MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

My father had special ornaments for our tree that were always placed at the top.  There was a bird with a brush like tail, two pine cones, a violin, and some of the glass balls with the indent.  I haven't seen them in some time.  I will try to set up their tree this week.

I have found reproductions of these memorable ornaments and have them on my tree.  I have a lot of different pine cones and several musical instruments and birds.  I hope that this will be a memorable tree for my grandchildren one day.

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

Faith...ha!:)

Glad you liked Mr. Cookie....your hubs is a keeper as well.

Recapping my ornament drama...I had bought a "hope" ornament at Cracker Barrel. It was a snowman releasing a dove.(I think it cost 2.99)

We had our first decent size tree, and I saved the ornament for last. Well this clumsy jew didn't realize branches snap back, and the ornament went crashing to the ground. I was hysterical, as if my name had been struck from the book of life.

With a ton of crazy glue I did repair it and it remains in my collection. It kind of reminds me of myself, put back together scars and all.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Eli, those be them!!! And some other loooong ones with the divots done the same way. No more divots.....sigh.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,899

I have a couple of little horns that actually toot when you blow them from my Grandmother's trees.  She gave me the ornaments many years ago when she had to move to a nursing home.  My mother still has all the ornaments from my childhood, and I hope it is many, many years before I inherit them.  I remember the red bubbling lights on Gram's trees--I looked for them every year for a very long time before they all stopped working. 

When we were children my Mom used to hang foil covered chocolate balls on the tree.  We could eat one each evening until Christmas.  The chocolate was actually pretty horribe as chocolate goes, but hunting for those balls is still a favorite memory.  

• Meece

The box that stored my dad's old ornaments also had something unique in it. Several strands of tinsel...lead tinsel!  It was heavy and laid over the branches perfectly.  It is amazing what our parents, grandparents, etc were subjected too.  My poor daddy has only made it to 80+ so far.  Just think of what his potential may have been had he not been exposed to as a tot.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

seyla888 - Merhaba Nasilsiniz?  

Hope I remembered that right. 

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

jo1955.... Gunaydin, Biz cok iyiyiz, umarim siz de iyisiniz.

Yes you did.

• Meece

Wow, you did great, Jo2955.

• barbe1958
    ? Yell WHAT?
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

My mother gave me all of our old pretty ornaments right after college.  I put up the tree and had a new little kitten. Well she climb the tree and it fell over and they all broke. I came home from work and what a mess I had.  I so wish I still had those ornaments.

• sheila888

Barbe...Tu es tres jolie. Je parle francais un peu. Francais l'ecole dans Turquie.

Are you feeling better now?Wink

• barbe1958

Okay, that's French. Was the other Turkish?

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765
    OMG, I am so excited I could read what Sheila wrote in French!  It's been 35 years since I took French in high school!  I guess my "chemo" brain has taken a break today. Laughing
  • 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

ok, slow down gals! im sick again, can't keep up!!PM im still prayin for you, sistah..Elimar.. i love ho-hos' almost as much as you love cheetos.. im a chocalate girl, but i must say, I LOVE your  ho ho hos'!!

with all our worries, tears and anxiety, ive found a group of gals who use their humour to keep me going. want you all to know i realize your'e serious when we need ya, and HILARIOUS in the in between times..speaking of which: anyone else read the book " in the Meantime" by (an indian? name i can't remember.. its helped me. if ya don't know the author, ill go find the book..anyone interested?? the premise is that life is lived " in the meantime" when we're waiting for this and that to happen..sound familiar. she teaches how to celebrate the meantime; and the waiting goes easier.. she's kinda on the wave of Maya Angelou, who is also a favorite...

• sheila888

Yes it was Turkish. LOL

I speak Armenian but I cant write. I forgot all the letters.

suzwes when my daughter was going to Paris for vacation she brought home this dictionnary.

I was so excited I could understand most of the things.

• jo1955

barbe1958 - Yes that was Turkish.  It has been 22 years since I was stationed there with the Air Force and I am kind rusty.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Sherryc, sorry your hand-me-down decorations met with kitty disaster!  Last night, I spent some time looking at vintage ornaments in Ebay auctions.  (That's where I found those pics I posted.)  I spotted a few that we had long ago that I do not have now.  It made me feel happy just to see pictures of them and remember.  If you looked on there, you might see some of your old ones too.

3jays, I am a choc-o-holic too.  Or was.  I really don't seem to be craving it as much now that I have moved into menopause (or Tamoxi-pause.)   I am happy to say I don't have a Ho-Ho addiction to add to my other dietary vices.  Since I was already down memory lane with the Christmas ornaments, I can tell you that as a kid I LOVED Hostess Ding Dongs, especially if they were kept in the fridge. I don't know how many years they had that name, but at some point their marketing dept. decided to abandon that name (as it also was a well known slang word) and they re-named them King Dons. Remember? HoHoHo!

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762

Hi Mary and all my sisters,

Mar, I am in New Hope.  And yes,you so very very kindly sent me a package nearly two years ago.  I was newly diagnosed, freaking out, so scared and so overwhelmed.  You sent me two wigs--beautiful blond wigs for this black haired Eye-talian!  You were SO sweet!  I gave them to a good cause, but  I will never forget your kindness to a virtual stranger.  Looking forward to meeting soon!

Ellie xo

• elimar
    Meant  to welcome Onetoughwoman47 and lovemyfamilysomuch to this thread.  The names both seem familiar from other threads.  If I am wrong and the names are familiar because you have posted on here before...well, such is the quality of Mid-Age.  Can't remember like we used to.
  • barbe1958

Sometimes it's BETTER that we forget some things.....

Seriously. I had a co worker tell me that I seemed to be forgetting things. Concerned that one of my meds was doing it, I went to my then (idiot) PCP and told him I was forgetting things. "What are you forgetting he asked?"

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I had my favorite ornament from when I was a kid.  It's similar to those you have pictures of but it was a house & had tree by the front door-it was silvery with like blue curtains painted on it. I loved that ornament -it had been given to my dad by his grandma!  Well, in '73 I had a house fire & lost everything, including that ornament! I have a similar one that I found at a yard sale-not quite the same & certainly not the history but it's nice to have.

Meece-I think somewhere around S. Oregon would be a great meeting spot! Oh but I'd be willing to travel a bit too I guess!

• barbe1958

My sister lives in Lake Oswego so I guess I could go visit her and then meet up with you guys!

Kiss

• susantm
    susantm Member Posts: 71

I live in northern Oregon, but have a brother in Ashland. We like to visit him and go to the Shakespeare Festival.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    Meece - the ornament of a bird with a feathery tail - we had them!  Hadn't thought about them in years and years.  Wonder what happened to the rest of our old ornaments?  Probably thought they weren't worth keeping one year or something.  Why do we do that?  Ha!
  • cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

hi ...feeling cheerier today.

No OSTEONECROSIS. Just two cavities!

Hugs to all....

Thoughts for E.E.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Cookiegal - WOOOO HOOO!!!!  Good news hon, glad to hear it :)

Lovesmyfamily - I knew what it was, didn't know whether you'd want that memory revisited!!  I was so glad to be able to share the wigs, I'm glad you passed them on too.  Nice to "see" you again, and I'll definitely send you a PM next time we get together - probably soon after the holidays.

• elimar

Excellent news, Cookie!  Here's some New Yawk style happy dancing for you...

• jo1955

seyla888 - iyi geceler

• sheila888
    jo1955...Guzel Ruyalar. Yarin yine konusuruz.Wink
  • elimar

No one mentioned St. Nicholas Day...which is today.  Does anyone celebrate this?