MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Meece, if you only have one a day for medicinal purposes, then I won't squeal.  But I have to tell you a secret...and this shouldn't go to the Eat Like A Bird group either...I happen to know that birds love cheetos.  In fact, birds love them so much, they have made two new flavors in little birdie bite-sized bits.

• elimar

Don't even get me started.  Cheetos may not be classified as a "diet" food, but it has powers like no other snack food.  Feeling lovelorn, not getting enough affection?  Girls, take a tip from Ms. Angelina Jolie.  She showed up every day on the set of "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" with a snack bag of the powerful orange aphrodesiac and we all know how that worked out.

Kids driving you nuts?  Teachers dropping the ADHD bomb on you?  Sit the nippers down with a serving of the cheese that goes crunch and before long your friends and neighbors will ask what charm school your angels are enrolled in.  With Cheetos to keep them happy, it's a breeze to have six kids.  Angie knows this.  Jon and Kate had not figured this out.  See the difference.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Elimar....of course Meece is using it for medicinal purposes.

After all it has 2% iron and 2 grams of protein. Its almost like an organic health food.

hahahahahaaaaa

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Thank you girls for substantiating my claims.  My pill case didn't have one an hour.  But I did good.  Each one is approximately 19 calories.  I opened the bag to take the pictures and I only ate 57 calories worth.  I had fresh vegies and a bowl of Special K for dinner.  So I think I did okay today.

• sheila888

It takes a lot of will power to eat just 3 when the package is standing right there.

Maybe I can do that with gold fish. I have my annual check up and don't want to be lectured by my DR on Wednesday.

I love my DR. He changed locations 3 times and I always followed him. He wants me to loose weight.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

BUSTED!!!! Meece isn't the only E-LABer here. 

I've convinced myself that Cheetos and all salty bagged snacks are the debil! Iron or no iron.

Now chocolate on the other hand is food from Angels.  

• Meece

I still wanna see those chocolate covered Cheetos.   The best of both worlds.

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Sooo, it sounds like I can substitue Cheetos for my "happy" pill and if I only eat 3 at a time I can still maintain my weight, and it has iron and protein???  Oh my, Manna from Heaven!  Can someone make the case for Cheetos containing veggies - that would be perfect.

• Meece

Corn!  Aren't Cheetos made from corn?

• suzwes
    Oh thank goodness.  Now all of the bases are covered.  Cheetos here I come! Laughing
  • Meece

Veggies, vitamins, and orange fingers, who could ask for more?

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

seyla88 - have you considered that your doctor is trying to escape from you, but you keep tracking him down? Sealed

I love the image of the giant Cheetos crammed into the pill minder compartments. I'm going on a trip with my daughter's HS band in May - I'm thinking I need to bring something like that and casually have it fall out of my bag on the bus. See if anyone says anything.

Has anyone tried the Mighty Zingers? The Flamin' Hot Cheetos are too caustic to taste buds, and I'm worried that the Zingers might have the same effect... Although if I follow Meece's lead and only have THREE, perhaps it won't degrade the surface of my tongue TOO much...

• Meece

I like the rationing of them because I know I will have some tomorrow and the next day... and the next...

I still need to excerise more to justify those 57 calories!

• Meece

Wait, don't you burn calories by using muscles?  And doesn't it take muscles to open the bag, reach in, grasp a Cheeto, draw it out of the bag, lift it to your mouth, open your mouth, place the Cheeto in your mouth, chew the Cheeto, shallow it, and digest it?  That's ten steps, I'd say you could burn 2 calories per step, times three, just by eating three Giant Cheetos, you would actually burn three additional calories.  You can lose weight just by eating Cheetos!!!

• nancyc1
    nancyc1 Member Posts: 2

Never thought I'd be here. No diagnosis. Went in for routine mammogram and just got call saying I have to go in for 2nd pictures and ultrasound ! freaking out here. 42 years old.

• elimar
    nancyc1, I had to have more views taken and an ultrasound for what turned out to be a benign lump.  I did have it surgically removed and that was no fun, but try to stay calm for now because no one can know yet if there is any malignancy.  They may just need better imaging on a dense part of your breast tissue.  If you do get a Dx of breast cancer, all I can say is that you will be in a very large sisterhood of women who DO understand the freakout and we are here with knowledge and support.  When will you have the second images done?
  • nancyc1
    nancyc1 Member Posts: 2

Thursday, too long.

