MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• chrisct
    chrisct Member Posts: 310

LOL - 3x body weight.  That reminds me of when I was pregnant and the ob/gyn told me I'd better watch my weight because I was on track for gaining 60 pounds ( I showed him - I gained only 58!).  He said I needed only an additional 300  calories a day.  I said - "Oh - I thought it was 3000!"  Kidding of course - but that's probably what I was actually doing!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Ladies, at the invitation of our gracious hostess, Elimar, I am posting this link to a weightloss support thread.  Stop by an check it out, but our weights are our secrets. Wink    

The E-LAB Project

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

So far so good, had my mammo today and was told by the Wellness clinic that it is looking good, I see the Radiation Oncologist to review Wednsday, bone scan was in the normal range, had blood work and EKG for surgery next week.  Cheetos and E-LAB, oh well I need the motivation from all so we can just talk about cheetos. 

• Overcomer3
    Overcomer3 Member Posts: 1

Hi Deb and everyone else,

This is my first post, I hope I get it right.

It is overwhelming at first, way too much information and a lot  decisions to make.You go from sad to mad, to guilty etc... .  Then I had to settle down and take it one thing  at a time. Then I started to feel a little "normal".  The new normal.

• Meece

Welcome, Overcomer.  There isn't much here that you can get wrong.  Your first post came through just fine!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Welcome, overcomer!  Sounds to me like you are reacting just as expected--with every emotion under the son in waves and sequences.  We all know that feeling--some of us are still doing the emotional rollercoaster.  You can say anything here and not upset anyone, and get lots of support. 

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Hi overcomer-that's a great screen name!  Welcome to life @ BCO-sorry you have to be here but glad you found us.

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842

Hugs to you Overcomer.  You found the right place for compassion, support, education and even humor.  Take one day at a time and come back often.  These women are true miracles

Navy

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Hi Overcomer. I too love the name! 

Does anyone else have this happen? Your watching the news and they say "big news on BC coming up." So you wait and wait, only to hears some old fart doc. tell you his ideas on B.C. treatment. I was so down after he said that all Triple negs. should have double MX when my PROFESSIONALS never even bought it up. This guy on the news was a general surgeon, not a breast doctor. I wanted to reach out and shake him. Thanks alot a-hole for the super scare. Like we need to hear half witted "pros." sending out such vague suggestions. 
    Okay off to send MHO to Fox News. I'm sure to feel much better after venting to them. 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Overcomer3, I see you have gotten a warm welcome already, but I will add mine also.  Girl, howdy!  Always happy to meet someone new, and sad at the same time.  Let us know what your treatment plan is.  What surgery have you had?  Are you having any chemo right now? 

--------------

Yes, we have gotten a lot more discerning about what those "t.v. doctors" are telling us.  It bugs me when they make sweeping general statements.  Those are generally not very good at all, since we all know that cancer can be very individualized, and the blanket statements are sometimes way off the mark.

• Meece

It's like the panel that recommends that no Mammos for younger women, had no breast surgeons or oncologists on it.  Right?

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

I wonder if that panel had any WOMEN on it? 

• Ainm
    Ainm Member Posts: 362

Have you noticed how every tv programme including sit coms etc now all seem to have a token cancer patient in them????

My husband calls it the red car syndrome - you decide to buy a new car and you chose red because it's not a very common colour (insert most uncommon car colour in your area in place of red)  then once you you get your car every second car that passes seems to be red!!!

I guess I just never noticed how common it was to have a token cancer patient in programmes before I had it myself!!

• elimar

Do I detect a little cynicism around here?  I have just one thing to say about that...

Welcome to the Snark Side Pictures, Images and Photos

That goes double for your comment, NM!   ROFLOLPIP!  (...last part is "peeing in pants!")

• Meece

I think I saw an interview with a "woman" who was on the panel, sort of reminded me of Janet Reno, not very feminine at all.  In fact cuold have been a man impersonating a woman who who relate to the female that they were going to deny treatment/testing for.

