MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Oh, I love the Lowe's trips.  DH laughs because I get upset if he goes to Harbor Freight without me!

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

Oh yes I have my garden supply list, onion sets, radish seeds, twine ties, potting soil.  Did you catch that food Suz, wish I was closer you could come pick it up.

• Meece

To bad you don't have a strong arm, that sounds yummy and wouldn't mind catching some myself!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Hey Middies, here's the sad truth about our struggles with weight and/or middle-aged belly fat.  (Not for the faint of heart of those prone to weeping openly.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100323/ap_on_he_me/us_med_middle_aged_spread

Just when I felt so good about that "walking to prevent recurrent BC" which advised 30 minutes several times a week.  Now this!   I usually only do about 2 miles in 40-45 minutes.  No wonder my belly fat was being so stubborn!  Crap!

Here's an excerpt:  "You can eat a candy bar in two minutes. Most are at least 200 calories, and to burn that off requires walking for about an hour."

I can polish off a Hershey bar in under a minute.  Who's crying now?

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

OK, if it's SO hard to maintain a "healthy" weight as we age could it be that the definition of "healthy weight" is not biologically correct?  Could it just possibly be that all the ills associated with being overweight are actually caused by the DNA changes that occur over time (aka 'aging")?  Could it just possibly be that some things, like bc and bc recurrences, simply cannot be predicted and/or prevented? 

I am so tired of the implication that I gave myself bc by being overweight all my life.  What do skinny women do to themselves to give themselves bc?  THAT question is considered absurd, but it logically follows.  If I gave myself bc through my weight, then every woman must give herself bc through one life choice or another, yet that that comment is invariably met with "But nobody knows for sure what starts a cancer."  I wish people would at least be consistent and say "But nobody knows for sure what starts bc EXCEPT that we know that being overweight causes bc."  

AARRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry for the rant, that article just pushed one of my buttons this morning)

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957

NM-- You are so right......... I am not overweight, exercise and eat a healthy diet....

Pat

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Carol - Thanks for the dinner, I caught it and it was delicious!

Depressing article Elimar but makes me more determined to keep exercising to try to get this belly fat under control.

NM - maybe we should do a nursing study on this topic - you already have a good start to a hypothesis.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

• Meece

Not to offend any of our sisters in the nursing profession, but have you ever noticed the preponderance of overweight nurses, especially in hospital situations?  You would think that they are kept hopping enough, and realize the dangers of obesity froma medical standpoint.  I mean, most of us have spent a lot of time around nurses and hospitals and may have noticed this.  I know that a lot of studies follow nurses as the study group.

• suzwes

I have noticed this.  It is very hard to effectively educate regarding health and preventive issues when the doctor, nurse, dietician is not following the same advice.  Although I do have health professional friends who are overweight yet very healthy and follow healthy eating and do exercise consistently. 

Edited to add, when I am experiencing my overweight periods of life, I am typically NOT eating healthy or exercising consistently.  I guess that shows it's an individual issue???

• Meece

My best friends' mother was an RN when we were growing up and she was amazingly obese.  She ended up having the stomach stapling and growing out of that a couple of times.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Glad I'm not the only person who has noticed this trend with people of the nursing profession. I think it's because they tend to snack on high calorie foods throughout there shifts, and that they are stop and go, stop and go all day long. Never long enough to get the heart rate up to actually begin to burn more calories. It's my understanding that the first 15 minutes of cardio activities is just to get the heart rate up to speed then you actually start burning calories. I'm trying to extend my workout to 45 minutes instead of 30, but when that ole stop watch goes past 30 I really feel like stopping and saying, "Good enough."

