Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Been a scary week! Went to cancer cancer Wednesday. Platelets and blood work so bad doc said she can't figure it out. Gave me chemo then next day transfusion of two pints. Went back Friday. She said they didn't know how much time I had left. It was all worse. Appears my immune system was attacking itself and committing suiside. Said she could only find 8 other documented cases. Stayed late and did two other types of chemo. Was tough. Went back yesterday and blood work is still a mess but platelets went from 38-43. Not much but right direction. Whatever went crazy was about 3 weeks ago and it was before any chemo. They don't think it was from the cancer. I had the port put in and the biopsy. They think it could have been a medication that was reintroduced to my body such as the bactrim or even the Letrozole. I am trying to hang in there but at the same time was basically told to get my affairs in order.,it's been so emotional 😭. My daughter is here and has been a great help. I go back tomorrow to check blood platelets again and another transfusion. I have never bee back so terrified as I have this past weeek. Hard to fight what we don't know we are fighting. I really need prayers

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Diana...praying that things turn around for you..it is possible that all the new drugs entering in your blood system is causing the drastic changes.

• loral

Eli- I just watched a documentary on PBS about Giraffes...Sweet!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Dianarose, You got some extreme good news/bad news going on there. While it is good news that it is not actually the BC running amok, it's not good news that they are so stumped by what is going on with you. Maybe with your platelet count rising, your body is starting to sort it out. You are not mentioning it, but can you eat now or is it still liquid/puree diet? You need some fuel to get your body through this. Glad you have the extra support of your daughter being there with you.

Barbe, My eyes aren't that great, but your scar is practically invisible. Will hope for the same.

Have a bunch of errands today. Hunting for a good concealing turtleneck to wear over the now cranberry-colored blotch.

• Dianarose

el- I ate some ribeye last night. Was heavenly! Tiny, tiny pieces of cours

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

You have been in my prayers every day Diana...it's working so far! Impressed that they'd let you eat meat when you've been on a liquid diet.

E your scar will fade too though it seems hard to believe now.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338

Diana - MAJOR prayers your way!!!

Barbe - You look FABULOUS! I've lost about 38 pounds since Dx, and my wrinkles are REALLY prominent now. That's why I'm sharing my avatar with Thomas the Tank Engine.

L

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908

Praying for you, Diana.

• elimar

America, the country that gives you a constitutional right to cast your vote in secret ballot fashion yet that still has had the phones ringing 24/7 for the last month with people trying to get you to disclose that information to them. I think that is so hilarious.

• loral

Image result for vote it matters

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

OK-1st, may the odds be ever in your favor! For all of us. No matter the outcome of anything!!!!!!!

Dianarose, girl, I am praying for your spirit, your health, your mind, your peace, your family. Please know that you are one of my favorites and I am so rooting for you!

E~I too am jealous of your non-creased, non wattle neck! Hope you found the perfect cover-up.

I collected giraffes for years. At one point I think I had about 200 of them, but damn-lots of dusting. Someone I knew, knew someone who was ill who loved giraffes so I donated my entire collection. Kept a few favs, but sent them to live elsewhere. I think that picture might be from a preserve in Africa where you can stay and eat with the giraffes-How cool would that be?

May the Force be with us!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

El, I guess you got the giraffes up there, because, necks? Gosh what long throats they have? Do giraffes have troubles like yours? If they even have a thyroid or parathyroid, is it at the top or the bottom?

Is any body as scared as I was when I woke up today, about the possible outcome of only less than 50% of qualified voters voting?!? I have never been this worried about an outcome...

Dianarose, keeping you in my thoughts, and hope your blood work straightens itself out, all the way! 100%!!!

• Tomboy

Barbe you are gorgeous.

• Dianarose

Just popping in for a minute. Platelets up to 56. Were 34 then 43. So it's slow but it's the right direction. Had two pints of blood for lunch again. Really need to find a new restaurant 😜.

Love you all and thanks for the prayers. Keep them coming!!!!

• barbe1958

Thanks Tomboy that made my day!

Diana rose you are a validation of the power of prayer.

• Tomboy

Go, Di !

Watchin' the results through parted fingers, bloody chewed ones at that.. Canada is sounding good

• elimar

Two-party divisionist politics will always result in a country with about half of the people walking around angry and upset a good portion of the time. Whenever I am in large crowded rooms, or in public forums (like here, for example) I remind myself of that.

• loral

Elimar....agree!!!!

• Dianarose

Going for echocardiogram this morning because she wants to do Taxol and A/C. I am very nervous because the A/C lowers platelets and red cells.

Chemo sensitivity tests are not back. Seems like everything takes forever 😜. Hate to do the wrong chemo then have to switch.

El. Glad you are getting better each time I read your post.

Again, thanks for all the prayers and keep them coming

• barbe1958

That test IS taking a long time!!!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,307

Just had to share that I went out for a huge, late lunch - so supper was 2 large cups of Cheetos. I haven't had any in maybe a year, but had a bag hiding on top of the fridge for the last couple of months. Um, um, um... You ladies will certainly understand - not to mention the orange fingers.

Hope DianaRose is getting some answers and Eli is feeling perkier and found at least a mock turtle.

• elimar

I haven't mentioned our erstwhile favorite snack food in a while, but I gave out the Cheetos mini bags for Halloween, making sure there would be some "overage" for my own snacking desires.

I pulled the steri-strip off today---yep, it's crooked, just like I suspected. Do you think surgeons give better scars to their "favorites." Mine's pretty crooked. What does that mean, I wonder? I didn't smell alcohol on the surgeons breath. (Believe me, I checked...)

• minustwo

Eli - did you say they used only tape & glue & steri strips on the surface? That's what the doc used when they took out my port in July - stitches only on the lower layers. I was really unhappy with what I thought were jagged edges, but it's smoothed down quite a bit. However I didn't follow the "rule" about no surgery in July when the new class of residents is just starting their "practice".

So the conundrum - do we opt for the first surgery of the day when the docs should be fresh & clear headed? Or do we worry that they were out partying the night before?

• minustwo

So sorry to hear about David Cohen's death. Tomboy - didn't you used to have a tag line of his posted - '...there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.'

• Dianarose

Off for blood work and chemo this morning. Not sure which ones I will be getting. I suppose my blood work will determine that. The hardest part is sitting there for five hours

• barbe1958

How did it go Dianarose??

• Dianarose

platelets up to 65. Need to get to 150 but we are crawling in the right direction. Bilirubin Dow to one 👍 And hemoglobin is at 8.9 . Got all three chemos and no transfusion 😊. Go Monday to check blood and possible transfusion. We are on the right track! Everyone's prayers are working. Thanks 🙏 keep them com

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617

Dianarose, I've read so many of your posts since we both started in 2012. Always loved your stories of your pastry. I'm so sorry that you are in this very rough spot right now. It sounds as though things are going in the right direction. Hope you build some mire red blood cells and platelets over the weekend

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908

Still in my prayers, Diana. So glad things are moving in the right direction!

• elimar
    Dianarose, Glad to hear the platelets are inching up in the right direction. Three chemos? That has got to knock you for a loop! I hope you have a restful weekend planned so you can be ready for whatever on Monday.

MT, My incision was closed with only surgical glue and steri-strips. It looks puckery in two places to me, but I think it will flatten out over time. Going to massage it and keep it out of the sun to get it as invisible as I can. BTW, I did ask if my surgeon was a Cubs fan...because I had my surgery the first thing the day after they won the World Series. Luckily, he was not. So what does that say then...he was clear-eyed yet still cut a crooked line. Pffft!

image Not liking this look, but it's only been a week. The crookedness bothers me.