Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Marlegal - You summed up this thread perfectly.  This is the place for just about anything.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    3jays
  • 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

cause we're always "all over the place!! welcome!!here..ahem somewhere3jays

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Lynnie, great news!! Hi gals, been AWOL for a few days. The weather here is just glorious and reminds me why I moved here. My little beach town is having a mini-carnival replete with fireworks every night off the beach (which I can see really well from my townhouse). It started with St Paddy's Day and a LOUD band that woke me up at 10. so I got up and enjoyed the music over the water. I can sleep with the windows open from around October through late April so am enjoying great sleeping weather.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.,

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I felt weird at my first 'Survivors Walk' as I was still alive! Go figure...but then, I had no breasts, so I guess I did have cancer at some point, so I qualified!

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Great pic, Barbe!!

• jo1955

Love the pic Barbe!

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

Lynniea- YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere- welcome, and while sorry you had to join us, glad to *meet* you:)

Barbe- what a doll:) You look like a damn kid instead of a gramma:)

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Hi ladies Good morning Made some soup for lunch.  Feeling a little better had no bm for a few days.  I feel a little better now.  Thanks for the happy dance.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

lynniea - they always gave me 2 tylenol before they started treatment.

Newlasta shot sucked, but did it's job.

Good job ladies, glad you both are doing well.

• somewhereinbetween
    somewhereinbetween Member Posts: 9

Thank all of the women that welcomed me. I wanted to tell Barbara you look really awesome and most of all you look happy. I guess I am glad to know that I can still live a fruitful life and don't have to be defined by my diagnosis. Thank you for words of encouragement and wisdom sent from the airwaves via the internet. You are right I have haven't posted anything other than what I know for sure; that I have breast cancer. I recieved pathology reports from initial biopsy performed and was diagnosied with IDC and IDCS. I just has surgery done March 16, 2011 for a right radical masectomy with removal of nodes to determine what stage. I have not recieved path reports back as of yet. I am still somewhereinbetween all of this. "Wondering now whether I should have had the left breast removed." 

• jo1955

somewhereinbetween - It is old saying - shoulda, woulda, coulda.  The is disease always keeps us guessing and wondering if we are making the right decisions.  We just have our instincts to rely on - that and the information given to us.  Each of us have had some really hard personal decisions to make and you can always go back and have the other breast removed if that is what you want.  You do have some control over what happens.  Just breathe and let some of all this soak in first before doing anything else.

'These ladies are so supportive - hang out here - you will get through this. 

• barbe1958

I agree with Jo, you can always take the second breast off...can you imagine if you were typing "I wish I had left the other breast on!"

• jo1955

Barbe - I hadn't thought of that.  In the beginning - I second guessed myself for quite sometime.  I did have a lumpectomy - tumor was really small - but I kept asking myself if I should have had a mastectomy instead.  I have seen others with the same dx as me and they had the breasts taken off.  Then I stop and remember how much the word mastectomy scared the hell out of me - then I am back to being okay with my decision.  I'm telling you, this disease keeps you wondering.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

somewhereinbetween--try to hang in until you get the final pathology reports.  Future treatment choices will be determined by the combination of clean margins or not, node inolvement or not, ER/PR and Her2 status, maybe Oncotype scoring.  Once you have all the info you can begin intelligently researching the options.  There are a lot more things to think about than just the diagnosis when deciding on mastectomy or not.  Just keep in mind that there IS time to think and research.  Easier said than done, I know from experience.  And yes, the beast will keep you second guessing yourself if you let it. 

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Hi all - it is a personal choice that only you can make. I would say we all are comfortable with our decision.

My SIL made it through the surgery fine. She will have to live with a pouch for four months until her intestines heal. They will at that time if the surgery fixed the damage.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726

the only "walk" I do is Susan's in Philly on Mother's Day and I also didn't do it right away, have been doing since 1999 and was diagnosed in 1996 and now I just have to do it it, last year was the first year with the recurrence and this year will be there again......unfortunatelly I go alone cause my kids who are adults don't want to participate but that is ok, the twins who are now 17 have gone with me and taken turns but not anymore...still I will go...for me...not for them....

