MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

I got into my garden yesterday and discovered that the lavender, rosemary, and thyme are showing signs of life!  These usually don't survive Maine winters so I am thrilled!  Got lots of work to do to clean up the garden, but it won't be really hard work, it will just take time.  Great excused to get outside, and my paperwork load is going to suffer for it from now on!  I've got to get more disciplined about getting my paperwork done in the evening so I can have the afternoons to play! 

Happy Easter, All!  

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Hey, maybe global warming is God's way of allowing a longer growing season to offset famine? Undecided
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

After this long, cold, wet winter during this global warming, I hate to see what happens when we go into global heating phase!

I am running out of room to garden this year.  DH thinks this is the year we landscape the backyard, so I have been limited so any equipment can be brought in.

I decided to grow my spinach in the greenhouse and just pick as I need it. I also need to get some of my seedlings in the ground.  I planted some lettuce yesterday. I am going to have potatoes growing out of my ears!  Somehow some of the potatoes from last year must have survived the tilling under and I have potatoes growing in the onions, carrots and radishes!

If anyone has some pepperoni seeds for my pizza garden, I am sure I have some seeds of something to swap.  ( I might even have a baby lasag for someone,  they have really multiplied since I wrote about them a few months ago.)

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    http://positivepsychologynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/easterbunny.jpg
  • nativemainer
    Meece--I plant lettuce and spinach in my window boxes off the sun porch.  Come sandwich or salad time, just open the window and snip! 
  • nativemainer

Hey--anyone catch 60 minutes?  About Myriad owning the patent on the BRCA genes? That the testing costs $300 in Canada or Europe becuase they don't grant patents on naturally occuring things.  HOW did ANY patent office EVER figure that a gene is an INVENTION?????????????????

• nativemainer

OK, and the US can pay for thousands of Ugandans to be HIV tested?????????

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Ridiculous BS!  I guess it's a good thing we chose to watch Sound of Music for the millionth time over 60 minutes or I'd be screaming at the TV!

• nativemainer

I WAS yelling at the TV.  I think they heard me in the next county!

I was watching Sound of Music when a friend IM'd me to turn to CBS.  

• suzwes

I'll have to see if I can catch it tomorrow online.  I'll do it at work so my nurse friends can watch it with me and scream and yell too!

• barbe1958

So how much does the testing cost in the US?

• suzwes

I think my testing was close to $3,000.  Thankfully my insurance paid for it but another example of why healthcare is so expensive!  I would not have been able to afford the test if insurance hadn't paid.

• barbe1958

Sheesh! I thought the $300 seemed high!!!

• suzwes
    I just watched the 60 minute segment we've been discussing regarding patented genes online since I missed it on television last night.  If anyone is interested in viewing the segment or reading the transcript the link is: http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml
  • PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Okay, that's nutts!!!My BRACA test cost $5000 before insurance talked them down to $3000 and change. I called them and told them I could not afford it, which was very true. They wrote off what insurance didn't cover. Now I know why. The information I received was invaluable, and they got ya cornered. I'm thankful that they covered it for me, but now wonder how many other women just looked at the cost and said, "No can do." 

• nativemainer

The cost and insurance coverage is going to be a big element in my decision to get tested or not.  It's funny, none of the docs in Maine have ever mentioned genetic testing, every doc outside of Maine  asked me if I was tested!  Just one more example of how the quality of care you get depends on where you live. 

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

They've patented the genes? Lovely. And they've publicized it all so much that I know women who think that not only are genes the root cause of breast cancer, but also that they can tell if you've got faulty ones. I'm pretty sure I have some OTHER mutation they haven't clarified (and patented) yet. Still haven't taken the BRCA test. I just don't have the right stats. Tomorrow at my six month check-up, I'm sure it will come up. Wonder if there are doctor kickbacks built into the pricing? My oncologist admits she totally doesn't think my cancer type or family history suggests BRCA at all, yet she seems to think the test would be a good idea...

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

I did have the Braca test done. I live in Missouri. I did it in December of 2009. It cost @ $ 3,000.00. They told me ahead of time my cost would be @ $ 300.00 or @ 10%. They however must only charge you if it comes back positive, cuz when it came back negative I asked how long I would have to pay for it and they told me it will cost me nothing since it was negative. Blew my mind, but made me happy that I would have one less bill. Getting ready for surgery ( Thursday, April 8th ). Wish me luck, getting a little jittery. Having both removed. Have a good evening everyone.

