Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Options

Comments

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    Options

Sheila, ask your rad. onch.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    Options

Sharon, I am finished since January of 2006.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

When I was young and hot, I was at a hospital and had to have a pap smear. The old doc went out and brought in a young and hot doc (very new!)...sigh. He couldn't get it in! He was terrified to touch me...hehehe. The old doc finally had to come back in and do it. I can just imagine the conversation after that!

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    Options

( He couldnt get it in)  hmm and the old Doctor was able to get it in   hmmmmmmmmm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay...........Laughing Sealed

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

OMG imagine if they had to call the F.D. for the jaw's of life, what would they have said to the dispatcher at 911!!!!!!!! I have been rolling around on the floor laughing, and I bet Barbe and I could come up with some zingers!  Thank you I needed that!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    Options

Wow 16 oops now 17 pages of posts and I am just now joining!

I was 40 when I was diagnosed six years ago.  I had always told my "then husband" that I wouldn't be wearing long hair after 40 (You know how some guys like long hair on their women), but who would have thought I would be completely bald on my 41st birthday, and going through a divorce from an abuser as well as caring 100 percent for two teenage boys? But that was six years ago... I now wear longer hair because I am just so happy to have any!

I found this site, or should I say my wonderful husband found it for me, because I am awaiting a biopsy after a "bad mammo".  I have more questions now, than I did when I was diagnosed, and wish so stongly that I had found a place like this then. Good luck to all of you who are going through the various stages of treatment right now.  

Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on this thread.

• Nebraskagrandma
    Nebraskagrandma Member Posts: 137
    Options

Well my friends, I'm away from the site for a day or so and I've got 2 pages to read to get caught up !

Welcome all new gals ! You are among friends Kiss

I have to say if ever I'm feeling low I just need to come here to get my chucklesLaughing

I LOL when I read Barbe's post "I'll shut up now !" Really ? That would be sad Barbe !

Linda I really loved the wrinkle story too...... kids ya gotta love them

I'm all for the wine but................tonight I made me a Creme Brule Martini ! I deserved it ! dang it ! Kahlua, vanilla vodka, & creme

Went back to the PS today took out a few more stitches, we're still doing wet 2 dry pack on one incision for at least another week. One part of my lift incision didn't want to heal from the outside in so my S.O. and I have been doing Sodium Chloride wet gauze twice a day to heal it from the inside out. any wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy nuff about that................

Blessings to all

Have a great week-end !

We are going to Chicago tomorow til Tuesday eve.

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    Options

Hi All! This thread is GREAT. Can't stop smiling and outright laughing while catching up.

Nebraskagrandma-I'm doing the wet to dry dressings on my previous port site.Changing the dressings is the hi-lite of my day (NOT). Have fun in the Windy City!

I started a thread about interruptions in chemo but no one has responded.....I won't be able to re-start chemo until the area is completely healed. I have only 2 TAC to go. Met w/Onc yesterday and she said if not healed w/in 4 weeks she may just stop with TAC x 4 so that I don't miss the window of opportunity on the Rads that I'll be drinking wine for.  Has anyone else had any similar occurrences (I hope not, but misery loves company and to hear about success stories).

BTW-would have started preparing for rads sooner but am rushing from work to pick up kids to distribute them to various afterschool activities all of which are scheduled to start at the same time on opposite sides of town....don't want a DUI! Will have to just down the Cheetos instead and count wrinkles while I wait.

• OG56
    Options

Oh my Paula I am coming over for a Creme Brule Martini, I have never heard of it and that sounds so yummy. Be safe on that 8 hour drive to Chicago, and have fun!

Meece, I am sorry to hear you had a questionable mammo. I am back on the merry go round too, I have had 4 biopsies since June and maybe on Monday I will finally have an answer.I hope we are both diagnosed with boring B9  (:

Have a wonderful weekend ladies.

• Mazy1959
    Mazy1959 Member Posts: 254
    Options

Sheila,

ROFLMAO

• Nebraskagrandma
    Nebraskagrandma Member Posts: 137
    Options

Oh Linda !

We are flying Southwest Cool I think we can fly as cheap as drive and it's direct ! I have a new computer course (the whole health system is going with something different) I have to go to this am for the clinic, it last til noon then we fly out this afternoon.

My thoughts and prayers are going to be with you on Monday for very good news ! Sending positive vibes your way...........

Blessing, my friends !

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    Options

Indomitable-I'm sure this chemo interruption has happened to others.  Is your post on the appropriate board?  If you've received no replies 'bump up' your post.

Good morning all.  (Guess I should have said that first.)  Happy weekend.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310
    Options

OMG Sheila! The SPECULUM got stuck?!! I have to make sure I do NOT share that with anyone, because so many women I know are bad enough about getting their annual checkups as it is - they don't need to think about that being a possibility. Although it's truly so funny - I hope enough time has passed since the trauma of it that you find it funny. I thought the fact that they often store speculums in the freezer was bad enough!

