MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Looking at all the food pictures was making me hungry until I got to the chocolate covered crickets. Think I have to go take some Tums now.

Elimar, Love the leaves spelling love.

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

The chocolate covered crickets are enough to make my sweet tooth go totally away!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Crickets?  I only made it to the choco-bacon before the bile started to rise.  On the other hand, I must have the same eating disorder as Seyla, 'cause that looks kind of appetizing, even at this hour of the morning.

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

Hi guys ! lots of  fun over there. If there is no appetites , I used to watch advertisement on  various types of  shows on readymade food items in TV.  I had already filled my stomach seeing the cheetos, chocolates I might skip my dinner now.

• CherylQ
    CherylQ Member Posts: 42

Hi everyone, we had fried butter at the state fair this year!  So chocolate covered cheetos sounds great compared to the fried butter.  It apparently was a big hit! Yuch!!!!

Keep them coming.

Cheryl

• suzwes

I can't even imagine fried butter. Or chocolate crickets.  I've actually tried chocolate bacon and it actually wasn't that bad but not something I'd want to have very often - like once in a lifetime would be enough.

• elimar

I don't even know how they could DO that!  The fried beer, to go with it, was in Texas.

• suzwes

I would have liked to try the fried beer, don't think so much with the fried butter.

• susantm
    susantm Member Posts: 71

I just found this thread and have only read this last page of it. Sounds like rather a strange group here--I may just fit in! Although I am not a Cheetos fan. Nor a chocolate-covered crickets fan. However, I do like Chocolate Cheerios. Is that close enough?

• suzwes

I think Chocolate Cheerios would be close enough.  Welcome Susan.

• elimar

susantm, I'm sure you mean strange in the most complimentary sense.  Right now we have just a few women in active treatment, and a few more getting ready for some tests, so around here the cancer talk is mixed in with whatever else we are doing or thinking of at the moment.  No one expects you to read all of the 200+ pages here, so just jump right in.  Are you having the rads treatments now?  My Dx was similar (but with IDC) and last Fall I had rads and now have been on Tamox. for a year.  Let us know where you're at.

As for the Cheetos, not a requirement, but you do get extra "points" if you can fake it and talk a good game of loving and devouring them.  (As Seyla has recently confessed!!!)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I've had fried icecream!! WONDERFUL!!

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

elimor, I agree with you.  Hi! barbe how is your treatment going on. I have no problem on my appetite these days. I eat everything to enhance my strength.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

i just ate tummy was good now feeling kinda queezy. debating on taking anything.

• elimar

I was out walking...hardly a nature walk, it was all sidewalks, but I came home with a pocket full of hickory nuts.  O.K. what I am saying is somebody had a hickory tree that dropped some on the sidewalk, and now there are a few less on the sidewalk.  They are so hard to crack.  I have to use a hammer.  There is not that much actual nut to pick out but I think they are tastier than walnuts.

I have two black walnut trees, but I can't stand those nuts.  Don't like that flavor myself, but I know some people love them for baking.  It's back breaking labor to rake and pick all those nut balls up. Squirrels bring them up onto my deck and leave the remnants of the hulls all over too.  What a mess.

Carrol2, I see you are sporting a new look.  Is that a buzz cut under the hat now?

• susantm
    susantm Member Posts: 71

I thought I submitted something, but it went away. I was just telling elimar that I did mean strange in the best possible way. And I mentioned that I had my lumpectomy on October 11 and will start rads November 29--held up a bit by various things like the sim machine breaking down. I'm looking forward to getting started, so I can get them finished!

• Carrol2
    elmiar nope never buzzed the hair. I still have hair all around the sides and back that stick out from my hats. It never really fell out like a mess or anything so i figured why bother. I had one or two days where about 50% of all the hair on my head came out in the shower and then it stopped. I wash it then tie it in a very thin tiny pony tail every day. In a hat people see lots of wisps sticking out and think i did not lose my hair. If you ever saw Lidia the chef on TV who owns a resaurant here in KC I kind of look like her hair there was some scalp showing on top and it was long in the back and sides. Not a great look but i think its kind of a comb over thing i would not be able to do with a buzz. 
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Hi raj, no I'm not in active treatment. Had my double mast almost 2 years ago now. Wow! That went fast!!!

