MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

cookiegal - I always admire your conciseness.

Anyone see Gerard when he was on SNL earlier in the season? He did an amazing "Beast" in a Beauty and the Beast sketch. So make sure you have him SING while he's "doing your laundry..."

Ewwwwwwwwww on the strawberry cheetos. But hmmmmmmmmm on the chocolate covered ones. Perhaps I've found a use for my leftover white cheddar cheeto balls - I served them at my Miss America party, but people brought so many fabulous and evil treats that they were virtually ignored... My daughter is having her quartet come over to practice this week - how hilarious would it be to serve giant white cheddar cheeto balls dipped in chocolate? The key would be to do it with a straight face. I'm known as "Safety Mom" and "Healthy Mom," among other things, so it would be wildly shocking...

• Kleenex

And how lame is my life if THAT is "wildly shocking"?

• queenlurker
    queenlurker Member Posts: 34

kleenex  needed that giggle this am.  Shocking to me would be to do my walking route in the opposite direction-neighborhood would be in an uproar.  What is it that makes our routines so comfy?  By the way, I am assuming that there are no expiration dates on cheeto's?  The laundry man probably has a shorter lifespan.  Have a great day!!!!!! 

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

Chocolate covered cheetos, of what a thought.  Why Japan and not here??  thanks to all on your trip advice.  I am going with my sisters and one is the world's biggest worrier, so she is against doing anything except thrut he cruise line for Safety sake, oh well she is the OLDER sister guess she still has to protect us, hummm might have to remind her of the rotten things she used to do when we shared a room last, or maybe not after all these years I could get back by short sheeting her bed, putting crackers in the sheets, this is going to be fun!!!!!  Wonder if I could get my DH, to do the laundry like Gerard!!!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

My UHC insurance was not going to pay for the Tamoxifen utilization test that I requested of my doctor back in Jan.  However, his staff said that they could write an individual appeal letter if I wanted them to.  (Yes, please!  Besides, you know they probably have a form letter all ready to go.)  Anyway, I got the response today that they have agreed to pay for that test, so I am going to try and get the blood drawn this Friday.  The test is something like $450.

It strikes me as being a little backward that an insurance company would pay $$$ for FIVE YEARS of Tamox. use without blinking an eye, but have qualms about a $450 test to see if it was actually doing me (or any patient!) any good to be taking the drug in the first place.  Tamox. ends up being ineffective in about 10% of women. 

I have now been on the Tamox. for three months, doing o.k. with just some hot flashes.  Not too moody anymore.  I hope I am a high metaboliser.  I have read that high metabolisers have a lower percentage or recurrence than the medium or low metabolisers (although overall survival is statistically the same.)   Yes, I will bore everyone with the details of my results too.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Here in Canada the tests are not done but most of us are put on Tamox for five years anyway.

• elimar

I can't comment much on the more socialized Canadian system of doing things, but I understand that to mean about 10% of women in Canada take something that is not effective for them, even if they may not have to pay for it.  That group is still put at risk for the S/Es of Tamox., yet receive no benefit.  Shouldn't a rebellion be forthcoming?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Elimar, it isn't socilaized medicine, it's universal healthcare. Which means everyone gets it. Free.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

I connected with the PS office this afternoon.  Reconstruction scheduled for June 21st.  Pre-op appointment with the PS on April 21.  Pre-op appointment with the BS on May 14th.  Will find out about pre-op testing about 4 weeks before surgery.  My stomach is doing cartwheels right now so I think I'll pass on the choco-Cheetos for a while.  153 days until I get to be an entire person again! 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I remember the flip flops, particularly this last surgery.  You'll do just fine, NM. 

• elimar

N-Mainer, I can see the big circle on your calendar from here!

Barbe, my meaning was that it is a "more socialized" system than the one in U.S., but perhaps that was a poor choice of words.  Label aside, my point is that EVEN IF Canadian women are not paying the actual cost of five years of Tamox. (which we in the U.S. end up paying a co-pay amount,) the 10% of Canadian women who receive no benefit fom the Tamoxifen are still paying the "price" of risking some serious S/Es all for naught.  Therefore, regardless of system of healthcare, regardless of nationality, I would think that women would be best served KNOWING if Tamox. was actually giving them the clinical benefit, or if they were in that 10% of those it is ineffective for.

• elimar

Oh, and yes, I think there should be all sorts of rebellion right here at home.  I'm trying.  I don't think it is right that I had to "ask" for the utilization test.   I think I should have been informed about testing by the ones prescribing it and I think it should have been offered.  I don't think I should have had an initial refusal from insurance, an appeal letter following, and a month between the two.  I want better care than I have gotten so far, more effective treatment, less risk, and the list goes on. 

