Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Options

Comments

• kk69Z
    kk69Z Member Posts: 38
    Options

I was 51 when diagnosed back in 5/08. Had lumpectomy 6/08 and also 7/08. Radiation and now on tamoxifen. I also quit smoking the day I started tamoxifen. So I have been smoke free since 8/05/08. I feel great. I just wish everyone in this forum didn't have to get to know each other because of breast cancer. Oh well, here we all are.

• Dequi
    Dequi Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi all - just turned 50! (ugh).  Have 3 kids.  No grandkids yet.  Dx w/DCIS and little bits od IDC. Had a bilateral Mastectomy.  I had lymphoma in my 20's.  Had 50 rad treatments from chin to abdomen.  This caused the BC.  Been reading all your posts about rads - I had mantle rads for thr lymphoma - everything was affected by it.  Getting rads on just your breast is a very localized treatment whereas mine was 25 treatments from chin to below boobies then 25 below boobies to abdomen.  They did use lead blocks to help cover the heart and lungs but not all was able to be blocked.  Hence - no lumpectomy possible for me.  I know the fear of rads but the 1st time I got 20 years out of it (just celebrated last Oct - the joke was on me!  Apparently the BC had already started by then!)  So, good luck everyone!

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

Okay I swear I am going to do it!  Hey kleenex I know some people don't use their humor as a survival technique, but I do and you all make me laugh real hard about everyday and I believe that laughing will keep the cancer away!  Love you ladies your the best have a good evening. I will tell you tomorrow how I did at the BS.

• dragonfly10
    dragonfly10 Member Posts: 65
    Options

HI all, I would love to be a fly on the wall to see the dr. face with a pink p. hair.  how funny.

I have not had a pelvic exam in 5 years and I ask the dr. about it and he said since I had a hysterectomy I didn't need one but I still have the lips and a vagina, a clitoris, and urethra. you would think they would check those things out and make sure they are ok.  I had a friend that died from cancer of the barthmalliow gland (i know the spelling is not right) but it is down there.  Does everyone here get a pelvic if they have had a hysterectomy?  Just really curious if I am getting good care. LOL

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    Options

I too think the humor keeps us sane. That being said....I am allergic to hair color so i can cross THAT idea off of my bucket list!! LOL

i would lov to see the look on a gyno's face.. thanks for the laughs

It is soooo hard for this chemo-brained, chemopaused, overworked grandma to keep up with you ladies...I couldn't belive how many pages have popped up since i was last here.

SOOOO Hello new ladies. Glad you have joined us.We are a happening crowd!

Have a great week ladies!

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze Member Posts: 250
    Options

Allergic to hair color?  I'd be in a wig forever then - never, ever gray for me!  (Except, "down there" although the pink is intriguing.)

I'm getting gray in my eyebrows now - who knew?  I guess I can pluck 'em out since I'll be losing them all anyway.  :)

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    Options

7. A nurse was on duty in the A&E when a young woman with purple hair styled into a punk rocker Mohawk, sporting a variety of tattoos, and wearing strange clothing, entered. It was quickly determined that the patient had acute appendicitis, so she was scheduled for an immediate operation. When she was completely disrobed on the operating table, the staff noticed that her pubic hair had been dyed green, and above it there was a tattoo that read, 'Keep off the grass.' Once the surgery was completed, the surgeon wrote a short note on the patient's dressing, which said 'Sorry, had to mow the lawn.'

Submitted by Staff Nurse RN Elaine Fogerty, KGH London .

Dr. Wouldn't submit his name!

This was in a long list of strange things that have happened to Drs. All the others had Drs names and hospital on them...this one only had the hospital!

jezza

• Mazy1959
    Mazy1959 Member Posts: 254
    Options

OMG.............I did not know they made hair dye for "down there" LOLOLOLOL. You should take a pink permanent marker and draw a bc ribbon right above. LOL

dragon..my mom in law still went to her gyno yearly after she had a hysterectomy. I am not sure what exactly they checked tho. But there are still thiings there that I would think may need checked.

Hugs, Mazy

• Somuch
    Somuch Member Posts: 21
    Options

CoolBreeze - I get my hair colored at a salon and she colors my brows too. 

I have a friend who always does something "special" for her pap. The preparation helped relieve her anxiety!

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189
    Options

Just a note on hair colour . . . I mean for the hair on your head Laughing. I started going to a hair salon that uses an ammonia free product from Italy. Apparently it safe enough to drink . ..  should anyone be inclined to do so. I just feel more comfortable using a natural product. If anyone is interested, the product is called Milk Shake. This is their website http://www.z-oneconcept.com/ . It's in Italian but I found if I hit the right icons, it does have some English.

As for the pink hair dye . .  hmmmm. Interesting. I was actually thinking of writing a note on my breast Wednesday morning just to give the OR team a little chuckle prior to cutting me. Maybe I'll just do a happy face. Or maybe a sad face is more appropriate.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    Options

Somuch....Does she braid them?        

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    Options

My eyebrows never came all the way back since chemo

and less leg hair. Can't sleep so I thought I would let you

people know........NO Colon cancer(it didnt come back)

Life is good. Thanks for the support and prayers.

• Rainenz
    Rainenz Member Posts: 21
    Options

I had a close call to being very embarrassed  recently when I went to Gynae Clinic. Had had my exam and was just heading out the door when I bumped into a junior doctor, (who is working under the Doc I saw and could have easy been assigned to check me).

