Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Welcome, nana3.  I will also pray no chemo on your behalf.  (I trust God and His decisions, but I prayed, "No cancer", "No Chemo", and "No Rads".  He had other plans for me, so now I pray "Your will".)

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Welcome Beccad and nana3!   Nana3, I hope you do get to skip chemo, but if not I will be hoping for the bigger picture that you are and will be a cancer survivor.
  • nana3
    nana3 Member Posts: 7

Beautiful weather here in NW Louisiana, 75ish today with some sun, had ice last week, which is not normal for us, go figure...

• elimar

Newbies,  since you may not go back to read any further than 5 pages in this thread, I'll have to mention that I have requested SEVERAL times in the past that we DON'T go on about THE WEATHER.  Thank you.

Don't freak out nana3, that wasn't a personal comment to you exactly. 

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

Lynniea -have a blast

Navy- my favorite city in Texas is Austin...I plan on landing up there to live one day...very beautiful part of Texas with hills and water and really cool folks...

I had a complete and utter mental meltdown this morning ....stress just overtook me and I lost it. Told the husband I wanted out...told my kid I didn't want him either....nice person I am...although I realize sometimes it is not the just the BC stress just realizing how much stress I have as part of my regular life...i know my son is just picking up how bad I have been feeling from the horrific reaction I had to the Arimidex...it has been a hellish few days but I really wish he had not chosen to squirt a bottle of ketchup throughout the living, dining, hallway and kitchen...so now I feel horrible...I went totally apesh&t...it is all just too overwhelming sometimes...sorry for venting...i really feel bad for the things i said...husband went to work and the kiddo is tiptoeing around...he is not sure what to do...with his autism sometimes he just vents in very odd ways and now he feels bad...ack..time for a bath and to regroup...

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Annette }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Probably a long over-due rant.....

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

(((annette)))

(((nanna3)))...hoping no chemo for you

elimar...I won't mention the weather, but will tell ya all...I SAW GEESE FLYING NORTH...must mean Spring is just around the corner...WHOO HOO

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

annatek--how old is this child?   Good grief1  I hope you made him clean up the mess!  Sometimes its good for the people around us to learn that we do have limits and can be pushed past them and erupt. 

• elimar

Oh, annettek, you poor girl!  We totally understand you here.  Hope it will not be too difficult to smooth things over with the family.

AS IF the B/C is not enough, AS IF our lives don't have enough stress just being in the "sandwich generation," A LOT OF US are on hormonal maintenance that meses with our moods and our minds...then our mouths spew out something awful, and we have to LIVE WITH THAT too!   I'm not saying our meds. are a "get out of jail free" excuse, but they are now a factor of our lives.  Oh joy!

• annettek

Aww, Native- I should have explained, he has autism. Most of the time he is a great guy, he is 24, but other times there is no other way for him to get it out...unless I choose to drug him into oblivion which I cannot do. he tries and most of the time, he succeeds. other times, not so much:)

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

That does put another light on things.  Good for you for not drugging him into oblivion.  I wish I lived close enough to come clean the mess up for you, then we could hide in a closet with a couple bottles of adult beverage, and see if we can't get you past this down time! 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Sunagle and Sandee I will be spending the weekend with old gal pals the 1st weekend in april.  I can't wait.  We too laugh the whole time we are together.  There are six of us and we have all known each other since we were 5 and 6 years old.  Pretty odd but we charise our friendship.  We usually get together in the fall but this year my bc put things on hold and we decided to wait until I was through with treatment.  So looking forward to it.  It is part of keeping me grounded and reminding me always where I come from.

NavyMom-San Antonio is a geat city, I live 1 hour from there.  Lots to see and do.  If I can give you any suggestion  let me know.

Jean the chocolate covered strawberries where so good, thanks.

Lynnea hope you have a wonderful time on your trip.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 106

Thanks, Girls for the tibits of information .. and help!  Look forward to growing my friendship with all of you ...

Vicki Sam

• nana3

annettek, thanks for the info, never thought about having mood swings with an aromatase inhibitor, guess I was in lala land...Now I have that to look forward to. (I will review the side effects before I have to start taking it for sure)

I feel for you in dealing with all of this plus your son, you can make it thru, just have the faith and maybe buy a different kind of ketchup bottle?...

• JeanneR
    JeanneR Member Posts: 38

Oh Annettek..We all have episodes that we wish we did not have..We are all human being...don't be too hard on yourself. We will get thru this.

