Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    HnS, before B/C I would have to wait some days for a letter about the mammo results.  (Well, I could have called, really.)  But now that I am on the 6 mos. B/C f/u mammo program, I get the results of that before I leave the Breast Center.  It makes the day a little longer while I wait to hear, but I leave the place knowing what's up.  At least the anxiety of waiting at home for some days is eliminated.
  • heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Our mammo department gives you the results after you wait a little while, too, but usually they say, "Everything's fine, see you next time!" This time, they said, "Well, there's a little something on there he doesn't like....", so I left the place pretty much stunned, and after I gathered my wits about me, I decided I was going to get some clarification about that from my onc, who wasn't conveniently available for a few days. Next mammo I get, if they stun me again, I'm not leaving until I talk to the radiologist himself/herself/itself.

• elimar

All the anxiety, twice the wait, huh?  That is annoying!

• heartnsoul76

Oh, the waiting! I guess it's all part of our "new normal" - haha, I have come to really dislike that phrase.

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Hi ladies I feel good today so far after chemo yesterday.  A little nausea but pills took it away.  I also took my daughter out driving she did very well.  Nerve racking but she had to do it.  I love the weather maybe a little walk after a little nap.

• heartnsoul76

lynniea - you're doing great - I was usually in bed the next few days! Hope you have a nice walk - the weather IS great!

• elimar
    lynniea, I don't know if it is the same for chemo, but when I was getting radiation fatigue it was recommended to "walk off" the fatigue, if at all possible.  My breast center even had a gentle exercising class for people in rads.  (I never did go, so I don't know if that was for chemo people too.)   Getting the blood circulating well has got to help the chemo do it's job, I would think.
  • Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Elimar Im as big as I want to be with the TE.  I have to go back for 1 fill.  This is what they call the over fill.  After that I just hang out, lol waiting for my exchang date.  I cant do that until im three months past chemo.  That puts me around Sept or Oct. 

Im glad they use the big guns first when it comes to the chemo.  I think since the A/c is so nasty they dont want people to stop because they feel they had the taxlol and that would be ok.  I dont know if I could back out.  I was in it to win it and I been this far, no turning back.

The waiting on the mammos can be crazy.  Im just glad I waited until I talked with my doctor.  I know its a wait but if it wasnt for her I woulda been in big trouble the first time.  They said I was ok until the next year and see ya.  Well she calls and wants me to go meet with a BS about a spot.  Well it turned out to be cancer.  I woulda been in big trouble by the time I felt it because it was almost to the chest muscle and woulda grown like crazy until I found it. 

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Eli the mammo center where I go now does the same thing - I generally take a 1/2 day, making my appt about 8:00 in the morning, hoping to be in office about noon.  If it's earlier, that's a bonus! Our radiologist actually comes out and gets you and takes you into a room if you're a BC survivor to go over the results. And if there's any teeny question about anything, you instantly go in for an US.  Not that I would have signed up for this club necessarily, but the after-care is at least excellent anyway!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

I have always had to wait for my mammo results usually in the form of a letter from the gyn's office that comes in the mail up to 2 weeks after.  That was for the annual screening mammo.  When I had my diagnostic mammo and US last year it was several days before my gyn called and told me I needed to have a biopsy.  When I got that call I was out of town attending a convention.  He did not know that at the time.  I don't know what it will be like this time around.  I am going for a diagnostic on June 3rd which my onc scheduled for me but I don't see him for my 4 month followup until June 20th.  I hope I don't have to wait 17 days to hear something back.

• heartnsoul76

marlegal - I would LOVE it if that was how ours worked! I think I'll suggest it! The message I got about my mammo not quite looking right came from the technician, but it's what the radiologist told her. If I'd had my wits about me, I would have done one of those, "Well, ask him this..." and she could go back and forth until he gave up and came in and talked to me himself.

jo - I sure hope you don't have to wait 17 days, either! Maybe with it being a diagnostic mammo, they will tell you right then and there. 

