MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Eph3_12, I see you are showing off your hair growth in your avatar now.  Looks good, but please tell me that is a shadow on the top, and not a bald spot like a monk.

Chemo ladies, which is worse...no hair in the cold winter or the sun-burny summer?  I guess a cover-up of some sort is called for in either situation.  And yes, I know that is a slightly trivial issue compared to dealing with the whole body feeling of chemo, but I was just wondering.

My mom never lost her hair, but it thinned to about half.  She had a port that was in for a year.  It was removed last July and her scar is flat and hard to see now.  Her skin over it was so thin, it looked like it would break thru' on its own right before she had it out.  Eeek!

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

I had a harder time with no hair in the cold weather.  Of course our summer wasn't very warm last year so hard telling.  I'd rather be too hot than too cold.

I'm relieved (but not happy) to hear that some of you still have soreness and bumpiness at the port site.  I've had a harder time with that healing than the mastectomy scar!  It hurts and sometimes stings.  I'll try to massage some lotion into it and see if that helps.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I had no hair in both the Winter and the summer.  I would say the Summer was worse because covering your head was just HOT!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I agree with Meece. And no bald spots now on my poodly curly hair!

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

I just want to chime in about dry skin, since BC and no estrogen my skin looks like I am in my 80's and I have done everything to correct it, i.e. lotions, fish oil caps, vitamins etc. I just hate it and my nails have ridges too (:  Anyone know how to make the skin more supple or youthful when you don't have any estrogen??

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

I really don't like the estrogen-deprived skin look or feeling, either.  I use jojoba oil at least once a day, which makes the dry skin feel better, more supple, but I'm not sure it makes it look any better.  Jojoba oil seems to be absorbed pretty quickly, doesn't feel greasy or oily, and has very little odor.  I like adding some essential oils to the oil for different smells.  My favorite is a combination of begamot, jasmine absolut and cedarwood.  Not sure how much good it's really doing, but I like the feel and the playing with essential oils it lets me do, so that's something I suppose.

• Meece

I was never a lotion person, and had many bottles sitting around.  Now I seem to be addicted to it, especially on my hands, and I use moisurizer on my face as much as I can.  Maybe I am jst aging.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

I've always had dry skin but now it crazy dry. I can't use any soap on my face or it gets so dry it peels. I've found that Aveeno baby wash/lotion works pretty well. I actually take Aquaphor and put that on my face at night. Vicks vapor rub on my feet ans socks. Doc. said that would also help keep fungus off the feet. Who wants fungus feet? Not I!! 

Special request please:
    Sis, who has stage 2 MS and a recent hystorectomy is back in the hospital with a bowel blockage. She just started some really mean and nasty MS drug, which is almost like low dose Chemo. when it comes to SE. This gal has been through so much this year and yet is always there for Mom and I. If your the praying type, please send one up for her. Thanks.

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

I just wanted to jump in here, and say one of my drain scars is STILL bothering me after nearly 7 years.

It is still red and bumpy, and it itches like hell, and I CAN'T REACH IT !!! I run round in circles looking for my scratching stick to reach behind my arm ! I thought it was because it was in about 5 months. The fluid just would not stop flowing, and the tube 'grew' into my back eeewwww, no-one could shift it by just pulling on it, or at least I wouldn't let them tug at me....so I had to have a full anaesthetic to shift it. 

Isabella.

• elimar

Isabella4, That is really weird and annoying to have it persist that long.  I can picture you with your stick.  I have a back scratcher to get after my dry-Winter-skin on my back every now and then.  I wonder if Mederma scar creme would do your itchy scar any good?  You would have to have an accomplice to apply it for you

I hope ReginaR will look in and read your post.  She's having the never-ending drain flow, but I don't think she's up to 5 mos. yet. (She was posting at the end of Feb.)

P-Mom, you got it!  I truly hope there is such a thing as "good karma."  When a loved one is so giving, they should have some of that coming their way too.

• carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135

PauldingMom - sending prayers up for your sis.  I hope she gets some relief soon.

I had no hair in the summer and since I'm always cold I think that was a better option for me.  But there are so many cute winter hats that look warm as well, so maybe that would be easier.

• elimar

Not like I really have a saga to follow, but remember back in January (around the time I got my bone density and Vit. D tested) when I had my Tamoxifen utilization test (the CYP2D6?)  Weeeellll, with other things demanding my attention, I had dropped the ball about getting the results until today...and good news for me, I am an "extensive metaboliser."  So, my body can really put the Tamox. to work, yay! 