• annettek

thanks for the kind words...they help, more than you know. It is funny, I open up on here like I do not *in person*....I love the little bum (ah, he is not quite so little...6' 190 lbs) but it can get pretty kookoo sometimes. There is nothing funnier on the planet when I stand on something to scold him (as I am 5'1")- after we are done scowling at each other, we both start cracking up. He is very limited in his speech but communicates pretty well. If that makes any sense:) When I told him this afternoon that he just can't throw things around when he is frustrated he looked at me and trailed his fingers from his eyes (for sad). I apologized for calling him everything but white boy. It is a journey, I will tell you that. Before  I got the BC I  was just starting to plan his house...we have to have something in place before we are too old and the bc scare showed me just how quick life can be. I want to build a farm/ranch and maybe have three or four other guys living there. There is simply nothing else out there where I could ever let him live. I have not gone through this for 24 years to turn him over to a life of nothing, so to speak. So I am going to do this and I know that it won't be so hard to find some other families that want in. The problem with what is out there is people may start out with their hearts in the right place but then they start getting those state funds and well, they pay the people that work there next to nothing, don't put the money into the place and cram as many people as they can in there with the minimum staff. I will plow everything into it and make sure the folks working there are paid a decent living wage. I want to do this closer to Austin as the countryside is beautiful and we can get volunteers from the UT to work with the guys. I want to have goats so I can call it "Goat Creek Farm" and everybody living there will have to have a job of some kind on the farm - to the best of their ability-maybe eventually make and sell soaps and lotions so it can become self-sustaining. Everybody needs a purpose in life and god-willing this kid has a long life in front in of him. I want it to be the best it can be. He is ready to have more-he goes to camp in the summer for a week and simply thrives-freaks me out, but he loves it. It is a 24/7 kind of life we have, but we're his parents.  But mama does get tired. Nobody really gets it because I appear to be one of those god awful silly butt people with a life of ease...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Would I trade it? Nah, not if it meant I did not have him. I wish he would not have been struck this crap, any more than I would want him to have any other condition. But years ago I had the closest thing to a spiritual experience as I ever have had. He was about four and it was a tough time, I was overtired and ready to keel over-I was doing a program with him that entailed heavy physical and mental interaction for 7-8 hours per day every day and just about had had it. We all went to the rodeo and him and his brother were walking in front of my husband and I...now this sounds corny but it happened....I felt, rather than heard "Annette, you don't deserve this, you should have a completely healthy and whole child. I will give you that but I will take him" It was a cloudy day and light shot right down on top of him...I ran up and grabbed him (freaking him right out of course) and said NO WAY, I LOVE HIM. Of course everyone thought I lost my mind but instead I think I found it that day.

Wooooooo, sorry for going on...seem to be full of emotion and memories...sometimes I guess I need to remember that kind of stuff when I am just exhausted. Thanks

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Becca and Nana, welcome!  The reason for joining us might suck, but this room is a whole lot of fun and a great distraction.  Occasionally we even try to be helpful :)  Nana, it's always a first choice to skip chemo but if it turns out you can't, I hope we can help you through that.

Annette, sorry for the meltdown...been there done that. We're fortunate that basically people who love us have a forgiving side to them, just like we do toward them when needed.  Hugs hon.

Eli, lol about the weather comment - that really ticks you off, doesn't it?  Sometimes we just can't help ourselves though if that day's weather was truly conversation worthy.  Bear with us :)

• elimar

I feel that of the non-B/C topics we might bring up on this thread, and there have been too many to even keep track of, weather has been the least interesting.  JMPO.

Luckily, for all those captivated by the daily ritual of weather reporting, we do have a spin-off thread, hosted by the lovely Meece. 

Baby it's cold outside

Why I even heard you could post your town's five day forecast!!!  

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Annette -  Sorry for the meltdown but this sure is the place to do it.  It sounds like your heart is definitely in the right place in finding a place for your son -  a place he will be well taken care of.  I'm sure BC threw a big monkey wrench in your life but you are a very strong person and you will make it through whatever comes up.  (((HUGS)))

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297

Annette--we all have had our meltdowns. With my 3 girls I used to get so frustrated with them sometimes!  And that was long before bc!  The home you want for your son sounds wonderful!!  My dd worked at a new home nearby for developmentally disabled adults, called Friendship Place.  It is run by the Covenant Church, and they have a few of them in MN, and maybe other states too.  It's a wonderful place, she tells me lots of stories.  She quit to be a full time mom, but goes in every few weeks to be the 'craft lady" and do a craft with the residents.  She is in the process of adopting a 3 yo boy with down syndrome form the Ukraine.  I am very excited to have a new grandson (she has another son, 16 months old), but a little nervous too!

Hope all you ladies are having a relaxing evening!  We have a big snowstorm heading our way, so we'll probably make it to church, but not much else tomorrow--but we have a truck if we really need to get somewhere. It's a good excuse to hunker down and have a lazy day!

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

What an active board today. Feeling tired and a bit low today. Speaking of chocolate covered strawberries. Bought the stuff to make'm for valentines but didn't get around to. DS thought it would be fun so we did then tonight. We did bananas and orange slices too. DS is 15 and want to go into culinary arts so I urge him to do stuff.

• marlegal

TMarina, congrats on your new grandson and hugs to your daughter for taking on that challenge. I hope she reaps rewards over and over.  I love those foced stay-in days, as long as we have plenty of food and wine!  We're having dd and sil over tomorrow for dinner ... I get so happy when I know they're coming over - we're so lucky that we all really enjoy each other's company.