• jo1955

heartnsoul - I sure hope I don't either.  The facility I go to is outside the hospital it is affilitated with and I don't know if they send the films to the main hospital to be read or what the deal is.  I never thought to ask before.  Didn't need to.  I do remember when I had my diagnostic mammo and then the US right after I saw the tumor but the tech would not tell me anything.  She said she was not allowed to but did ask me if I would mind if she got someone else to look at it.  Of course, that was okay with me.  You have to understand that during all this, I did not even think about the possibility of cancer.  When I saw the white spot, I thought it was a cyst or something - how dumb was that?  Guess I have learned my lesson and will be asking a lot more questions when I go in this time.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Well last year & this year, I had to wait about a week for results from my bilat mammo & the singular one in between--I'm not happy about it-pitched a fit last year- didn't do any good, so this year I wasn't too much in a tizzy---but I truly think for BC survivors there should be guidelines in place to let us know before we leave the building--how hard can it be? 

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

ok 4 days since my TE surgery. Home 3 nights so far. I was doing pretty well but today was bad. I took all my meds before i ate at 7am and i got really nauseaus all day. I finally threw up around 4pm.I felt a lot better after that but still feel sick. I am afraid to take the antibiotic now or anything for pain. I am thinking maybe wait to take now until tomrrow maybe i can get more food down. I just ate two ravioli and a banana. Tummy is not happy.

• jo1955

Joni2 - I totally agree with you.  BC survivors should not have to wait more than a few  hours for their test results.  Don't these people know how much stress it puts on us to have to wait days or weeks.

Carrol2 - I hope you feel much better tomorrow.  Sending gentle hugs

• marlegal

Jo, about seeing things on the mammo - after my dx, my surgeon showed me the mammo and pointed out the tumor - I still had no clue - I saw the US and the MRI - ditto.  We are not trained to see those things - no way is that something 90% of women would ever recognize.

Eph, since I went to a teaching/university/hospital I guess that's how they do things. I confess I'm ignorant enough that I never took into account that might not be how all hospitals/centers do things. I agree, for BC patients, there should be universal standards that match what goes on in my hospital.

Carrol, is that usual for you to have those symptoms do you know? I didn't have TE surgery so I don't know, but 3 days out to have nausea seems odd to me.  Maybe just bad luck that you got a stomach virus at same time?

• eph3_12

Carrol, I'm with marlegal on your tummy trouble--break out the 7-up & saltines if it's not better in the AM.

• lynniea

I think a lot has to do with my God He has everykthing in control

• eph3_12

BTW-DD is home from Italy!  She allowed me to drive her here, where upon she dropped off her luggage & asked to go with friends to another friend's for a couple hours.  So I still have peace & quiet until 11:30......I think I'm a softie!

• lynniea

If I don't hear anything in a couple of days I call the droctor office.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

wow- i missed ya all while I was gone and there is so much to catch up with- let me just send out good wishes and outcomes to all...

NYC was a blast but my new *boobs* set off the full body scanner- that was FUN. The TSA woman came up to pat my chest down and I snarled- BACK OFF LADY YOU ARE NOT TOUCHING ME! I had already told them before the scanner that I had just had exchange surgery, etc...I told her this, she said I have to- I said nope- you are not gonna grope me there...have at anywhere else=not there- wanna see my boob id cards? it was a mess...then she came back and said- OK we will just test your hand?! Sheesh...

What a flipping surprise when I got to my hotel- I decided on Waldorf after booking a cheapo rate (matched what the sales team had to pay at Sheraton)....I checked in and they upgraded me to a corner luxury king executive suite! hahaha- oh joy-I had a foyer, a living room-fireplace, a bedroom, a dressing room and the coolest art deco black and white marble bath-all said the suite was about 1000 sqft. It was absolutely wonderful to be spoiled like that for a week. I walked all day Sunday and Monday- took the SI ferry and waved at the old girl in the harbor-then scored some funky loots and a coat in Soho and the Village. Oh yeah, I worked too hahaha a little. This post sounds shallow but you know what, after so much crap it felt good to be just a little shallow. I met some incredible people and it is always great to get so much good feedback from clients.

Finally made it to PJ CLarkes and low and behold, there was Alec Baldwin...I gotta say- he was kind of underwhelming except for his magnificent hair:0 I must admit that was the strangest meal I have ever had as I sat with 6 guys and took them through the BC process to date...it was pretty cool.

Met with PS when I got home and he is happy with how things are going- will see him once a week for next three weeks and then see when we go for the nips...

