MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

copy and paste it - it works then

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

I found it thanks.  I added it to my favorites so I won't loose it.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
  • Meece
    I am trying to get this to link up, but it won't work.  Grrrr   Abbreviations
  • Meece

Did it!!!!!

• Sherryc

yes Meece it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Ooooh!  Hannukah started so early this year (last night) so I am just a teeny bit late.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    good yontif, everyone..     3jays
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Peace to my sisters who celebrate Hanukkah-may you have a wonderful season of celebration.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

wow...miss just a few days of coming in and all hell breaks loose!! Ha!  Happy Hannukah to all for whom that applies.  That includes my new son-in-law and his family, so we got a small menorah to have here when Josh comes over :)  

Chemo questions: Sometimes I don't answer questions like that because they were asked pages and pages ago.  If anyone wants to start a dialog, send me a PM and we can email.  I do that with several boarders and/or chatters.  I had my 5th cancerversary in August but the memory hasn't totally lost the chemo facts!  I did 4 rounds of dose dense A/C followed by 4 founds of dose dense Taxol.  I had surgery before my chemo, then rads after chemo, then tamoxifen for 2.5 yrs, still taking aromasin.  Tips to get through chemo - eat what you want when you want, lie down when you can, and just keep reminding yourself it's temporary.  I was blessed to have a great hub who was very tuned in to what I needed and when.  If you get a metallic taste in your mouth, use plastic utensils so it doesn't make it worse.  Drink more water than you ever thought possible to flush the chemo through. Keep a journal of what you're feeling, and don't ever be afraid to ask one of us any question ... anything at all.  I promise you won't be the first one to think it or say it.  The chat rooms aren't as busy as they used to be, but if you try the Treatment and Beyond room and find people there, go in and meet them - I mainly did the chat rooms when I was in treatment because I liked the "live" feedback.  I wish all those going through treatment the best, and wish you all a great holiday season.  Hugs.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,899

From rads I got truncal lymphedema with constant severe pain, and then I got recurrent abscesses as the breast tissue died off and got infected. I lived with this for months. Then I was hospitalized after several rounds of oral antibotics for IV antibiotics and surgical opening up and cleaning out of the 2 biggest abscesses.  Then I was on IV antibiotics for another month.  The opened areas would not heal due to the radiation damage, even with daily hyperbaric treatments.  That was why I ended up getting a mastectomy.  I woke up from the mastectomy with bearable pain for the first time in over a year.  The Rad Onc told me that he didn't tell me about this possible side effect becuase it wasn't common enough to mention, occuring about 5% of the time.  He also said I would get a "sunburn" from the rads, and what I got was a 3rd degree burn that seeped and hurt like he## starting the second week of treatment and didn't heal until amost 2 months after rads was finsished.  Again, the Rad Onc said that such a severe reaction is "very rare" and some centers stop treatment when the reaction gets that bad  to let the tissue heal some before givng the rest of the treatments, but he dien't believe in "dragging out" the treatments.  The Rad Onc said I was "just unlucky to get two rare reactions."  The day he told me I had truncal lymphedema he also said the pain would continue to get worse and there isn't any treatment so I needed to learn to live with it, see you in a year.  I was devastated.  If I'd had any idea that would happen I would never have consented to rads, and would have gone back and gotten the mastectomy that I originally wanted instead.  I will alsways regret making the lumpectomy/rads choice.  

• elimar
    Native, OMG, that truly does sound like a nightmare!  I have heard several times about women taking a short break from the rads if the skin breakdown is severe.  That doc was a bozo!  One question: So when you finally did get the Mx, did you have a lot of trouble healing from that surgery?  I remember when you got your reconstruction, so thankfully you were able to still have that.  Are there any leftover pain issues now?
  • elimar

Oh, by the way, I wanted to put off having a bone scan until after the holidays so I would not have to think about it.  Well, I was thinking about it every day anyway and I could feel the stress building, so I'm having it on Dec.15th.  Barbe wrote that post saying we are all one test away from being Stage IV.  I can't get that out of my head now because it is the truth.  It means I am either going to have a terrible holiday or an extra-joyous one.  Do the results come back quick on bone scans?  I forgot to ask.

• Sherryc

I just received a phone call from my best friend.  We have been friends since we were 5 years old.  She is a lung cancer survivor, she had a terrible battle and spent months and months at MD Anderson and has been in remission for about 4 years.  She finally gave her wigs away abut 6 months ago.  She has been terribly worried about me and wanting me to keep her up to date on things.  Well she called to tell me she was on her way home from MD Anderson because she has had a cough for 2 months that she cannot get rid of.  She has taken two rounds of antibiotics and it has not helped so she thought she better get checkout by her MD Anderson doctor.  He thinks he may see somthing in the same spot on her lung and now she has to go back next week for a Pet Scan.  Her name is Cheryl and I would like to ask for prayers for her.

