Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 106

Question:

Do anyone feel that chemo therapy .. aged them .. especially in your face ?  I do.  My face and neck, seem aged

Maybe its just me .. but then I look into the mirror ... and there are more laugh lines visible, and I don't recall laughing much these past 18 months, while battling breast cancer.

Vicki Sam

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers

Sunangel-sorry for your anniversary date. I also lost a son at 41/2 years old. It has been 16 years and august is always hard and Jan because that is his bday. I sometimes wish I could sleep those days away.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

I can't believe this!!! aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww!  One loud scream.  I have been doing so good, feeling good, quilting, getting back to my old lifestyle and BAM.  I have another seroma of all things.  This makes my fourth since surgery on 8-30-10.  Pretty painful and will probably need to be aspirated.  Can't figure this out - had one aspirated about a month ago.  I asked my BS last time and he said I could have these for months to years.  Not a comforting thought.  

So frustrated right now.  My entire experience has been an absolute nightmare and it seems I can't wake up.  One problem right after another.  I have an appt on Mar 4th with the surgeon and I was really hoping it would be my last.  I really love my surgeon but really, enough is enough.  If I have to have this damn thing aspirated, that means another follow up.  He always sends the fluid for testing and then wants to see me to give me the results.  He does not believe in doing things over the phone - says it is too impersonal.  I gotta catch a long break real soon.  I don't care if h@ll freezes over, I am going on my cruise in 53 days.

Sorry to go on so long.  Had to get it all out and I figured this was the place to do it.

Thanks for listening. 

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

It is hard to understand these Insurance company why would the Dr. order the test if it was not needed.  It is vary frustrating dont't they know what we have and need to get thing moving.  They said it could take up to 10 days.  You feel like you don't have that much time.  What if it was them I am sure it would't take long at all.  Please pray that it will go faster.

• jo1955

lynniea - Step back and take a deep breath.  Insurance companies are not run by doctors and some idiot thinks they know more than doctors.  I know your sense of urgency and certainly hope someone makes a decision real soon - preferably in your favor.  You are right, why would a doctor order an unnecessary test?  Because there are those out there that tend to over test to cover their own butts.  They are more concerned about the cost of their malpractice insurance than the patient.  Unfortunately, it does happen and I am truly sorry you are having to go through this.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

my prayers are with you both, sherry, and lynniea.. i would wait, cancel the pet and get the ins to pay for it. ive done that, before, but i also know it makes you crazy to wait. if its' a private place, you don't have that luxury. pay, or they don't do it. a hosp. they bill, and you can straighten it all later.. hmmm     3jays

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

lynniea ! dont worry. If there is a will  there  is always a way- old proverb. But dont neglect the treatment  plan set for you by your doctor. Cut down extra expenditure  to divert  in your medication expenses and  claim later  from the insurance. Before 5 yrs. from the day I got detected  from BC  all my family members stop buying branded clothes, expensive cosmetic items and even stop  eating meat, fish  and became purely veg. Very surprisingly , one day my husband  told me that  initially  he was having  problem  in eating  veg but now  he cant smell non veg items. Everyone in my family  has no problem  in their health, seems to be better than earlier. I am not insisting  you to follow my type but  as a friend  I am just suggesting you ,

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

Lynniea--call your insurance company and ask to talk to a case manager.  It will make things a lot easier to have one person, one name and number to call for all this insurance stuff, also to give the name and number to the doc's office and others who  need to get insurance approval for stuff.  Having a case manager will make things go more quickly for you. 

jo--when I started having seromas and abscesses after rads it was from rads damage to the formerly healthy tissue.  Ask your docs if that is what is going on with you, too.  Radiation damage seromas need to be handled differently, not just with aspiration. Make sure you are getting the right treatment for the right problem. Absooutely go on your cruise!  And have a great time! 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{{SHERREY}}} Prayers going up for you and your family!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Jo, you are going on that cruise even if you're one big, weeping, pustule of a seroma!!! The down-time and rest will do you so much good!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Jo I had similar burns after rads still traveled only with lots of gauze,creams and cold compresses.Pack something for the pain as well.(((hugs)))

• jo1955

NM - I have not heard of seromas from radiation damage but it does make sense.  I already know I have some lung damage from rads so why not seromas.  I now wonder if the constant burning sensation is also due to rad damage to the healthy tissue?  I will ask my BS when I see him next week.  Thanks for that info.

