Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

mjbmiller, with LE the rule of thumb is always to act on it sooner rather than later.  Going to a LE therapist should be able to give you some relief from the symptoms and pain you are feeling, plus the therapy should halt any worsening.  I don't know if I have a perfect understanding of it, but once the fluid does not drain, the lymphatic vessels enlarge from the fluid getting trapped.  It is difficult (maybe not possible, I don't know) to shrink those lymph vessels back to their pre-LE state, so the idea is to work out the fluid thru' massage and try not to get that fluid backed up in the first place.  The longer the LE persists, the more the lymphatic network enlarges and the more difficult to prevent the fluid backing up and swelling. 

Does anyone on here have LE real bad?  I saw a woman at the one real-life support group I checked out.  Her arm looked twice the size of normal and that looked painful.  

• elimar

On another topic near and dear to us Middies, here's the latest linking hot flashes to heart health:

Study sees benefit to early menopause hot flashes

I'm automatically going to like anything that puts a positive spin on the hot flashes I have had so far, but now it seems the advantage is to have them early and be done with them early in menopause, so I hope mine are not planning to stick around too much longer, as i have had them a few years already.

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Hot flashes I have them to.  I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago for fibroid tumors.  It's nice not having monthly but the hot flashes are a bear. 

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

ah hot flashes...splitting the does in half means I don't break into a sweat but between 3 and 4 am every night, I wake up and strip!!! Good to hear they and tamoxifen are good for the heart!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Elimar - What happened to the picture at the top?  Did you do that on purpose?

• susantm
    susantm Member Posts: 71

Elimar, you may be okay. What my newspaper said is that it's okay if they stick around, as long as they started early. It's just the ones that start late in menopause that are a bad sign. Personally, I'm in the middle risk group, as I never had bad hot flashes. What I did have started early in my rather late-occurring menopause--I'm not totally sure what that means, but I can't do much about it, so I guess I won't worry about it.

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136

I'm off to see Brad Paisley, I'll check back in later.  Hope you ladies have a great evening!

• elimar
    jo, I am still seeing the same picture (of the howling she-wolves) at the top.  If you are not, I am not sure why???
  • sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

elimar this is whats showing now.

Wolves Pictures, Images and Photos

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

That is what I am seeing,too.

• elimar

????  Well, whatever the problem, or non-problem, the pic changes often enough, so it will be something else soon enough.

I put too much onion in some guacamole...can you smell it on me?  I am reeking of onions!!!  That's how my weekend is starting.

Have a good time tonight, dawney!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

So that's what the aroma wafting from my computer screen is.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

As usual on a Fri night I'm many pages back, so commenting on some older posts - I'll catch up!

Sunangel, one of my brothers (the one who walked me down the aisle 'cause my dad died when I was 9) died about 10 yrs ago on July 17.  Every year I find myself doing odd things around that time, and it always sneaks up on me until I realize - oh yeah - it's July.  Then I call or write to my sister, or one of my other 3 brothers - I'm one of six also - and get out all those emotions and then I'm ok.  I can't even fathom the loss of a child, it's just something that should ... not ... be.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

My hardest time is between August and September. My mother passed away in August and brother passed away in September. My mom's b'day is Sept 7th and brother's b'day is Sept 11th, mine is the 8th. I miss them both a lot.

Elimar - I have a sort cut to making guacamole, I get the ready made stuff in the produce section and add about three more avocados for consistency. It passes the mustard.

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

I'm seeing the same picture of the howling wolves too!

Glad to see the info about hot flashes.

AND, how lame am I?  I'm sitting at the computer on a Friday night (DH doesn't feel good and is in bed) and I'm watching My Big Redneck Wedding!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

suzwes - I am also sitting with the computer on my lap - DH is at his watching his TV and I am watching reruns of How It's Made - now that is lame!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Yep, DH in front of the TV....but my computer is about 7 feet away so it's all good!

• barbe1958

Dawny, my DD saw Brad Paisley about a month ago and got 3 of his guitars picks. She was in the front and held on to his boot for an entire song! At one point she even "touched his guitar"!!! I had to laugh at her enthusiasm as she had her DH with her and I wondered what he thought of it all. She's a cutie, so Brad didn't brush her off, that's for sure. Here she is with my first grandson Zachary.

