection.  Hoping to go back to work thursday....hate when the body does not cooperate!

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited January 2010

Hi Ladies!

We hit the ground running today.....had to go to FMC for some last minute blood work - great to see the facility (everyone was soooo nice!) - then hit the French Quarter for lunch - waiting on my 4:00 pre-op with Dr. S. - had my phone on vibrate so didn't hear the calls come in from the center wanting to move up the time of my appt - finally got the message and made a dash for the center - met with Dr. S (LOVED HIM!) - had fun with all the gals (they loved my toes)! Back at the hotel now - all marked up and ready for a hot shower - then it's bed time - 4 am wake up call in the morning!! Nervous and excited at the same time - looks like it's time to get this party started!! Thank you all for your well wishes - will give you an update ASAP!!

xoxo

LouAnn

PS - Shelly and Kim re-named Dr. S "Dr. Delicious" - he turned bright red when he found out!! :)

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited January 2010

Good Luck tomorrow LouAnn!

Trisha- Glad the Path report was ok.  Im sorry you didnt get the report.  I think I would want to go back & get clear margins if it was recommended.

Pam

• plainjane64
    edited January 2010

Sounds great Lou Ann, very excited for you!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2010

Dr. Delicious, LOL. Good luck tomorrow LouAnn!!!! Or should I say Boobie toes!!!.

Brenda is coming up!

Bayyyy? Hope you are okay! Jaimie! Same!!!  

Trisha, I hear you - you should have been informed about that lesion!!!  Agreed, that should not have fallen through the cracks. Let us know what you find out after you call them.

• Trishia
    edited January 2010

Dr. S IS Dr. Delicious!!

Good Luck LouAnn!

Jamieh and Bayyy...hope you are are resting and healing and loving your gorgeous outcomes! 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited January 2010

I'm new to this group/thread.  I am in New Orleans currently recovering from a DIEP with Sullivan last week.  What a remarkable experience we had there, after a whirlwind diagnosis and quick decisions.  It truly was peaceful.  I am so grateful to have found them and to have been able to work it out to go. - Christine

• kcshreve
    edited January 2010

I'm new to this group/thread.  I am in New Orleans currently recovering from a DIEP with Sullivan last week.  What a remarkable experience we had there, after a whirlwind diagnosis and quick decisions.  It truly was peaceful.  I am so grateful to have found them and to have been able to work it out to go. - Christine

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2010

Welcome to the forum Christine!

Dr Sullivan was my primary Doc for my delayed bilateral stacked DIEP back in 2007. Love, love ,love the Center peeps for treating us all so well!

You will continue to heal and feel better daily ...theres magic there at St Charles!

gentle hugs,Marcia

• kcshreve
    edited January 2010

I have an appt on Thurs at NOLA, then I'll probably schedule my Stage 2.  I have questions related to Stage 2 - what are the pro's and cons of what is done then?  I had nipple sparing BMX, so I know my breasts will be lifted and general lipo will be done.  Someone mentioned that having an impact on lymph nodes?  I'm realizing I know little about this part of the procedure.  Your input or help would be so appreciated.  - Christine

• kcshreve
    edited January 2010

Another question - I'm a week post Stage 1 and have a variety of colors in drains.  The most bothersome and productive drain is the lower abdominal.  It's still producing very dark fluid, and is the highest producer by a long ways.  I'll have it in for awhile longer.  My question is regarding color - is it related to activity level, or any other thing, or is it more due to it's own pacing and is more random?  Thanks!  - Christine

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited January 2010

Hi Christine,

Welcome, Sounds like you are doing very good 1 week out.  Im not sure about the drain color.

I would call the center & ask.

Mine were a pretty steady red/orange.  Even when my last one came out at 9 weeks- it was still orange : (

Pam

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited January 2010

Just checking in and I wanted to let you ladues know I appreciate yoir prayers and positive thoughs. Lou-Ann DR S finished in 5 hours for me. Sorry for any typos the antineas patch is making me have doulble vision.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited January 2010
    Jaimie!!! How are you??  So glad to see that you posted... even with the typos!!!  Hope you are resting and everything is peaceful and going well!  Laughing
  • Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2010

I've been off this thread for days! Dr. Delicious - OMG! But I think you gals should have come up with a name starting with "S" so as not to confuse him with the other D doc! I guess we'll have to come up with a name for the latter, too. Hmmmm....I'm not going to start that one!

Jaimie - Yeah! I'm so glad you're on the other side of the surgery!

Christine - Welcome! Drain output is definitely related to activity level, don't know about color either, tho. But sounds logical.

