Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Options

Comments

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    Options

Hi Elimar, I am not feeling to good and hurt, and see the cancer Dr tomorrow

and test is the 10th. I hope they are able to help. Welcome old and

new friends, People here are very caring, God bless you all.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Options
    footprintsangel, didn't you have some tests last week also?  What are you having tested this week?  Let us know what you find out.  You do not have your diagnosis listed---what is your cancer?  Are you having treatments now?   Hoping that you feel better soon with less pain. 
  • rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    Options

Eliana, before my diagnosis, I thought like you did, that it couldn't possibly ever happen to me.  In fact, I didn't have a mammo for several years prior to the one that found my Breast cancer.  So I was very lucky that it was only a Stage 1 with no lymph node involvement.  I am also 48, and was diagnosed April of 2008.  Since then I've been through lumpectomy, radiation, and now on tamoxifen.  I've also made lifestyle changes, such as increased exercise and healthier eating, and addition of some supplements.

Although I am a nurse, I really knew very little about breast cancer, but now, after a few months of reading and being on these boards, I've learned quite a bit, and you will too.

• Rainenz
    Rainenz Member Posts: 21
    Options

This place is growing so fast.  Hello to all the new people.

Hi back to you Jezza.

• Morgan513
    Morgan513 Member Posts: 303
    Options

Hi everybody!  I'm new to this site although I have lurked off and on since my diagnosis last year.  I'm 47 with two teenage boys (15 & 17).  I was DX T2, N0, M0, Medullary last year.  I went through lumpectomy, chemo and radiation.

My hair has grown back.  It's wicked curly but I really love it!  It's the new me! 

I'm glad to find a thread for us "in-between" girls.  Not so young but not so old yet. 

I haven't been tested for BRCA yet.  I've been reading a lot of posts and I'm going to bring it up with my doctor on Thursday.  I think I'd really like to know where I stand and then I can take appropriate action if necessary.

Lorrie

• glassist
    glassist Member Posts: 26
    Options

Hello middle ladies.  I too, am new to this site.  I'm 54 and having my 4th AC on the 22nd.  Kids 19, 23 and 25. 

Carollyn - I take trazadone for sleep.  I actually took it before cancer because I've had sleep issues for a while.  It's a very mild anti-depressant and sleep aid.  It does, however, take at least a couple of weeks of use before you start to see the effects.  My PCP prescribed it, but the pharmacist at my oncologists office said it was a really good choice. Hope this helps.

• elimar
    Options

Rads #12 -- Same ol', same ol'

Pluggin' away, just passed my 1/3 of the way thru' mark.  Doing o.k.  The 3-day recovery weekend did settle some of the soreness that had been starting up, so I need more long weekends.

My hospital network runs t.v. ads that feature a certain doctor or group, to project that personable image for their various specialties.  Well, you guessed it, MY RADS GROUP is in the latest one. So there I was on Labor Day eating Cheetos from the bag, drinking my 4 oz. of therapeutic wine (what! is that to low-brow for anyone?) and there they all were on t.v.  Have mercy!

• Nebraskagrandma
    Nebraskagrandma Member Posts: 137
    Options

Eliana & Dolores, sorry you have to be here but glad you found us........

As my friends have said it's a great place to come for support and info. Sometimes this site is active even in the middle of the night ! as we have some that can't sleep and some that log on from around the world.

Hey Linda,

Maybe you could teach me some of that hypnosis so I could lose a few pounds !

Hope everyone one is having a good day,

Blessings all

• Nebraskagrandma
    Options

Greetings Lorrie and Glassist also !

I missed reading this last page before I sent my post Surprised my goodness I get behind fast !

Blessings everyone !!

• Nebraskagrandma
    Options

OMG 1 elimar !

cheetos and wine ! Smile sounds great to me ....... cheetos - cheese whats the diff ??

It's sure rude of them to invade your home space tho with that ad !

• elimar
    Options

O.K., you can all stop PMing me.  I now know that the CORRECT PAIRING would be Cheetos with WHITE wine.  What an embarrassing faux pas!  I'll not make that silly blunder again. 

• poolgirl
    poolgirl Member Posts: 46
    Options

That is a beautiful story. I feel like that too. I am so excited to be having my 46th birthday this month.There was a time last year when I was not sure that I would be here for long. I had been exposed to so many chemicals where I used to work that I was afraid to go through all of the cancer screenings. All of the ladies here have helped to pick me up when I was in some sort of crisis or mental breakdown dealing with all of this. Mandy, Fairy, and Spring must monitor this site 24 hours a day. It is truely a blessing to all of us. Cheers to getting old! May each of you see another year.

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331
    Options

Elimar, it would depend if you were eating cheetos with jalapeno I do belive a nice red would pair well!!! LOL great to see such a great sense of humor.  I have some apricot wine brewing humm wonder what pairs well with that, maybe chocolate what do you think!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

I think it makes a difference if the bag had been opened and "aged" overnight....

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Options

Barbe what aged old bag are you talking about.HE HE HE

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    Options

For elimar and those going through radiation,  I was given sample tubes of 2 different creams by the Rads office staff, which I applied religiously every day after showering.  I was told that these were preventative for radiation burns.  They were called Jeans cream and Miaderm.  I was told that they would be very expensive to buy on the outside, so I made them last, lucky I have small breasts, LOL.  I also used aloe vera gel after each radiation treatment.  I never got a burn, and never had any soreness either, just a slight pinkish tan color.

• barbe1958
    Options

The Cheeetos bag Mum!!!!