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604

That article is annoying!!!! To say that most middle age women are overweight is just pure BS!!!  I am thin and have been all my life...even at time of Dx, even though I was at my heaviest, no one was thinking I was over weight.....and I lost 20+ lbs during Tx and everyone was worried about how thin I was....I carry my weight in my tummy and always have even when pregnant....like NM said, if being overweight was the cause, then no thin women would get BC.....how ridiculous for the article to imply that....according to all the things that we are told to do to prevent BC, I did....breastfed my kids...each for over a year....eat healthy, good weight etc, etc, etc and I was still Dx stage 3....The reason we get BC is because we are women and have breasts!!!!  Yes as we age its harder to keep our weight where we want it, but there are lots of thin post menopausal women.....sorry to be on this rant.....I still have trouble seeing myself as middle age, that was always someone older than me!!!! but I've been told I've been middle age for many years....and based on the age posted above thats true....I'm 53 and will be 54 in May....so I guess that means I'm on the down side of middle age and on my way to old age!!!! Gee and I have said lots that I won't get old!!!!

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Hmmm belly fat does anyone remember the little french girl that was Bruce Willis gf in Pulp Fiction and she said she would "love to have a pot belly"? Well I bet she has one now LOL

When I was a nurse working Orthopaedics and Mental Health , I was just right because I was so busy, but there is alot of junkfood and gifts of candy laying around. I think we can find overweight men and women in about any career. However, my sisters cardiologist is overweight and smokes!!!!!!!

• elimar

OmahaGirl, good point about the "gifts."  On my rads thread, a lot of the ladies brought in a treat for the staff on their last day of treatment.  I DID TOO (some mini-muffins.)  In going there five days a week, I would say I saw gift snacks at the nurse station at least three days a week, and who knows what they moved back into their break room?  We can't have it both ways, noticing the nurse poundage AND bringing in the baked goods.  It's hard to say no if it's on the counter every day of the week. 

I imagine night shift nurses and night workers in general really have a tough time.  When you start to fatigue, and you can't sleep, your body is looking for energy and your hunger kicks in.  Which, by the way, there were recent studies/articles that linked not getting enough rest to being overweight for the reason I just mentioned.

• nativemainer

I have noticed that many of my professional sisters are heavy to obese.  There are some good points made here. The activity level is not enough to get and keep your heartrate up in the burning calories area. Treats are commonly available, and nurses don't like to offend or imply any lack of grattitude by declining food treats when patients bring them in.  Add to that the fact that we don't often get to take regular meal breaks leads to a lot of snacking on anything quick and easy which is also usually high calorie/low nutritional value.  Then there's the healthcare culture which says that it's ok to stop for a few minutes to eat, but not to smoke or go to the bathroom, and you have incentive to eat to get a break.  Nurses are not good at taking care of ourselves, it's plain and simple.  It's true I do know how to eat healthily (and usually do) and how much exercise I should get (but don't get routinely) and I'm still obese.  I know I use food as a comfort, which is a bad thing, but giving up food as comfort is sooo hard.  And I really hate feeling hungry.  oh, well. 

• carollynn79

Hi to all Middies, had a very frustrating day.  I got the pathology results back today and the thyroid was cancerous, they say they removed it all, it was encapsulated so had not spread to any lymph nodes, how much does that suck to have been diagnosed with 2 differnt cancers in one year, wonder what I did or did not do but....  Treatment is the surgery which is done and then hormone replacement for life and yearly tests to monitor, will find out more next week when I see the surgeon. It messes with my mind I wonder what next.   I am heavy and have been for a lot of my life, I eat well but too much.  I am commited to working harder at getting more exercise, eating better with less junk. 

• Meece

Carollynn, I am sorry to hear that you got a double-whammy!  Let's just pray that they did get it all, and it is now behind you.

(((((hugs)))))

• elimar
    Carolyn79, "encapsulated so had not spread" is GOOD news.  Thank God for that!  Still, that is a lot to deal with in one lifetime, let alone one year.  So sorry the beast reared it's ugly head once again!
  • karen1956

this story was just on the news and they showed an interview with Nancy Snyderman from this morning and she had issues with the study....she said they left out 2 things that women do....housework and gardening....she also said that our mothers didn't have a gym,  carried babies on their hips and ate when they were hungry....Yeah Nancy....

• karen1956

Carolyn....just read your post after I posted...sorry that you are having to deal with this....

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Carolyn-encapsulated is a good word! Be strong, as always!

• nativemainer

carollyn {{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

• suzwes

Carollynn,

I'm thinking of you and you're in my prayers.  So sorry this happened to you but am so glad it was encapsulated and hadn't spread.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Carolyn- Stay Strong. You are bigger than cancer. 

