Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

what a heavenly pic!  thanks for sharing.  i go see my surgeon for results of my lumpectomy & 2 nodes tomorrow.  i have preliminary results so am hopefully not going in for a sucker punch.  hugs to all - martha

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Is it true it dosn't even smell the same it smells like medicine.  Am I crazy or is it true.  I want it all gone.  not just in spirts falling out

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Lynniea my hair started falling out while I was on a cruise ship I felt so bad for the cabin maid there was hair everywhere.When we got home my daughter shaved off the hair that was left.Good excuse to buy pretty scarves and hats.

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145

lynniea I found the process of my hair falling out the worst; in the shower, on my clothes, in my bed, on the floor, everywhere.  I really wish I had it shaved.  I planned on walking into one of the local barbers where all the kids go and just have it buzzed off, probably would have taken 1 minute.  By the time I made that decision it was done...mumayan is right about the scarves and hats...do yourself a favor and have it buzzed.

good luck to everyone going for tests and/or receiving results!  i was supossed to start radiation yesterday but unfortunately my machine needed repair so i start today.

we're all going to get through this (I just keep telling myself...)

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

mostlymom -  Hope you hear good news when you see the surgeon.  Please let us know what you find out.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I had a little cotton cap to wear to bed so the hair fell out into it insead of all over the bed.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Greetings mostlymom, hope you hear those two lovely words from your surgeon:  Clear Margins.  If you don't, getting re-excision is fairly commonplace.  You are Grade 3.  Will you be needing chemo. or going directly to radiation?

[Opinionated segment interval -- Sometimes I wonder why re-excision is so common.  Can't they "do a good job" the first time?  Having to go back is a major drag.  Come to think of it, that might be a good question to hit a surgeon with before they do the deed:  "What is your percentage rate for re-excision?"  Would they admit to a high percentage or just rattle off a low number anyway? Hmm?]

Greetings kal_1865, radiation is one of the many treatments we love to hate around here.  My skin held up pretty well.  I used Fruit of the Earth !00% Aloe Vera gel (WalMart--about $3.00) and I do think it was helpful at soothing the radiated skin.  If you start to blister, the Silvadene is supposed to be good.  The doc might have samples or can give you a script if needed.  From everything I have read over the last year and  a half, most women DO get a tightening on the radiated side.  It has been that long since I finished rads and I'm still stretching!

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

((((Lynniea)))) - I had my DIL shave my head when I started to lose my hair.  I was sad but it was much easier to clean up.

Happy belated birthday Mum!!!  Here's a blast from the past!

• elimar

Happy Birthday, mumayan!  I haven't baked a cyber cake in a while.  This one looks too pretty to eat...ALMOST!

60th Birthday Cake Pictures, Images and Photos

• kal_1865

happy b'day mumayan!  that's some cake...

elimar thanks for the welcome and the cream advice but my RO is insistant about me using ONLY Lansinoh cream (cream for breast feeding mothers...ironic?) and it's lanolin based.  I've read the rads forums and everyone says to stay away from lanolin products.  I know several people that have used this RO but i never asked them about the creams they used.  I have to believe she knows what she's doing.

• jo1955

Happy B'day Mumayan

Boy! Where have my manners gone off to.  Welcome kal_1865 

• suzwes

Oops, my manners too.  Welcome Kal_1865 and any other newcomers I missed welcoming.  This is a terrific thread!

• elimar

Kal_1875, although a lanolin based ointment would keep the breast moisturized, it seems like it would keep the heat in.  Rads is often compared to a heavy duty sunburn and I would not think to put the lanolin on that, whereas I have used aloe for sunburn before.  Definitely see if you can hear some first hand reports of success with the lanolin from the other patients there, and do let us know the outcome if you use it exclusively.  We just like to know what works, and pass the info. on to others. "Rads tested, B/C women approved."

• suzwes

Kal_1875, my two cents - I used aquaphor at the recommendation of my rad onc nurse and doc and then my rad onc (from U of Michigan) gave me a script and it was a very good lotion.  I'm traveling for work until Saturday night but I'll get the name of the script when I get home and let you know the name on Sunday.  PM me if you have any questions, I went through mx., chemo (ACT) and rads. a year ago. 

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Lynniea when my hair started coming out in clumps I asked my DH to shave it for me. So a Sat. afternoon he shaved it down to about 1/2 in. It was an emotional time but wouldn't have it any other was. The rest came out in the shower.

My SIL got home from the hospital Sunday and resting well. She had a bowel obstruction that was traced back to her hysterectomy. I know we all take chances when we have surgery of any kind. It is good to know what to ask and what to expect. That is why I love these discussion boards.

I saw my OB/GYN last week and got the results back today, all negative. So one less thing to worry about for the next year. Got my compression sleeve and is helping the pains in my arm. The cording has almost gone away. Had my last PT appointment this week have a follow up in four weeks.

Tomorrow is my cancerversary, not for sure what tomorrow brings but I count my blessing that my Lord has walked with me this past year and has given me the courage to go on.

• jo1955
    mjbmiller - Seems you have two things to celebrate.  Congrats on the negative tests from the gyn.  Doing the happy dance with you on your cancerversary.  One down and many, many more to go.
  • lynniea

I am up early for 2nd chemo treatment.  God has been so good to me.  We had a special church seervice.  The preacher ask for me to pray for me he did not know anything and God spoke to him to tell me everything is going to be all right.  God uses so many different ways to encourage us.

g

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Thinking of you today Lynn.  (((hugs)))

• jo1955

Lynn - Sending gentle hugs your way today.

• Meece

We're with you, Lynniea.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Lynn praying for you today

mjbmiller-congrats on your cancerversay and and on a clean gyno report.  God is good!

• elimar

HAPPY CANSERVERSARY mjbmiller!!!

You got your one year pin now!          

• Meece
  • kal_1865

thank you EVERYONE for the warm welcome and advise.

mjbmiller wow congrats on 1 year and good test results, can't get much better than that

lynneia the chemo is difficult but manageble don't succumb to thinking that you will have the side effects that anyone else has.  just make sure when you feel something that is not right for your body that you tell your MO; verrrrrry important!!!!  drink lots and lots of water, it does really help your system.

well off to rads # 2...

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Kal-1865 good luck today on rads its over before you know it.

Lynniea good luck to you today, take a nap during your treatment, take a nap after your treatment. Just get your rest and drink lots of water.

Thanks everyone for the support, it's going to be a great day.

• brendaclee3
    brendaclee3 Member Posts: 7

I had invasive breast cancer 12 years ago and I'm still fine.  I feel blessed.  I have a friend who had breast cancer, then it went to her spine and then her brain.  After chemo, it all went away and hasn't come back.  That  was 6 years ago and she is back to jogging and looks great.  Modern medicine is a miracle.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{{MJB}}} Congrats!! I am a month behind you. My cancervesary is 4/28. It is a beautiful day!

Lynnie, holding your cyber hand today.

Welcome, Brenda!

• elimar
    brendaclee3, I could read posts like yours all day!!!  Welcome!
  • lynniea

Well ladies no chemo today my port moved and no blood flow back.  Same Day Surgery tomorrow to fix it and chemo on Friday.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Lynniea what rotten luck.  Will be praying for your day surgery