Mmmmmm, a creme brulee martini! They're not just for breakfast any more.

Barbe, we've discussed this - we are STILL hot. Just in a sweaty way now. Slighly less alluring. Slightly.

Mazy1959 - that's some sophisticated text-lingo you're spouting there. A reminder: although we are, indeed, hanging out on the Young Women With Cancer area, we are Middle Aged. So I can roughly translate "LMAO" as likely being "Laugh My A** Off," but "ROF" has me confused. This is not good, as my children are 12 1/2 and 14 and I need to become fluent in TextSpeak so I can hover effectively and suck the fun out of their lives. 

It's raining and raining and raining here - I'm not complaining as it's been ridiculously hot and we need the break. And hey - on the Island of D'Nile, it's clear and cool (I'm thinking perhaps 65 to ward off flashes) with light fluffy clouds, a flower-scented breeze, and all you can hear is the soothing sound of the turquiose water hitting the white sand. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322
    Options

Rolling On the Floor

• Somuch
    Somuch Member Posts: 21
    Options

Why I like this forum:

Hmm, Cheetos and wine, cb martinis, fresh fruit vodka, sounds like "our club" is having a party and nobody deserves it more than us!! 

Smile opportunities. Wrinkles - gotta love the kids, pap smear jaws of life - too great!

Support and understanding - you (all of you) are the best! 

Sharing stragities for coping -I do meds (- sometimes to sleep - daily for anxiety - see my original post (page 11 or 12) for my personal sob story.) and that helps me with control and not crying. (less calories than wine+ but doesn't taste nearly as good). Being in control and that positive attitude is so very important to me. This is the one place I feel that I can express my fears and know that all I feel is normal. 

We each walk our own paths down this wide cancer road, but we are within calling distance of each other. Have a great weekend all, and stay strong.

• barbe1958
    Options

Hey, I read this in Readers Digest years ago. It's a true story. I'll do the best I can to repeat it....

This lady mentions that she has to go to her doctor for "that" procedure and doesn't have time after work to quickly shower, so she grabs a washcloth from the counter and cleans herself off. Then off to the appointment she goes. The doctor, upon examining her, exclaims "My, my, you certainly went all out for me today..." She is confused by the remark but smiles bravely.

Once back home she is horrified to hear her young daughter yelling "Hey! Who used the sparklies off my washcloth!"

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Options

The thread is a mere three weeks old, and here we are at Post # 500!  

I like when newly diagnosed women check in.  I know that in the early days of diagnosis a woman's mind is a cauldron of worry.  Finding this site can bring some calmness just to know how many others are out there who truly understand.  That's the effect it had on me.

I like when long-term members of this discussion board come here too.  Thanks for showing us that cancer doesn't have to take all the happiness of life away from us.

One of the greatest compliments so far was having this thread called a "catfight-free zone." Right on; but don't think for a minute that we can't handle a lively discussion from time to time.  You don't get to this age without gathering an opinion or three along the way.  

The longer threads generally seem to take on a life of their own over time, and I see this happening to "my thread" even now.  Just promise me it'll never turn into "Weather Reports Across the Nation."   Anything but that. 

Wink  ~~E. 

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze Member Posts: 250
    Options

Hello again ladies!  It's a rainy day here in Northern CA, very unusual weather for my part of the world.

I feel rather out of place on these forums so far - with my dx of IDC, DCIS, LCIS and ADH,  and HER2+, it seems that I can fit into any section of the forum - but also none.  :)  I'm still waiting on treatment decisions - it's been a month since the first radiologist told me he was sure I had cancer, and nothing much has happened yet.  I'm getting tired and frustrated by not knowing and all the waiting.  And, at the same time, I don't really want anything to happen, you know what I mean?  Unfortunately, my cancer is the painful type and so I am reminded of it often.

I wanted to let cmharris know she's not the only one who feels the way she does about her breasts - I have told my surgeon if at all possible I want a lumpectomy.  I had hoped her avatar photo was an 'after" and comforted myself at how great she looked and how you couldn't even tell anything had been done.  Finding out it's a "before" is disappointing.  But, whatever has to happen, saving my life is the most important.

Your posts above had me laughiing. Hopefully, maybe this little thread can be my home here. 

• Melinda-Tma3
    Melinda-Tma3 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi everyone - 45 with 11 yr/boy 16yr girl, 18 yr girl & an amazing highschool sweetheart husband - starting first A/C Monday morn....

Cool breeze - I have hated the waiting as well....everything moved so quickly once diagnosed and then test after test to fine tune my diagnosis...after 2 months - finally tomorrow I begin the next part of the journey. Then I can begin to mark off from my 56 days of chemo....then to my surgery...then  6 weeks of rads...  I'm taking the Brca gene test...praying for a good result there. I have so much odd cancer in my family tree...bladder, thyroid, uterine, colon/bowel, lung etc. I worry for the future, but feel really good about the outcome of this.  Thanks to everyone posting here and the fun, positive atmosphere....no room for anymore stress in my life...you guys are making me smile...thanks....Everyone is so wonderful in my home life, yet until you deal with this you really don't understand the abundance of stress, dread, hope, love, fear etc. that swirls around in your head.....nice to have you all to share this with...  