LouAnn - Give us some news, girl! And your toes are beyond words!!!! Do you suppose if you flash them on Bourbon that you'll get some beads?! Open-toes sandals when you're feeling better, then wave your feet!

Trishia - Wow, that is really concerning about you not getting that path report! I think you're being very magnanimous about it, but please make a big stink so it NEVER happens again!!!!!! It's hard to remember sometimes that those folks are human.... And hard to do anything but gush. But sometimes bitching is in order!

• Jaimieh
    edited January 2010

Holtbot~ I am feeling pretty good so far but I have not been out of the bed yet.  I will be getting out soon becuase I want the cah. OUT.  I have taken a peak at my new girls but I couldn't see too much because of the double vision.  I can't wait to get up and get moving....So far all pain is contrilled but the cath. is burning.  Honestly besides taking care of things at home so far things have been easy. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2010

Jaimie- I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well! I hate catheters - I'm with you - get it out! So with double vision, do you have 4 new girls?! Quadruplets! Have you heard their heartbeats yet?

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2010

Hi Jaimie!!  Great to hear you are doing fine and no pain.  Your vision should clear soon and you'll be able to see everything.  Congrats on getting to the other side.  We are all anxious to hear as you progress!

Suzanne

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited January 2010

Minnesota. .LOL.. now there's a nightmare I haven't had yet.. waking up with 4!

• Jaimieh
    edited January 2010

So far Minnesota ~ I can only feel 2....lol....  I hope it stays this way :)

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited January 2010

Jamieh  -  so glad to hear your doing good!  An't meds great!  Get that cath out, that's one think I don't like either.  Hope you keep on feeling good!

• plainjane64
    edited January 2010

Way to go Jaimie!  And has anyone said to you in their New Orleans accent "Ya breasts look garate!"  I bet they HAVE!  LOL!  Or "And the breasts, they couldn't be bettah!"

Take those patches off before you get up....or ask your nurse?  And it takes a bit for that stuff to wear off so be patient w/ the blurry, it WILL get better....I think that bothered me more than anything!

So today I saw my family practice doc due to this lingering head cold/sinus infection or???  I still have basically no voice for about 3 or 4 days now.  She wrote me a script for zpak, nasonex, told me to use steam and ordered....get this:  "Voice rest"!  AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh  Torture! and told me not to work until next week since my work does require verbal communication.  THEN  after I proudly showed the new girls to the MD and the med student shadowing her they both proceeded to ask all about the breasts, the reconstruction surgery, etc!......I squeaked out  as much as I could.  She was impressed of course w/ the work, at what I knew, the research I'd done for myself prior and how I made my decisions.  It was funny...I think they both were struck that I was SO happy w/ what I had done....I guess there are a lot of women who are not happy?  It's just SO nice that this GOOD outcome and all you upbeat girlies are MY experience.THANK YOU ALL for that!  I did tell her having contact w/ LOTS of other women who were happy w/ their surgeries, outcomes made a huge difference and was a very important factor in choosing.

OK, I KNOW I'll be back to blab via typing!  Sheesh...I had to e-mail my boss and tell her I'm not coming in the rest of the week because my doctor ordered "voice rest", but my breasts are doing GREAT!'  Now if the rest of my body will cooperate!  Apparently this bug has been making the rounds and my MD has seen lots w/ the voice loss...starts viral, mine may have turned into nasty sinus infection....OK sorry TMI!!!!

Welcome Christine, congratulations!  I am a nipple spared DIEP as well and had stage 2 dec 10th...BUT I was previously radiated on one side. You made a great choice!  The center is great about returning phone calls and answering questions and will be calling you regularly to check on you.

• Trishia
    edited January 2010

Jamieh!!!  I'm so happy you made it out with only 2 breasts and not 4...LOL!!! 

Welcome Christine!

JJ~I was going to call you this week, but now I guess not!   Get well soon. 

• Jaimieh
    edited January 2010

Whooo I am up and sitting in a chair in my room.  After dinner I will start taking laps.  The nurses here could not be more sweet and I am not pressured to do anything, I am getting to go at my own pase :)  My cath. is gone and now I think my breast drains will be gone before I leave.  They are already below 15cc. 

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2010

Jaimieh,  Girl...you sound great!  I am so glad you are up and going and POSTING! SmileI am so happy you have your two new girls (LOL)!  All of the anticipation leading up to surgery is finally over and now you can start concentrating on the recuperation process.  All of the rest of us newbies get to worry about the anticipation part!  May is a long time away for meFrown...but I am sure it will be worth the wait!!!!  Congratulations on your new GIRLS!

Sandy