Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

I could send you the first season of six feet under! I cannot bear to part with it permanently, but for sure I will share. I don't do streaming. But, you could have a free one month streaming with an Amazon Prime membership, I think they do that? They might have it, but don't forget your local library, either. Mine has many series, and also a pretty darn good selection of movies. I think you would like a movie called 'little voice', a wonderful movie, and also one called 'Dancer in the dark'.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

What is the streaming difference? We've had ours less than a month. Last Man Standing was just there. Six Feet Under is fabulous as well! We rent a lot from the library too.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338

Hi,

I just joined a couple of days ago. I'm 57, and I certainly didn't expect to be diagnosed with Stage IV right out of the gate. My full story is in the "Post your story" thread in St IV section, so to save space I won't repeat it here. My last scan was in late July, and the spine mets in my lumbar region are getting worse :o(. Going to see the MO today because I'm having way more gastrointestinal drama from the Xeloda and Zometa - had them both together last week, and we probably shouldn't have done that. Taking some medical marijuana for the pain because opioids don't work well for my deep bone pain - they just put me to sleep...but they do help with diarrhea, ha ha, plug you right up.

I am blessed because I can get around on a cane now mostly and only use the walker to help me gently get out of bed. Have to use the wheelchair for really long jaunts at the mall tho. This is a real adventure in patience and perseverance. I'm on disability because of the pain, and I can't stand up for very long, plus I'm not supposed to lift anything because of multiple compression fractures in my spine and ribs. (I wasn't planning on retiring this early because I love my job...been there over 21 years as accounting manager for a construction company). My daughter will be graduating from college next year, and my husband and I had "hoped" to do some traveling. Guess that's on hold until we can get this cancer mess stabilized.

Blessings to you all, (That's me before I chopped my hair off....I'm going to cane the pants off my effin' cancer!)

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Welcome, LIta57! Cane away freely at that cancer because we all hate it so much; please crack it a good one or several hundred for us too! I can imagine how nasty the Xeloda is (I really can, because I had about 6 mos. of 5-FU infusions myself, and that is what your body turns your Xeloda into.) Everything tastes like crap, then it turns into actual crap making for some of the most unholy bathroom experiences you ever want to have. It is a pretty decent drug for getting the bone mets in line tho'. I hope it can stabilize you and that you can get a reduction in the bone pain. Did you have any trouble with hand/foot syndrome on the Xeloda?

• Lita57

Yes indeed, elimar, I certainly have had my hands full with H/F syndrome...pun intended ;). My hands are doing a little better - since I'm off cycle this week - but my DD says my feet need to stay covered up in cotton socks because they look like I have leprosy. "Working Hands" cream and extra virgin coconut oil help a lot. I alternate them and put cotton gloves and socks on to sleep. I have to take my socks off over a waste paper bin because as I peel the socks off, all the dead skin comes off, and I'm tired of sweeping the floor every time I change socks.

Hoping the Zometa will help w/the back pain. I also have a lot of tumors in the muscles near the spine. This is so much fun.

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Short notice pocket party! Stent is a failure 😢. Having emergency surgery in 2 hours. Getting the back drain with the bag

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Dianarose, I'm sure you wrote that quickly right before heading off, so you probably won't get to know in advance that we will all be coming along for the ride, and if you check your pockets right before getting into your gown and you will see we are all there with you. May that surgery go as planned, no...even better than planned! As one who lived the "bag lifestyle" (different bag, but whatever) I can tell you that it sucks, of course. I can also tell you it is not the end of the world and it does not take long to master the skill set relating to it. I will be watching over the weekend for your update. Good Luck today!

• barbe1958

Was hoping to hear from you today, Dianarose, but not with this news! I pray your pain is gone with the bag and things can start to heal while a new plan is put into place. Gentle hugs, sweetie, no one deserves this. Sad

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Dianarose, thinking of you and I am so sorry you are going through this

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

ugh Dianarose! Update when you can girl!

Lita57, welcome to the best thread on the internet!

• Dianarose

Things went well. After prep it took 5 minutes. Was awake and went home after. Kidney is doing the happy dance😎 One more to go. On Monday I go in to get this dam stent removed.

El- the bag is so much better then the pain

• barbe1958

But I thought they WERE taking the stent out today and then putting the bag in....?