My best girlfriend (ovarian cancer survivor) sent me this the other day...It really hit home...

"Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come.  Live in the present and make it so beautiful that it is worth remembering"...Ida Scott Taylor

Enjoy the rest of this amazing day! 

Melinda 

• OG56
    Options

Hi Everyone hope you have had a pleasant weekend. Welcome to all who have just joined us on this thread, if you are just beginning your BC journey know that we will be there for you as others have been there for all of us!

Barbe I have to go for my annual pap smear soon and I have a penchant for making my OB blush! Now I am going to have to find some non-toxic glitter dust Haaaaaaaaaaa!  I can't wait to see his face.

• Kleenex
    Options

You know, they also make hair dye for that area, called "Brown Betty" or something. I hear it comes in PINK. That could be a fun surprise for your gynecologist. And just in time for October! I had a really hard time with Breast Cancer Awareness Month last year. One too many salesclerks asked me if I wanted to donate to breast cancer research. Finally, I got snippy and told one, "I was diagnosed with breast cancer this summer, so at the moment, my money is going for treatment, not research." AWKWARD! I'm calmer this year, but still am not looking forward to all of the pink...

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    Options

I know what you mean Kleenex

I keep getting those emails...."Don't forget to have your Mammogram Because Breast Cancer Can Be Scarey"...or something like that.

Really?

I also won't be having a mammogram because I had a bi-lat mastectomy years ago and have no breast tissue left.

The last 2 were sent by friends who know I have had BC. I guess they just don't think.

My lovely gyno. retired and I have to find a new one...don't you hate that?

jezza

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    Options

Jezza, I can relate, my gyno for 20+ years pulled one on me.   After he got me set up with a wonderful onc he had a massive heart attack and died at 57 years old.  It is amazing how attached we get to having the same caregiver and how much of a tailspin it sends us into when that person is no longer there.  His wife gave all of our records to an up and coming big business gyno.  He's the type with spa services in his office.  I even received his newsletter the other day advertising breast augmentation in his office that you could walk away within an hour!  No breast surgery I've ever had, has had me walking out the door an hour later!  I only go to him because he has my files and I hate go out and search for a new one.  After my current situation settles, I may make the effort though, or go in to this one  for a pap and some botox ;-) , I just hope he knows which to do where!

• helena67
    helena67 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Wow,

I checked into this thread very early on and now it's 17 pages already!

I have to read through all this first, I will be back!!

-Helena.

• barbe1958
    Options

You guys crack me up! My doc pulled a fast one and died! hehehehe

I don't think his wife GAVE the files to the new doc. I'm pretty sure she SOLD them!

I thought a Brown Betty was that small brown tea pot from England!

• lenelle
    lenelle Member Posts: 10
    Options

I am new, just became a member a few days ago.  I am 43 years old and was dx in May with bc. In July I had a bilateral mx with lat flap. It was a shock for me even though my mom had breast cancer.  It won't happen to me - yeah right.  This forum is awesome and it is great to be able to talk to others that have gone through the same things.  Sometimes I feel alone,but just reading here makes a difference. I look forward to getting to know all of you! Thanks for being here.

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    Options

Morning sweet "middlers" we're driving home from our summer hiatus of sunsets & cycling. I ended up with a total of 827 miles ridden on my bicycle!!!

We're already thru Chicago and the grandkidos are a mere 6 hours away!!!!

Welcome to the newbies, just beginning the journey. BC0 is a marvel & this thread is a great place for a cross section of many experiences in a calm & supportive environment.

Not to mention that several gathered here are starting a reality comedy show.

Have my pap work this week & will go with a smile on my face, but think I'll forgo the glitter & the pinl. LOL

• OG56
    Options

I am laughing so hard I can hardly type, the dye is called Betty Beauty (but I like Brown Betty lol lol lol)  I might have to name her Betty from now on. OMG can I dye it pink ?? My appt is in Oct. and it would be appropriate. Don't you know that when I googled "dye p....hair" there are many pages, geez I wish that was the least of my worries wether I had gone grey in my nether regions or not! But it is great to start the day with a big belly laugh!

• barbe1958
    Options

Oh man, Linda, now you HAVE to go pink! heheehheheehehe, We want pictures! Not of YOU! Of your doc blushing! Embarassed

• Kleenex
    Options

You should totally dye it pink and practice saying with a straight face, "I'm raising awareness for Breast Cancer."

I'm thinking we'll keep the breast cancer comedy reality show confined to these Forums. As I said earlier, it appears that not everyone finds a story funny if it starts with, "A funny thing happened to me on the way to radiation." And I've also said before that it is SUCH a wonderful thing that one's sense of humor is NOT stored in breast tissue.