MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

NM- so glad to hear that the last of those pesky drains are gone and no more surgery needed !!!

Cookie- I find that though I don't want to work for a living anymore I am thankful I "get to".. and it does keep my brain thinking about other topics besides myself LOL  Good luck!

Middies, I have "listened" to all of Janet E's books and they make me pee my pants laughing! Grandma is the best character of all.  I like both Cheeto's and Doodles and not sure one is better than the other hmmm, will have to do a side by side taste test.

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

Thanks og....one hour and five minutes....time to put my game face on!

Green, black, or coral is the question of the day...blazer color!

To think my big concern was chemo or no chemo not that long ago.

• cookiegal

Cookie gal: Ok boobs, time to go to work, bra time!

Cancer breast says:What the hell are you doing to me, you want to squeeze me into what? We had a good think going on...I make bad cells, you stay home!

I think I will have to bring three of these with me. I know LE says no underwires, but the non underwire bras are murder on my scars.

Going with backup fruit of the loom underwire.

Sorry if TMi!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Coral!! Go with the coral!!! Shoot you're gone! I hope you went with the coral....

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

No such thing as TMI on here!

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

I hear raves about the Janet E. books but I've never had time to read them (due to STUPID studying for my STUPID masters degree), I'll have to either buy or check out the books on CD from her.  That may make my 20 minute commute to work and back home much more enjoyable.  And, BTW, nothing like Real Cheetos, I can tell a different brand blindfolded. 

NM, glad your drains are out!

Cookie, congrats on going back to work, can't wait to hear which bra worked best

• cookiegal

They all hurt. I actully ran back to my hotel and put on a sports bra, but I was perky boobed for the meet and greet and the "turn and smile" taping.

Everybody was very nice, and I am going to be working on a women's health fair with the local hospital, so that will be rewarding.

The bad news, the whole desk set up killed my arm and shoulder. Like I was 2 Flexoril, Dilauded, and asprnl in pain 4 hours in. I asked my boss for a better chair, she tried to stonewall me, but I said this is really important and she said I could order one. 

I took one out of the conference room later on, put a cushion on it, and put my keyboard in the desk drawer. Still in a lot of pain and spasms, so I am freaking out. The forget to have me sign my contract and a little bit of me is scared I physically can not do this.

Oh well, hopefully it will get better.

I did go with black blazer and red blouse, boob is really swollen for some reason. Will do coral on Wednesday.

Thanks for all the support!!!

• nativemainer

Cookie--cancer is considered a disability under the ADA, so an employer must make reasonable accomodations.  What you need is an ergonomic evaluation, and most employers have someone trained to do this for them.  Ask for an ergonomic evaluation of your workstation--I think it may even be mandatory if your work requires you work at a computer for more than a few hours a day.  You'd be surprised how much difference a proper set up can make.  This is one time to use the cancer card--the employer will be very reluctant to let you go after that fact is known and an ergonomic eval requested, it would look too much like discrimination.  If we've got to go through the h@$$ this disease causes we might as well take advantage of the few benes we can get!

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

So proud of you NM

I have the cutest coral shoes and have been looking for something else, besides the dress I bought them for, to wear. What size is your blazer Cookie?Innocent Hope your anti-biotics are doing there job and that you start feeling better real soon. You are such a fighter. Keep up the great work. 

Got a scare this weekend. Knee, lower back pain has had me at the chiropractor for about 2 mos. now. He suggested a visit to the Onc. again. But I went to my GP instead. She found a lump in my lower back that I thought was just a swollen muscle. She called it a benign tumor. Man I hate that word, tumor, but love benign. It's pushing on my spine which is why I'm having pain. Looks like another surgery in my future.  

• nativemainer

Paulding--so sorry to hear about more surgery, but glad it's benign.  Hopefully it will be something relatively minor, and recovery will be quick and easy with immediate pain relief.  I'll be praying for you. 

• cookiegal

NM.....good suggestion...I had this following an injury about five years ago and it was helpful. I learned some ways to tweak the workstation. I am also driving for the first time in 6 months and that may be part of the problem.

PM, thanks for the advice. If you live near a macys they have some cute coral and brown suits on sale for 69.99. I wear a 12-14 depending on how swollen my boob is and how I'm doing on the cookies!

• PauldingMom

Thanks NM

Wow isn't that great! we wear the same size Cookie. Shat size shoe do you wear. Seems like I got something you want or vice versa:) Tongue out

• PauldingMom
    Okay I just ordered one of Janet E.'s books. I've been trying to get smarterer Embarassedby reading some of the classics that I missed in school, but I'm easily bored and need something fun to read. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

I have a lot of catching up to do but I'm baaack. Our lovely anti-virus must have caught a cold because it let several viruses in, along with over 130 Spywares. We got it back from the shop yesterday evening. This is the second time this year and I am NOT a happy camper.