And yes, I am going on my cruise even if I have to be carried on board.  The trip is paid for and I am so looking forward to it.  No one will know me and will not know I have had BC so I won't have to talk or think about it.  On Carnival, they make a drink called a Miami Vice which is to die for.  It is half strawberry daiquari and half pina colada.  This is what it looks like - YUM!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Lynniea, when I had my PET scheduled, they told me if i cancelled within 24 hours, the cost of the radioactive injection would be charged to me anyway.  Supposedly they are drawn up for your weight and once drawn, cannot be put back.  Make sure your insurance will be paying for it before you schedule it, because finances aren't yet another thing you should have to worry about now.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Jo Sherry and Lynniea prayers to you. Jo I the seroma get cleared this time for you so you do not have to go through it.

Sherry prayers for your dad mom as they go through this. Gad this cancer stuff sucks and I don't normally say that.

Lynniea insurance companies can take a flying leap off a high cliff and I work for one.

I still have issues I'm dealing with from last year.

On a more pleasant note had family night with DH and DS. Went to Cirque du Soleil. It was wonderful.

• mumito

Anyone intersted in going on the BC cruise in May PM me I need a roomy.

• Meece

Wish I could go....

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Me too.  Where's the info Mum, wouldn't hurt to check it out.

• Sherryc

Jo so sorry about the seroma do check into the rads seroma and do go on that cruise

• mumito
    site is www.Breastcancerwellness.org/cruise.html   Sound like alot of fun but I don't want to drag my husband.I don't smoke and am not much of a drinker.
  • suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

I just sent an email to the tour company for pricing.  Let me know if you get another roommate but I'm interested if I can afford it.  I don't smoke either but do enjoy a drink or two.

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297

Sherry--so sorry to hear about your dad!  Your family has suffered so much...I'll be praying for extra blessings and peace for you!

Lynn--sorry about all the insurance crap--I'm still praying for you too!

Jo-Another seroma!  Bummer!  Hope this is the last one.  All the talk of cruises makes me want to go on one!  I've talked to my DH and we might look at going to Alaska next year.

What cruise lines do you all use?  Any to avoid?  I've heard one is more of a party ship, but I can't think of the name right now...one to avoid anyway.

Just finished another round of Herceptin, so a little sleepy.  Had a clean ct scan and my heart function has improved on the MUGA.  Things are going great--thank you Lord!

• Sherryc

Tmarina-glad your ct and muga came back good.  Praise God!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Mum-I bought lottery tickets for tonight's drawing.  I'll let you know tomorrow!!

• jo1955

TMarina - Good news on the CT and MUGA scans.

We do all our cruising on Carnival.  I can usually find great deals.  I have done some comparision shopping against some of the other lines and I found Carnival to be the best bargain for the buck and their cabins are the largest.  After comparing notes with some of my friends that don't use other cruise lines, it sounds like Carnival is the most casual and we like that.  Alway had an enjoyable time - so we keep going back.  That is just my opinion.

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Well I spoke with the Insurance company from DR. office.  They said it should get paid for.  I have a family who said to go and do it and we will figure it out later.  I have a brother who could pay for it if I had to ask him.  I just don't want to prolong my treatment any longer.  I feel helpless right now and not knowing what is going to happen. 

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Jo - hang in there and pick out the bathing suit...you are going on the water!! It will all work out.

• Meece

Well, Lynniea, you are lucky you have options.  You'll feel better mentally once you get the tx ball rolling.

• jo1955

Sandee - Already planning what to take on the cruise.  I need to get off my butt and get our shore excursions booked.  I definitely am looking forward to snorkeling in Cozumel.

Lynn - So glad you have some options.  You will feel much better once treatment is underway.  Hang in there. 

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Jo -Excellent news!!!! Are you going to Playa del Carmen too? Gorgeous boardwalk there! Will you have time to check out some of the ruins in the area? OooohHH fun!

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

Jo- if you need me to drag your butt on that boat in Galveston I will be happy to drive down there and do it:) Go and have fun my friend....it will be the BEST medicine of all:)