• nativemainer

So you only have to pay the company if you inherited the gene mutation THEY own, but not if didn't inherit THEIR gene mutation?  OK, that makes a lot of sense.  Talk about someone benefitting form someone's else's misfortune.

• Meece

We will be praying for your speedy recovery, leisaparis, and that you will be at ease during this stressful time.

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

Leisa my thoughts and prayers are with you.  I hope you have a speedy recovery.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

None of my docs ever mentioned BRCA to me & still haven't.

• ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97

Leisa, The Middle Aged Sister will be thinking & Praying for you on the 8th! If you have any Question please post! Prayers for a healthy Recovery & Please let us know  when you get home & how your doing & if you need anything! we are here for you!

Hope all of My Middle Age Pink Pals are feeling stronger every day! Prayer to all & Good luck with Doc appt & treatments!

I am back to work finally after 3 1/2 months & 5 surgery, so I am not able to post as much!, But think of you guys daily!

{{hugs}}

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Thank you all very much. I will take all the prayers I can get. I'm having a bilat mastectamy. I only need the right and all the nodes, but I would rather them take both now so I don't have to go through this again in 5 - 10 years. My doc would rather do just the right, but I talked him into doing both. I will not do reconstruction or wear falsies. I would rather be just flat chested. I have always been big chested, so it will be nice not to have to shop for bras anymore. Wondering if I'll find one that fits right all the way around. Never could find one that fit right, now I won't have to worry about that. Will have to work on the tummy though. God Bless Everyone.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Leisaparis: Wishing you more than good luck. Passing a quick prayer to you and your surgeons to do your bests. 

Eph3-12 from what I understand the test is so that you can find out if your B.C. is something that could have been inherited and if you can pass it on to your children. Since Mom and I both have B.C. I wanted to know for sure that my DD weren't at a higher risk.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Meanwhile - had my follow-up appointment yesterday, and the BRCA test came up again. The PA that I alternate visits with has been "trained in genetic counseling," and so the oncologist again wants me to have the BRCA testing done when I see the PA on my next visit in October. We had virtually the same conversation where she agrees with me that it seems illogical that I'll test positive because I don't meet any of the guidelines that suggest a genetic link, yet she still pushes for me to take it. So does she secretly think I will test positive but she doesn't want to say that? Or does she need to make more use of the PA's genetic counseling training investment to support the practice? Or does the PA need more practice? I hate to think like this, but have no choice due to extensive training in cynicism by my dad...

Joni - they NEVER mentioned it to you? Is this because you truly have nothing to even vaguely suggest a genetic link? Or is it because your oncologist didn't pay to have her PA trained to administer these tests? Sealed

Leisaparis - good luck to you! Deep, cleansing breaths. I found Xanax to be a wonderful pre-surgery aid to stop the swirling vortex of worries.

Coleen

• Meece

I am in the same boat as Joni.  No one has even mentioned it to me.  Someone on the boards here suggested that it was because I'm a TN.  I didn't get started with my current Onc for three years post dx, and my original team made very little effort to offer me any suggestions for anything.  I know I can ask my current onc about the test.  Won't see her until August.

(((((Leisaparis)))))

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

Kleenex,

I did take the test after discussing it with the PA - my only risk factor was my age (43 at dx).  I tested negative.  I believe that since I have 2 daughters that this test was invaluable for me and them.  I also only let them do the test if my insurance covered it.  It did.

Hugs,

Trish

• suzwes

Leisa, you and your medical team are my thoughts and prayers.  Good luck tomorrow.

I asked my surgeon about the BRCA testing last year before surgery.  I wanted to know if I had the gene mutation to help in my decision on whether to have a unilateral or bilateral mastectomy.  I also, and this was first and foremost, wanted to know for the sake of my two daughters and my granddaughter. 

I barely made the criteria that was set by my insurance company - I was in a gray area because of my age at time of diagnosis (48) and the fact that two aunts had BC but not a closer relative.  The genetic clinic wrote a letter to my insurance company and it was reviewed and approved.  If I remember correctly, the insurance criteria paid without question if my mother or sister had breast cancer or if I was younger at the time of diagnosis.  Thankfully I was negative.

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495

Noone has mentioned the BRCA to me either. I am TN also and only have boys. Could that be it? I don't even know what the risk factors are!