• elimar
    Carrol2, maybe I don't get around as much as others do on this discussion board, but this is the first time I've ever heard a woman say she had a chemo "comb-over." LOL Laughing
  • Carrol2
    lol elimar well its kind of a comb up. I kind of comb it all from the back and sides onto the top and then its in a hat 24/7, even when i sleep unless it falls off by accident.
  • faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Welcome new Susan and other newbies while I've been out on the road.

Headed back to OH from KY -- not too far, DH driving, me with laptop hooked up to cig/aux light at 70 MPH we're an even funnier/strange/loving/hilarious group at 70 MPH!! LOLOLOL.

Newbies. Be aware. We are addictive. It's not just the exotic food selections, but the heart felt support for any of our newbies in the midst of needing love -- that will rope ya in.

The thing is, ya never know if we're gonna be cutting up w original hilarity, a la choc covered crickets or throwing our support around one of our own Middies-in-need a la our own Paulding facing down her latest chapter.

We're here. Thick and thin and that's pretty amazing. Two hundred pages of unique joy & support.

Awesome.

Glad to be a middie!!!

This thread is one of my "grateful-for's" to be enumerated this week.

LOVE to each and every one of you!!!!

And thanks..........................

xx00xx00xx00xx

• elimar
    Safe journey home, faith, our well-travelled sister.  I'm in awe that you can do laptop in the car and not get queasy.  (Oh, and per your earlier post...how fun that will be when you travel and get to visit with our Cookie!)
  • Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Okay, I fess up, I love Cheetos!  Orange fingers, orange teeth, love them!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,899

HOW does one fry butter????? Even more baffling--how does one fry BEER??????    I have had fried ice cream, it was good but not spectacular. 

• Carrol2

ok not to get off the topic bet ewwwwwww.

I would like to know how many of you really think of yourself as "middle age". I mean I am 45 I don't think that way. I figure if I am getting chemo to make me live a long time i have not reached the "middle" yet. Or maybe I am just in denial. I mean I can't even think about it. I can thik about that I am getting chemo so I lie a long time but i nevver think that they amy only be another 45 years.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Carol2 I don't feel middle either I am 48 years old and feel young.  I am not doing chemo but am doing rads.  Will start the Monday after Thanksgiving.  I too feel I am doing what I need to do to live a long time.  I am exercising more now than I did before bc, figure I am going to be a FAB 50 instead of flab 50.  But reality hits me with taking care of aging parents and inlaws.  They are the ones who wear me out.  I still don't understand how I ended up with the responsibilty of taking care of all of them except that my sister in law is very selfish and does not want to take care of her parents and I am the only girl in my family and all of my brothers seem to thing it is the girls responsiblity (however they have been better since my bc diag).  Oh well just a little whining.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

To each and everyone of you, have a great holiday........

• elimar

Carrol2 & Sherryc:  Well, when I was navigating around this site last year, I saw one thread for women in their 30s in the Younger Women forum & a thread for older women (which at that time included everyone older than 30, I guess) in a forum called "Older" Women.  Not feeling particularly old, I made this thread for women on the younger side of older and actually it started off in the Young Women forum.  A few months later, after a grassroots petition to the Moderators, we were given our own Forum in the pull down menu, and this thread got moved into its new home.  Now there are a lot of thread topics in the 40-60ish forum, but this was the first one.  (History lesson over.)

Yeah, I don't know why I was so unimaginative with the title of this thread.  Hardly a day goes by that I don't wish I could change it to something more fabulous (although I still laugh about the "ish" part.)   I don't feel that old either...but I kind of had to admit I was "mid-age" when I found myself relying on reading glasses for small print.  That's what sealed the deal for me.

• matildarose
    matildarose Member Posts: 2

I probably should have done this much sooner, though, like with many issues in my life, I keep think - the eternal optimist! - that it will all 'get better'.  I turned 50 on May 20th and thought I was looking forward to my 50s as the best time of my life.  Then had my mammogram and an ultrasound to confirm a couple of weeks later, with a biopsy soon after and my diagnosis three weeks past my birthday.

I will post more of the details soon, though at this point - with the insomnia really kicking in, kind of the usual these days - am simply looking for a friendly voice at the moment.  If you're in the same situation, or on the west coast and actually still up and speaking coherently :-) I'd love to speak with one of you.  If any of you feel like you want to chat and/or share experiences, I would love a phone call.  (352....538....2879).

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi Matilda, I'd love to call you but I'm a little too far away...lol, but there's nothing stopping us from having a conversation on here!

Love n hugs.  chrissy