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

Ainm....it's interesting they rarely mention Barb's cancer on Big Love anymore, even though that lead to "the principal". But I kind of love that they have the villan cancer lady with the bad wig, you don't see many cancer villans.

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

Oh on the topic, Celia can be sort of a villan in Weeds I guess.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Ooooooh. Cancer villan. Love that concept.

Also love the "Janet Reno type" comment. Remember when Will Farrell did her on Saturday Night Live? In the blue suit? SO feminine.

• cargiver
    cargiver Member Posts: 6

Hi ladies

I had  one of my beast taken off  on Jan. 7 and  now I am just starting to feel like I am getting back to my  normal self. Tomorrow I have to start taking Novo-tamoxifen as anyone taken this drug before I am kind of worried for there are all kind  of side affix from taking it.

• elimar
    cargiver, your chances of having a serious side-effect are VERY low.  Just read the literature to know the signs of something serious.  Mainly, almost all women get HOT-FLASHES, at least in the beginning.  I began to take it in mid-Nov., had the flashes, but by February, I was having almost none at all.   Some pre-menopausal women do get Tamox-i-pause, but not all.  Most of us here were willing to give the Tamox a try, and I think most have tolerated it well and were able to stay on it.  Good Luck.  Don't be afraid to give it a try.
  • elimar

Oh-oh-oh, all the Middies seem to be elsewhere.  They are busy getting a weigh-in on the E-LAB thread and confessing all their snacking indisgressions.  To do my part I will have to put a bag-clip on the Cheetos and hide them for a while. 

I hope diet and exercise will still get mentioned on this thread.  I try to walk a few times a week, and I have to say I have always found it a pretty boring thing to do, but plain old walking has been linked to greater survival in breast cancer patients.  Just 1-3 hours a week of walking at a decent pace.  It is supposed to be especially true for women with hormone receptor positive cancers.  

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

Walking is my favorite form of exercise and now that the weather is getting better I hope to walk more.  Will have to take a week or so out after surgery next week but after that I hope all the support here and on E-LAB will keep me motivated!!

Got a good report yesterday from my first follow up Mammo YEA!!!  He noticed it is still red and has some like textured skin , he told me to do a gentle massage 1-2 times  a day using Aloe or my favorite mild cream and it will help break down the hard spots from the treatment and surgery.

Question, has anyone noticed that their finger nails have lines running up and down in the them?  Mine used to be smooth and don't knwo if it means anything, could be thyroid connected maybe too.  Well I have 15 minutes leeft of my lunch so wil step outside into the nice weather and take a littel walk!!  Have a great day all.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

carollynn...I have that condition because of chemo or the Herceptin. It got little better in time at least they dont break from the middle anymore.

Sheila

• elimar

I would like to know about the ridges on figernails too.  I thought the ridges were an age thing, but I know it can be nutritional as well.  What is the story about those ridges?

carollynn79, some of those hard spots you feel could still be internal stitches.  When they get encapsulated by scar tissue, they don't disolve away, or at least they are very slow to do so.  Massage (gently) right on the hard spots that you can feel.  I had a couple physical therapy massages, and that's what the PT did.  Also, she put downward pressure on my scar area, then stretched it first to one side, then to the other. 

• Meece

I thought the ridges were an age thing as well, I remember my grandmothers nails looking like that, and I have it to a degree.

I have a couple of stitches that haven't disolved yet, and at my PS appt. yesterday he said the same thing, message them to get them to go away.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I've been massaging a bump for over a year now and nothing! It's still there like a little bb under the skin.

As for the nails, I was told by a rheumatologist that it is a sign of arthritis. Who knows...

• sheila888
  • Ainm
    Ainm Member Posts: 362

I connected the nail problems to chemo. And I've been massaging my port scar forever and it's still red and lumpy and sometimes it aches and sometimes it stings like heck!!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Not that I'm glad you are having those pains at your port site, but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one dealing with those pains & shooters.

• sheila888

My port scar always remained red and bumpy.

Sometimes it gets very itchy. Its been 3 years since it came out.

I got liquid vitamin E but only used it few times. They say it helps.

Sheila