• suzwes

Barbe,  She's gorgeous and Zachary is adorable!

Who is Brad Paisley? (I know, I'm old)

Jo, so glad I'm not the only lame person tonight, I've now moved on to Say Yes to the Dress on the learning channel.

• barbe1958
    I had to ask who Brad was and I was silly enough to ask on her Facebook page! Duh on me!! He's a, I'd say, country western singer...? Or do they call them country rock? I still dunno.....Tongue out
  • suzwes

Thanks Barbe, I don't feel so dumb now, especially if a smarty like you didn't know!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

I have lame for you.  Im watching a show that I have seen about a gazillon times.  And I dont wanna miss a second of it so I wait until the commercals to go peee.  Now thats sad.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

I had no idea who Brad was either.....thought I was missing something as a Northerner:) (lol). Lame is not watching TV...sound slike comfort and relaxation!! not sad..a woman who knows what she wants on a Friday night!

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

My daughter and I went to the movies and saw UNKNOWN.  It was a good suspense movie.  I also started watching Grey's Anatomy for the first time from the beginning.  I am on the second season I have always been the one to watch Dr shows.  Hope you all have a good night.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

I LOVE Liam Neeson - I can't wait to see Unknown! ....sigh....so many sexy men, so little time! 

I totally feel lame, too, sitting at home on a Friday night watching TV. But suzwes, you win! "My Big Fat Redneck Wedding"? Just the title of that has me laughing!

Well, ladies, at least I've HEARD of Brad Paisley! But I don't listen to country-ish music so I've never heard him sing. But here I am liking the country guy on American Idol! Just because his voice is so low, though. He sounds like your old-time country singers. Speaking of which, here my cousin is Randy Travis and I don't listen to country music! I thought he was so lame when we were teenagers because I liked Grand Funk Railroad and Eric Clapton and such. Well, who's laughing now, right Randy?

Barbe - your daughter is gorgeous and Zachary's a doll! What a great picture! I want to be a grandmother, too! But my son is only 21 so I'm not going to rush him.....still, I can't wait! 

• marlegal
    Eli, answering question about follow-ups....I'm more than 5 yrs out and still following with surgeon every six months.  I have an area in the affected breast (radiated) that's hard as a rock.  I love my BS because of her care for that area - it's been biopsied at least 4 times in various ways, and aside from mammos and mri's I've had a gamma imaging test done too (all neg thank God). Anyway I don't mind the follow-ups - every time someone tells me I'm doing good it makes me feel good. 
  • marlegal

About LE, I was dx'd with that more than 2 yrs after my surgery. Important for you all to know that it's not something just after surgery, which I had thought. There's good threads for LE here and I'm available for PMs on the subject. There ARE things you can do to avoid LE which is not commonly known.  I've been on soapboxes for that in the past and won't rant here - again - PM me for more info please if you're concerned. By all means see a trained LE therapist if you have any concern at all, they can give you tons of info to help. I didn't have that info ahead of time and now will wear a compression sleeve every day for the rest of my life. In the overall scheme of things that can happen after BC it's something I can deal with, and do deal with every day, but I'd do anything I can to help someone avoid that if possible.

• marlegal
    Paula, about Neulasta ... my shots were $3,200 if I got them in hospital and not covered. But I talked with my insurance rep - thank God he and I had a friendly relaitonship before that - and he told me that if I just got it from the pharmacy and self-injected, I would just pay my drug copay of $15.  So I had the chemo nurse train me in injection and then I shot myself up after my 8 chemos. Wasn't my first choice, but 15 vs 3,200 .. a no-brainer for me and to be honest, I kind of felt like super woman for doing it myself. Like very time I shot my thigh, I was saying FU to the chemo I hated. So for anyone whose insurance doesn't want to cover Neulasta injections in the hospital, see if you have that option.
  • marlegal
    Suz, just read your story about the penogram - I almost wish I had sons so I could do that!!!! 
  • marlegal

Barbe - O M G ... not sure who is more beautiful ... your daughter or that precious little boy. How blessed you are :)   I have one married DD (the other, older, still hoping/looking).  I sooo want a grandchild and confess to being envious or jealous of those of you who have that. But I love you all enough to be happy more than envious :)  Kiss them an extra time for those of us who are still waiting for that pleasure, okay?