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

Hmmm someone's making wine yum, I am currently aging a great drink that my friends and I call 'bounce"  like off the wall if your not careful. We take fresh picked cherrie's or peaches and pour a bottle of vodka over them in a big glass jar tighten the lid and wait 6 months! Many a dull party has gotten livened up with that stuff!  What shall I serve with it besides Cheeto's?? I am serving it if my biopsy's come back "boringly B9" as leaf would say.

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331
    Options

Linda,  my sister makes what she calls cordial with the fruit and vodka it is so yummy, may you get good news and celebrate!!  We love my sister's cherry "cordial with coke it is a great mixed drink.  Do you eat teh cherries, they are great, I made some apricot and the apricots are as good as the cordial!!

• elimar
    Options

"CHEETOS GOES WITH ANYTHING EXCEPT A WHITE PANTSUIT."  ~~elimar 2009~~

I may have hosted a fine party in my day.  This was before the cancer, mind you, and all I can say is when it came time to snack I liked to set out a sublime Baccarat crystal serving dish filled with Funyuns.  My flair for hostessing always has them talking the next day.

O.K. This post is going to be a full disclosure.  No, I have not accepted any money from the Frito-Lay brand for product endorsement.  I do love Cheetos BUT they sometimes give me an msg headache.  I used to be addicted to Diet Coke, but the aspartame (Nutrasweet) in that gave me the same kind of headache.  Funyuns are nasty. I really am trying to have the 3-4oz. of red wine right now during my rads treatment, but if anything I am a tea-a-holic.  I'm going to make a nice cup of it and watch Top Chef tonight on Bravo.  Even tho' it's night time, I might make some English Breakfast Tea, because I'm a rebel and I don't drink tea by the rules.  

• barbe1958
    Options
    There's rules for drinking tea? Surprised
  • valeriekd
    valeriekd Member Posts: 79
    Options

Hi and good morning. Morning seems to be the toughest part of my day - it seems like reality sets in in a negative way first thing.BC did not go past sentinel nodes which is great (eventho axilla nodes r gone due to biopsy) That was such a great high but then the next AM I start thinking ahead of myself to chemo/RT and vigilance. I heard this great piece on not letting your illness have a past or a future just how do u feel RIGHT NOW and thus not letting it define you. I love that. But it is SO on my mind! Eventho I feel pretty good physically - just a little residual post-op pain. Needed just lumpectomy eventho tumor was pretty big - great surgeon (second time around he took out an additional 1.3cm of invasive CA in adddition to the 3cm from the biopsy -other surgeon who was less great. Iwake up and everyone in my house has moved on with their day and I am home "recovering". It sucks til I get going. Anyway, Just venting - thanks for listening. Valerie 

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    Options

Vent away. Vent away.

I knew there'd be no way for me to keep up with everyone's comings & goings, once this thread started to grow & grow.

Let me just say, (that at two years out) -- you really do have a new perspective with time.

That's my prayer for everyone just getting 'started' is that you, too have the blessing of time to reflect back on all that's happened.

May we all have lots & lots of time.

Time together.

xx00xx00xx00xx00xx

Four of our six grandchildren have been born since my dx. That's really been a great perspective to reflect from. WOW. The view from here looks great.

• BMac
    BMac Member Posts: 115
    Options

I heard something "interesting" on the radio on Friday.  There was a news report describing someone as an "elderly" woman.  They went on to report that she was 61!  I thought "Oh no.  I'm just 5 years away from being elderly."

Must have been written by someone in their 20's!

Barbara

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

OMG, my Mom isn't even elderly and she's 80! I hate that word, and even though I am chubby now I don't like to see "middle aged slightly obese female" on my chart eitherCry

A little morning humor. I work with little kids who have behavioral and mental health issues and sometimes like the rest of us they have mini melt's. I was helping this little boy calm himself down and I said "lets count stuff until you feel better" he said what am I gonna count? I said why don't you count Miss Linda's wrinkles! He looked at me and said " I'm not gonna be mad that long!" I started laughing really hard and so did he and that was the end of that! He probably think's I am 100...

• elimar
    Options
    Laughing  HaHaHa, kids are so brutal!  Laughing
  • glassist
    glassist Member Posts: 26
    Options

omaha girl - that story is priceless.  Out of the mouth of babes. I love it!

• barbe1958
    Options

Oh Linda! That is TOO funny....ehehehehhee

• dswope
    dswope Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hi all,

I can't believe how this thread has taken off!  I see I need to check it everyday.

Barbe - I just caught up on the last few pages, and wanted to ask you why you only needed the mast?  I also had a total mast, but am now on CMF and will take an aromatase inhibitor for 5 years after that.  Is it because of your particular type of cancer?  I'm very jealous you have no rx's to take!!

I do so miss my breasts somedays.  Particularly the sexual pleasure derived from them.  However, like Barbe, I keep seeing them as gone for a very good reason.  I have been breastless since May of this year, was happy to avoid the discomfort and chaffing this summer, and still haven't gone to look at Foobs (for which I have a free coupon!!!) because I'm really enjoying the comfort of no bra.  I must say, it isn't pretty though!  I guess at this age, it just isn't that important to me any more.  Rambling!!

Also Barbe, do you shop for your clothes on-line or some special place in Ont. that I will never get to?!

• barbe1958
    Options

Deb, my onc wanted to "save" the big guns for the next time...doi!

I buy clothes in a regular store. I get tops with a pattern or at least a design in the chest area to distract. I get cute little "jackets" (very light, I still sweat a lot!) to wear over camis and other sleeveless light tops. I work in sales and meet different people every day. Either no one notices (I walk around like I still have the best pair out there! Cool) or they're just too polite to say anything. After all, what would you say? "Hey lady, where's your tits?"