I am nervous as the time for my intitial followup visits (3 mos) are coming with onc...oh well...I am gonna go plant some flowers today- I went nuts buying them (which is crazy since I have no $) hahaha

Have a glorious Sunday and be good to yourself:)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Annette, that sounds like the perfect trip!!! Except for the TSA - what the heck is your hand going to show??? If you've loaded a bomb recently?? Like GSR (gunshot residue)?

Joni, I can just imagine you pitching a fit!! hehhee  If you admit to THAT, then it must have been a tantrum, actually!! The more you dug your heels in, the more they were sure they wouldnt comply. Y'all should have known better!!

Carol, you have to take the meds WITH food. Otherwise you get an upset tummy. Proof was yesterday!

• jo1955

marlegal - I saw the spot on the US.  When the tech was in that area it showed up well, but when she went to the other side of the boob it disappeared.  She had a hard time finding it when she went back to the original area.  Again, I was so stupid, I thought it was just a cyst or something - guess cuz it was so small.  I did ask her about it and she said she was not allowed to comment at all, I would have to wait for the results after the radiologist looked at it.  If there is a next time, I am going to insist on having the radioligist look at it right away.

annettek - Sounds like the perfect trip. The hotel sounds like a palace and what a way to spoil yourself.  It is not shallow - it is something you more than deserve.  So glad you have a wonderful time and was able to do some sightseeing.

Carol - I hope you get relief for the tummy problems. 

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Felling a lot better today still a bit iffy. I did eat some saltines. Got a packet of isntant oatmeal down and an ensure and i just ate a fudge pop. so not too bad. I took one antibiotic and one protonix gonna try another antibiotic at 4:00 that will be 6 hours like the instructions say. Keeping the saltines handy really helps. Took a shower. I have two surgical bras. The one they put me in at surgery and one they gave me to take home. The one they put me in is way tighter around the waist makes it hard to breathe and the other is really high on the armpits but looser much more comfy. I washed that one and i am wering the tight one till it dries. I am pretty miserable can;t wait for this to pass.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

It will pass Carroll and the exchange is NOTHING like that for most of us. It is just temporary, remember that and part of the healing. Those big old hard coconuts will be a distant memory one day- it is kind of like childbirth to me. I know they were horrid and uncomfortable but I can't FEEL it like I did when I was going through it. That's a good thing:) Keep on those antibiotics no matter what. Eat a slice of bread if you have to but you need those to fight off any infection. My hubby bought me some bagels when I felt nauseated and man, they were good:) Not so good for my butt, but good:) hahaha

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Carol sorry you are feeling bad, hope the tummy trouble go away if not call the dr.

On the discussion of mammo's.  I have my first f/u scheduled for April 18th and will see the RO on April the 25th.  I am also seeing my gyno on April 18th for my yearly so she will call me in a couple of days and give me the results.  Otherwise I would have to wait until I see the RO to get them.  The RO's nurse is not always very nice so I planned it this way so I did not have to wait a week to get them. If I get bad news I'm calling my BS and not waiting.

• marlegal

I feel guilty at the things I take for granted ... I assumed all hospitals or mammo centers gave results instantly to anyone who had been previously dx'd with BC. I had no idea that some still made you wait. That's just not right :(  Next time I'm feeling impatient while in the waiting room before the radiologist comes in, I'll stop and realize how grateful I should be that I'm only waiting a matter of minutes instead of days.

Have a great week ladies ... I'll probably pop on a couple times to get a sneak peak at what's going on, but generally don't stop to post till the weekend.  Oh - but I won't have much time next weekend because I'm going to Baltimore to meet up with a friend I "met" in chat, but first time we'll meet in person.  I am soooo excited about it :) 

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Have a good time Marlegal!!! 

Carrol I hope ya get better soon. 

I was just telling my mom I dont see how Im gonna have room for my final fill.  They fill so tight as it is.  But Im sure I will get thru it just fine.  There has been so much that I've had to learn  since this happened, but I will get there.  Just gotta remember to take it one day at a time.

Annette its good to see how well your getting along.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726

have a good time Marlegal that is so cool!!!!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Carrol, I cannot take ay meds first thing in the morning,  I have to have something on my stomach.  If I do take something, even Tylenol, and do not have anything with it, I will get nasueous to the point of throwing up.  The discomfort lasts all day.  This happens especially with pain meds or antibiotics.  Try a half a peanut butter sandwich, or something like that before taking your meds.