Statistically, it doesn't make an actual difference in overall survival compared to moderate or low metabolisers, however, the extensive metabolisers have the lowest percentage of recurrence.  That's music to my ears!

jump for joy Pictures, Images and Photos

• ksquare
    ksquare Member Posts: 1
    It is very appropriate that there is an age related group.  My wife was 63 when she was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She was also retired and an empty nester.  I wrote a book about her "adventure" (her words) entitled, It Was a Privilege to Care for Her."  You can read more on my blog http://itwasaprivilege.wordpress.com
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Hooray Elimar!  Glad you can metabolize with the best of them!  That's great news.........

• ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97

Hey, Been In Hospital since march 5th (1 week) . I woke up so sick last Friday on My  Sarah  sweet 16th Birthday, I really didn't want to go to the Doctor,( cause of Sarah b-day) but I knew something was wrong.  They put me in  Hospital Rt breast infection &  started me on Strong  Iv antibiotics  WBC (white blood count) was  4 times higher  than normal, After 2 days Iv blew all veins in left( I can't have any stick rt arm because of mastectomy) They put a Picc line in & cont. antibotices, My WBC count came down slowly. Tues They took back to surgery. The infection was so bad that they could not replace The tissue expander & surgeon could only clean out all infection & close me back up. I am so depreseed. The breast looks awful &  Cocaved & deformed & That why I wanted reconstruction so it would look normal. I can even look at it with out crying. Now I have another drain from this surgery! Lots of pain!  Please  pray I can get thur this because I am not sure I have any strength left in me! Have a good weekend! Love Gina

• Meece

Prayers for you, Gina.n  So sorry that you have had this set back.

• carolinachick

So sorry to hear about your infection, Gina.  I pray that things will clear up quickly so that you can continue on with your expansion. 

• elimar
    ReginaR, was hoping for better news from you.  So sorry it was an infection.  I'd be crying too.  Hope they gave you something for the pain.  I have heard of this happening and the expander being taken out, but I think in every case the woman was able to go ahead with the recon. once all had healed. 
  • carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

Prayers are with you Gina, so sorry you have to go thru this.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Prayers for a quick recovery Regina.

• ReginaR

Thank you all so much! You have no Ideal what reading your post has done to cheer me up. Althou I am crying while I am typing this!But knowing you are there is so comforting.

I am very emotional now & hope this will past, I am not sure if it because I am now back to square one & have to heal for 3-6 months before reconstruction can start agin ,I don't even know if i want go thur it again Or if that fact of looking at this ugly deformed breast or if it The Tamoxifen. I see my Plastic Surgeon on Monday & onocolgist on tues. so maybe I 'll get some answer, but I think  you all can help me more than the Doctors can & have! You all are so great!

PS I have a ? My back of calf are so sore, so I am not sure if I develope blood clots from being in the hospital a week in bed Or it the tamoxifen doing it to my back calfs. any body else going thur this On T?

Hugs to all my sweet pink pals!  Thank you again xoxox

Gina

Regina Robinson
  • elimar

Since we had been writing about chemo-dry and Winter-dry skin, I found a nice scaly image for the top of the page.  I also have one more tip that should help.  If you go in a tub bath, add 1 cup of vinegar into the water.  If you shower, and want to try it, mix up a 10:1 solution in a plastic pitcher and pour it on as your final rinse, or you can use a washcloth to apply. 

The healthy skin surface is slightly acidic.  It's called the "acid mantle."  Soap washes that away.  Chemo and rads mess that up too.  So, even tho' you may end up with the slight odor of a house salad, your skin will like the acidity of the vinegar solution.   Just use WHITE vinegar---the red wine vinegar or balsamic will really make you salad-y!!!

I use this as a final rinse on my hair.  (Don't let it get in the eyes.)  It combats dry Winter scalp, plus it makes the cuticle of the hair lay down flat and that makes the hair more reflective and shiny.  

• elimar

ReginaR, If it's both calves, it may be the bed rest, muscles & ligaments shortening.  Try gentle stretching.  If it is just one, that could be a danger sign.  Do not massage it, not yet.  You don't want to dislodge any clots.  I'd bring it up with BOTH doctors you will be seeing.   If it's nothing serious, then you can massage and use moist heat packs, or the doctors could suggest something else. 