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

What great insight ladies, I love it we have proof that cheetos have some redeeming featuers!  Isn't there some calcium in there somewhere too!!  If you eat the ones with jalapeno then maybe you will burn them a little  faster with the heat!! Just speculating of course!!  I love thinking about cheetos while I am dilegently enjoying my salad and ham sandwich!!!  Don't worry won't tell anyone on E-LAB!!!!!!  LOL

Nancyc1, our thoughts are with you hopefully as Elimar said it will be nothing, they may be just getting a better look, keep us posted.  I too about 10 years ago had to go for a second look and all was good. Last year well a different story.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Don't waste your time worrying just yet nancyc1. Almost every woman I know has had a call back after a Mammo. But it can't hurt to go in eyes wide open, so if needed you can ask intelligent questions. Sending you good vibes for great results.

• sheila888

nancyc1.....I was in a similar situation at 1995 and 2002.

They called me back for pictures and US. I had to have biopsies both times and it was BENIGN.

This last one at 2005 we know what happened.

I will be thinking about you on Thursday. good Luck to you.

Sheila

• elimar

Kleenex, came home from the market this morning, new Cheetos "Mighty Zingers" in hand.  I don't buy anything "ranch," so I went for "sharp cheddar & salsa picante."  I'm pretty sure these are nothing more than 1/2 bits of the regular cheddar and 1/2 bits of the fiery jalapeno mixed together. 

While I cannot bring myself to write a disparaging word about my beloved snack food, let me just say this:  I threw a handful out on the lawn for the the birds (the ones in the "Eat Like A Human" flock) and whether it was the fiery spice, I don't know, but after they finished they all took flight to go hang out on the monkey bars of the nearest elementary school and wait for dismissal.  That can't be too good.

• Meece

Throw some my way, Elimar.  I could use a time out to just hang around.  I left my "vitamins" at home today.  Brought granola snack instead.

• Meece

You know, Giant Cheetos resemble large marshmallows in size.  Perhaps they would float in hot cocoa???

• elimar
    Meece, you are back on the virtuous track with your granola snack.  That is why your avatar has wings and mine has a guilty/slightly apologetic look.  Aha-ha-ha!
  • Meece

Because that picture was taken 5 years ago???  I have evolved since then.

• Meece

I can't wait to get home and get my RDA of Cheetos!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Elimar-love the photo from "The Birds".  That was such a scary movie in it's day!

Nancy-I contribute to the being called back in for additional testing about 10 years ago; that was a benign situation.  Last year, again, different story.  Come back in and let us know after Thursday what's happening.

Joni 

• suzwes

I'm so glad I can buy cheetos again without guilt and that they have such great nutritional value.

Nancy, I echo lots of ladies here.  Many call backs, and three biopsies, one benign about four years ago, then last year not a good one and then about 2 weeks ago another benign biopsy.  Wishing you well, saying prayers for you.

Suzette

• elimar

Sharing the following about benign breast conditions, some of which do have an increased risk for developing future breast cancer.  (Personally, I had three conditions in the first grouping -- over a 30 year period -- before my Dx of B/C  I had radial scars concurrent with my B/C, that was only noted in my surgical pathology.) 

------------------------------

Women diagnosed with certain benign breast conditions may have an increased risk of breast cancer. Some of these conditions are more closely linked to breast cancer risk than others. Doctors often divide benign breast conditions into 3 general groups, depending on how they affect this risk.

Non-proliferative lesions: These conditions are not associated with overgrowth of breast tissue. They do not seem to affect breast cancer risk, or if they do, it is to a very small extent. They include:

• fibrocystic disease (fibrosis and/or cysts)
    • mild hyperplasia
    • adenosis (non-sclerosing)
    • simple fibroadenoma
    • phyllodes tumor (benign)
    • a single papilloma
    • fat necrosis
    • mastitis
    • duct ectasia
    • other benign tumors (lipoma, hamartoma, hemangioma, neurofibroma)

Proliferative lesions without atypia: These conditions show excessive growth of cells in the ducts or lobules of the breast tissue. They seem to raise a woman's risk of breast cancer slightly (1½ to 2 times normal). They include:

• usual ductal hyperplasia (without atypia)
    • complex fibroadenoma
    • sclerosing adenosis
    • several papillomas or papillomatosis
    • radial scar

Proliferative lesions with atypia: In these conditions, there is excessive growth of cells in the ducts or lobules of the breast tissue, and the cells no longer appear normal. They have a stronger effect on breast cancer risk, raising it 4 to 5 times higher than normal. They include:

• atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH)
    • atypical lobular hyperplasia (ALH)
  • travelgal6979
    travelgal6979 Member Posts: 76

Hi All:  I was 52 when I was diagnosed in December.  DH and I had just become empty-nesters with our dd going off to college and then "bam", breast cancer!  I had ILC and had a BM on 2/3/10.  I'm now going thru the reconstruction process which has been delayed due to a nasty infection in the breast area.  It's been a crazy and emotional time and there occasions when I still can't believe it really happened. Just found out last week that I don't need chemo so I'm very grateful for that.  Glad to have found this board.  

Dx 12/8/09, ILC, <1cm, Stage 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+, PR+, HER-