• Dianarose

Barbe- the radiologist did the tube and doesn't do stents. I was bummed out. So back I go on Monday and under general again😖. Just pull it out quick and let me go home! After seeing what was coming out of my kidney we pretty much can assume the stent is clogged. Chunks of clots and tissue that could never fit thru it. The bag was full in ten minutes. Looked like lumpy mud. Getting clearer now but still has blood and probably will until the stent comes out. My friend brought us over supper. I was actually hungry and it was awesome

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

So glad it worked, Diane.

• barbe1958

So glad youre already feeling better!! Was part of the crud infection? You'd think they'd coordinate the procedures!!

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Diana: Glad to hear everything went well for you...Have a comfortable week-end...Hopefully this nightmare will be over for you on Monday...Is a stent normally used for this, or is this something new? I would never be able to have stents because I'm allergic to metal.

• Dianarose

Loral- the stent is plastic. They should have known it was not going to work because the problem at been ongoing for months and the urine would not be clear. It was like mud with chucks of tissue and clots.Stent worked for one day. I am sure it is right clogged.

• loral

Diana- yes I read about them getting clogged they actually expect that to happen if left in over 3 months. Soon this ordeal will be over for you...Take Care!

I wasn't sure about material, because I know of Cardiac stents being metal...

• barbe1958

I can't see how a tube/drain will drain better than a stent which is wider...?

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Glad to hear that you are beginning to feel better Diana! You've had a rough go of late - healing vibes coming your way.

Welcome Lita57 - Perhaps we could all borrow your cane and take a virtual crack at this damn disease! You could bring it to the next pocket party and we could pass it around and take a swing at the cancer piñata.

• Dianarose

Barbe- the drain tube is so much larger then the stent. It is like the drain tubes after a mastectomy . The stent is no bigger then a coffee stirrer. Just so nice not to be in pain

• Dianarose

Barbe- I didn't see the tube part that comes out of my back until just now. You are right, it is small lo

• Lita57

Dianarose - What an ordeal! Sending healing vibes your way.

• barbe1958

My stent seemed fairly wide, but I don't know what the interior diameter was so I have no idea. Glad it's working out for you. How is your back handling all this?

• Dianarose

Barbe- my back is ok. The amount of blood in my urine is scary though. Maybe once the stent is out it will clear up. On a positive note I don't have to get up in the night to pee because half is in the bag lol. Constipation is my big problem right now. Have tried everything and nothing is working. I think castor oil is next 😖

• barbe1958

Dianarose, I am an expert on constipation as I have been on narcotics for almost 10 years now. You MUST take a stool softener if you are constipated more than a day. There is no point taking a laxative if you are all bunged up. Seriously. With narcotics you get what is known as "narcotic gut" which means my gut doesn't "pulse" to move stool along. So I have to keep my stool soft (it doesn't become diarrhea or anything like that) so it can get out. So a combination of a stool softener AND a laxative like Sennokot-S is what you need. I take it every single day and my body doesn't get "addicted" to it like it would a chemical laxative as this is all natural. Right now I take 2 a day as I have recently doubled my pain meds.

Also, as I don't drink coffee every day, I can use that as a laxative. Sometimes I just have to take the lid off and smell the coffee and I'm good to go.

• kkuziel
    kkuziel Member Posts: 77

Dianarose, so sorry to her of your difficulties. And we all thought cancer was the worst thing we could deal with. Little reminders that there are a host of issues that people are dealing with. No one escapes the ravages of people human I guess. Hope you recover quickly and are free of pain soon.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,310

DianaRose - I second Barbe suggestion for Senecot-S. There a great thread about constipation on this site. Some good suggestions and also some humor.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/...

• Dianarose

Barbe-I just took 2👍. Hope it works. I am a coffee drinker but it has never effected me that way. Seems light one problem leads to another. My daughter said I should tell them I don't want to be completely out to remove the stent and that the twilight stuff should be enough. Having IV's put in every few days is getting old too. Oncologist says he doesn't want to do chemotherapy now and is suggesting removing the lymph nodes or radiation. Just wondering how they can map me for radiation when they can only be seen on the ct scan

• loral

Dianarose: I take a stool softener and 2 Swiss Kriss Herbal Laxatives together, works like a charm....(Aren't you glad you told us)Loopy