Where are my Cheetos?????

• nativemainer

Here you go, smithime:

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

In a category that is NOT weather:  If any of you Night Owls out there like viewing the night sky, the Perseid Meteor Shower is reaching it's peak...the best viewing is after midnight, looking to the Northeast, over the next few days.  If you can stay up that late, and it's a clear night, AND you can get away from the light pollution (that's the hardest,) then you could see up to 60 shooting stars an hour.

NM, that work station is going to have some serious "doodle dust" left behind on it, otherwise the proximity and portion size are just great!

• smithlme

Thanks NM. Where can I order that??? I wish I could see the stars at night...too much fog here...

• suzwes

I looked for the Perseid Meteor Shower last night but it was too early (around 10:30).  We have almost perfect viewing conditions where I live.  I'll look again tonight. 

Glad you're back Smith.  My main computer at home has many boogies too but thankfully I have my own laptop and so far so good with that one! 

Paulding, we must be on the same wave length . . . I ordered 3 Janet E talking books from Amazon yesterday (Steph. Plum 1,2, and 3).  The cheetos and cheese doodle conversation made me do it AND I can't study while I'm driving so I might as well listen to a fun book on my 20 minute commute to work (and 20 min back home again!)

• nativemainer

You're going to love the Plum Books!  Great entertainment!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

maya 2 told me there were posts on ms and bc while i was in the hosp..did i miss them..i tried going back and reading.. if someone can help me, know what page to look on? thanks. am home from hosp. now. it WAS mrsa, as i thought. everyone of the drs. who blew me off, and said i was just looking for trouble had to see me in the isolation room, and suit up!! they promised not to ignore my requests anymore .HAH ! i'll believe it when i see it.!am glad to be home, and with my 2 puppies. by this wkend will see my little darlin baby grandkids. am sick, tired, but relieved they got it.. this will be surgery #4 that ended in mrsa. no more surgeryfor me, please God.  missed you all.. light and love, 3jaysmom

• nativemainer

3jaysmom--so sorry you've been through such misery, and so glad you are finally home.  Make very sure you remind your docs of thisepisode every time they even begin to sound like they're blowing you off.  I do hope you don't need any more surgery, ever again. 

There is an MS and BC thread at 

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/68/topic/727917?page=2#post_1950523

• suzwes

So glad to hear you're better 3Jaysmom.  What a difficult time you've had.

Can't wait to get those Plum books - I opted for free shipping (of course) so probably won't get them til next week so I'm sure my "instant gratification" trait will kick in this weekend and make me antsy to get them.  I just thought, I probably could have gotten them at the Library!!!  Geeze - why didn't I think of that earlier.

Better get back to work. Have a great day ladies. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I think I need to order some light reading.

Some years back I read a series by Patrick McManus,  They are also good reading for a laugh.  he was/is a humor write for outdoor magazines.  They were great short stories to read around the campfire.

I am officially on vacation for the next four days.  Going to go at my own pace today.

• OG56

Meece, have a really fun and relaxing vacation!

Elimar, ohhh I love the picture, you do great pic's

Suz, books 1-3 are read by Lori Petty the actress and after that someone else, it took a little adjusting to get use to the knew reader but I have listened to all 16! I did not enoy reading them nearly as much as I delighted in having them read to me :) but be prepared to laugh out loud alot, the cars next to you will wonder what the hell is going on!

I am so ready for Friday!

• suzwes

I'm getting more excited to get those books/CDs.  I love making the cars next to me wonder what the hell is going on.  My favorite activity!

• OG56
    FYII changed my member name because I don't like it on google searches!
  • Tarry1
    Tarry1 Member Posts: 56

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted for a while but I do try to read what you ladies have written.  I have been thinking about reading and have bought/borrowed so many books, but I just haven't been able to start anything. I went back to work last week, it's gradual but it does feel different and I find I am exhausted at the end of the day (I'm only working  4 hours a day) lol.  I do have a question.  Has anyone lost  their toenails or fingernails as a result of chemo?  Or do you know anyone who has?   My fingernails will grow so long and then they break off. I think that I will just keep them short for now.

• nativemainer

TArry1--brittle nails is a common side effect of chemo. 

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

I have lost both big toe nails and 1 fingernail, but all the rest are VERY brittle. As soon as they get any lenght at all I break them off pullin on windows. My toe nails are also brittle. Guess it's just something we have to live with. If you find anything to strengthen them back up let me know. Thanks, Leisa.

• smithlme

Yep, cracking and splitting nails here, too. Plus ridges. I keep mine short and I ended chemo 3 years ago...