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Seriously?

Chocolate covered cheetos??

I am predicting a massive tour to Japan.

xx00xx00xx00xx

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

NM- glad you finally got your date for surgery!

Faithy, hope you are healing and feeling much better, are you still down south?

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Elimar, I love your platform.  Will you run for president please?

Joni

• Kleenex

Isn't Tamoxifen wildly inexpensive now - it's been generic-ed, right? And how many women stick it out for the whole 5 years, vs those who get fed up with side effects or, worse, have a recurrence and start with something new? In addition to which I think the Tamoxifen metabolizing test is allegedly "new," and not everyone buys into the results. So the $450 could be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the actual cost of five years of Tamoxifen... Just sayin'...

Some of this stuff they just "do," because it's standard of care. Drives me nuts. Like starting the every-six-months scans post lumpectomy. Even the technicians said that there's rarely anything that comes up for at least two years (if you had thorough scans before surgery and clear margins), and the radiation damage can make the scans difficult to read. But it's what they do, so they do it. Can you tell I'm due for a follow-up? Number three, I think...

Carollynn79 - so nice to see that you've totally gotten over sharing a room with your sister... My sister is 13 months younger than me ("Irish twins"), and I'm the evil big sister. Muahahahaha! And I'm still a control freak with a slightly-less-visible mean streak towards her... So sad.

Native-mainer - yahoo on getting your dates set!

Now where is my fondue set? Gotta get those cheeto balls dipped.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604

NM....congrats on a surgery date....

choc covered cheetos don't sound good to me...but choc covered pretzels....now thats another thing!!!!

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

You could put cheetos (or doritos) on chocolate chip ice cream.

It's not so bad.

• elimar

Kleenex, I usually suspect the profit motive also, but the price of Tamox. is not that inexpensive.  Good luck on your "scheduled maintenence" mammo.  With a Grade 1 (or even Grade 2) slow-growing cancer, it does seem that if something was even visible on mammo within the first year or two, maybe it was something that they missed getting out in the first place.  I imagine it is easier to say YOU had a recurrence rather than THEY failed to get it all out in the first place.  I'm on a conspiracy theory roll tonight!

Eph3_12, No can do -- too much butt-kissing and the hours stink, but I like the bowling alley in the basement!

• carollynn79

I was making chocolate pudding last night and thought humm, wonder how cheetos dipped in pudding would be, not bad!!!

• Meece

I have contacted DS to request the Choco-Cheetos.  If he can find them, he will send them.  I will keep you posted.

• ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97

Hey middle age friend. I have been so Bummed.I really needed some comfort food, so I may try some of your suggestion. Any thing in Chocolate is good!

I went to My PS Monday Thinking I was going get my Drains out & 1st filler. Well They are still draing & he won't take them out,No filler til both are out. He said jsut call when they are under 25cc . well Today I got more out Iam up to 60cc in one I am going backwards! Ugh.these set back are bring me down!I think I need comfort food. I rthink I going for some Ice ream now.

My 1st Oncolgist, got cancelled because of 7 inches of snow we got tues, But reschelude for this afternoon. Iam neverous!

Hope all of you are doing well .

Hug

Gina R

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604

Gina....sending you a ((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))).  Karen

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322

Elimar, I think that Kleenex may be on to something.  At $10 per month, (which is the "full" price at Target and Wal-Mart, so you know your insurance company isn't paying more than that) 5 full years of Tamoxifen comes out to $600.  If the $450 test shows you to be a poor metabolizer, you are likely switched to an AI at a cost of hundreds of dollars per month since none of them are generic yet.  There is also the cost involved in getting poor metabolizers who are pre-menopausal into menopause so they can take the AI.

The results of that $450 test can open a very expensive can of worms for an insurance company.

• LauraM
    LauraM Member Posts: 41

Gina - Sending lots of hugs and prayers!

• Meece

Gina, don't be nervous, you need to try to get your mind off all of this.  IMHO, when you start stressing, your body starts speeding things up, maybe thats why the increase of output.

• cookiegal

cool video!!!

• carollynn79

Just a reminder the ACS says to remember that dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate,are the cheetos coming from Japan milk or dark, not that it matters don't thinkg being good for you and cheetos can be stated in the same sentance!!!  Make sure you all have some dark chocolate coated cheetos for Valentines Day!!

• cookiegal

OK...here is the plan...some of you domestic divas must have a double boiler for candy making....I say we dip the little bastards our selves...in Cancer fighting dark chocolate.

We can then roll them in pink sprinkles!!!!

Maybe we can make some money here???

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I'm with cookie!