Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

I think control of who, how, what and when I tell others is the key.  Once I told my mother she immediately started telling all her friends, who in turn would ask me very personal questions whenever we met, regardless of public or private setting.  Add to that my mother's growing memory problems and I never knew what I would be asked, and I have spent a LOT of time correcting her misunderstandings/misinformation. And I meet these people maybe once every 2 or 3 years! 

God bless my co-workers, who all have quietly, privately expressed their support, almost never discuss bc unless I mention it first, and have all been so generous with shoulders to cry on and other support.  

In the beginning I didn't want anything pink, I didn't want to hear about or have anything to do with anything pink or any survivor stuff.  I still don't want any of the pink stuff, but I have been touched when a couple of people have (quietly) said they participated in an event with me in mind.  So I guess my feelings about some of this stuff is changing.  

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

My SIL told me yesterday in FB that my nephew wore pink shoe strings during his basketball game and made 15 points for his ol auntie. That really got me. I have a great family.

Eli love your pics they make my day. The older movies are so much better because they don't show the out come but make think what might happen!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Valjean - We celebrate 38 years in July. Surprised
  • jo1955

• walker2222

April will be our 20th

• jo1955

I figure after going on 38 years, I will keep my hubby - too old and set in my ways to train another one. LOL

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Jo I tel my hubby that all the time. We have been married 23 1/2 years and he tells me he is getting old and I need to trade him in. What for I don't want to train another one I like the one I have.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

E- I totally agree that the woman in the pond is the woman in your post or identical twins!  I sort of fancy myself as the gal on the far right!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

That photo looks like an outing from the sanitarium, where the women had those legendary complaints like "hysterics" and "the vapors."

Or they could just be having some old time-y  picnic fun.

My mind just goes to the dark side.

• walker2222

There is a movie out where Anthony Hopkins plays Dr Kellogg founder of cereal. He had a spa that did some weird stuff around the turn of the century to promote health. Eli you pic reminded me of it.

• eph3_12

No, I totally see the sanitarium outing!  And I totally see me being the chick on the far right during the sanitarium outing!  In fact, maybe that's exactly what I need!  (An outing-not a sanitarium) (No probably the sanitarium 1st-then the outing!)

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Well I am going on my outing this weekend.

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

hey all,

just checking in, back from Chemo #2. headache and tired so not too bad.

DH and I celebrated 30 years this January, will try and do something special later in the year.

barb,

i did very similar to you, i told my immediate family, sibs, mom and a close circle at work. then i told them it was not secret...and the support has been wonderful. The company i work for is medium size but family owned and people are close. I actually asked a friend to tell one of my friend circles as it was hard tp tell people and have them cry. she is a doctor so gave them all the info and then told them they could call me when they were ready. My son asked the youth group at CHurch to pray for me, and a friends son had his ccd class pray for me those moved me. My only thing is printing it funny how we all have a line and I am sure it will move as i go throughout the journey.

need to nap now, headache worse this time.

{{{hugs to all}}}

Jean

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Okay, I can totally see me as being the chick next to you, Eph, in the dark skirt. Because I am no doubt losing my balance and getting ready to fall into the water, and unfortunately you will probably fall down with me Eph! And then they'll put us back in the sanitarium because we will probably get hysterical again! Obviously, they don't let me out often.

lynnie - thank goodness you are going to Maine and NOT the sanitarium!

Jean - I hope you get over this round soon - feel better! 

• elimar
    HnS76, I'm the one holding your hand on the other side (3rd from right) 'cause I'm tall and showing a bit more leg than the demure ladies in the group.
  • eph3_12

cuz that's how you roll-E!

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 106

Can I join ???    Love this post ... and interesting take ...

Myself ..  I prefer to tell individuals of my breast cancer diagnosis.  I had to pull my husband, and Mother back .. they wanted to share my news .. without full knowledge of my treatments, surgeries, or  my permission.  My cancer, my topic for discussion.

Vicki Sam 

• jo1955
    VickiSam - WELCOME TO THE GROUP!  We call ourselves "Middies" and not only share information but support each other.  Along the way we do have fun.  Hang with us - Sorry you have to be here.
  • elimar
    Yes, welcome newbies, VickiSam and JeanneR!   We have ladies in all phases of treatment here, and the ones of us who have finished active treatment still have an undestroyed brain cell of two, so if we can help in any way, let us know.
  • elimar

I was good to hear from you the other day P-Mom!

Miss you

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

I like that...my cancer, my topic of discussion....YES!

VickiSam, welcome....Jeanne, I sent you a message and my number. Feel free to call if you need to . My cell is always on. Glad you made it to BCANS! They have meetings once a month on Monday nights - I can't go because I have choir practice, but it sound slike it would be a good fit:)

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297

lynniea--enjoy your vacation!!  I hope you can forget about bc for awhile!

JeanH--Hang in there girl.  You will get through this round.  Before you know it you'll be on the other side!  Get some funny videos to watch and relax and take care of yourself!

My hubby and I have been married for 26 years.  I was only 20 years old.  I agree--I'll keep the one I got--he's well trained! Laughing

Elimar--I love the pics you put up!  Thank you for taking time to do that!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

42 years come July for me and my DH.  After this long, I think I'll keep him as I don't have the energy to train another and I acutally adore the one I have!.....lol

Welcome to the newbies!

• Sandeeonherown

Ok...booked my April vacation!!!! I am all about the pals right now so...Turkey, Qatar and then Nepal...not a binkin year...reallllllllly want to hike, walk in markets, look at art and laugh!!!!! WHEEHAA!!!! This is a long one...plan on working the two weekends ahead of the game and have organized with a friend to stay with my 18 year old cat...so now....now I can really relax and stop worrying about anything...have organized the flights so there is 3 hours between all the connectors so I can walk around, keep my arm well rubbed (read -fear of lymphodema!!! ) and read in peace! YES!! (and can you say air miles????? Only had to pay a portion of the flight!)

• jo1955

Sandee - I was stationed in Izmir, Turkey for 15 months when i was in the Air Force.  If you like ancient history/artifacts that is the place to go.  The people are super friendly and the food is wonderful.

• Sandeeonherown

OOOH! I was in Istanbul 20 years ago when I was a new traveller...now I have a pal there and she is going to play tour-guide / hostess! Maybe Izmir will b edoable. I am stopping here in both directions en route to Qatar! Thanks for the info Jo!!

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

sandee...i was born and raised in Istanbul.

My last visit was 1983.

• elimar
    I'm gonna rename this thread TURKS and TEXANS!  Wink
  • Sandeeonherown

Seyla!!! Excellent....if you have some favourite memory places I will ry to hit one or two of them. Didn't get to the Blue Mosque (thanks to some overzealous rug pellers)but plan on getting there this ime.....loved Saine Sophia!...I thin kmy pal is on the European sife but she is a singer and flamenco dancer so I imagine we will hit a few interesting places! I don't normally ge excited until I am on the plane but for some odd reason, as soon as I bought the ticket this evening, I thought "WHOOOO!!"

• Sandeeonherown

Elimar...or TT's (but that sounds like titties if said quickly....how appropriate!!)