MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Ahhh, that explains it.  I must have a double doe of female DNA.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Susan, you've taken the first step by admitting that you don't want to do it all by yourself. You done good! Laughing Now, repeat after us.......just ask, just ask, especially as you have "houseguests" who would probably love a small project to do to feel useful.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

Actually, Meece, all women have a double dose of female DNA--we're all XX's!  BTW, l like the typo of a double DOE of female DNA, giggle, giggle

• Meece

Hey, what can I say?  I forget to use spellcheck. 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    susantm, Please tell me that live-in SIL at least lifts a finger or two to help.  After all this time, she hardly has "guest" status and should be pitching in to help with the extra holiday chores.  Looking at how recently you were diagnosed, no one should be expecting you to be fully up to speed yet.  Barbe's right, tell the family you could use their help.  Season of giving and all that.  A vacuumed floor is way better than a nasty acrylic sweater that loads the static into your hair IMHO.  Tell them the "gift of service" would be much appreciated.
  • jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Meece - Spell check is not necessary - we can read between the lines.

• elimar

Forgive my opinionated statement, all my acrylic sweater-wearing sisters.

• susantm
    susantm Member Posts: 71

elimar, Sister-in-law has been helping in previous months. This month she has a temporary job and has been working overtime, so she has not done anything around the house. She says she will start again next week when the job ends.

Husband just finished vacuuming. Laughing I am trying not to do too much. Younger son, who arrives this evening is a considerate kid. Perhaps that is why he suggested we order Chinese food tonight instead of cooking for him. Well, that and the fact that, being a newly-wed with little money, he probably doesn't eat out much... Wink

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone! It is SO nice having a place I can come and vent.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    jmw I had radiation, but no implants and not sure I know anyone personally who fits that profile, sorry.  hope you get the info you need.
  • marlegal
    susantm, i think we all can relate to overdoing it - for me, it was like cancer took things I had no control over, so I wanted to keep the rest of my life as normal as possible and do what I always did.  it took a while to admit to myself, and then to others, that I just couldn't do it all anymore.  it was actually kind of liberating.  I hope you get to that point and ask for and/or accept others doing more sooner than later.  hugs
  • marlegal

eli - I love the follow-up email apologizing to those who wear acrylic ...that was so you!!!!  somehow you always make me laugh and who doesn't need more of that?

• jo1955
  • raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553

Hi all - 5 pages to catch up on!  Have been MIA for a few days - but I have been thinking of you all enjoying time with your family and friends.  Belated Christmas greetings to you all.

Barbara and HnS - thanks for the Merry Christmas greetings for those of us Down Under.

cmf - I would be glad to have only one bathroom run a night - usually 2 or 3 for me!

Paula66 - 2 months is a long time to wait for treatment. Because I chose bmx with recon I had to wait 5 weeks following dx for a surgery time and that felt like months.  Best of luck for your surgery tomorrow.

Count me out of polar bear plunges - can't see any benefit in that at all - lol!

Eli - was interested to read your comment about LE sleeves being recommended after bmx and/or node removal - never heard that before and in fact I don't even recall the surgeon mentioning the possibility of LE - only learnt about that when I came here.  Haven't had any problems - just dumb luck I guess.

Susan - I am coming up to 2 years post dx and I am still not 'up to speed'!  Granted Femara is still slowing me down, but my stamina has been the big casulty from dx and tx. 

phew - migraines - yuck - sorry you have to deal with them after all you have been through.  I agree with marlgal, we have all been in the emotional swamp after active tx has been completed.  Dealing with emotions that have been pushed to the back of our mind is hard work - try not to look at the big picture at the moment - take one day at a time, address one thought/emotion at a time and talk to us - we listen, we understand and we care. 

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604

jmw....I had rads with my expanders in.....luckily I did well....exchange for silicone implants 7 months post rads....

• Meece

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on the internet, but I believe the difference about implants and expanders is that expanders are always expected to be removed and replaced so if ther is capuslar contraction (CC) the capsule would be be removed.  Implants won't necessariy have to be replaced after rads if they don't have the CC.  However, I'd be willing to bet there will be a disclaimer you will have to sign that holds them harmless for damage or rupture to the implant, just like they do with a mammo.

• phew
    phew Member Posts: 143

meece    what you just said ""yr...dr, nor do i play one....  earlier this evening i was having a conversation with a friend , 55 as i am,  (OK not for a cupla weeks, but)  about 50 being the new 20  and  50 being the new 70.....we are so behind the times on most things and remember other things that young adults and children dont even know about MIDDLE AGE!  that's us!  like the tv shows:  the defenders     hawaii50    whats next? the love boat?

~~nc 

• Meece

Check out the thread "Middle aged Memories", Phew.  We bring up memories from our childhood and sometime have pics.  it is really a fun thread.

• phew

sounds good! mmece,  thanks!

• raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553

I looked at that thread a few times but so many of the things are peculiar to USA and  didn't recognise a lot of them.  I can understand that it is fun for you who lived through it.

• motherofpatient
    motherofpatient Member Posts: 124

Another set back. My daughter has cellulitis in the affected breast after 4 needle aspirations for seromas. Any one else had this? Will it delay the start of chemo? Pleae private message so I will find you help sooner. Thanks

• Meece
    Motherofpatient, only a couple more days until you can freely post, but I understand that time is of the essence.  I don't have any experience with either cellulitis or seromas.  ANYONE?
  • elimar
    raeinnz, Yeah, I guess the "American memories" wouldn't really strike a chord with you.  But since that thread was a true "spin-off" of this one, you know most of the gang on that thread already and you know we do like the "cultural exchange" so if you ever feel like sharing about the bygone days in NZ, I'm sure we could learn something from it.  Or post a pic, if it's an old time product.
  • nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

motherofpatient--I don't have direct experience, but I'm quite sure they will not start chemo until the infection is cleared up.  Otherwise, when the chemo depresses her immune system the infection will just spread and get much, much worse. 

• Meece
    I didn't think about that, NM.  You are right.
  • faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Mother-of-Patient.

I did have a stubborn case of cellulitis followed by sermona. The cellulitis was first in my situation. I have not required chemo, so I'm not sure my situation bares any resemblance to your daughters story.

I'm sure NM's medical background is insightful.

My cellulitis did NOT respond to the first go round of antibiotics and I was put on an upgraded version (oral prescription) for another two weeks, following the first week of prescription that it didn't respond to.

I know that there are many threads regarding cellulitis, under the area of LE (Lymphedema) on this website. Several women have been hospitalized and required IV drips to combat theirs. It isn't something to be taken lightly.

Sending prayers & encouragement for your daughter's unfolding story.

xx00xx00xx00xx

Strength and courage.

Strength and courage.

Strength and courage.

• Meece

Thanks, Faithie.  You are educating more of us!  I had never paid attention to the term cellulitis.

• jo1955
  • Meece
    good morning animation Pictures, Images and Photos
  • phew

mother of patien  and i guss others as well   as i read the hard times othersare having, i relze how fortunate i was.  i know i am allowed to grieve and feel pain in addition (not in spite) .  i wish mom of pt and the others who are still suffering with their disease so much hope and wishes and succeses in answers and experiences

~ ~ nc 

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Sorry I haven't posted much. they docs. have me in the hosp, office or conic daily.Even on Christmas day. Tomorrow will be on day vacation a =s it looks right now. Thursaday, spinal tap and empty right lung.  Something is not right and they can't figure it out. Family and friends have been saints like I could never have iagined. 

Bleassing you all a wondeful, New Year

Lisa