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136

elimar -  I got my bone scan results back in about a week.

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Sherry, I will keep your friend Cheryl in my prayers.

E - it was about a week for my bone scan results also.  I'll be thinking of you on the 15th.

Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends.

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748

Sherry-Prayers for your friend Cheryl...

Tori

DE COLORES! 

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Haven't kept up or read back, but just wanted you to know that we are safely ensconced in a two floor loft apartment in Little Italy for the night.

This week has truly been spectacular. Yesterday was off the charts.

Meeting our Cookiest tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will raise some middie wine-in-a-box as we toast over Cheetos & choc fondue.

xx00xx00xx00xx

Best to all -- whatever's going on.

• raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553

sherry - so sorry to hear about your friend Cheryl.  Awful, scary, not fair news - thinking of you both and hoping for clear tests for Cheryl.

Eli - I walked out of the bone scan centre with my results on a disk.  Went to the onc the next day and he read them - fast yes, but I was still on a knife edge for 24 hours between test and onc visit and it seemed like weeks! Any wait is the pits!  Hope yours come quickly and that they are clean.

• elimar

Sherryc, Your friend is in my thoughts, may the findings of her PET scan be as "sugar-free" as can be, and her holidays nothing but sweet.

• elimar

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,899

The rads damage did make the healing from the mastectomy slower. I had a drain in for almost a month, and my BS doesn't allow showers with a drain in!  The mastectomy, thank God, ended the pain. I took a year off between the mastectomy and the reconstruction to work on getting in better physical and emotional shape as well as to research reconstruction options.  Now, almost 4 years later, I am finally feeling like a real person who happens to have had cancer rather than a cancer patient! 

Sherry, I'll be saying prayers for your friend.  Hopefully it'll turn out to be scar tissue irritated by a cold virus and nothing more.  

Elimar--I cannot handle the waiting for results thing at all well, so I arrange for an appointment the same day with what ever doc is going to give me the results, and then have the center do an "urgent read" on the scan so I get the results the same day.  I once had a mammogram at 7:30 am, and then went directly to the BS's office even though my appointment wasn't until 4 pm.  After 2 hours of sitting in the office, shaking and crying,  the office nurse called the BS, who was in surgery, and got permission to tell me the results were NED so I'd stop upsetting everyone else coming into the waiting room!  They were very careful to schedule the mammo and appointment closer together after that.  Even better, since the recon--NO MORE MAMMOS!!  Yay!  

• Meece

That's certainly a silver lining, NM.

Congratulations for being able to come so far!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Sherry, your friend is in my prayers and I hope good news for her.

Eli, good luck on your scans.

To all the Jewish girls......Happy Hannuka! may your holidays be joyous!

To everyone else may your days be sweet and your nights warm and know that you are in my thoughts always.

Peace, strength love n hugs.  Chrissyb

• Onetoughwoman47
    Onetoughwoman47 Member Posts: 132

Brazos - YOUR FUNNNNNNNY!!!!! Enjoyed your post, keepum commin...HO HO HO!!!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Sherryc - I will keep your friend Cheryl in my thoughts and prayers.  Hoping for clear tests and a speedy recovery.

• brazos58
    brazos58 Member Posts: 109

GOOD MOANING LOVELIES!

Having my coffee, stopping in to check up on yous...

The Fitter called and canceled w/i an hour of my appt an 1/2 hour away....some emergency. Had me in a Funk-ward mood for the rest of the day.  so no LE Sleeve/ compression vest jovi pak/ microbeads for another 2 weeks.

I continue to walk thru the grief mode and bounce around the stages.... looking forward to the day, I rise above.  I still can't get a hair cut.

Native... your journey thru Rads is the main one that pushed me to having a mastectomy. I thought WHAT!!!!!! you have to radiate this entire HOOTIE??? Its a planet of itself and it would burn. I have it in my mind that Rads is a Palliative thing and it causes trouble down the road. IMHO.....Thank you for sharing that story... it gives me hope I will be Human again.

Eli...good for you making the appt. Note to self.....12/15. I will remember. Here is some company while waiting.

SherryC...strength to you.  PRAYERS for you Dear Friend.

OneTough.... glad you enjoy my posts :)

Happy Hanukkah to all.

Remember ..... the more we suffer.... the HARDER WE CAN LAUGH. Word!

Off to dance with the vacuum and hope my arm won't swell.... and that I am not a Sap today.

Rock on!

• 3jaysmom
    prayers being said in so. fla. for cheryl;Sherry. let us know. my friend w/ luekemia goes thru mda anderson, also. they're terrific. she's in the best possible hands, IMHO... 3jaysmom
  • 3jaysmom
    prayers for cheryl...
  • 3jaysmom
    wanted to wish all a good yontif. will get one of the nights with my inlaws, but have memorial for my friend, and a baptism, this wkend.. kinda cool: death, and then life affirmatiomns. i so need the positive stuff!!!     3jays