MJB, hope you have a better day tomorrow hon.  What a way to try and make things better though by baking with your son, and with chocolate no less - you go girl!!!

• elimar
    annettek, I love your idea for Goat Creek Farm.  I hope you are able to make it happen. 
  • nana3
    Annettek, hope you are doing ok today
  • annettek

you guys are all so sweet...today was better than yesterday...thanks for caring:)

Yep, I want Goat Creek Farm to be a reality. We'll see. I am gonna see if I can't get some sleep tonight and it will be an even better day.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Annette....sometimes pms, BC, life has a way of making us let it out...sometimes there is a message other than what we spew...and it is usually stress-related....like my yelling at my boss my 2nd last day of rads....it had been a long time coming  so while you may regret what you said and how you said it....think of yourself like a volcano...at some point, the magma is going to rise!...

Sherry- Glad you too are getting together with galpals. I have been bopping all over the place hanging out with girlfriends this year....a month ago , I hung out (a ladies who lunch kind of event) with my two best pals form jr high....galpals rock!!

• marlegal

I never seem to post on teh Get Together thread, but if any one reading this is in the PA/NJ/DE/MD area, we're meeting for lunch on Sat, March 5 .. the more the merrier.

PM me with email addy if you're interested

Hugs buds

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

A WOMAN'S WEEK AT THE GYM

This is dedicated to everyone who ever attempted to get into a regular workout routine

Dear Diary,
                            For my birthday this year, I  purchased a week of personal training at the local health club.  Although I am still in great shape since being a high school football cheerleader 43 years ago, I decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and give it a try.

I called the club and made my reservations with a personal trainer named Christo, who identified himself as a 26-year-old aerobics instructor and model for athletic clothing and swim wear.

Friends seemed pleased with my enthusiasm to get started! The club encouraged me to keep a diary to chart my progress.
                            Started my day at 6:00 am. Tough to get out of bed, but found it was well worth it when I arrived at the health club to find Christo waiting for me. He is something of a Greek god-- with blond hair, dancing eyes, and a dazzling white smile.  Woo Hoo!!

Christo gave me a tour and showed me the machines.. I enjoyed watching the skillful way in which he conducted his aerobics class after my workout today. Very inspiring!

Christo was encouraging as I did my sit-ups, although my gut was already aching from holding it in the whole time he was around.

This is going to be a FANTASTIC week!!
                            I drank a whole pot of coffee, but I finally made it out the door. Christo made me lie on my back and push a heavy iron bar into the air then he put weights on it!  My legs were a little wobbly on the treadmill, but I made the full mile.
                            His rewarding smile made it all worthwhile. I feel GREAT!  It's a whole new life for me.
                            The only way I can brush my teeth is by laying the toothbrush on the counter and moving my mouth back and forth over it.  I believe I have a hernia in both pectorals.  Driving was OK as long as I didn't try to steer or stop. I parked on top of a GEO in the club parking lot.
                            Christo was impatient with me, insisting that my screams bothered other club members. His voice is a little too perky for that early in the morning and when he scolds, he gets this nasally whine that is VERY annoying.
                            My chest hurt when I got on the treadmill, so Christo put me on the stair monster.  Why the hell would anyone invent a machine to simulate an activity rendered obsolete by elevators?  Christo told me it would help me get in shape and enjoy life.  He said some other shit too.
                            Asshole was waiting for me with his vampire-like teeth exposed as his thin, cruel lips were pulled back in a full snarl.  I couldn't help being a half an hour late-- it took me that long to tie my shoes.
                            He took me to work out with dumbbells. When he was not looking, I ran and hid in the restroom.  He sent some skinny bitch to find me.
                            Then, as punishment, he put me on the rowing machine-- which I sank.
                            I hate that bastard Christo more than any human being has ever hated any other human being in the history of the world. Stupid, skinny, anemic, anorexic, little aerobic instructor.  If there was a part of my body I could move without unbearable pain, I would beat him with it.
                            Christo wanted me to work on my triceps.  I don't have any triceps! And if you don't want dents in the floor, don't hand me the damn barbells or anything that weighs more than a sandwich.

The treadmill flung me off and I landed on a health and nutrition teacher.  Why couldn't it have been someone softer, like the drama coach or the choir director?
                            Satan left a message on my answering machine in his grating, shrilly voice wondering why I did not show up today.  Just hearing his voice made me want to smash the machine with my planner; however, I lacked the strength to even use the TV remote and ended up catching eleven straight hours of the Weather Channel..
                            I'm having the Church van pick me up for services today so I can go and thank GOD that this week is over.  I will also pray that next year my husband will choose a gift for me that is fun-- like a root canal or a hysterectomy.  I still say if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have sprinkled the floor with diamonds!!!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

OMG...I'M ROFLMAO....BARBE THAT IS SOME REAL FUNNY SHIT.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Barbe - OMG - That is too funny.  Just what I needed to get my day started.