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

blondiex46, welcome to our thread, where we do our best "act our age" and once in a while actually succeed.  You made me check the calendar to see if the Relay was on Mother's Day.  I'm relieved that it is not.  I've had too many Mother's Days scheduled with Cub Scout camping and competitive soccer games starting at 8 a.m. that I am not looking to share the day with another activity.  This past Fall, my teen son volunteered with me for a Making Strides event, but I bet the novelty will have worn off if I do that again in the Fall this year.

somewhereinbetween, welcome also!   Do you know how many nodes they removed?  They told me that when i was in recovery...well, maybe because I asked them.  Keep us posted on your pathology findings.  

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

I apologize not welcoming the new comers. My mind has been elsewhere, have been having more head aches. May need to talk to my Dr about it four days waking up with a sore head and is not because of indulging in too much drink. I am sure it is allergies it has been real windy here

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Welcome newbies this is a great place for support. Hope everyone is having s great weekend

Thanks for all the comments for relay etc. I will probably be fine but will just have to do it and see how I feel about it.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Jo, again, our similarities amaze me :)  I had "just" a lumpectomy too based on dr's recommendation and I chose her because of her credentials and I trusted her.  I was just too overwhelmed with information to decide on my own.  I've often thought "should I have ..." but that ship sailed, so I just keep the positive attitude.  I know it's not a magic number, but crossing the 5 year mark last August felt like affirmation of my decision in some way. 

somewhereinbetween, I hope the remainder of your treatment, whatever that might involve, goes well for you.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726

thank you for you welcome, appreciate it.

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Hi Middies,

Welcome to our new posters, this is a fabulous group of women and I agree a great place to share about anything in our lives.

Annette, so glad your surgery went well.

It is hard to know we are making the right decisions, but I have been comfortable with following doctors advice and going with the lumpectomy figuring I could go for more if needed but Like it was pointed out you can't put it back. It is most important that we are comfortable with our decisions and make the right one for us at that time.

I am done with first half of Chem, last EC was thursday, next round starts the 4 Taxols. Meet the rad doc just before the next session. Worried about them I sunburn easily and wonder if that means I will burn on the rads, Also worrried about left side heart issues Dad had heart issues and don't want to add to to my list , Doc is highly recommended so we will see what he says and research.

On a life note DS is home for spring break from college, we have not seen him in person since Christmas week. Went to airport to pick him up with DH, happy to have everyone home for a week.

Tomorrow a family dinner celebration for a sister who was just married. WIll take a nap before so I don't need one in the middle :)

{{{{{hugs to all}}}}

Love the Eichner puddle pic.

Jean

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    Jean I have fair skin and did ok with rads.  In addition to the cream they told me to use, I used 100% aloe gel (cheap, any drugstore has) after each treatment.  Good luck!  And I hope you have a wonderful time at dinner tomorrow night ... I remember very well when our dd's would come home from college, a special time :)
  • jo1955

marlegal - My surgeon was amazing and I trusted his advice.  When he told me I had cancer, it was the last thing I expected him to say to me.  No family history at all and I did not even think about cancer when I went for the biopsy - how dumb was I?  I literally walked about for 2 weeks just numb as could be.  What ever a doctor told me to do, I just did it - no argument, not a lot of questions at that point.  I don't regret my decision - like it has been pointed out and I have said it, I can always go back and have the breast removed later.

• barbe1958

mjbmiller thanks for the update on your SIL and please get those headaches checked!! Have you tried a Tylenol for allergies??

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Morning all and welcome all who are new to the group.  This is a great place to be.  They are helpful bunch. 

I too found that in the end the decision regarding my breast and what to do was mine.  I deceided that cancer was there but it wasnt going to control me I was gonna be in control of that. In the end having them both removed was the right thing for me. This is something that has to come from inside and what feels right to you.  My doctoer told me that it was up to me and that kknow matter what I wanted to do wasnt gonna please everyone.  But that was ok because in the end they are my breasts and its my choice.  Good Luck. 

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

morning everyone! it is so cool watching this forum grow with wonderful people- I learn so much from all of you..

Have a great Sunday.

Annette

• barbe1958

Not so quick Annette! How are you doing??

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I told my PS one time that I wished I had had a MX, and he said "No you don't."  He feels it is best if you can keep your breast (If it is safe) when you can.  And that's from a man who makes his money by reconstructing new ones.  It comes down to what you are comfortable with, and what your diagnosis indicates.