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045

Carollyn - what crappy news!  I'll be keeping you in my prayers.  As everyone is saying, it IS good news that it was encapsulated, but doesn't change the "crappiness" of the news!  Stay strong!!

• ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97

Hello my Middle age Friends, Sorry I havn'rt post, But been checking in. I think & Pray for  you all .  Hoping all are well & every one is getting stronger evdery day!

I Saw Surgeon Yesterday I am still having swelling around incision & rt arm pit, he did not want to drain  fluid, he wants to see if My  body will asborb it! still having pain,but it better & Emtionally i feeling better. I been off the tomoxifen for 2 weeks, onocogist took me off for a month break while the infection clears up. My leg pain & engery is better , so it could have been  the side effect of tamoxfin ( so Now I am scared to go back on) Iam Praying about it & I may not  take it anymore, I see Her in 2 weeks &  I Will discuss it with her & have labs done again! I finish My last antibotic today, ( yea) So I hope my stomach will start feeling better & get back to normal now! Welll  I got the Surgeon to release me to go back to work next week, With some restrictions,  no lifting over 10lbs. I am really excited , but scared cause it 's  been   3 months since I worked!, so I need to get back ( no more PTO left) Pray that all goes well. I am planning on Monday march 29th!  5 Surgery behind me & Iam ready to get on with my life! Well My sweet Sarah has been so patient & finally going to have her 16th B-day party for family Sat ( hope no one goes to hospital this time ) her Birthday was actually march 5th,the day I went into Hospital with infection& had Surgery  to Remove TE.  The Cake been Order ,so it a go, Pray we all stay healthy ,I hate to cancel it again-!  I just want you all to know how much I appreciate all the sweet post & Hugs. Thanks For make this Challenging time much easier, because of your support! {{hugs}} Gina PS Have a Blessed weekend!

Regina Robinson
  • carollynn79

Regina I had swelling and tenderness for about 8 months.  My body did finally absorb and the swelling has been down the past 2 months, now it is a lot smaller than the other!  I have some thick spots now but the doctor showed me how to massage and it is working itself out a bit, so hang in ther it gets better!!  Hope all goes well when you go back to work, try not to over do it.  I know that I found for awhile that I could work, and rest and not much else but hopefully once I am recovered from my recent thyroid surgery I will get my energy levels back.  (thyroid is causing issues to so the double whammy I am sure is effecting me)  By the Way not sure we have said it lately but CANCER REALLY SUCKS  Thanks for letting me vent it has been one tough week

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Gina, your energy may have been low due to the infection, not the Tamoxifen....just a thought. Have a great return back to work!

• nativemainer

Gins--I know i felt a lot better after I could back to work. Being able to do something gives you a feeling of accomplishment and gives you chance to toget everthing for a little while.  I can imagine you do feel a little nervous but I bet you'll get over that after the first 15 minutes!  I have one suggestion--if you work with the public in a position where people will notice that you've been out be prepared for them asking about where you've been or why you've been out and prepare an answer that gives only as much info as you want.  I used "I had to take care of a personal health issue, thank you for asking."  Most people would then go on to the business at hand, only a very few pried beyond that. 

• susu1976
    susu1976 Member Posts: 94

Good advice for Gina, NativeMainer.  I was out of work for 7 months, but the people in my department knew why so the questions were minimal when I returned.  If they hadn't known the reason for my absence, it would have been a lot more explaining on my part, and pretty awkward.

Gina, are you going back full-time?  I returned part-time for 2 months and eased back into full-time.  Be prepared to be fatigued for the first few days/weeks.  It takes more out of you than you realize, but it does help restore that feeling of normalcy and usefulness.  So mentally you'll feel better, but physically, it may take a little while.

I, too, had many surgeries besides the original bilateral mastectomies due to complications from infection.  It sets you back quite a bit--all the antibiotics, drains, stomach upset, etc.  But you will be surprised how much better you feel each day that goes by.

Best of luck to you on Monday! If anyone says anything stupid to you, remember there is a thread for venting about that here, too!  LOL