The embarrassing bit is I have known him since he was in High School. Can you imagine having such a young aquaintance looking up there. Especially as he dates my best friends daughter.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Rainenz, I'm pretty sure he would be more horrified than you! I had a neighbour refuse to do an ultrasound on my kidney. She said she didn't want to "know" more about me than she would as just neighbours. I'm pretty sure a woo who is more private than a kidney...

I had a hysterectomy years ago and no one wants to look up my number.....sigh.

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    Options

Hallelujah for your news, FOOTIE!!!!!

Now rest & take good care of yourself.

**It does indeed seem to me that all of the doctors/nurses on earth are awfully young these days. No doubt it's a sure sign that I belong in this age group. LOL.

• OG56
    Options

I am again haveing my morning belly laugh ladies and I so needed one today! Jeeza your story reminded me of  years ago when I was an Orthopedic nurse I had a patient who was fighting with her husband in the car, she was leanining against the door, she fell out and he ran over her leg (thats their story!) anyway she had the leg in traction and I had to give her a bed bath. Well she was all of maybe 20 and tatoo's weren't as in fashion as they are now, but she had several, but my favorite was a yellow sign (like a danger traffic sign) just above her pubic bone with an arrow that pointed down and said "Caution slippery when wet"  ohhhh I truly hope I haven't offended anyone but it really made all of us laugh that day, and I thought it quiet clever. I don't think I could have that tatoo now because it would be a lie! I will have to think of something to write though like a temporary tatoo to go with the pink!

I am off to the BS to find out the results of my biopsy's in a little while cross your fingers for me please.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Options

Sounds like you all know how to have fun at the yearly pelvic exam.  Well, my GYN is older than I am.  On one hand, I hope he doesn't retire so I have to go scouting for another; on the other hand he did miss my B/C in the office exam--the lump I felt about two weeks later.  I think my next visit with him is going to be on the serious side.

In my care-free youth (that would be my 20's) I used to go to a University Medical Center, a big teaching facility.  It was very common for the doc to show up in the exam room with a young intern or two.  I had one appointment where I decided to switch from birth control pills to a diaphragm and sure enough the doctor had a young student with him (looking back, it could have been job-shadow day at the local high school) and he told me the student would "fit" me with the correct size.  The anxious student confided that this was to be his first "fitting."   With a deadpan look I told him, "Don't be nervous, it's my first time too."  

I remember a muffled choking cough and then vacuum-like silence lasting several minutes.   So much for GYN humor.  I'll never work a small room again!  That's just not my venue.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    Options

Linda.

• Marple
    Options

You gals with your gyno stories!  I don't have any funny ones at all but sure do enjoy yours.

As far as a tattoo above the nether region.  For myself I'd suggest a covered bridge........the expression being 'as dry as a covered bridge'.Embarassed

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options
    At least you guys know if you're wet or dry! I haven't had the opportunity to find out otherwise....sigh. Cry (I think that's a topic for the Mojo thread tho...)
  • carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135
    Options

Or how about a desert scene? 

The thought of pink dye made had me LOL.  I think I might spring that one on my unsuspecting hubby.  I'll tell him it's for breast cancer awareness month.  Too funny!  The speculum story made me cringe.  Maybe that instrument should come with a warning from the Surgeon General...

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310
    Options

I have the perfect text for my pelvic area sign - this was on a shirt I had from Arizona many moons ago, but it's very apropos now:

"It's a Dry Heat."

They always said that about AZ and the lack of humidity, and I'm thinking that with my flashes combined with a decided lack of helpful moisture in my nether regions, that phrase sadly fits me now.

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    Options

A guy from work went to have a colonoscopy. The nurse came in to get him ready and it was a neighbour!

They both went bright red and she said "Don't say ANYTHING!"

He just laughed and thought bring on the anaesthetic....quick!

jezza

• Marple
    Options

Hey good for her !  and him!

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331
    Options

Too funny, I don't have any stories to share but it sure is great reading these, it feels so good to laugh, my hubby liked the "green grass", I would have to stick with Kleenex on A Dry Heat, even thought the rest of me is usually moist form the heat, wouldn't you know wet in all the wrong places!  Go see my Surgeon tomorrow for follow up, want to ask him how long the tenderness under the arm will last, maybe it is from the Rads yet, surgery was 4 months ago, rads ended 3 weeks ago.  Another beautiful day in  Michigan, kind of like the nether region though, dry no rain for almost a month.  Have a great evening, will take my Ambien and sleep well.

• OG56
    Options

Okay, this is the f......never ending pathology report. I get all the way into Manhattan this afternoon wait 2 hours to see the Dr. and what do I hear, "the final pathology isn't in yet" but the good news is that all the preliminary for both breasts is B9. I wish it was boringly B9 but both breasts have alot of LCIS and other junk, and it makes for a very messy pathology. I am hoping to do the carefull proceed with caution approach for as long as I can. If I ever require another biopsy I am afraid it will include a trip to New Orleans for a tummy tuck that turns into boobs. Thanks for the crossed fingers Sharon, you are talented!

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    Options

Linda....You deserve that drink now Smile Smile 

Keep your SOH. lalalalalalalalalalala  lala  lalala

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    Options

When I went in to make another appt to see my cancer

Dr, I felt pretty good when I left. elimar I think we

are lucky to have support and caring people here.

God bless you for starting this line,

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    Options

Debbie- so glad you got good news. hope you are feeling better. ((((HUGS)))))

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Options
    Footsprintsangel, Glad the doctor had some good news for you & that you are feeling a little better now.   I'm sending some healing energy your way.