If it is like cramping, take some magnesium.  That relaxes the muscles.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Love the Java Dragon--he looks just like I feel today! 

Regina, I know it's hard to be back at square one with reconstruction.  And the anesthesia and everything else still has your emotions stirred up, add in tamoxifen and it's no wonder you're feeling a bit roller-coastery emotionally!  For now, concentrate on taking good care of yourself and getting healed up and getting completely rid of the infection.  When things settle out a bit, in a few weeks, you can decide then if you want to keep going with recon, wait a while, or change your mind altogether.  I second elimar's comment--if both calves are sore it's probably an aftereffect of bed rest, if it;s just one, and if that calf is warm or red or swollen, you should call one of your docs and probably be seen in the ER.  If it is a blood clot the quicker treatment gets started the quicker it all goes away.  

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

E I love the dragon too, does he have bad coffee breath?

I am going to try the vinegar for the dry flakey skin. I used to do the vinegar rinse on my hair and I will give that a try too, thanks for the tip.We had a NYC gtg yesterday and it was fun despite the baby hurricane that was blowing us all around and made us look like survivors of the Titanic.

Hope everyone had a fun or at least restful weekend.

• ReginaR

An Irish Prayer: May God give you... For every storm, a rainbow, For every tear, a smile, For every care, a promise, And a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, A faithful friend to share, For every sigh, a sweet song, And an answer for each prayer.An Irish Prayer: May God give you... For every storm, a rainbow, For every tear, a smile, For every care, a promise, And a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, A faithful friend to share, For every sigh, a sweet song, And an answer for each prayers.  

Thanks to  each of you for all the postive post!  I appreciate all of you! xoxox

Just a quick up -date. Saw surgeon Monday, he pull drain, but if any fluid build up, he will have to Aspirate , so I hope the swelling stay down ,still having lots of Incision pain . Tues I saw Oncologist & they did lots of Lab work, to try to find why I have No Energy & I am so weak ( they say it because it only been 1 week post-op ), My labs were mostly ok except still low on iron & calicum, Treat anemic with Women Vits & still on Antibotic for Infection. I havn't been able to walk well since Sun, Rt leg  Pain  to back of calf.,My oncologist sent me to Hospital for Doppler/ultra sound rt lower leg to rule out Blood clot. It was Negative -Yea, But I still limping & we think it is  the Tamoxifen I 've been taking since Feb 12,, so My Doctors taken me off for 1 month to see if the symptons may go away, weakness & fatique & muscle pain -( all side effect from tamoxifen-ugh) This way I can concentrate on geetting over the  surgery & Infection & try to get back to being me again. I havn't felt  human in a long time.It really hard to get up & move with out hurting & & still hard to look at the ugly Incision.I just want feel like Gina again!

!Thniking of all you each day! & Praying  you all are healthy & resting & feeling stronger every day!    Have a great St  Patrick's days my Middle age pink pals & friend!  ((( hugs))) Gina

• carolinachick

(((((HUGS, Gina!)))))

• elimar

ReginaR, just having low iron can make you feel low energy.  Your leg sound pretty bad if it is making you limp.  I'm glad you had the Doppler, just to rule out a clot.  Rest up.

My computer time, lately, has been devoted to college websites, getting last minute info. for my h.s. senior who needs to make his decision soon.  I have been feeling better than ever, and I am not even getting hot flashes from the Tamox. anymore.  Still feel like I could use more energy (but that is probably middle age.  Grrrrr!)

Happy St. Patrick's Day to All...non-Irish...Protestants...Everyone!

HAPPY ST.PATRICKS DAY Pictures, Images and Photos

Was I the only one to get a irresistable craving for Lucky Charms this morning?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

{{{{{{{{{{{ Gina }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• kathimdgd
    kathimdgd Member Posts: 84

Ezscriibe,

Yes hot flashes will return even if you're done with menopause.I was 70 when i had my BMX,and once chemo started,hot flashes returned with a vengence,worse than when i had them the first time.I had my surgery in 2008 and chemo in 2008-2009 and still have hot flashes from time to time.I sleep with a ceiling fan going and an oscillating fan and the window open,all night,every night.They also happen during the day.Oh JOY,right?? LOL,LOL

What does the "F" stand for in PFC?? Does it mean what i think it does?? You can tell i don't text,as i don't know the lingo!!

Kathi